PDA

View Full Version : Front Horizontal Grip legal on pistols?

Adog5
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
For an AK pistol with a mag lock on it, can someone put a horizontal (NOT A VERTICAL, I KNOW THAT IS NFA AND IS ILLEGAL) forward pistol grip. So it would extend out to the left so you could grab it with your left hand.

Also, is a threaded barrel ok on this type of pistol?

ke6guj
05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
For an AK pistol with a mag lock on it, can someone put a horizontal (NOT A VERTICAL, I KNOW THAT IS NFA AND IS ILLEGAL) forward pistol grip. So it would extend out to the left so you could grab it with your left hand. I think it would still be an NFA-regulated AOW since it would be a "concealable firearm designed to be fired with two hands" and at that point, does not meet the definition of a handgun. Because of that, it is considered an AOW.

Also, is a threaded barrel ok on this type of pistol?If it had a detachable magazine, no. But if the mag was fixed, yes.

aplinker
05-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I think it would still be an NFA-regulated AOW since it would be a "concealable firearm designed to be fired with two hands" and at that point, does not meet the definition of a handgun. Because of that, it is considered an AOW.

If it had a detachable magazine, no. But if the mag was fixed, yes.

Jack, how does that definition exclude a forward handguard for a pistol? That would make it designed to be shot with two hands, as well.

I agree with the conclusion, though, that it seems the BATFE thinks they're AOWs

ke6guj
05-10-2009, 12:43 AM
like the forward grip/heat shield on an UZI pistol? I dunno why.

What sucks is that BATFE has lost in district court on the VFG=AOW before, but won't appeal it up to the appeals court so that the ruling "sticks". But they still threaten to prosecute a VFG'ed handgun as an AOW.

aplinker
05-10-2009, 1:10 AM
like the forward grip/heat shield on an UZI pistol? I dunno why.

What sucks is that BATFE has lost in district court on the VFG=AOW before, but won't appeal it up to the appeals court so that the ruling "sticks". But they still threaten to prosecute a VFG'ed handgun as an AOW.

It's just because they're protecting us. :rolleyes:

Thanks... you're always a wealth of info. :)