PDA

View Full Version : OK for friend 2 ship 20rd Fal mags to me

problemchild
05-10-2009, 9:38 AM
My buddy bought 3 20rd Fal mags where he lives in AZ. He does not want to ship to me in CA them for fear of breaking the law. If he ships them and I install the 10rd blocking device is it legal to ship them into CA?

Does the blocking device have to be permanent and non reversible?

elrcastor
05-10-2009, 9:39 AM
he will have to ship them in disassembled

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 9:41 AM
he will have to ship them in disassembled

Or he can alter the mags to 10 round capacity before he ships them...

Noobert
05-10-2009, 9:45 AM
there really is no way for it to be "non reversible"; everything can be undone

low94noma
05-10-2009, 2:11 PM
Like elrcastor said, disassemble them as mag rebuild kits to ship them in. DO NOT ASSEMBLE THEM IN CALIFORNIA! Depending on how the LEO or agency interprets the magazine. Your best bet is having them shipped disassembled and immediately assemble the magazine to accept no more than 10 rounds with a permanent, non reversible blocking device. There is a good thread somewhere on here somewhere that talks about high cap mags being modified to a 10 rounder.

Do what you feel most comfortable doing. I am not knowledgeable on the applicable laws regarding this issue. It is at your own risk but I see no problem in disassembling them and permanently modifying them to 10 rounds when you receive them.

domokun
05-10-2009, 2:45 PM
The easiest thing for your friend is to ship them to you 100% and fully disassembled as magazine rebuild kits and then leave it up to you to convert them into 10 round magazines or leave them in their disassembled state for out of state use.

gunsmith
05-10-2009, 2:52 PM
I wouldn't do it if I were you. Right now the law is too stringent.
We will be able to overturn it (dumb law) in a year or so anyway.
If you get busted before by some over zealous agent, its on your record for good even though it will be perfectly legal to own standard capacity mags in a year or two.

rolo
05-10-2009, 3:06 PM
Parts is parts. Rebuild kits are perfectly fine. No need to spread FUD.

tlillard23
05-10-2009, 3:19 PM
:TFH::TFH: :fud::fud:
If you get busted before by some over zealous agent, its on your record for good even though it will be perfectly legal to own standard capacity mags in a year or two.

aplinker
05-10-2009, 3:20 PM

not really.

You're perfectly within your rights to have them shipped to you and to "permanently" alter to accept 10rds only.

I'd suggest using a rivet/epoxy, as this is fast, easy and there are indications this is a DOJ accepted method.

Futurecollector
05-10-2009, 3:41 PM

Just so many things wrong with this statment, and Fud everywhere,

OP, like everyone else has said, just have him send you Rebuild kits, then do what you want with the, weather that be leave them as kits, or asseble them as 10 RD'ers... which ever way you go its perfectly legal.

Cobrafreak
05-10-2009, 8:18 PM
Have the magazines disassembled before shipping and they are now parts. Magic.