View Full Version : Best fiber optic front sight?

05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Who makes the best fiber optic front sight for auto pistols?

05-10-2009, 12:48 PM
The only name I can actively think that has the widest and largest selection fo FO fronts is Dawson Precision.

I know there are other guys that sell FO but Im not sure who the actual manufactuer is. Almost everyone i know with a fiber optic has a dawson. That said, i wouldnt hesitate to use another companies brand either. There's not much to them and so long as they're the specified height and width, that's all that seems to really matter.

05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
What gun? What kind of shooting/use? Strictly competition/range or defensive? All of these will affect the choice.

05-10-2009, 1:34 PM
xd-45, xd-9 and glock 17 action comp and self defense (green dot front, regular black rear sight)

05-10-2009, 2:17 PM
I was running a Tru Glow on my USP 9mm and really liked it. I was mainly using the gun for just casual shooting. I liked them so much I am going to get a set for my P229 as it's factory NS are all but useless now(Sig is 12 years old).

05-10-2009, 2:39 PM
Most folks I shoot IPSC with use Dawson front sites

05-10-2009, 4:11 PM
There are two different diameter fiber tubes used in most sights. Dawson uses .040" tubes but some companies also use .060". Supposedly the .040" tubes are more precise but I prefer .060" because they are brighter and I have crappy eyesight. Mark

05-10-2009, 5:10 PM
There are two different diameter fiber tubes used in most sights. Dawson uses .040" tubes but some companies also use .060". Supposedly the .040" tubes are more precise but I prefer .060" because they are brighter and I have crappy eyesight. Mark

Railroader- Tube diameter will vary from company to company. That said, the idea behind the fiber optic isn't necessarily to use it for 'accuracy' alignment. It's main purpose is to catch your eye so that you can bring the front sight onto the target more quickly. (A la 'combat sighting'). Put the dot on the target and press.

Think of it this way, if you were to use the dot as the sighting reference, most of your target would be obscured, giving you a less precise shot since your front sight will be covering the target. This is where a 6 o'clock sighted pistol is able to give a more precise shot- you have both the spot you want to hit as well as the front sight in your field of view. But like you, I have a hard time with vision and I also use the dot to help out as it's very very bright when used outdoors.

I shoot USPSA matches several times a month and FO front sights are very popular. It's a bit impractical to try and determine which manufacturer is being used by glancing at someone's gear- as they're usually all very similar. It's such a small part and there's almost never any marking you can read. The more 'helpful' (but very slight) clues are the rear sights. People usually buy in sets so it follows that if you have a Heinie rear, then you'll likely had purchased the Heinie front as part of that set... etc etc ... On my G17, I had* Heinie's (replaced them with Straight Eights night sights). My G34, I have the Sevigny Competition set. They're slightly different but honestly, if they were mounted on someone else's gun, I probably wouldn't have any who they had been made by.

Right now I have 3 different fiber optic fronts- Dawson, Sevigny's, and Heinie's. They're all great and I have yet to have any of the fiber optic fall out. My G34 typically sees about 1200 rounds a month from competition and practice use. No issues yet.

05-10-2009, 5:21 PM
The TruGlo FTOs are nice in that they have "walls" to try to protect the fiber optic from damage...

05-10-2009, 5:42 PM
Hey monsterman, I just put the Sevigny Fiber Optic front sight on my 17. I have the Heinie rear sight on it. This thing is amazing compared to the normal black front sight. I ran the gun at Norco yesterday and shot my most accurate match ever. These sights are super easy to see and very fast recovery for double tapping.

I'll be at our range this week if you want to try it out. Our shooting guru got me the sights and he orderd plenty of extras to try on his guns. The set comes with both green and red tubes for you to use. The tubes are long enough to replace them a few times.

I prefer the red. T prefers the green.

05-10-2009, 5:49 PM
I put Novak Adjustable F/O sights on all three of my M&P's. Got them from Brownell's. I have since installed the same sights on a couple of friends guns as they liked mine so much.

05-11-2009, 9:58 AM
Sevigny Competition set

fiber optic or plain black you can't got wrong for percision shooting

05-11-2009, 6:24 PM
If you're keeping one in your dresser drawer as a defensive pistol, I'd suggest the TruGlo TFO (as I prefer night sights on my defensive guns). If there's a small chance of such use, then just run a standard fiber and save the $.

I really like Dawson, but Novak have served me well, also.

If you can, go to a match and compare them. See which draws your eye. I find I actually prefer different colors than many people.

05-11-2009, 6:40 PM
+1 for the truglo tfo`s with the tritium/fiber optic combo.