PDA

View Full Version : Gun "Buy Back" program in Los Angeles

squatting_caveboy
05-09-2009, 8:03 PM
So, the report is in that the LAPD Gun Buyback Program was "too successful" with many people be turned away after the gift cards were all given away. Please note in the attached link that is appears that there were some collectibles that were returned and will eventually be destroyed. A real travesty.

I know some of you suggested intervening during their next "event" and purchasing the legal and collectible firearms BEFORE the owners turn them over to the LAPD for a measly $100 gift card or for no comp. at all.

Does anyone else find this program to be absurd? It is clearly another method of taking legal and usable guns out of the hands of citizens who have a right to own and operate them.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12334501?source=rss

And of course the infamous mayor of L.A. is suggesting "Just say no to gun". He're a snipett of his quote after the buyback program wrapped up on Saturday....

"I want to thank the L.A. residents who joined us today in securing a safer city for every family by turning in their guns and helping us get dangerous weapons off the streets," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said. "No legislation can replace the unified voice heard today of a community saying no to guns, gangs and indiscriminate violence in our neighborhoods."

bodger
05-09-2009, 8:13 PM
So, the report is in that the LAPD Gun Buyback Program was "too successful" with many people be turned away after the gift cards were all given away. Please note in the attached link that is appears that there were some collectibles that were returned and will eventually be destroyed. A real travesty.

I know some of you suggested intervening during their next "event" and purchasing the legal and collectible firearms BEFORE the owners turn them over to the LAPD for a measly $100 gift card or for no comp. at all.

Does anyone else find this program to be absurd? It is clearly another method of taking legal and usable guns out of the hands of citizens who have a right to own and operate them.

It's a travesty and just another way for the antis to demonize guns.

Now we'll have to endure all the news stories that will try to show how warm and fuzzy it feels when citizens surrender their evil firearms to the authorities so they can destroy them.

RomanDad
05-09-2009, 8:15 PM

Its a free country.... If somebody wants to sell his gun for 100 bucks its no business of mine.

truthseeker
05-09-2009, 8:29 PM
Its a free country.... If somebody wants to sell his gun for 100 bucks its no business of mine.

I agree!

I wish I had a bunch of "beater" rifles and handguns that were inoperable that I could turn in for money/gift cards.

ChuckBooty
05-09-2009, 8:32 PM
Yeah...I hope LAPD enjoys their truck loads of rusted Mosin Nagants.

squatting_caveboy
05-09-2009, 8:43 PM
You're missing the point guys. Yep, it is a free country and we are free to bear arms. Celebrating destruction of a collectable firearm is a travesty to most gun enthusiasts. But the bigger picture is this: The LAPD progam will have zero impact on gun crimes and a huge impact on the declining social stigma of gun ownership. I'm shocked at the less than passionate objection to this program. "No business of mine" is the easy way out.

RomanDad
05-09-2009, 9:18 PM
You're missing the point guys. Yep, it is a free country and we are free to bear arms. Celebrating destruction of a collectable firearm is a travesty to most gun enthusiasts. But the bigger picture is this: The LAPD progam will have zero impact on gun crimes and a huge impact on the declining social stigma of gun ownership. I'm shocked at the less than passionate objection to this program. "No business of mine" is the easy way out.

Im not missing any point.... Nor am I celebrating anything.

They arent MY GUNS....

THEY ARE SOMEBODY ELSE'S PROPERTY, AND AS SUCH, THEIR OWNERS CAN DO WHATEVER THEY LEGALLY WANT TO WITH THEM....

They can sell them...

They can give them away....

They can run them over with a dump-truck...

Or they can bring them to a gun buy back....

Nobody is being FORCED to sell their guns to the LAPD for a $100 gift card to bed bath and beyond, or whatever the hell it is they're giving away this week.

Nor does it matter that it wont reduce crime... The city provides ways to get rid of all sorts of items people dont want any more, from used Pizza boxes to CRT monitors.... And if somebody decides "Gee... I don't think I want this gun anymore, how can I get rid of it easy" its none of my business.... I have no idea how any of it stigmatizes gun owners? Wow... Some people own guns and no longer want them... What a revelation.

Im sure if you brought a bag of cash and an ffl down to the buyback lot and offered people MORE MONEY than they were getting from LAPD, I'm sure you could have snatched up all the guns you wanted.... Failing that, you're really not a party to the transaction.

Fantasma
05-09-2009, 9:52 PM
Someone should take a video camera to these things and record what kind of cool firearms are being given away for a measly 100 bucks...

Might find interesting things....

N6ATF
05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Each time there is one of these, we talk and plan for ways to combat them, even to the point of starting multiple threads on the same exact date and location(s). Then afterwards we whinge on and on and on about it.

YAWN.

CCWFacts
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
If you want to see less of these anti-gun PR stunts, vote "no" on Props 1A and 1B. It's hard for me to feel sympathy when they talk about how the state and local governments are running out of money when they somehow have the resources to engage in this type of nonsense.

luchador768
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Slightly off topic question; did the person that turned in the sawed off single shot get $100 or $200? A short barreled shotgun is a class III weapon correct, and as such it is a media defined "ASSAULT WEAPON." I wonder if the person knew enough about gun laws to argue for their extra hundred.

RomanDad
05-10-2009, 5:41 AM
If you want to see less of these anti-gun PR stunts, vote "no" on Props 1A and 1B. It's hard for me to feel sympathy when they talk about how the state and local governments are running out of money when they somehow have the resources to engage in this type of nonsense.

To the best of my knowledge the funding for these comes from the sponsors that provide the chotskies (ralphs and visa in this instance).

halifax
05-10-2009, 5:48 AM
To the best of my knowledge the funding for these comes from the sponsors that provide the chotskies (ralphs and visa in this instance).

Are the sponsors paying for the police and city officials participation also?

eflatminor
05-10-2009, 6:00 AM
I certainly understand those of you that say these buy backs are not your concern. If the money comes from private companies (Boycott Ralphs!), then it's no concern to us. That's reasonable.

However, I can't help but think how we would feel if it was the 1st amendment that the mayor and LAPD hated and instead of buying back guns and destroying them, it was books; books that they deemed potentially hazardess to the citizens. Government book burnings are certainly not unprecidented and I believe universally rejected these days. However, I see little difference in burning books as I do melting guns. Both are protected under the BoRs but the latter is okay to publically destroy? It doesn't seem right.

I still think the next time they do this, we should set up booths right next to the gun buy back tables to collect books. Books that will be burned. Or is that too obtuse for our media to get the connection?

Anyway, I find the gun buy back programs deplorable.

RomanDad
05-10-2009, 6:49 AM
I certainly understand those of you that say these buy backs are not your concern. If the money comes from private companies (Boycott Ralphs!), then it's no concern to us. That's reasonable.

However, I can't help but think how we would feel if it was the 1st amendment that the mayor and LAPD hated and instead of buying back guns and destroying them, it was books; books that they deemed potentially hazardess to the citizens. Government book burnings are certainly not unprecidented and I believe universally rejected these days. However, I see little difference in burning books as I do melting guns. Both are protected under the BoRs but the latter is okay to publically destroy? It doesn't seem right.

I still think the next time they do this, we should set up booths right next to the gun buy back tables to collect books. Books that will be burned. Or is that too obtuse for our media to get the connection?

Anyway, I find the gun buy back programs deplorable.
This is not comparable to "book Brunings". Book burnings are COMPULSORY. You BURN THE OBJECTIONABLE TEXTS or you are declared an enemy of the state and persecuted.

I can voluntarily burn my books all day long... I have an extensive library, and I can sit in it and light them off one by one if I want....

Or I can throw them in a recycling bin and let the city do the burning for me.

As long as I am not being COMPELLED by threat of law to do it, who cares?

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 8:00 AM

I got a kick out of the "Buy Back" when I went to the Winmington location there were 3 Mercedies, a BMW, and a newer pick-up in line, I spoke to almost all of them.... All turning in papreweights.... one had a H&R revolver, in two pieces, that looked like it had been burried in the yard...

CCWFacts
05-10-2009, 8:11 AM

Yes but did they fund the time that the cops spent in dealing with this? It must have been not-insignificant to have a few cops take a day away from actually fighting crime and spent it on a PR stunt. The article only talked about donating the gift cards. I assume LA threw in the other thousands of dollars for the police to be there.

scrappy
05-10-2009, 8:14 AM
I got a kick out of the "Buy Back" when I went to the Winmington location there were 3 Mercedies, a BMW, and a newer pick-up in line, I spoke to almost all of them.... All turning in papreweights.... one had a H&R revolver, in two pieces, that looked like it had been burried in the yard...
I guess we've already sold all of the good weapons to the Mexican drug lords :43:

escon1
05-10-2009, 8:20 AM
I bet all the bad guys turned their weapons in. What a poor publicity stunt by Gumby Villa Regosa and his POS minions.

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 8:20 AM
I guess we've already sold all of the good weapons to the Mexican drug lords :43:

:rofl:

McCrown
05-10-2009, 8:21 AM
What about criminals who have stolen guns, or went out and stole a gun for this buy-back. Now we are rewarding criminals, no questions asked.

glockman19
05-10-2009, 8:23 AM
I would have liked the chrome plated luger

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 8:25 AM
What about criminals who have stolen guns, or went out and stole a gun for this buy-back. Now we are rewarding criminals, no questions asked.

I bet they'd get arrested.... The police know who the gang members are, many are prohibited from possessing firearms...

tyrist
05-10-2009, 9:31 AM
Quoted from the article.
It's like Jack in the Box, the drive-through," said LAPD Lt. Stephen Carmona, who ran the Canoga Park collection site.

Carmona reported no trouble.

"It's a pretty good-looking group of citizens," he said. "We didn't expect any gangsters."

So a bunch of decent law abiding citizens turned in guns....sounds like a successful buy back to me :rolleyes:

scr83jp
05-10-2009, 10:05 AM

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12334501?source=rss It's another method to solve crimes and arrest suspects because they test fire & do ballistic checks on everyone of those turned in handguns and rifles before they're destroyed!A lot of the stuff turned in isn't worth anything,it's junk.

squatting_caveboy
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Read Tony Villars statement:
"I want to thank the L.A. residents who joined us today in securing a safer city for every family by turning in their guns and helping us get dangerous weapons off the streets," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said. "No legislation can replace the unified voice heard today of a community saying no to guns, gangs and indiscriminate violence in our neighborhoods."

Here's a guy that will go to any length to support tighter gun controls and create a fear based social stigma about guns in his city. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Gangsters: 1 - Law abiding citizens: 0

RRangel
05-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Here's a guy that will go to any length to support tighter gun controls and create a fear based social stigma about guns in his city. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Gangsters: 1 - Law abiding citizens: 0

Once you understand that this mayor's talk in the media is PR hype, you'll get it. If he were a used car salesman he would be the epitome of the worst liar on the planet. He's learned that the local populace get their info from sound bite presentations, which unfortunately means they're mostly ignorant. On the surface his effort stands a good chance of being viewed as a politically correct good thing. I'm disturbingly amused anytime he speaks about firearms because his policy is so ridiculous.

bigcalidave
05-10-2009, 11:28 AM
If they didn't expect any gangsters how again are they taking away guns that will be used in crime? And am I reading it right? It was a drivethrough?? What part of that did the people not understand. The POLICE.. who will lie to you 100% of the time... said they will not collect personal info as you turn in your gun. But instead of walking up anonymously and handing a gun over in a paper bag and getting an anonymous gift card, you drive through in your CAR where they are filming your license plate to track the people who dropped off the real bad ones.

Poor idiots.
I do like the people with the junk guns going after the free money.

Casey
05-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I like how they "got them off the streets". Like they were just laying around for anyone to pick up.

bigcalidave
05-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Sitting in a golf bag for years is a definite threat.

Full Clip
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Eh, a bunch of sheeple abandoning firearms they don't trust themselves with.
Who cares. We're probably better off for it.
As someone else noted, it's their property, they can sell it off if they like for whatever they can get.
It's also their right to protect themselves that they are selling for bottom dollar, not mine.

Flopper
05-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I like how they "got them off the streets". Like they were just laying around for anyone to pick up.
yeah, i've always LOVED that euphemism. like there's running gun battles every minute of the day. it's not like we're in somalia or afghanistan.

jeez, not even oakland or east palo alto are THAT bad.

WHenderson
05-10-2009, 3:49 PM
I'm not real happy about the gun buyback program. Yesterday's fiasco claimed 1700 guns. The organizers scammed the people turning in guns, by not paying them as advertised. Many drove off without turning in the weapon they brought to turn in, because the city was not paying them the $100-$200 as promised. The thing that really bothers me (I am absolutely a non-participant) is that the city says all the guns will be destroyed. WHAT ABOUT STOLEN GUNS? WHY AREN'T THEY RETURNED TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS? This ****ing pisses me off. I've had guns stolen from me in the past, I was burglarized in 1987 AND I WANT MY RIFLES BACK! All this does is PAY BURGLARS FOR COMMITTING A FELONY. This whole program is bull****. Now the City of LA is a FENCE FOR STOLEN MERCHANDISE? GREAT. DAMMIT

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 5:20 PM
I'm not real happy about the gun buyback program. Yesterday's fiasco claimed 1700 guns. The organizers scammed the people turning in guns, by not paying them as advertised. Many drove off without turning in the weapon they brought to turn in, because the city was not paying them the $100-$200 as promised. The thing that really bothers me (I am absolutely a non-participant) is that the city says all the guns will be destroyed. WHAT ABOUT STOLEN GUNS? WHY AREN'T THEY RETURNED TO THEIR RIGHTFUL OWNERS? This ****ing pisses me off. I've had guns stolen from me in the past, I was burglarized in 1987 AND I WANT MY RIFLES BACK! All this does is PAY BURGLARS FOR COMMITTING A FELONY. This whole program is bull****. Now the City of LA is a FENCE FOR STOLEN MERCHANDISE? GREAT. DAMMIT

They aren't checking for stolen guns and returning them,?

laguns
05-10-2009, 6:36 PM
...However, I can't help but think how we would feel if it was the 1st amendment that the mayor and LAPD hated and instead of buying back guns and destroying them, it was books; books that they deemed potentially hazardess to the citizens. Government book burnings are certainly not unprecidented and I believe universally rejected these days. However, I see little difference in burning books as I do melting guns. Both are protected under the BoRs but the latter is okay to publically destroy? It doesn't seem right.

It's amazing how many have a problem making that connection.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172349

laguns
05-10-2009, 6:42 PM

Steve, in the eyes of most LA City leaders all privately owned guns are "on the street"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172349

RomanDad
05-10-2009, 7:05 PM
Are the sponsors paying for the police and city officials participation also?

Thats probably the best argument Ive heard against this....

However... When I think of all the nonsense California LEOs get time for, something like this is a drop in the bucket. But I concede if they are on the clock (which they may not be... They may be volunteering?) thats a waste of taxpayer money.

CCWFacts
05-10-2009, 7:17 PM
However... When I think of all the nonsense California LEOs get time for, something like this is a drop in the bucket. But I concede if they are on the clock (which they may not be... They may be volunteering?) thats a waste of taxpayer money.

I would have to assume they're on the clock. So they are taking taxpayer-funded time to participate in a feel-good campaign event for Jack Weiss. That's my biggest problem with this event.

I have a friend in LA who heard gunshots outside her house. She dialed 911 and they said, "we'll send someone around in an hour". So, the day that these LEOs spent collecting rusty guns from non-criminals is a day when they could have responded to a dozen shots-fired calls, or made an arrest, or served a warrant (or even processed a dozen CCW apps)... but no, all those things were less important than showing up at a Jack Weiss campaign publicity event that has no public safety benefit.

RomanDad
05-10-2009, 7:18 PM
I would have to assume they're on the clock. So they are taking taxpayer-funded time to participate in a feel-good campaign event for Jack Weiss. That's my biggest problem with this event.

I have a friend in LA who heard gunshots outside her house. She dialed 911 and they said, "we'll send someone around in an hour". So, the day that these LEOs spent collecting rusty guns from non-criminals is a day when they could have responded to a dozen shots-fired calls, or made an arrest, or served a warrant... but no, all those things were less important than showing up at a Jack Weiss campaign publicity event that has no public safety benefit.

An hour response time????

Response time has really improved since I moved away.:thumbsup:

HowardW56
05-10-2009, 7:25 PM
An hour response time????

Response time has really improved since I moved away.:thumbsup:

They don't want to get there too quick... If the actually caught somebody in the act, the Defectives wouldn't have anything to do...

bodger
05-10-2009, 7:28 PM
They don't want to get there too quick... If the actually caught somebody in the act, the Defectives wouldn't have anything to do...

Next, they'll be offering the perps $200 at the crime scenes for their firearms.

CCWFacts
05-10-2009, 7:34 PM

I got the impression that for a "shots fired" call they didn't do any investigation, they just had a car drive down the street an hour later. Very effective, that is!

Would they really put resources into investigating and prosecuting something like that? I don't know, but somehow I strongly doubt it, or else there wouldn't be so many shots fired in the city.

KWA-S
05-10-2009, 7:56 PM
I got the impression that for a "shots fired" call they didn't do any investigation, they just had a car drive down the street an hour later. Very effective, that is!

Would they really put resources into investigating and prosecuting something like that? I don't know, but somehow I strongly doubt it, or else there wouldn't be so many shots fired in the city.

Nah, too busy arresting 56 year old plumbers for having the wrong part in their rifle.

RaceDay
05-10-2009, 8:14 PM
Quoted from the article.
It's like Jack in the Box, the drive-through," said LAPD Lt. Stephen Carmona, who ran the Canoga Park collection site.

Carmona reported no trouble.

"It's a pretty good-looking group of citizens," he said. "We didn't expect any gangsters."

So a bunch of decent law abiding citizens turned in guns....sounds like a successful buy back to me :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I was thinking. So how exactly are we safer?!? So a bunch of suburbanites drove up in their fancy cars and dropped off their guns. And the little ol ladies from Pasadena dropped off their dead husbands' guns. And the newly married guys whose wives made them get rid of their guns dropped off theirs. And the gang bangers all kept their guns.

So this makes us safer? :confused:

With logic like that, I can't imagine why state and local government is going broke. We've got a bunch of real Einsteins in office.

bodger
05-10-2009, 8:30 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. So how exactly are we safer?!? So a bunch of suburbanites drove up in their fancy cars and dropped off their guns. And the little ol ladies from Pasadena dropped off their dead husbands' guns. And the newly married guys whose wives made them get rid of their guns dropped off theirs. And the gang bangers all kept their guns.

With logic like that, I can't imagine why state and local government is going broke. We've got a bunch of real Einsteins in office.

That's why I believe it is PR to demonize gun possession and promote the anti-gun movement more than it is anything else. Villaragrosso (sp) has his eye on the governor's seat.

JBird33
05-10-2009, 8:37 PM
Some of the gun community here are getting too sensitive. We shouldn't care when someone wants to legally sell his property, as long as there isn't any pressure to do so.

grnt
05-10-2009, 8:58 PM
Its all about publicity. In a city where the crime is rampant, they need someone to stand on the soapbox and preach. Politics. Just wait till he runs for governor.

N6ATF
05-10-2009, 9:11 PM
all those things were less important than showing up at a Jack Weiss campaign publicity event that only benefits criminal safety.

Fixed.

scrappy
05-10-2009, 9:22 PM

The B&E pro's and gang bangers might feel a little safer the next time they're robbing those fine LA citizens.

bodger
05-10-2009, 9:50 PM
Nah, too busy arresting 56 year old plumbers for having the wrong part in their rifle.
:thumbsup:LOL!

bodger
05-10-2009, 9:56 PM
Some of the gun community here are getting too sensitive. We shouldn't care when someone wants to legally sell his property, as long as there isn't any pressure to do so.

I DON'T care if someone wants to legally sell their property as long as there is no pressure for them to do so.

I DO care when my tax dollars are used to pay cops to stand around buying guns, and it is publicized in such a way as to make it look like gun control is a good thing. And every damned news show I have seen that has broadcast the coverage of the event has made it look like exactly that, one way or another.
Anybody that is pro 2A and doesn't see that gun buyback for the stunt that it is has not given it a good look.

Prc329
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
CCW hit it on the head. My big issue with these events is...

1. Criminals aren't turning in there guns for a Ralph's Gift Card, pnly little old ladies who could probably use the $500 her husbands old revolver is really worth but instead is getting ripped off with a gift card.

2. Leo are being taken off the streets to rip off the old lady for a PR stunt. While the LEO are at these events that same little old lady is getting robbed for her gift card on the way home with the gun the criminal didn't turn in cause he knows he can later sell it to a buddy for $500.

RRangel
05-10-2009, 10:29 PM

I would say not. It is so wrong it's hard to know where to start. What we're seeing is the corrupt controllers of a large metropolitan city overtly cloud real issues, and gloss over real problems by offering wasteful and unrealistic solutions. In these economic trying times you'd think the mayor and the city political leaders would have something better to do with $130,000? Beside the fact that it is an insult to gun owning Americans, and a mockery of true justice. If anyone ever doubted that these decision makers are part of the problem, today there can be no doubt.

Roadrunner
05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't think that this is an issue of people selling their private property, it's an issue of people turning in perfectly good self defense weapons because the police are telling them that they will be safer if they do. It's a shame that this disinformation is being disseminated, and it's a shame that people are buying into it.

akspetsnaz
05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe Calgunners can respond to this post as well.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=366858#post366858

allenst65
05-11-2009, 2:56 AM
It's another method to solve crimes and arrest suspects because they test fire & do ballistic checks on everyone of those turned in handguns and rifles before they're destroyed!

Uh, better check your facts.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12111592
City gun buyback set for next month
By Rick Orlov, Staff Writer
Posted: 04/10/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT

"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.

Even assuming that they did perform ballistics tests, how would this serve as a 'method to solve crimes and arrest suspects' when they are taking in the guns anonymously ? :confused:
It's kinda hard to arrest suspects when they have no idea who turned it which firearm.

What I am really curious about is if they even run the serial numbers to check for stolen firearms. They are compelled by law to notify and allow recovery of any stolen firearms prior to making plans for their destruction. I wonder if there any way to check if they are actually complying with CA law on this issue ?

El Barto
05-11-2009, 7:40 AM
Boy, does my soul feel burdened now. I was one of those evil people that turned in a couple of guns on Saturday.

And they were both K98's in .308 to boot.

:(

Untamed1972
05-11-2009, 7:51 AM
I like how they call it a "gun buy-back" program. Makes it sound like they're just buying back what was their's to begin with. Of all the guns I purchased.....I never once bought one from the city or the PD.

fairfaxjim
05-11-2009, 8:00 AM
Uh, better check your facts.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12111592
City gun buyback set for next month
Posted: 04/10/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT

"There will be no questions asked on how someone got a gun," Villaraigosa said, adding no ballistic tests will be run on the weapons to see if they were used in a crime. Plans are for the Los Angeles Police Department to melt down the weapons after they are collected.

Even assuming that they did perform ballistics tests, how would this serve as a 'method to solve crimes and arrest suspects' when they are taking in the guns anonymously ? :confused:
It's kinda hard to arrest suspects when they have no idea who turned it which firearm.

What I am really curious about is if they even run the serial numbers to check for stolen firearms. They are compelled by law to notify and allow recovery of any stolen firearms prior to making plans for their destruction. I wonder if there any way to check if they are actually complying with CA law on this issue ?

So, the LAPD is potentially destroying evidence that could solve crimes AND potentially destroying recovered property rightfully owned by others. I guess it is ok to break laws if it serves your purpose and you are the Mayor of LA intending to run for Gov. :mad:

Along with admitting that they didn't even expect to get any guns from gangster types, what do they say they are accomplishing out there?

While I agree with some that what someone does with their personal property is of no concern to me, I have to draw the line at government sponsered "dog and pony" shows that have only the intent to vilify firearms. Those that turn in their guns are not the perpetrators in these events, the politico's that stand in front of the cameras and task the LE agencies to hold them are the real culprits here. They are truly off the ranch with their personal agenda and over reaching their authority.

Untamed1972
05-11-2009, 8:29 AM
it's an issue of people turning in perfectly good self defense weapons because the police are telling them that they will be safer if they do.

wolves in sheepdogs clothing. :(

HowardW56
05-11-2009, 8:37 AM
wolves in sheepdogs clothing. :(

And I always thought it was "A wolf in sheep's clothing" :rolleyes:

Untamed1972
05-11-2009, 8:45 AM
And I always thought it was "A wolf in sheep's clothing" :rolleyes:

A wolf in sheeps clothing can sneak into the flock and grab ONE sheep before his cover is blown.

A wolf in sheepdogs clothing and lead the whole flock astray into a completely defenseless position and enjoy eating the whole flock at his leisure.

Someone who claims to be looking out for your safety and yet encourages you to do things that put you at risk or leave you defenseless is NOT a sheepdog.

SARmike
05-11-2009, 9:15 AM
Take a close look at this picture. The date on the envelope is 5-8-09.
The buyback was on the 9th.

N6ATF
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Take a close look at this picture. The date on the envelope is 5-8-09.
The buyback was on the 9th.

Assuming they mis-dated the EVIDENCE BAG, they were lying about full amnesty. You don't fill out the form and write 'full auto' on it if you're planning to melt it down ASAP. Probably has the make, model, and license plate of the vehicle obscured by the gun too. It should be in a box awaiting fingerprinting and ballistics now.

WHenderson
05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Todays news conference showed the gun haul. Lots of nice guns. The reporter said "stolen guns would be returned to their owners" I'm hoping to get a phone call...

rhazbu01
05-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Totally agree! These silly programs are a classic example of poor government spending.

SARmike
05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
This gun came from the LAPD. It was not turned in at the buyback. It was brought out to show the news what bad bad guns were turned in. The guns that were turned in were tagged not put into envelops.

N6ATF
05-11-2009, 2:01 PM
This gun came from the LAPD. It was not turned in at the buyback. It was brought out to show the news what bad bad guns were turned in. The guns that were turned in were tagged not put into envelops.

Either way, they lied. If the date matched the buyback date, anybody with half a brain should wonder why their guns turned in under amnesty got evidence bags. Anybody reading the actual date should wonder why a gun seized before the buyback was held up conspicuously as evidence (pun intended) of its success.

AaronHorrocks
05-11-2009, 4:22 PM
Every LEO that participates in a "Gun Buyback Program" is doing a major disservice to his citizens, his community, and his country. It borderlines treason to disarm law abiding citizens by lying to them to get them to sell their arms.

triaged
05-11-2009, 5:24 PM
How about the $10,000 Luger. Think they will melt that down too? Guess I should have been there offering more than $100 for the guns.

http://www.dailynews.com/crime/ci_12343624
$10,000 Luger, sawed-off shotgun among trove in L.A. gun buyback
Updated: 05/11/2009 12:13:30 PM PDT

A Luger pistol valued at $10,000, sawed-off shotguns, derringers, rifles and even a grenade launcher were among the 1,696 firearms turned in across the city on Saturday in a gun buyback program aimed at making the streets safer.

While the greater-than-expected take pleased officials, it upset some gun owners who say they were turned away because of high turnout. Owners were given Ralphs and Visa gift vouchers valued at $100 in exchange for their firearms, but many locations ran out.

"When we do this again, we want to make sure we raise more money," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said at a Parker Center news conference, where the weapons were displayed on tables, blankets and anywhere police could pile them.

"Look at this," Villaraigosa said as he pointed at the stock of a rifle. "It has an NRA sticker on it."

But the huge success of the program angered a number of gunowners, including a Chatsworth woman who contacted the Daily News to complain the event was "a joke."

"I went to one location at 10 and they were out of coupons by 10:15," she said, refusing to identify herself or the type of gun she wanted to exchange. "And, there were 20 cars ahead of me and they were all turned away."

The Rev. Jeff Carr, who as the city's gang coordinator developed the gun buy back program, said he was not surprised that some people were upset.

"But, we also had 500 people turn in guns after we ran out of the certificates," Carr said. "We think that people were looking for a
Advertisement
reason to turn in their guns."

The final tally for the program was 40 assault weapons, 276 shotguns, 539 rifles and 841 handguns.

Also, the Sheriffs Department reported that it received another 800 weapons for which no certificates were issued.

The program was developed to coincide with Mothers Day weekend as an effort to get more guns off the street.

Deputy Chief Charlie Beck said officers were checking the serial numbers on the weapons to see if they had been reported stolen and they would be returned to their owners.

"Any ones that are left, we will melt down and offer the material to artists to make something out of," Beck said.

No ballistics tests were conducted on the weapons.

"We did that for two reasons," Beck said. "One, we would be overwhelmed in checking these. And, even if we could, it is more important to have a person linked to a crime than a weapon.

"Secondly, we made a promise to the public that we wouldn't check them. It was a contract with them. It was far more important to get these guns, many of them weapons of war, off the street."

Carr had raised $130,000 for the buyback, the first in city history on this scale. The Sheriff's Department has had similar programs in the past, usually targeted to a specific area.

Partners in the program included Ralph's Markets and television stations KCBS (Channel 2) and KCAL (Channel 9) as well as a number of community based organizations.

Obviously this has nothing to do with crime control.

Greg-Dawg
05-11-2009, 5:34 PM
"Any ones that are left, we will melt down and offer the material to artists to make something out of," Beck said.

No ballistics tests were conducted on the weapons.

"We did that for two reasons," Beck said. "One, we would be overwhelmed in checking these. And, even if we could, it is more important to have a person linked to a crime than a weapon.

"Secondly, we made a promise to the public that we wouldn't check them. It was a contract with them. It was far more important to get these guns, many of them weapons of war, off the street."

You kidding right? That program wasn't really a crime deterrant afterall, just a recycling program.

akspetsnaz
05-11-2009, 6:56 PM
You kidding right? That program wasn't really a crime deterrant afterall, just a recycling program.

It seems more like a campaign material for the mayor's bid for the governor race 2010 :cool2:

jello2594
05-11-2009, 8:20 PM
Oh my god.... look at what the Daily News consider a Thompson Submachine Gun...

Idiots.. (http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12343624)

http://www.insidesocal.com/crime/moreguns.jpg

Palmaris
05-11-2009, 9:43 PM

I think it is not Tommy, it is "thing stick over the shoulder".
Which idiot turn in Luger for $100? His/her name should be wrinten in Guinness book by gold.

cousinkix1953
05-12-2009, 1:56 AM
How about the $10,000 Luger. Think they will melt that down too? Guess I should have been there offering more than $100 for the guns.

http://www.dailynews.com/crime/ci_12343624

Obviously this has nothing to do with crime control.
http://www.adamsguns.com/2316a.jpg
Here is a $10,000.00 Luger. You don't see them very ofteen.
I would be showing it off if somebody was stupid enough to
give it up for damned $100.00 gift card...

JDoe
05-12-2009, 7:29 AM

I wonder if some crackhead's grandparent is missing a Luger from their collection.

highpowermatch
05-12-2009, 8:14 AM
I am sure guys are holding up 7-11 stores all over the county with these.

highpowermatch
05-12-2009, 8:17 AM
Looks like he is trying it on for size, this one might end up in his personal collection!

El Barto
05-12-2009, 9:45 AM
Last time I tried to get rid of my 2 K98's, they ran out of cards early so I figured I show up before they started and wait. I went to a church on Western and was there about 9:00. I pulled in and said I'll wait until you "open" but they said they would take what I had. A quick 2 minutes later, I had a $100 Visa gift card and a $100 Ralph’s card.

Oh, the guns I turned in were a couple of broken/incompletes I got from Century for about $50 each. Both were beyond repair or salvageable for parts. It looked like both were sitting in salty mud for the last 40 years. Cracked stocks, and the bolts, barrels and receivers were all rusted and pitted, some almost 1/16” deep. They were so horrible, that the T53 I got from Omega refused to be seen in the same safe with them.

OCMI_Teddy
05-12-2009, 9:57 AM
Great! So I know where to get rid of my murder weapons...............

BKinzey
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
So sure it's not a Tommy gun but just what the hell is it?

triaged
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Armsel Stryker aka "Street Sweeper".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker

cousinkix1953
05-12-2009, 8:03 PM
Great! So I know where to get rid of my murder weapons...............
And buy back programs "no questions asked" should be illegal for this reason alone. Corrupt anti-gun politicians are helping criminals to destroy evidence. It just got easier to get away with murder.

Not likely that $10.000.00 Luger was used by a criminal either; but you'll never hear if it was returned to it's lawful owner...

foxtrotuniformlima
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Well something good came from this.

I just got a call from a friend. He said that the LASD contacted him saying a gun he reported stolen about 3 years ago was recovered during the recent buy back program.

They said that he could come and get it back once they do the whole DOJ verification routine! How cool is that! It is a Browning Buckmark pistol, 22LR.

jello2594
06-05-2009, 4:11 PM
Looks like two people got lucky - but which one is luckier?

Your friend lost his gun due to robbery. The robber got to use the gun without consequence doing whatever crimes he wanted for 3 years straight... then got an extra $100 from the City of LA, who also promised to never do a ballistics test on the gun to ensure that whatever crimes were done with it in those 3 years will never be solved.

I guess the criminal was a lot luckier that "buy-back" happened.

I just got a call from a friend. He said that the LASD contacted him saying a gun he reported stolen about 3 years ago was recovered during the recent buy back program.

They said that he could come and get it back once they do the whole DOJ verification routine! How cool is that! It is a Browning Buckmark pistol, 22LR.

HowardW56
06-05-2009, 6:25 PM

That is the only good news I have heard coming from the gun buy back program...

They are actually running the numbers and returning (or attempting to) return stolen property to the rightful owner.

RolinThundr
06-06-2009, 2:17 AM

My thoughts exactly.

It's akin to politicians saying they'll "get illegal guns off our streets," which is political speak for "we'll legislate guns right out of law-abiding citizens' hands because we know there is now way to legislate them out of the criminals' hands, and I'm up for re-election."

I agree with what many have said...we should not be paying police officers to stand around and collect weapons that will not be investigated in an effort to bring criminals to justice. If any city wants to do a "buy back" then it should be continuously running and take place at the station. Residents who value money over protection can turn in the guns anytime, and officers remain on patrol doing the real work necessary for our safety.

I understand that most of the guns turned in are junk, and it's better for everyone's safety if they are destroyed. However, anyone feeling so inclined can go to the buy back and check out what people are bringing in (before they get to the cops) and make an offer on those rare jewels that do occasionally turn up.