View Full Version : Using laser with handgun

05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I got this cheap laser/light combo. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=350191072936#ebayphotohosting Was only $50 free shipping from e bay. Wont know how it will hold up until I shoot it but so far it seems nice. I had a question on sighting in the laser. It came set, and lined up perfectly at about 10 feet. The further away I aimed the dot would be above my sights. I know about the difference between my barrel and the laser so im thinking about setting it even. I used a laser bore device and measured the difference which is about 2-1/2 inches and set it at 15 feet away, and at 30 feet they both look about the same distance apart 2-1/2 inches. I would rather be 2-1/2 inches high all the time at any distance then having it vary depending on how close the target is.

Whats the usual laser setup, zeroed in at 10 feet or what I did, level the laser and be around 2-1/2 inches high all the time. I ask because of the crimson laser grips I see, I wonder how those are set. Im only planning on using the laser/light for home defense but would like to use it at the range up to 25 yards if possible without having to use my sights.

05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
You will find that the Glock frame is flexible enough to destroy any hope of locking the laser dead solid. Pushing the light right or left will move the point of aim several inches at 10 yards. Great for close-up center of mass shooting, not so much for consistent X-ring hits.

Trying to keep that little red dot in one place while firing is a challenge.

Try to ignore the Michael J. Fox jokes.

05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah im hoping it doesnt move to much, I did loktite the laser adjustment screws. I can move the light slightly by hand but it goes back to center on the frame, its a nice tight fit on the rail anyways and barely has any play. Wont know until I shoot it, hopefully it doesnt walk off the frame, ive only had that happen with the clamp down type. This is my first one that uses a spring lock and actually fits the glock cutout slot in the rail to keep it from going forward. If it holds up im probably going to get another one and may get the led version for $30 more.

05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Inexpensive! I hope it proves effective. Good Luck!

Here's a video on how to sight in the Crimson Trace:

Here's another, different source (for an S&W J-Frame):