PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Handgun from Friend

Jason762
05-10-2009, 8:57 AM
I have a friend whose father passed away. While cleaning out his stuff, she (or her mother) found a handgun.

She came to me and asked me about her options; one of which included giving it to the cops. I said not to do that and that depending on what it was, I'd buy it or show her a place where she could sell it.

My question is, the pistol is registered to her father. Can she sell it? I have no clue what it is, other than a semi-auto pistol. Could be pre-'90 or post-'90.

hybridatsun350
05-10-2009, 9:31 AM
She can legally inherit it from her father so I don't see any reason why she couldn't sell it to you.

Librarian
05-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Depends on who actually owns it.

It's likely her mother is the beneficiary of her husband; if mom is still around, probably she is the actual owner now.

Mom can give it to daughter, no problem. "Hey, Mom, let me sell Dad's old gun and I'll take us out to dinner with the money I get" or something. File the Operation of Law (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form and $19, wait a month or so, sell the gun through a PPT (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_-_PPT).

Jason762
05-10-2009, 8:28 PM
Well, thanks for the tips, but it's all for naught.

She won't sell it to me. She'd rather take it into the police station to have it destroyed rather than make some money and legally transfer it to me via an FFL.

Frustrates the crap out of me but what can I do.

Blackhawk556
05-10-2009, 8:35 PM
Well, thanks for the tips, but it's all for naught.

She won't sell it to me. She'd rather take it into the police station to have it destroyed rather than make some money and legally transfer it to me via an FFL.

she probably thinks your trying to jack her. Why wouldn't she sell it to you? sounds dumb, she probably rather have it destroyed because she thinks your trying to make money off of her dad's gun.

Jason762
05-10-2009, 8:50 PM
she probably thinks your trying to jack her. Why wouldn't she sell it to you? sounds dumb, she probably rather have it destroyed because she thinks your trying to make money off of her dad's gun.

My friend knows I would be completely honest about price. I told her her pistol could go for anywhere between $ 400 and $1,000 and several thousand if it was a rare collectible or an antique. If it had been a pistol I wanted to buy (I was hoping it was a Glock 17), I would've shown her the going price for it and asked what she wanted for it.

Since she wouldn't sell it to me, I suggested she wait for a gun buy back where she'd get $200 instead of nothing. Had she been willing to sell it to me she probably would've made $500 instead. :rolleyes:

Librarian
05-10-2009, 9:10 PM
How about "Hey, wait - let me teach you how to shoot it; I'll buy the ammo ..." Then maybe (1) you'll get to see what it is and (2) she'll decide it would be better to keep it.

Low probability, I know.

Jason762
05-10-2009, 9:13 PM
I offered. Even said I'd teach them how to unload it in case it was loaded (as a HD gun might be). Turned down that offer too. They could be turning in a loaded gun to the police department :eek:

The mom is one of those, "guns are evil, only cops should have them" crowd.

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-10-2009, 9:19 PM
people like that make me want to cry

JagerTroop
05-10-2009, 9:23 PM
...She won't sell it to me. She'd rather take it into the police station to have it destroyed rather than make some money and legally transfer it to me via an FFL.

...The mom is one of those, "guns are evil, only cops should have them" crowd.

My blood pressure just went up. The fear and ignorance of liberals never ceases to amaze and infuriate me:banghead:

Requiem
05-10-2009, 9:27 PM
Mine too jagertroop; dumb woman....

Jason762
05-10-2009, 9:37 PM
Mine too jagertroop; dumb woman....

Hey bro, that's my friend's mother. I know I (we) disagree with her, but I (we) should still respect her opinion.

It may help you to know she's Japanese born, maybe it has something to do with Japanese culture.

But it still perplexes me why the father would've bought a gun with a wife who disliked guns so much :confused:

roc
05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
But it still perplexes me why the father would've bought a gun with a wife who disliked guns so much :confused:

There are more of us with wives who don't particularly like guns than you think! :( It is probably why he only had one :)

domokun
05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey bro, that's my friend's mother. I know I (we) disagree with her, but I (we) should still respect her opinion.

It may help you to know she's Japanese born, maybe it has something to do with Japanese culture.

In Japan, it's illegal for normal citizenry to own guns. Only the Police and the Military have guns with the exception of those who belong to a hunting club or other permitted exception to the rule. For the rest of the general populace, the police have the right to randomly inspect your residence at will for illegal firearms and contraband without a warrant. If you grew up in that environment, you could understand why they're hard set in in that mentality even though they're in the US. As the legal owner through inheritance, you should just take her to a gun shop and have her consign the gun at current market value and convince her that this is just as good as taking it to the police and having it destroyed instead of offering to buy it off of her.