PDA

View Full Version : how do you deal with that first scratch?

walter
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
so you buy a brand new gun (or mint condition used gun) and you put that first scratch on it.. god it drives me crazy because I was trying on a holster and my belt buckle scratch my gun

which leads me to ask who here thinks of their guns as tools and are proud of the "usage marks"?

I personally just hate to be the one to put a flaw into something that was in perfect condition, especially if im the owner!

KaTooM
05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
buy 10,000 more rounds and scratch that itch!

:)

762cavalier
05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Guns are tools especially a piece you holster and carry with you. Scratches happen. I don't worry about them.:)

Tillers_Rule
05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't worry about them, I justify them as best to get it out of the way, that way I don't baby the gun until I get another scratch.

Besides, scratches give them character:)

Saigon1965
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Unless it's a collectible piece - Don't worry about it too much - What kind of finish?

walter
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Unless it's a collectible piece - Don't worry about it too much - What kind of finish?

tenifer, lol

tyrist
05-09-2009, 10:34 PM
tenifer, lol

I went down on my bike with my g23 and scratched the slide....doesn't matter it still works. It's a tactical pistol not a museum piece as long as it shoots who cares.

Saigon1965
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Black tennifer - Take a Sharpie to it -

weaksauce
05-09-2009, 10:40 PM
I personally just hate to be the one to put a flaw into something that was in perfect condition, especially if im the owner!

I would think it'd be worse to put the first scratch into something that wasn't yours :p

paintballergb
05-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I try to be as careful as I can but s**t happens.

MRpink
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
This comes up every now and then on knife forums and I always respond the same way, it adds character. :) Don't get stressed over it, it's a user.

nagorb
05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
It is time to get rid of it, give it to someone who is unworthy.
Like me:43:

Arteel
05-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Don't worry. The more scratches you get, the less you will care. ;)

Jonathan Doe
05-10-2009, 5:12 AM
I don't have a scratch on my pistol, but have a lot of wear marks on it from carrying everyday in the holster. It shows a character..:cool:

JohnnyG
05-10-2009, 5:24 AM
Tenifer isn't black. If it's the Glock, you scratched the outer coating they put on their guns. Tenifer (and rust protection) will still be there.

I've seen Glock's so holster worn that they almost looked like nickel. Tenifer was still doing it's job and no rust.

Also, the factory will recoat any metal parts with the black stuff for a reasonable price. They will look brand new when you get them back.

John

TheBundo
05-10-2009, 5:30 AM
They don't bother me at all, nor do scratches on my car. Such thinking just messes up my thinking about important things, so I gave that thinking up decades ago, and life is so much better. It's just "stuff".

thefurball
05-10-2009, 6:40 AM
You want perfect? Don't handle it, don't holster it, keep it locked away in the vault and by all means don't shoot it!

Where is the fun in that? :confused:

It is a firearm. It is designed to be used. Keep it nice, keep it clean, keep it oiled, and don't use it as a hammer to open walnuts.

Other than that don't worry about a scratch or two.

THT
05-10-2009, 7:13 AM
Scratches and blemishes give a gun character. And sometimes, they can have a story associated with them. It's a tool, use it, mark it, and make it yours.

PatriotnMore
05-10-2009, 7:22 AM
Scratches and blemishes give a gun character. And sometimes, they can have a story associated with them. It's a tool, use it, mark it, and make it yours.

I agree, all my firearms, are used and bear the wear and tear of use, especially my hunting firearms. When I see a scratch/wear free firearm, I think either the person doesn't really shoot much, or they are a collector.

Greg-Dawg
05-10-2009, 7:41 AM
Glocks are work horses. If I got that idiot scratch on a classic Colt .45, then I'd be pissed...but I'd probably get it buffed out.

As for Glocks, I get mine at a good price so I don't cry over spilled milk...I'll end up buying more Glocks anyways.

Get over it.:thumbsup:

8200rpm
05-10-2009, 8:33 AM
Glock??? This is like buying new running shoes and getting pissed when they get dirty after a marathon. :rolleyes:

Has little to do with "character". It's called "usage". Once you start spending more money on ammo than guns, you'll realize how utterly ridiculous this is.

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 8:38 AM
so you buy a brand new gun (or mint condition used gun) and you put that first scratch on it.. god it drives me crazy because I was trying on a holster and my belt buckle scratch my gun

which leads me to ask who here thinks of their guns as tools and are proud of the "usage marks"?

Look at it, accept it, then buy all the ammo you can afford and break it in right!

ontmark
05-10-2009, 8:46 AM
If you bought it as a collector item it should be kept in a padded gun rug and in the safe. If you bought to shoot and carry. Then shoot it and don’t worry about it until it is worn out.

Kind of like a car. If you don’t want those door dings don’t drive it, keep it garaged.
My truck has scratches down both sides from going thru brush to get to those fishing spots and deer camp. It is used for what I bought it for. I always wonder why someone has a four wheel drive vehicle and it looks as if it is a show vehicle. Why did they buy it??

Some Guy
05-10-2009, 8:56 AM
You want perfect? Don't handle it, don't holster it, keep it locked away in the vault and by all means don't shoot it!

Where is the fun in that? :confused:

It is a firearm. It is designed to be used. Keep it nice, keep it clean, keep it oiled, and don't use it as a hammer to open walnuts.

Other than that don't worry about a scratch or two.

So Im confused, how do I open the walnuts? Shoot em? Thats sounds kinda dangerous.
ETA: If you hold this walnut while I open it I'll give you half.

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 8:59 AM
So Im confused, how do I open the walnuts? Shoot em? Thats sounds kinda dangerous.

Messy too

andrewj
05-10-2009, 9:06 AM
There will be more

B Strong
05-10-2009, 9:11 AM
"how do you deal with that first scratch?"

You get over it. It's a tool, it's designed to be used.

If it's a collectors item, that's a different question. The guns I have that are put away stricly as safe queens get treated differently than the guns I own that are "users."

I've never damaged a safe queen yet, but I'm sure I've hurt their feelings when a new piece is added to their ranks.

swerv512
05-10-2009, 9:32 AM
i cant believe you managed to scratch a tennifer finsh. i've rough handled my tennifer piece for years and it has stood up to the test of time and still shines like new....

gwl
05-10-2009, 10:38 AM
The scratch doesn't bother me too much especially if I put it there. Now when you loan it to someone and they put a scratch on it or in my case, dropped my new handgun, that's a different story.

Voo
05-10-2009, 10:48 AM
It's called "usage". Once you start spending more money on ammo than guns, you'll realize how utterly ridiculous this is.

Agreed.. It's gonna happen. Expecting to keep it pristine is kinda silly if you plan on using it.

bill104
05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
The Late Great Dale Earnhardt Once gave a Brand New truck To Harry Gant, right there in the Dealership parking lot, Dale kick the side and keyed the door, and simple Looked at Harry and said, (there now you won't worry about going into the woods with it) shot it and have fun.

Black Majik
05-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Blech... I hate scratches. I don't view them as "badges of honor."

Similiarly, I don't go looking forward to getting scratches taking the truck off road. It just ends up happening.

However, only thing worse than scratches are DENTS and DINGS! Like flattened frontstrap checkering... Uggghhhh!! :(

bombadillo
05-10-2009, 12:55 PM
First thing you do when you get a good gun is throw it in the dirt. Get it over with, clean it, rinse and repeat as necessary. :gun_bandana:

Vacaville
05-10-2009, 1:08 PM
If you worry about how they look, you can baby your guns and still use them. Clean them and keep'em locked away when you aren't using them - and then accept the fact that if they get a lot of mileage they will eventually get dinged up. If it really bother you, you can always use cold blue or Duracoat to touch them up.

I'd also take the quality and rarity of the gun into mind too. Big difference between dinging up a working man's Glock and a pristine Colt Python that they no longer manufacture.

NotSoFast
05-10-2009, 8:18 PM
My ex mother-in-law had this theory. She thought every new car ought to come pre-dinged. The salesman, as you are signing the contract, would pull out his hammer and go put a dent in it in an inconspicuous spot. I like that idea.

I made my first scratch in my pistol so I'm not worried about pristine. If I wanted pristine I would never even pull it out of the box to look at it. But guns are to be used, not babied. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

smittty
05-10-2009, 9:02 PM

That's nothing, I once scratched my friends brand new PU with my belt buckle reaching into the box from the side. I felt bad but he outgrew that truck within a year and sold it. I don't reach into the box of a pu from the side anymore.

I don't like scratches on my guns and depending how deep it is I might send it in to Glock for refinishing. Worn blueing at the edges doesn't bother me but a deep scratch would.

I see guns are a from of Art. Some are junk but the Glock, XD, some Sigs, HK, etc. are pure form of art imo.

Smitty

tankerman
05-10-2009, 9:14 PM
I'll fix it for you.

Bring it over, I drive over it a few times till you don't see 'the' scratch anymore.

thefurball
05-11-2009, 6:09 AM
ETA: If you hold this walnut while I open it I'll give you half.

Shoot them? No no no!

You hold the walnut between your knees, holding the round between your thumb and index finger, you put the pointy end of the round on the walnut and hit the flat end (the end with the primer) with the butt of the pistol. Much more effective. :D

(PS - If you think even for a moment that I am anywhere near serious you don't belong on this forum!)

JTROKS
05-11-2009, 6:42 AM
I would think it'd be worse to put the first scratch into something that wasn't yours :p

+1 on this.

Everytime I get handed a gun for inspection I always treat it like it was mine and I take care of my guns. In some occasions it's hard not to put a ding or scratch on a gun especially when you're out hunting or shooting an action pistol match. But I never take out my frustrations on the gun even when it's not shooting properly.

First scratch frustrations will subside in time then the second scratch happens. It's fine, it's a tool, unless it's a minty rare collectible.

serkerone
05-11-2009, 6:49 AM
+1 on this.

Everytime I get handed a gun for inspection I always treat it like it was mine and I take care of my guns. In some occasions it's hard not to put a ding or scratch on a gun especially when you're out hunting or shooting an action pistol match. But I never take out my frustrations on the gun even when it's not shooting properly.

First scratch frustrations will subside in time then the second scratch happens. It's fine, it's a tool, unless it's a minty rare collectible.

+1 to this i take my frustration out on the target at 4 feet :D

well used to atleast. now im shooting better thanks to the calgun community :thumbsup:

Fantasma
05-11-2009, 8:54 AM
It adds character. I brush it off and not avoid the inevitable. Of course i am careful with it but when it happens it does, no need to cry over it.

will227457
05-11-2009, 9:50 AM
ask your self this

are you a shooter or a collector?

most gun owners are collectors as they never put enough ammo down the pipe to be considered a shooter.....

oghl888
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I am sure it has been said: it's a tool. Scratches means you use it as a tool. A perfectly kept gun is not a useful gun unless you are talking about a collector's piece.

When I get my first scratch, I quickly went out and got a second scratch :)

hkusp9c
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
If it drives me crazy to a point that I can't go to sleep at night and cry every time I see the beautiful piece, I'd just send it back to the factory and have it refinished. :D

maschronic
05-11-2009, 10:28 AM
add another scratch on it. the second one will not hurt as much.

if you holster your gun, your bound to get scratches on it. just buy more ammo and shoot it some more.

armygunsmith
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
After the first scratch, you breath a sigh of relief because now your firearm is a tool and not a safe queen.

grunz
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Yep, the first scratch on a fancy new gun is a disaster.

Subsequent scratches simply add charcater. :)

Alexjr1967
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought my guns used ... don't have to worry about the first scratch :thumbsup:

evan69
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I think of gun scratches the same way I think of guitar scratches. It adds character.

Black Majik
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I think of gun scratches the same way I think of guitar scratches. It adds character.

Oh man, THOSE are the worst. Nicks in the guitar body causes me insomnia for TWO WEEKS!

I think it even tops curbing rims.

esskay
05-11-2009, 3:10 PM
A Glock?! I thought you were talking about a Yost-Bonitz custom 1911! ;)

Take the Glock to a couple training courses where you go urban prone in dirt and coarse sand, in one case getting so much of that coarse sand into the holster that you can barely unholster the weapon until you yank on it with two hands!

The slide of this G19 was more or less pristine prior to the classes. Here it is now:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1760/20090311img3623g19.jpg

I like it. Character is right! :D

fairfaxjim
05-11-2009, 4:07 PM
Me, I scream some obscenities and thow it down on the ground to make sure it has plenty more. Then I go shoot 2 or 3 thousand rounds through it without cleaning it. Never think twice about another scratch in than gun. Oh yeah, and then I go list it for sale on on Calguns as LNIB!:D

Crawfish141
05-11-2009, 4:24 PM

I buy stainless guns, if there's a scratch I polish it! :thumbsup:

Bill of Ojai
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Wait! You guys actually use your guns and let them get dirty?

KeithET
05-12-2009, 9:23 AM
I have to admit that the first scratch bugged me. But I soon realized that a gun is a tool. Scratches happen and will continue to happen. After about the 10th scratch I took on the attitude of "Heck with it". Just shoot the darn thing. Keep it clean and shoot it some more. By the time I was on my 3rd or 4th gun I stopped paying attention to the scratches. Above all its a tool, use it just don't abuse it. Scratches and blemishes that don't effect the function just get ignored.

KeithET

Bukowski
05-12-2009, 7:18 PM
Just carve your CDL # in it. Takes care of the scratch problem and collectors in the future will just love you :thumbsup:

JohnJW
05-12-2009, 9:38 PM
How much is your life worth? More or less than those superficial scratches? All my regularly handles guns all have scratches and wears. If your defense gun looks pristine then you're either not practicing enough or way too slow in clearing your holster and/or reloading.

If you have a collector gun, not that I know what one would look like, you shouldn't even be touching it. . .

Wompinblazer
05-12-2009, 9:54 PM

"Better you than someone else"

xtalpimp
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
if you really liked it that much before you got a scratch on it then use it as a beater and buy another one to take its place in the safe queen pageant:D

jlchavis0844
05-13-2009, 12:15 AM
When my brother bought his new truck, he punched then door just enough to put a small dent in it and then said, "there, now I don't have to worry about that first scratch". Guns, cars, sneakers are all babies until that first ding. Get it out of the way so you can use it like it's ment to be used. A truck is a truck just like a gun is a gun.

Mstnpete
05-18-2009, 6:50 PM
I use many handguns for competition IPSC & USPSA. And when the finish is scratched up I normally have the slide or the entire gun hard chromed. Then it becomes scratch resistant. From STI's to Glocks.

tba02
05-18-2009, 7:12 PM
I take care of all my tools and similar equipment. I don't go out of my way to scratch or damage them, but when it happens I say damn, make a mental note of how long it was before it happened and move on, taking as much care as previously.

Maybe that's why my newest auto is a 1996 and still in decent shape (I just plain wore out my 1987 M/C so after 21 years I treated myself to a new daily driver).

ArnFromVA
05-19-2009, 12:04 AM
When I was a little kid, I used to avoid moving my favorite GI Joe figures more than needed so that the joints wouldn't wear out and just flop around instead of holding a pose. Years later I realized that the ones I had the most fun with were the ones that fought in the trenches that my friends and I dug in the yard.

I still manage to keep my guns looking great, but for some reason I love seeing wear on my 1911. I actually wish I got mine in a parkerized finish instead of stainless; there's just something about how park wears that appeals to me. I honestly think that old 1911s with ancient wooden grips and blued finish worn down to bare steel in some places look way better than new slick looking ones.

mike452
05-19-2009, 9:03 AM
I can never be proud of the scratches I made on my guns. Some were stupid, but I learned to live with it and try not to do it again. It does happen again every now and then.

It’s the same with my car.

I saw a bastard driving an old beat-up Mercury Cougar that kicked open door before he exited his car in the Turners parking lot. A white Volvo was the victim.

That proud guy might be in this thread. This was at West Covina Turners.