PDA

View Full Version : Quick registration question...

hybridatsun350
05-10-2009, 12:51 PM
So my father passed away a while back, and my step-mother has been in possession of his guns. I am completely legal to own a handgun, and I have been researching what needs to be done to get these guns registered in my name. I have started to fill out the DOJ voluntary registration form, but don't know what to put in the "acquired from" section. Do I put my step-mother or my father? Do I put other and say it was gifted? Inherited? These are three very nice handguns, and I'd like to get them legitimately registered in my name. Thanks for your help.

Turo
05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Just sent mine in for my new .22 pistol my dad bought, Just put "Inherited from Father" or something to that extent. On mine I just put "Gift from Father" and added his name just in case.

btw: are you using this form (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)?

hybridatsun350
05-10-2009, 1:16 PM
btw: are you using this form (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)?

Yea, that's the form.

Turo
05-10-2009, 1:26 PM
Then I believe that's all you need to do. I just researched this a bunch, so I'm pretty sure, but I'd like some other opinions on the transfer (and I'm sure you may appreciate it as well.)

Vin496
05-10-2009, 2:30 PM
1st Question, was your father a California resident?

If yes, then all you need to do is fill out the form use "Inherited from Father", and send in your $19(for all the guns) with the form and wait a few months to get the confirmation letter back from the DoJ.

If he was not a California Resident, then you will need to go through an FFL. I will explain this further if the answer was non resident.

Remember you also need to have an HSC card by law, to take possession.

Turo
05-10-2009, 2:54 PM

About that, I don't have one, and I didn't know you had to have it before I sent my transfer request in. Will they check/see that and refuse my request if I get one sometime soon?

(sorry for slight threadjack)

hybridatsun350
05-10-2009, 2:55 PM
1st Question, was your father a California resident?

If yes, then all you need to do is fill out the form use "Inherited from Father", and send in your $19(for all the guns) with the form and wait a few months to get the confirmation letter back from the DoJ.

If he was not a California Resident, then you will need to go through an FFL. I will explain this further if the answer was non resident.

Yes, he was a California resident. Born and raised here. Ok, I wanted to make sure that putting "inherited from father" will be a legitimate answer to that question. It just seems weird seeing that my step-mother has had them for a while, but I guess I'm still inheriting them from him. I do have my HSC so I can legally buy and own a handgun. Thank you guys for your help.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 2:58 PM
About that, I don't have one, and I didn't know you had to have it before I sent my transfer request in. Will they check/see that and refuse my request if I get one sometime soon?

(sorry for slight threadjack)

I don't think it's electronically connected to you in a way they would know. It's just the law.

Go out and take the test, it's not a big deal at all, if you have any common sense it will be impossible to fail. That way you are completely legal in this situation.