PDA

View Full Version : Failing the HSC

jlchavis0844
05-10-2009, 7:35 PM
While I was taking the HSC test a few days ago, my girlfriend was talking to the woman behind the gun counter about the test. She told the employee that I was a former Marine, NRA member, and lifetime gun owner that would easily ace the test. The chick behind the counter laughed and began to tell her that guys come in thinking they are macho and know what they are doing, only to fail miserably. I passed without missing a single question. My questions is, did anyone here ever fail the test? I'm sure someone has, hopefully they will be honest enough to tell us.

cal3gunner
05-10-2009, 7:40 PM
I got a perfect score and my girlfriend at the time missed one question, but hey what do you expect from a pretty blonde.

Rule .308
05-10-2009, 7:41 PM
I've taken it twice in the past 6 or so years and aced it both times. This brings up a point that always boils my blood, why is there an experation date on it? Just another ploy by the gun grabbing liberals that run this state to seperate us from our guns.

And to answer your question, no, I have never met anybody that would admit to failing it and I would have to guess that those that do are either terminally stoooooooooooooopid or, more than likely, have serious language barrier.

TZL
05-10-2009, 7:43 PM
Perfect score here....what do you expect when questions are like this:

1) Do you point your gun at:

a) a safe direction
b) your face
c) your crotch
d) your friend's face
e) your friend's crotch

ro442173
05-10-2009, 7:43 PM
My wife and I both got 100% without studying. It's pretty much common sense stuff. I can't see anyone failing it.

Danield
05-10-2009, 7:45 PM
Perfect score here....what do you expected when questions are like this:

a) a safe direction
b) your face
c) your crotch
d) your friend's face
e) your friend's crotch

I'll go with E. Final answer.

liketoshoot
Nope, I pased it the first time and I did not even read the book. It is just all common sense and I hope that those that did fail it had something very important going on in their head to not pass it.

ExcitedPanda
Perfect score here....what do you expected when questions are like this:

a) a safe direction
b) your face
c) your crotch
d) your friend's face
e) your friend's crotch

What terms are me and this friend on currently?

cal3gunner
05-10-2009, 7:52 PM
The first time I shot at a certain indoor range, they made me take the test because I wasn't 21 and I was going to be shooting a pistol with out someone over 21 present.

glock_this
05-10-2009, 7:55 PM
if you cannot pass that test, you do not deserve to own a handgun, plus I think they do not allow handguns to be sold to the mentally deficient

swerv512
05-10-2009, 7:56 PM
Once I heard that the study book would cost me $1 i told em' " i'll pass without that book" .....

and did.

steves86ta
05-10-2009, 7:57 PM
i passed it without reading up... i asked if anyone ever failed it, and the guys answer was only the people that cant either say or spell california

glock_this
05-10-2009, 8:01 PM
Once I heard that the study book would cost me $1 i told em' " i'll pass without that book" .....

and did.

they tried to rip you off.. as it is only suppose to cost .50 according to the DOJ

or you could just download it free here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf)

Vin496
05-10-2009, 8:01 PM
I'll fess up, I missed 1 question.

halifax
05-10-2009, 8:03 PM
While I was taking the HSC test a few days ago, my girlfriend was talking to the woman behind the gun counter about the test. She told the employee that I was a former Marine, NRA member, and lifetime gun owner that would easily ace the test. The chick behind the counter laughed and began to tell her that guys come in thinking they are macho and know what they are doing, only to fail miserably. I passed without missing a single question. My questions is, did anyone here ever fail the test? I'm sure someone has, hopefully they will be honest enough to tell us.

Very difficult to fail it. My guess is the woman behind the counter is a misandrist. The common response to finding out the guy was a former Marine, NRA member, and lifetime gun owner would be "oh, he should have no problem"

jello2594
05-10-2009, 8:05 PM
I missed one question too.. I think it was the minimum age to legally purchase a handgun. I said 18 (age for long guns), but the correct answer is 21.

masameet
05-10-2009, 8:10 PM
I'm pretty sure if I hadn't done the NRA first pistols class that I would not have passed the HSC test. Didn't know anything about guns and common sense has nothing on ignorance.

And for you nosey types, I missed one question. I thought it was kinda unfair too. Because the question skirted the three basic rules (don't point unless you're going to destroy it, don't put the finger on the trigger unless you're going to fire the handgun, and something else. lol (J/K!)). The question was about knowing what's behind the target, and the NRA book said it was not one of the three basic rules but part of the sub-rules. Or whatever they're called.

[Sigh] I know. I take things too literally sometimes.

hybridatsun350
05-10-2009, 8:17 PM
You have to try to fail that damn test! It's ridiculous.

paintballergb
05-10-2009, 8:32 PM
if you cannot pass that test, you do not deserve to own a handgun, plus I think they do not allow handguns to be sold to the mentally deficient

I agree. If you can't pass then I am sorry but you need to find a new hobby. I definitely don't want to be on a range with someone who can't pass.

BTW 100% for me. The guy tried to tell me my prize was that I had to buy the whole shop lunch :rolleyes:

50CalAL
05-10-2009, 8:45 PM
Passed 100% w/o reading up on anything either. Yeah you really, really have to try to fail.

Tragic Image
05-10-2009, 8:53 PM
I missed one question, but the guy said that I was technically correct, but that the correct answer was the "Safest" option. something about how to store a gun.... don't remember the details....

Futurecollector
05-10-2009, 8:59 PM
Im axtually scared to take it lol, I know I will pass it fine but just the sheer terror of not scares me lol

Chromedragon
05-10-2009, 9:00 PM
I read only cause i was paranoid for some reason that i had forgotten stuff from the last time i purchased a gun Back in the Days of the 15 day waiting period in the Good old PRC. aced it then promptly bought a nice SA 1911.....

but i do agree if you cant pass the test then i dont wanna be shooting around you

NotSoFast
05-10-2009, 9:09 PM
When I had finished taking the test the shop owner said that most people miss one or two at most. Of course it helps to know the PC answers. :D

Here is the link to download the booklet. Read it before you go. :)
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

MaxPower
05-10-2009, 9:25 PM
I didn't know what to expect from the exam, so I read the booklet multiple times before taking the test. Needless to say (to anyone who has taken it), I got 100%.

JBird33
05-10-2009, 9:41 PM
Missed 1, the dumb question about how long are you banned from guns after a felony...I said 10 years. Apparently the DOJ has never heard of expungement.

weaksauce
05-10-2009, 9:46 PM
Missed 1, the dumb question about how long are you banned from guns after a felony...I said 10 years. Apparently the DOJ has never heard of expungement.

I missed this one too.

Only other one I missed was the "safety on a firearm should be used as"...I put "primary safety".

Sam
05-10-2009, 9:50 PM
I'll admit it, I failed it.

walter
05-10-2009, 9:52 PM
if you fail the HSC you shouldnt be allowed to handle anything with a corner or an esge on it.

when i took mine there was a dude that got 3-4 wrong but he still passed. i was like is this guy retarded.

berettabattler
05-10-2009, 9:54 PM
I missed 2, went it and took the test.

Didn't even study or anything.

It was easy.

JBird33
05-10-2009, 9:55 PM
if you fail the HSC you shouldnt be allowed to handle anything with a corner or an esge on it.

when i took mine there was a dude that got 3-4 wrong but he still passed. i was like is this guy retarded.

Yeah, nothing with corners or esges!! ;)

You can miss up to 7 and still pass. Pretty crazy.

loosewreck
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah, nothing with corners or esges!! ;)

You can miss up to 7 and still pass. Pretty crazy.

They should make it matter which questions you missed. IMHO, it matters.

BTW, 100% over here, but its really not much to be proud of.

Turo
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm looking to take it sometime soon, anybody know where I can?

Located in San Luis Obispo area or Central Valley area, I live in either place.

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
i missed one because it was the last question and i was so excited to get my first hand gun I forgot to answer it and when the sales person pointed it out i just bubbled in C

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm looking to take it sometime soon, anybody know where I can?

Located in San Luis Obispo area or Central Valley area, I live in either place.

I think any place that sells handguns has to offer it. its $25 unless you have your C&R and your COE then you are exempt from the HSC

XD 40
05-10-2009, 10:31 PM
This brings up a point that always boils my blood, why is there an experation date on it? Just another ploy by the gun grabbing liberals that run this state to seperate us from our guns.

Because if you have to retest every five years it generated revenue.

ck867
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
I aced the HSC test but my ffl told me that there are a ton of people that fail! From what they say, it's generally people who ESL (english as second language) that fail because they do not understand english really well yet.

nickvig
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Back when it was the BHSC, I watched a 30 minute video at Turner's in Reseda and passed the test with no wrong answers. When I had to re-take the test when it changed to the HSC, I just took it and got 100% right. It's pretty much common sense for the most part.

scobun
05-10-2009, 10:46 PM
If you're capable of surviving to the age of 21 and transporting yourself to the gunstore, I'd have to say your chances of passing are 99.99%

I passed the last one with 100% correct in about 5 minutes. Easy.

demo
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I got 100%.
but really, what right do they have to give me a test to prove that I deserve the 2nd amendment?

ErikTheRed
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Thats the same one I missed, and I answered the same you did--- 10 years. But I'm not a felon, nor do I ever plan to be. So whats that question got to do with me or handgun safety?

Heres something to think about......

California has very tight restrictions on handguns with this bull**** "Safe Guns" list, requiring manufacturers to pony up for all sorts of ridiculous crap and nonsense, all in some effort to promote absolute safety. If even the color of the gun changes the model number, then Cali makes them pay up for more testing and rostering. If the barrel length is different, then more testing and more money. If they change a model number but nothing about the gun itself changes, thats more testing and more money yet. Remember, this all for our safety, as safety is California's number one concern. Right?

So then why do they create such an obnoxiously easy test for supposed "handgun safety", in which many of the questions don't even have anything whatsoever to do with safe handling or usage procedures, and then allow 7 WRONG ANSWERS out of only 30 questions? If its all about safety, do they possibly think that a fella could take this pathetic test, miss 7 answers, and still be a safe operator of a handgun?

Since they can't yet grab all our guns, they'll suffice with grabbing our money instead. Thats what its all about. But when they use words like "safety", it makes liberals feel all warm and fuzzy, maybe even warm and fuzzy enough to trick themselves into briefly forgetting that its really all about money. It obviously works with California voters.

colddeadhands
05-10-2009, 10:53 PM
In the 3 years I worked at a California gun store I saw one person not pass the test. She tried it again right away and passed.

JJ1911
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I was at Reeds and took the test, at first I thought I was trippin out because the words looked funny. Turns out it was the spanish version!

Once I took the english version, I missed 1. The question was about when it was ok to shoot someone. I put "tresspassing", i was almsot done and very excited to purchase my first handgun!

blackhawk411
05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I've worked at a gunstore and seen many many people fail. Also one of them was dumb enough to come in the next day with his girlfriend and tried to have her purchase the gun.

Blackhawk556
05-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I've worked at a gunstore and seen many many people fail. Also one of them was dumb enough to come in the next day with his girlfriend and tried to have her purchase the gun.

this guy really was a dumb *** I hope he never did get one. when did this occur?

i took mine 2 weeks and passed (100%) I did read the book about a month ago :D

halifax
05-11-2009, 5:17 AM
I was at Reeds and took the test, at first I thought I was trippin out because the words looked funny. Turns out it was the spanish version!

Once I took the english version, I missed 1. The question was about when it was ok to shoot someone. I put "tresspassing", i was almsot done and very excited to purchase my first handgun!

You must be from Texas :D

colossians323
05-11-2009, 5:50 AM

I think that she was trying to see whose was bigger.
It looks like she won this round:thumbsup:

onikage
05-11-2009, 9:15 AM
I passed it with 100%. It is extremely easy, however I could see a language barrier causing someone to fail it.

hkusp9c
05-11-2009, 9:31 AM
test for HSC is a joke.
I believe the test should be on psychological factors instead of fairly "common sense" stuff.

will227457
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
the test is super easy, but as a part time employee in a gun shop I have seen my share of people fail it.....

mostly it is a language issue and english is a second language...

Others, well to put it nicely.....you should all be very happy that they did not pass......

people ask me if the test is easy, and I used to say "yes a trained chimp could pass" until someone failed...LOL.....now I just keep my mouth shut and suggest they study......

DocSkinner
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I got 100%.
but really, what right do they have to give me a test to prove that I deserve the 2nd amendment?

what right then do they have to say that violent felons, and the mentally 'unstable' or 'slow' aren't equally protected by the 2nd? Would you prefer that they too could buy handguns freely? I think a basic IQ test like this is fine, as we see so often, it is usually someone else that gets hurt instead Darwinian selection coming into play.

As the test is done now - simple basic safety, no real "gotcha" questions or unanswerable questions, I think its a good thing. Although I think they should have some mandatory must get right questions to pass - like the pointing question, and the finger off the trigger question. Then you could miss some of the other law technicality questions.

If they tried to warp it to test that no one could answer, then yeah get rid of it.

My only problem with it is the expiration. Which is probably based more upon making people keep current on the laws rather than anything about safety. The safety principles are eternal, the test/card should be. You screw up on the law part - that is your own fault (for not getting on sites likes this and getting it straight).

soundwave
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM

a) a safe direction
b) your face
c) your crotch
d) your friend's face
e) your friend's crotch

:smilielol5:

MasterYong
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
The only question I missed was how old you have to be to get a handgun. Since, I was 23 I didn't realize that you had to be 21 (I answered 18) because I had never tried to buy one before I was 21.

My favorite question I think was "You can never be too safe with children and firearms... true or false?"

Or maybe "Which direction is the safest to point a handgun when you don't intend to fire it? A. Up. B. Down. .C. Forward. D. The safest direction possible."

I think they were wording those last two in such a way that if you don't fully comprehend English that you might miss them.

The guy at my local gun shop said that he'd only ever failed two people. The first was a Vietnamese guy that couldn't understand English without a translator, so he couldn't understand the test questions. The other was a woman who was a meth head that actually passed, but told the shop owner that she needed the gun because her ex-boyfriend was getting out of jail in a few weeks and she needed it because if he came around she was going to kill him. In that case he just wrote that she failed the test even though she hadn't, just so she couldn't even legally HANDLE a handgun! :rofl2:

Josh3239
05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
The first was a Vietnamese guy that couldn't understand English without a translator, so he couldn't understand the test questions.

I got a 100% and I always say, the HSC must be for rooting out people who can't speak english, have a mental defiecency, or are really really stupid.

Lancear15
05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
test for HSC is a joke.
I believe the test should be on psychological factors instead of fairly "common sense" stuff.

God I hope you aren't a government employee. Who should create the psychological criteria you suggest?

InvictusManeo
05-11-2009, 1:37 PM
I missed one question, but the guy said that I was technically correct, but that the correct answer was the "Safest" option. something about how to store a gun.... don't remember the details....

Ditto. Got it right according to the letter of the law, but not what they wanted to hear. And that was the only one I missed, as well.

eccvets
05-11-2009, 3:55 PM
e) your friend's crotch duh

a) a safe direction
b) your face
c) your crotch
d) your friend's face
e) your friend's crotch

SgtDinosaur
05-11-2009, 4:33 PM
I aced it so fast the guy was looking at me like he was trying to figure out how I cheated. And no, I didn't read the book.

It pisses me off because I used to just give them a copy of my DD214 and now I have to have this stupid card. Not that it's a big deal, but on general principles.

akira
05-11-2009, 4:56 PM
I missed one.
the guy at the counter was surprised I missed one, like it was a bad thing.

then i was ashamed i missed one after his reaction.

I also missed one when it was a BFST.

And yeah its thier ploy to get our 20 bucks everytime. :P

dwtt
05-11-2009, 6:46 PM
I bet Borat from Khazakstan can pass the test.

phbiggs
05-11-2009, 6:52 PM
Never had a problem with it..

The chick behind the counter laughed and began to tell her that guys come in thinking they are macho and know what they are doing, only to fail miserably.

Lets discuss people behind the counters "acting macho" and opening their mouths and failing miserably

demo
05-11-2009, 7:23 PM
If they tried to warp it to test that no one could answer, then yeah get rid of it.

give an inch and they'll take a mile, one inch at a time. :)

Jerardo
05-11-2009, 7:39 PM
One of my friends failed the test, I thought then it was hard. Then when I turned 21 a couple months after I took the test and discovered my friend is not very bright. There is no way anyone with common sense could fail.

punisheryayarea
05-11-2009, 8:00 PM
100%, passed it like the dmv test 100%, but cant say that when I was in school :thumbsup:

Dangerous1
05-11-2009, 8:07 PM
I missed one question too.. I think it was the minimum age to legally purchase a handgun. I said 18 (age for long guns), but the correct answer is 21.

+1 Me too.

Ishoot
05-11-2009, 8:18 PM
e) your friend's crotch duh

Man..I'm like the fifth person in this thread alone to have picked the wrong answer E. :D

highside880
05-11-2009, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post
The chick behind the counter laughed and began to tell her that guys come in thinking they are macho and know what they are doing, only to fail miserably.
Lets discuss people behind the counters "acting macho" and opening their mouths and failing miserably

Me and my friends were at Jackson Arms we were leaving when A guy and his girl walks in and checks in. the guy behind the counter asked if he had any experience with a fire arm his reply was he spent 10 years in the military and knew what he was doing. counter guy hands him a 1911 to see if he knew how to make it safe and what not. dude slices his thumb open, and couldn't even make it safe. counter guy looks at us and tells the guy and his girl he has to leave.

I admit i didnt ace the HSC missed 2

MasterYong
05-12-2009, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlchavis0844 View Post

Me and my friends were at Jackson Arms we were leaving when A guy and his girl walks in and checks in. the guy behind the counter asked if he had any experience with a fire arm his reply was he spent 10 years in the military and knew what he was doing. counter guy hands him a 1911 to see if he knew how to make it safe and what not. dude slices his thumb open, and couldn't even make it safe. counter guy looks at us and tells the guy and his girl he has to leave.

I admit i didnt ace the HSC missed 2

How the HECK do you slice your hand open on a 1911? Do they have a bayonet or something? Maybe my Kimber is made a little differently from the standard pattern... now I need to find a bayonet lug for my 1911!!! :50:

walter
05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Alot of dudes comes with their girls to Jackson arms and are too scared to Admit they don't know what they're doing and end up looking like idiots. I seen it myself also.

Rekrab
05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I took the HSC for the first time last night after reading this thread. Sadly, I still missed two. One was about inheritance law and the other was the felony one. :kest:

Yeah, epic fail on my part.

jrara
05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I took the HSC for the first time last night after reading this thread. Sadly, I still missed two. One was about inheritance law and the other was the felony one. :kest:

Yeah, epic fail on my part.

Don't feel bad. I had a Friend that failed it when I took it with him back in 2002.

Jackson arms was still on Dubuque Ave. in SSF.

I passed and he failed and man I was laughing and felt bad at the same time.

Laughing because he would try to act macho and show me all the guns his Uncle would give him.
Trust me they were nice guns, like a Sig P220, .357 Desert Eagle, and a Target .22LR.

We would go to the range and he would brag how good he was with his SKS, even though he wasn't hitting anything near the center.
But when I had a turn with the SKS, I was hitting blackhole.

I felt bad because those nice weapons are going into mediocre/novice hands.

7x57
05-12-2009, 1:12 PM
I aced the HSC test but my ffl told me that there are a ton of people that fail! From what they say, it's generally people who ESL (english as second language) that fail because they do not understand english really well yet.

That's more than an English FAIL, it's also a "know the rules" FAIL. You have the right to bring an interpreter of your choosing, so language should not ever be a barrier. Well, OK, it could instead be a "make at least one friend" FAIL.

Joel Friedman tells an interesting story about how he and Manny Fernandez got the interpreter rule in there, by standing up in front of the subcommittee and speaking to them in languages none of them could understand and then asking how they felt about it.

7x57

H.M.
05-12-2009, 2:30 PM
I missed several questions on it.

Took it with my girlfriend and told them I was going for "fastest completion time." Counter guy kinda laughed but they both thought I was an ***** when I said "time me" and whizzed through the test as fast as possible.

Might even have missed three-four questions but I remember one of them was a P.C. question and another was on the correct way to store a gun - I tried to second guess the PC ness on that one and got it wrong.

Girlfriend took her time and got 100% but I had the fastest completion time that day. :thumbsup:

Spaceghost
05-12-2009, 2:38 PM
Anyone else remember the old thread about the HSC and a member that worked in a gun shop at the time had a guy tried to pass the test several times and failed. Finally, his wife came down and aced without studying. She left the gun store saying, you don't deserve to have a gun. I would of died from laughing at that one.

Turbinator
05-12-2009, 5:26 PM
Just for the record, the old test is the BFSC - Basic Firearms Safety Certificate. I still carry mine around. Expired, and no longer valid, but I just like it. :)

Turby

scc1909
05-12-2009, 5:46 PM
I think any place that sells handguns has to offer it. its $25 unless you have your C&R and your COE then you are exempt from the HSC
I didn't have to take it and I don't have either of those. I went to my local gun shop and asked what I had to do to buy a pistol. The guy kind of squinted at me and said, you're retired LEO or military, right? I said yes, and he said show me your retired ID card, pick out a pistol, pay for it, and wait 10 days. :thumbsup:

Sam
05-12-2009, 7:25 PM
so no one believed me that I failed?
dang, I thought I would have had someone bite.

scc1909
05-12-2009, 7:37 PM
so no one believed me that I failed?
dang, I thought I would have had someone bite.
You figured out how to register on the Calguns forum, didn't you? :43:

gwl
05-12-2009, 8:58 PM
I'm not going to talk smack just because I've never taken it.

I did know someone who actually failed it the first time only because the only English he knew was John Wayne, Dirty Harry and .44 Magnum.

Sam
05-12-2009, 9:22 PM
You figured out how to register on the Calguns forum, didn't you? :43:

That was hilarious! :D

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 9:31 PM
HSC?

jlchavis0844
05-12-2009, 9:31 PM

My experience with people behind gun counters has been less than.......amicable. I've always had a problem with people who don't care about doing their jobs well. I usually get the feeling that they really could care less whether I buy a gun from them or not. It seems that the local stores are even worse than the chain stores. This same chick (I mean that as a derogatory term directly specifically at her) pandered to my GF who will never own her own gun (I'm trying to change that) while seeming to ignore me. My GF was very impressed by her gun knowledge. That's because she didn't see the look on the employee's face when I asked to see the SA 1911. She had no idea which one I was talking about even though they only had one 1911 on display. I asked her if she had any idea about the history of the 1911 and she gave me the same blank look. It reminds me of that stupid question about when the war of 1812 started. I asked her when it was invented and once again got that "I like turtles" look. I decided to go ahead and buy it and take the test while I was there. That's when she started to insinuate I might fail the test while she tried to sell my GF an overpriced .22.

jlchavis0844
05-12-2009, 9:35 PM
HSC?

HSC = Handgun Safety Certificate

tonelar
05-12-2009, 9:47 PM
I seem to always miss 1. Did so with the BFSC in the mid 90's. Also with my HSC (soon to expire).
I don't know anyone who's failed either.

NiteQwill
05-12-2009, 10:17 PM
HSC = Handgun Safety Certificate
I guess you didn't understand the red text. ;)

Palmaris
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm originaly from former USSSR and I don't have best ESL, any way, take that test was so easy and it has nothing to do with english, it is all about read question (every one has answer in the text). HSC and DMVtest are esiest tests I have ever pass.

Wompinblazer
05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
There is no real studying for the HSC. It's all based on common sense. I got 100% and everyone else I know got 100%. It is tricky at times, but, if you take your time, and think like a liberal, you will ace it!

DocSkinner
05-13-2009, 12:06 AM
There is no real studying for the HSC. It's all based on common sense. I got 100% and everyone else I know got 100%. It is tricky at times, but, if you take your time, and think like a liberal, you will ace it!

there is no real study if you were brought up with guns, and had it instilled.

What wwe deal with now is a multitude that were NOT brought up in that environment. THAT is the fact that we as gunners have to address! as I have posted earlierer - "what we have here is a failure to communicate!" Those of us that grew up in a gun friendly culture need to DROP THE BS ATTITUDES and realize not all were so fortunate, and instead of playing the "holier than thou" reach out and listen and help thoe that are trying to move into our sphere, instead of pissing them off and creating more antis.

Yeah sure - you pulling the "holier than thou - so you are an idiot" feeds your ego - but it makes more anti 2A people.

EVERYONE has to learn - what lesson about firearms do you teach?

JDay
05-13-2009, 12:11 AM
they tried to rip you off.. as it is only suppose to cost .50 according to the DOJ

or you could just download it free here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf)

IIRC the store is allowed to get a profit off them.

JDay
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty sure if I hadn't done the NRA first pistols class that I would not have passed the HSC test. Didn't know anything about guns and common sense has nothing on ignorance.

And for you nosey types, I missed one question. I thought it was kinda unfair too. Because the question skirted the three basic rules (don't point unless you're going to destroy it, don't put the finger on the trigger unless you're going to fire the handgun, and something else. lol (J/K!)). The question was about knowing what's behind the target, and the NRA book said it was not one of the three basic rules but part of the sub-rules. Or whatever they're called.

[Sigh] I know. I take things too literally sometimes.

There's actually four basic rules.

http://www.bobtuley.com/safety_rules.htm

FreshTapCoke
05-13-2009, 1:09 AM

I got a perfect the first time but missed this question the second time after getting confused with the fact of being able to own a handgun at 18. (not purchase one)

7x57
05-13-2009, 1:20 AM
There's actually four basic rules.

http://www.bobtuley.com/safety_rules.htm

Those are Jeff Cooper's rules. masameet specifically said his first exposure to firearms was the NRA course, and they teach a slightly more politically correct three-rule set. Basically, the "all guns are always loaded" meta-rule is omitted, and "know your target and beyond" is replaced with "keep guns unloaded when not in use." Basically, they are oriented more towards target shooting than defensive gun use.

I prefer Cooper's rules too, but the NRA set is perfectly workable and that's what he was taught.

7x57

7x57
05-13-2009, 1:32 AM
if you take your time, and think like a liberal, you will ace it!

This is the truth. When I took it I didn't know what to expect but figured I'd pass without studying anyway. The test has two kinds of questions, practical gun handling and California firearms law, and I followed two simple rules: (1) guns are scary, and (2) California is evil.

"Guns are scary" means that on practical gun-handling questions, if there is more than one answer which does not break the core safety rules, do not necessarily choose what you would do or the common practice of gun people, the answer is invariably the one that would make the most sense if guns were scary and possibly evil devices which try to shoot people on their own. (Example from CA hunter's safety literature, not the HSC: "*unload* your gun before handing it to anyone or before sliding it under a fence you are going to cross." No one does this, of course, but if guns were animate evil objects then this precaution would make sense.)

Similarly, "California is evil" means that on the legal questions, the correct answer is invariably the one that imposes the most onerous rules, the most punitive penalties, and is the most contemptuous of gun owners.

Those two rules should lead to a 100% score. I actually missed one, because I wavered and did not follow rule (2); I assumed that the state had the basic decency to treat sibling transfers like lineal descendant transfers. Of course that was wrong, as it was not the most intrusive and infringing answer.

So just follow "guns are scary" and "California is evil" and you cannot possibly fail.

7x57

Dark&Good
05-13-2009, 1:38 AM

Did you ask the "chick" after the test if she knows the meaning of "Marine"?

BunnySlayer
05-13-2009, 2:29 AM
Personally I think the test is just another way to try and tax gun owners. It has little to do with safety and there's small chance of being able to judge someones competence in 30 questions or less. While working in gun retail myself I did see a number of people fail the test and one poor fellow who had to come back as he failed it twice. I was rather hoping he'd take up golf.

BroncoBob
05-13-2009, 7:06 AM
It's all geared to increase the states revenue. All fees and fines are, the state of California is not a non profit organization no matter what our fine elected representatives tell us.

johnny_22
05-13-2009, 7:38 AM
The 2003 article's point was it needed to be harder! Interestingly at work, where we all read the SJMN, only I took the sample test in the paper and passed it. Others at work took the article at face value. I know at least one person here without a firearm background who would fail this test without studying.

Wizard99
05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Bragging about getting 100% on the HSC is like bragging that you got a 100 on an IQ test.

jlchavis0844
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Did you ask the "chick" after the test if she knows the meaning of "Marine"?

Macho A**hole Riding in Navy Equipment?

Anyone else remember the Safari hats at the range announcing the 4 safety rules? Trrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaat every weapon as if it were loooooooooadedddddddd. Neverpointaweaponatanythingyoudonotintendtoshoot. Keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fiiiiiiirrrrrrreeeee! Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire. I miss those days.

bluestaterebel
05-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Very difficult to fail it. My guess is the woman behind the counter is a misandrist. The common response to finding out the guy was a former Marine, NRA member, and lifetime gun owner would be "oh, he should have no problem"

Misandrist, wasnt sure what that meant, but now that i do,will use it lots:thumbsup:

misandrist:

Main Entry: mis·an·drist
Pronunciation: \ˈmis-ˌan-drist\
Function: noun
: a person who hates men—compare misogynist
— misandrist adjective
— mis·an·dry \-drē\ noun, plural mis·an·dries

halifax
05-14-2009, 4:59 AM
Misandrist, wasnt sure what that meant, but now that i do,will use it lots:thumbsup:

misandrist:

Main Entry: mis·an·drist
Pronunciation: \ˈmis-ˌan-drist\ \ˈdīk\
Function: noun
: a person who hates men—compare misogynist
— misandrist adjective
— mis·an·dry \-drē\ noun, plural mis·an·dries

I have heard some people use the alternate pronunciation.

HCz
05-14-2009, 1:47 PM
Failing HSC test means someone needs to learn common sense. My usual suggestion would be to take a NRA basic pistol class as the person has no idea on how to deal with firearms. Sometime ago, I saw a person not know how to load a magazine, and the gun. Probably better to take the class.

But at the same time, I am less than happy about the fact that this is another form of government's possible infringement of 2A. BFSC was good for life and CA just drops it and goes with HSC that is good for 5 years. What's next? Every month?

Got perfect score on mine.

Lucky Scott
05-14-2009, 3:26 PM
Took my test today, got a perfect score.
Very simple!