PDA

View Full Version : Sig 2022 vs P30. My opinion.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say I really prefer the Sig 2022 to the HK P30. I had a 2022 and sold it and have regretted it ever since. For some reason the SigPro line doesn't seem to get a lot of love, but I think it's the nicest Polymer out there. High quality, accurate and reliable, very nice trigger and a pleasure to shoot. Not to mention it's priced nice, I see them quite frequently for sale in the $550 range with Night Sites.

I recently acquired a P30, and it fits my hand beautifully and has a cool factor, but I just do not love it. The trigger is mushy at best, sights are so so, and it was a very expensive plastic 9mm. I'm not planning on selling it, I just think I'll store it for a rainy day, and go get me another 2022, or I could sell the P30 and get 2 SigPros, and some ammo, lol.

MT1
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Ifalon finished 2022's are going for $499 right now, good time to pick one up.

lunde
05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
The Sig Pro. What's not to love?

http://lundestudio.com/photos/sp2022-left-full.jpg

I own two SP 2022s (a US-made .357 Sig and German-made 9mm), one Two-Tone SP 2340 (.357 Sig), and one SP 2009. Excellent pistols. It's a polymer handgun that doesn't feel like a polymer handgun.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Ifalon finished 2022's are going for $499 right now, good time to pick one up.

How can you beat that, Budsguns also has them under $500 shipped, of course they are 15 round mags, but thats still a bargain. Sigs only ship with 1 mag now anyways.

Joe
05-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I pick up my sp2022 in a week. I cant wait.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Lunde, I know you own a P30 as well. What is your impression?

MT1
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
How can you beat that, Budsguns also has them under $500 shipped, of course they are 15 round mags, but thats still a bargain. Sigs only ship with 1 mag now anyways.

I got mine from top gun supply and they traded out the 2 15 round mags for a couple 10's.

Black Majik
05-10-2009, 1:44 PM
The SP2022 is gaining surprising popularity lately on SIGforum as well. I got the chance to handle one last week, and I must say I was quite surprised by the smooooth double action trigger on it, especially for a polymer gun.

Only thing was, it was US assembled. I didn't see the serial on the slide,barrel and frame. Nor the German proofmarks.

SIG's little secret is getting out.

Joe
05-10-2009, 2:06 PM
I got mine from top gun supply and they traded out the 2 15 round mags for a couple 10's.

They did that for the one I ordered also.

Ended up being 520 shipped. awesome deal.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 3:38 PM
The SP2022 is gaining surprising popularity lately on SIGforum as well. I got the chance to handle one last week, and I must say I was quite surprised by the smooooth double action trigger on it, especially for a polymer gun.

Only thing was, it was US assembled. I didn't see the serial on the slide,barrel and frame. Nor the German proofmarks.

SIG's little secret is getting out.

Many consider the trigger on the 2022 to be superior to the 226.

I think maybe people were holding off for the P250, because in theory it sounds awesome, I have handled a few and considered buying one, but in the end I felt nothing for the gun. I'm not a fan of the DAK(personal opinion) and I just thought the gun was o.k. no big deal.

In all honesty it is one of the few guns in 9mm I will see a few examples of sitting in a gun stores, whenever I am out of California. I think the lure here is the lure of unobtanium.

I think the 2022 is far and above a better gun than the 250.

RT13
05-10-2009, 5:34 PM
The SigPros have one of the smoothest triggers out of the box. I got to pull the trigger on a NIB Pro andgot to shoot a SP2340 with over 1k rounds through it once and man that trigger was smooth like butter much more than the classic lines when it was new. The used one I got to shoot was even better. The P30 is one of the best feeling handgun in my hands, but the triggers on HK's are just heavy and gritty. I still prefer my P2000 over the P30 though. But the trigger is one big plus factor for the Sig pro. And the much lower price is another major factor especially since the P30 non CA roster rates are a joke. Like you said. You can get a P30 or two Sig Pros. No brainer.

lunde
05-10-2009, 6:39 PM
Back to the person who started this thread, it sounds like you need to remedy your error, but I would not sell the HK P30 to do so. I'd try to snag one of the ones that Top Gun Supply is selling at the moment.

Vin496
05-10-2009, 7:36 PM
Back to the person who started this thread, it sounds like you need to remedy your error, but I would not sell the HK P30 to do so. I'd try to snag one of the ones that Top Gun Supply is selling at the moment.

That's exactly my plan this week or next, I'm ordering a 2022.

grunz
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
SigPros have an awesome trigger - better than the metal frame sigs which are pretty great already OOB. :)

WyoDuner
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Great - you all let the secret out. :)

I have a SigPro SP2022 (9mm) and I am thoroughly impressed with it. Best DA/SA trigger around.

I believe this are now discontinued, BTW.

Also, my gripe with them is that mags and holsters are not that common.

Here's a little tip - Springfiled XD holsters fit the SigPro SP2022 and SP2034 perfectly. I have two XD holsters for my Sig.

Sam1
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Great - you all let the secret out. :)

I have a SigPro SP2022 (9mm) and I am thoroughly impressed with it. Best DA/SA trigger around.

I believe this are now discontinued, BTW.

Also, my gripe with them is that mags and holsters are not that common.

Here's a little tip - Springfiled XD holsters fit the SigPro SP2022 and SP2034 perfectly. I have two XD holsters for my Sig.

I just got one NIB for 524 shipped and wasn't there a thread about the U.S. buying colombia a bunch of sigpros for their military ? I'll check into the xd holsters, if I don't find a nice one I'll just order a 2022 specific holster from vega in italy :thumbsup:

Joe
05-11-2009, 1:35 PM
They are discontinued. But they may still make them if LE demands some or something. But as far as the civilian market goes, they're discontinued. There are still some around though. I recently bought a NIB one from topgunsupply

9mmlaw
05-11-2009, 1:48 PM
They are discontinued. But they may still make them if LE demands some or something. But as far as the civilian market goes, they're discontinued. There are still some around though. I recently bought a NIB one from topgunsupply

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=33&productid=121

Still listed on Sig's website. It would appear they are still in production for the civilian market.

IPSICK
05-11-2009, 2:00 PM
Probably my biggest gun regret was selling my SP2340 in .40SW. Best DA .40 I've ever handled. Solidly built and incredibly tight gun. If it wasn't for super puny hands it would have been a perfect .40SW gun for me. I liked it way better than any of the SiG classic guns I've held and shot.

loosewreck
05-11-2009, 2:59 PM
Ah the Sig Pro. I know I might get flamed for this statement, but I have always thought that its actually more in competition with HK than with Glock.

I bought a SP2022 the day I handled and dry fired one at the store. I just couldn't believe how sweet the trigger was.

I hope all the huge gov. contracts renew interest in such a great pistol design.

As for size, it does feel a tiny bit wider than the other alloy framed Sigs, but I wear a small shooting glove and find the Sig Pro perfectly fine.

I read a few post on here and other forums of people complaining about having difficulty disassembling the Sig Pro, I find this strange, because it isn't very different from a Browning HP or CZ 75 and far simpler than a 1911. I guess maybe the Classic Sig line have just spoiled folks.

gumby
05-11-2009, 3:19 PM
Dozens of guns in my life time and the only one left is a Sig Pro--love it!

Vin496
05-11-2009, 3:51 PM
So we all agree, the SigPro line is "our little secret".

I have to agree with loosewreck. I have a few HK's and except for the P7M8, the Sig Pro is a higher quality firearm in every other way.

Frostbite
05-11-2009, 8:37 PM
I've never shot a SP2022 but I have shot the P229, which, in my mind, seems comparable. Aside from cost, what is the advantage of owning a SP2022 over a P229? It's lighter but only marginally. Is the cost and the perceived better trigger the only driving factor?

I'm not knocking the gun. Just trying to figure out where it fits in to the Sig product line.

user5412
05-11-2009, 8:52 PM
Would you guys recommend the DAO or DA/SA trigger?

loosewreck
05-11-2009, 8:55 PM
I've never shot a SP2022 but I have shot the P229, which, in my mind, seems comparable. Aside from cost, what is the advantage of owning a SP2022 over a P229? It's lighter but only marginally. Is the cost the perceived better trigger the only driving factor?

I'm not knocking the gun. Just trying to figure out where it fits in to the Sig product line.

I also have P series Sigs including a 229 and the trigger on the SP is definitely nicer.

To answer your question however, aside from the two reasons you've mentioned, I guess one other big advantages would be a polymer frame with steel rails vs. an alloy frame of most of the Classic Sigs.

Vin496
05-11-2009, 9:04 PM
I've never shot a SP2022 but I have shot the P229, which, in my mind, seems comparable. Aside from cost, what is the advantage of owning a SP2022 over a P229? It's lighter but only marginally. Is the cost the perceived better trigger the only driving factor?

The 2022(2340,2009) were brought to the market so Sig had a pistol that could compete with the Glock and other polymer pistols. The use of polymer allows for the cost to be lower.

I don't know what advantage there is to owning a 2022 over s P226/229, that's a very subjective question. Some people will not own/shoot polymer pistols, to others cost is a huge or deciding factor.

This is my opinion, for $500 you get a modern, very high quality combat gun that has one of the best DA/SA triggers available with night sights.

For some reason the gun never really caught on as most Sig owners are of the opinion this gun is somehow beneath Sig, and the polymer crowd is all about the Glock. Maybe Sig made the mistake of making this gun lower priced. If they had made it expensive like the HK line, maybe people would have taken it more serious, cause you know if it cost more, it's got to be better.

Do yourself a favor and if your in the market for a new 9mm, go check it out. Those who have dismissed this pistol are really missing out.

Like I said I much prefer to pistol to my $1000 polymer HKs. The HKs have the OOOHHHH factor, but the SigPro is the sweetness.

Frostbite
05-11-2009, 9:14 PM
I guess my biggest confusion came from the fact that it's polymer but still fairly heavy. I guess in this case, the use of polymer is more about cost reduction than weight reduction.

I'm not necessarily in the market for a new 9mm but I wouldn't mind a new (as in I don't have one in this caliber) .357 Sig. I've been debating getting a P229 but I may have to take a look at the SP2022. Thanks Vin!

loosewreck
05-11-2009, 9:40 PM
Would you guys recommend the DAO or DA/SA trigger?

Okay I'll let you guys in on this:

DAO conversion (http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=888240&MC=)

Haven't done it myself, but I've been playing with the idea of picking up another Pro and converting it to DAO for inexperienced shooters in a SHTF situation. The conversion seems very strait forward if you have the Sig Pro DVD.
(http://www.topgunsupply.com/sigpro-armorers-course-dvd-sigpro.html)
user5412,

I have no experience with the DAO version, but as others have stated the DA/SA's double action pull is very smooth with a crisp single action.

I guess my biggest confusion came from the fact that it's polymer but still fairly heavy. I guess in this case, the use of polymer is more about cost reduction than weight reduction.

I'm not necessarily in the market for a new 9mm but I wouldn't mind a new (as in I don't have one in this caliber) .357 Sig. I've been debating getting a P229 but I may have to take a look at the SP2022. Thanks Vin!

If you do go with a .357 SP, 10rd brand new factory mags over at CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/pro3510blune.html) are only $9.99. Over a year ago I ordered 5 and they threw in a 6th for free.

My question to you guys is do the .40/.357 mags fit in the 9mm Sig Pro?

Back when the AW Ban was nation wide the interchangability of .40 mags in their 9mm counterpart pistols was a hot topic.

Frostbite
05-11-2009, 9:45 PM
Wow, that's ridiculously cheap. Thanks Loosewreck!

Also, with most guns, the .40 and .357 are only interchangeable with each other. I believe a 9mm conversion would require new mags as well.

Vin496
05-11-2009, 9:47 PM
Okay I'll let you guys in on this:

DAO conversion (http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=888240&MC=)

Haven't done it myself, but I've been playing with the idea of picking up another Pro and converting it to DAO for inexperienced shooters in a SHTF situation. The conversion seems very strait forward if you have the Sig Pro DVD.
(http://www.topgunsupply.com/sigpro-armorers-course-dvd-sigpro.html)
user5412,

I have no experience with the DAO version, but as others have stated the DA/SA's double action pull is very smooth with a crisp single action.

If you do go with a .357 SP, 10rd brand new factory mags over at CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/pro3510blune.html) are only $9.99. Over a year ago I ordered 5 and they threw in a 6th for free.

My question to you guys is do the .40/.357 mags fit in the 9mm Sig Pro?

Back when the AW Ban was nation wide the interchangability of .40 mags in their 9mm counterpart pistols was a hot topic.

I don't know about the SigPro(I bet they do), but I do know that 10 round HK USP compact .40 mags will fit in the Compact 9mm, thus giving you a 13 round 9 mm mag. This is also true for P2000 .40 and 9mm.

Palmaris
05-11-2009, 9:58 PM
I am pretty new to gun thing. I have a friend which has all the best on the market guns-1911 SS, P226 Super Sport Match (can't even find it in catalog) P220 extended Slide with compencator, HK etc. He took me to the range ones and let me shoot all of his babies. Since that I got my first P220 (I think it is Combat, but not sure). I shoot about 2K for last 4 month from it. A month ago I have convinced my wife that she needs one gun for protection as well:D and I got SP2022. For last 4 weeks I shoot about 1000 rounds and I feel it is much better then my P220. I love P220 for it look and caliber, but as it goes of shooting SP2022 way more better, I can groop way better with her, triger is supper smooth and feels like on sport models, just longer.
This my P220
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/Palmaris/DSC04643.jpg

Whoever is on the market for new 9mm, take look 2022-will not regret her ever.

loosewreck
05-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow, that's ridiculously cheap. Thanks Loosewreck!

Also, with most guns, the .40 and .357 are only interchangeable with each other. I believe a 9mm conversion would require new mags as well.

Glad I could help. It helps to lurk around the Sig forum a lot.

I don't know about the SigPro(I bet they do), but I do know that 10 round HK USP compact .40 mags will fit in the Compact 9mm, thus giving you a 13 round 9 mm mag. This is also true for P2000 .40 and 9mm.

I've loaded 9mm in my .40 cal SP mags and they retained 13 rounds like they were made for them. The issue is, from what I've seen, the 9mm mags look cosmetically different from the .40 mags, which leads me to assume that they may not be interchangeable between pistols of different calibers.

WyoDuner
05-12-2009, 9:30 AM
Ah the Sig Pro. I know I might get flamed for this statement, but I have always thought that its actually more in competition with HK than with Glock.

I bought a SP2022 the day I handled and dry fired one at the store. I just couldn't believe how sweet the trigger was.

I hope all the huge gov. contracts renew interest in such a great pistol design.

As for size, it does feel a tiny bit wider than the other alloy framed Sigs, but I wear a small shooting glove and find the Sig Pro perfectly fine.

I read a few post on here and other forums of people complaining about having difficulty disassembling the Sig Pro, I find this strange, because it isn't very different from a Browning HP or CZ 75 and far simpler than a 1911. I guess maybe the Classic Sig line have just spoiled folks.

You can get different size grips for them but even the small grip is just a little smaller than the medium grip the pistol ships with. The small should have been called medium.

When I first got mine, it was hard to get apart. But after the first time, and understood the alignment to remove the slide release it was much easier. So, I would say it is about the same as any other pistol once you get the hang of it.

lunde
05-12-2009, 9:56 AM
About using SP 2340 10-round magazines for 9mm: http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/III/8.html

Exposed
05-12-2009, 1:31 PM
Just wanted to chime in. I handguns I own.......

-Glock 19
-Kahr CW9
-SA XD45
-S&W M&P45
-Jericho Baby Eagle45
-Kimber CDPII Pro.45
and.......

-Sig Pro SP2022.40

I love them all, and they all have their pros and cons, but the best "bang for the buck" gun on my list is by far my SP2022! Trigger, as mention by everyone, is as smooth as butter. The fact that its a bit heavier than other plastic guns allows for the recoil to be absorbed nicely. Comes with night sights. My only other gun that came with night sights stock was my Kimber......it was also twice as much. I love my Sp2022, however, I am still far more accurate with any of my .45s. Like I said, they all have their pluses and minuses. Overall, I love all my pistols, again though, SP 2022 is the best overall well spent dollar value!

lunde
05-12-2009, 1:39 PM
The Sig Pro did not meet with much success in the US due to the timing of its release, which was related to the fact that it did not have magazine compatibility with any other Sig-Sauer pistol. In other words, because it was released after the 1994 ban that effectively restricted its capacity to 10 rounds in the US, it never gained much popularity. There were no "pre-ban" magazines that could be used. However, those who bought and used them found that it is a remarkable weapon.

Then, right about the time when the magazine ban was lifted, Sig-Sauer began de-emphasizing the Sig Pro, in favor of the P250. It does not mean that the P250 is the superior firearm, but rather that marketing forces are at work.

I bought my first one, a Two-Tone SP 2340 chambered in .357 Sig, at the end of 2002, somewhat on a whim. It turned out to be one of the best purchases I made that year. I enjoyed it so much that I started the Sig Pro FAQ, to dispell various misunderstandings about this fine pistol.

HK Dave
05-12-2009, 1:46 PM
That's a pretty gun... hmm perhaps i should add it to my sig collection.

WyoDuner
05-12-2009, 2:38 PM
That's a pretty gun... hmm perhaps i should add it to my sig collection.

Lunde, thanks for the SigPro FAQ. Very well done and a great resource. I've read through it a couple times in the past.

gumby
05-12-2009, 4:33 PM
+1 Lunde

Joe
05-12-2009, 4:52 PM
I don't think I can take the few remaining days left till I pick my sig pro up from jail.

loosewreck
05-12-2009, 4:52 PM
About using SP 2340 10-round magazines for 9mm: http://lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/III/8.html

Thanks for the tip Lunde. I totally forgot to check your Sig Pro site. Your right the .40/.357 will hold 12rds, for some reason I remembered it held 13 (may have been a different mag, LOL).

I really think I'll pick up a 9mm when I free up some cash, since I don't have to buy any more mags.

J_Rock
05-12-2009, 5:08 PM
Can someone post a few pics of the 2022 next to the P30 for comparison?

Vin496
05-13-2009, 3:43 PM
Can someone post a few pics of the 2022 next to the P30 for comparison?

I'll be able to in about 30 days.

I just went and bought a SigPro 2022, can't DROS for about 20 more days.

I couldn't take it anymore and had to get one back in the stable again.