PDA

View Full Version : where can one pick up brass

statb
05-10-2009, 7:41 PM
Where can I go to pick up fired brass, ranges??

mattman
05-10-2009, 8:33 PM
Its all mine ahahhahahah. Non for you!:chris:

domokun
05-10-2009, 8:39 PM
Its all mine ahahhahahah. Non for you!:chris:

Stay away from Norcal.... all that brass is mine! :chris:

JagerTroop
05-10-2009, 9:11 PM
Most ranges have a policy... you can only pickup your own brass, unless given the OK by your neighboring shooters (but not always). I highly doubt any ranges will allow you to come in and pilfer their brass.

You could try doing your own BLM cleanup :shrug: But unless you get there shortly after a shoot, it will most likely be tarnished crap.

joelogic
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Where can I pick up brass? Hey, where can I get free ammo?

7222 Hawker
05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Police ranges are the best bet. Better make friends though!

dartbrandx
05-18-2009, 4:29 PM
Where can I pick up brass? Hey, where can I get free ammo?

lol!! Me too....Me too...:jump:

Greg-Dawg
05-18-2009, 7:07 PM
Not sure where you're located, just call your local range and see if you can pick some up.

Sabot
05-18-2009, 7:12 PM

Go to an outdoor range. Shoot your gun and proceed to pick up your own brass. Use a coffee can and pick up a little extra that is lying around. I usually bring home 4X more than I shoot.

:thumbsup:

XD 40
05-18-2009, 7:20 PM
In Sacramento I see the range at The Gun Room sells the used brass 5.99 for 200 .40

operationblackwater
05-18-2009, 8:48 PM
Go to an outdoor range. Shoot your gun and proceed to pick up your own brass. Use a coffee can and pick up a little extra that is lying around. I usually bring home 4X more than I shoot.

Good advice, except you might want to ask your neighbors whether they want their brass or not.

cousinkix1953
05-18-2009, 11:55 PM
When duck season begins, you can go to those state and federal refuges on "non-shooting" days and pick up shotgun shells too. Fish & Game might be happy to see less trash left in these facilities. We used to have a garbage can full of 12 guage shells a few years ago...

rmasold
05-19-2009, 8:08 AM

+1:thumbsup:

rjf
05-20-2009, 8:04 AM
I pick up all can at NF shooting sites. Rarely is anyone there, and many people just leave their brass and trash on the ground. I usually get 308, 223, 30-30, .45, .44, .40, .38, 9mm, in good quantities. I also pick up the shotgun shells and target trash (TVs, phone books, computers, etc) just to make the place look better. Seems like once you clean a place up once, it tends to stay cleaner. So take your trash and leave your brass, I will pick it up.

photog
05-20-2009, 8:33 PM
June lake range. Mammoth Range. Bishop gun club. these are all on the net if you look them up.

AndrewMendez
05-21-2009, 3:37 AM
I was at Burro Canyon a couple days ago, and a Sniper that worked with Orange County was shooting. he went through about 500 rounds in the time I was there. He saw my buddy picking up his 30 30 and called him crazy! I laughed and asked why, then he asked, "What are you going to do with that, sell it as scrap??? Needless to say, i got a bunch of 30 06, .308 and 223 once fired brass after he left!

Sky_DiveR
06-08-2009, 9:23 AM
To the OP, I recommend trying wherever you go shooting first. Whether it is at the indoor range, outdoor range, National Forest, etc. You may want to ask the range officer or check for signs at the ranges first tho. Some ranges want whatever brass that falls on the floor cuz they make extra cash from it. If not, don't forget to ask the shooter next to you... I remember someone picking up my brass and I told him I reload/keep my brass. He obviously didn't like it and threw my brass back on the floor... like I just insulted his grandmother or something. Maybe he figured I should have told him before he started picking up my brass behind me... dunno :shrug:

Anyways, then just check the phone book for other ranges, and ask/talk to other people at the range. Some of them shoot at different places... where you can also pick-up more brass. Be creative I was talking to one guy that was shooting at the range and he said he also shoots at his uncles ranch but he doesn't reload. I told him I reload... among other things. Guess what... the next time I saw him he had 2 big money bags full of brass for me... and I got another place to shoot and a hunting buddy to boot. To this day, he calls me up to give me brass and shoot the bull.

"Ask... and ye shall receive!" Just ask, cuz... "Shy kids don't get fed"

forgiven
06-08-2009, 11:06 PM
All the places I normally pick up brass in the NF is getting pretty lean. More competition and less people shooting.

Meka
11-28-2009, 1:54 PM
Both indoor ranges in my area will not let you pick up your brass.
The would rather sort and sale in back to guys like me that reload!
Awhile back on of these ranges made me dump all the brass out of my range bag back on the range floor before the would give me my membership card back.

Seesm
11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I am not telling you were I get mine... GEEEZ... :)

ZakAttackMan
12-03-2009, 1:37 AM
Awhile back on of these ranges made me dump all the brass out of my range bag back on the range floor before the would give me my membership card back.

Screw them find another range, I think ranges that are like that should change there ways if you pay for the brass that you are shooting than it is yours to take back home with you. I'm sure someone could rase a legal issue with "Brass Ownership", and their minds would quickly change. But than again I have never and will never shoot at a range like that.

Eat Dirt
12-03-2009, 8:37 AM

That just ain't right ....

If they asked that of me .I would of poured it down the back of my britches first,, so it all could rub against my sweaty 'Backside' on the way down
" Here you go boys .. Now pick that up !! "

bombadillo
12-03-2009, 8:42 AM
Just don't be "That Guy" that hordes around you and talking with you just to watch you eject your shells as he's practically catching them hot out of the gun. If a guy is shooting a pile of brass and making no attempt to pick it up, ASK FIRST, then proceed to picking it up once you've made your effort.

4X4Guns
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Just don't be "That Guy" that hordes around you and talking with you just to watch you eject your shells as he's practically catching them hot out of the gun. If a guy is shooting a pile of brass and making no attempt to pick it up, ASK FIRST, then proceed to picking it up once you've made your effort.

+1 At one of my outings at Angeles, I had to shoot 10 rounds pick up shoot another 10 rounds and pickup because If I did not, the guys next to me would sweep my stuff and theirs. WTF. It was my worst Angeles outing ever. I had to argue with them to leave my ammo alone. That day, I shot like 500 rounds of 9mm and walked out with about 100 brass casings :(

ZakAttackMan
12-03-2009, 11:47 AM
+1 At one of my outings at Angeles, I had to shoot 10 rounds pick up shoot another 10 rounds and pickup because If I did not, the guys next to me would sweep my stuff and theirs. WTF. It was my worst Angeles outing ever. I had to argue with them to leave my ammo alone. That day, I shot like 500 rounds of 9mm and walked out with about 100 brass casings :(

Poor etiquette I always ask first

Spaceghost
12-03-2009, 1:40 PM
PM oaklander and ask which areas to avoid, should be lots of brass there.

Joey_H
12-03-2009, 3:41 PM
At Angeles the rangemasters don't have a problem with anyone picking up brass from the dirt in front of the shooting benches. They can't exactly sweep the dirt after all. But don't touch anything in those brass buckets! ;)

sirnonz
12-04-2009, 12:46 AM
you can pick up my brass, but normally ranges around here states that you can only pick up your own brass

oso grande
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=midwayusa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Sleepsnoors
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
watch out for the old man at angeles, dude with the mustache and a shade of gray hair, skinny guy. I notice he likes to take people's brass. I've actually sat back and watch him walk back and forth collecting a guy shooting 308 brass, and when i confronted him about it, the dude try to blame us for not cleaning up our brass! Well afterward he left us alone and started picking up another shooter's brass at the far end.

tbhracing
01-26-2010, 1:19 AM
I am new to this section, but go to the open public range above Carson City, NV. LOTS of fresh spend brass on the ground.

five.five-six
01-26-2010, 2:03 AM

I have a range that will sell me casings for $1.70/lb/ same price the scrap guy pays. I am going to try and trade them pound for pound for my bucket of spent primers/bent casings and Berdan primed brass

forgiven
01-26-2010, 5:42 AM
Man, the OP asked way back in May. I wonder if he's still around?