PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on my first hand gun.

cyrus
05-09-2009, 7:52 PM
I have narrowed the field down to a 9mm for cost reasons and full size because I have huge hands and I can't get a CC to save my life in this county. Top runners are the Glock 34 and the sig 226. I should check to see if I can shoot them at Target masters or some place.

Saigon1965
05-09-2009, 7:55 PM
I am going to recommend the Sig - Much better trigger -

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2009, 8:04 PM
I'd reccomend a .22lr. If you need a centerfire pistol, I'd go with the Sig.

K5Cruiser
05-09-2009, 8:04 PM
Go to your local shooting range that rents guns and try out a few. See which ones you like the best and then start narrowing it down from there. You can also talk to other people at the range and ask them how they like their guns to get more feedback.

aplinker
05-09-2009, 8:19 PM
Shoot them both...

For the money, get the Glock. I'm a HUGE SIG fan, but Glocks are simply great tools.

forynot
05-09-2009, 8:23 PM
Shoot them both...

For the money, get the Glock. I'm a HUGE SIG fan, but Glocks are simply great tools.
+1 for the Glock :iagree:

hi_desert
05-09-2009, 8:24 PM
Same answer always applies, try as many as you can and pick the one that you like best. 9mm is a great caliber to start with, but as far as models go, different strokes for different folks. I have a few Glocks and a few Sigs, two totally different camps. I prefer Glock but that's after swapping out every part of the gun, and costing way more than the Sig. BTW, don't get too hung up on it being the first, it won't be the last.

nikki#2
05-09-2009, 9:03 PM
I don't own a Sig yet, so I can't comment, but when I was shopping for a Glock not long ago, the BEST deal I could find was to join GSSF and take advantage of their Pistol Purchase Program for Members Only. My G34 was $440 through them... The only CA Dealer if I remember correctly is in San Jose. Worth checking into, as the (usually) LE-only dealer had a good selection of Glocks in both OD and Black frames.

You'll love the G34... Great gun!

http://www.gssfonline.com/ Scroll down in the window on the right hand side, or go to Glock Talk and search on GSSF for more info.

Oh, and if you go Glock, I'd also recommend ordering this DVD, Making Glocks Rock (I got mine off ebay cheaper), swap the 5.5lb Connector
for a 4.5lb Connector and do a $ .25 Trigger Job (shown step-by-step in the DVD). BIG IMPROVEMENT! : http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=3

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/glock34-1.jpg

aplinker
05-09-2009, 9:04 PM
Same answer always applies, try as many as you can and pick the one that you like best. 9mm is a great caliber to start with, but as far as models go, different strokes for different folks. I have a few Glocks and a few Sigs, two totally different camps. I prefer Glock but that's after swapping out every part of the gun, and costing way more than the Sig. BTW, don't get too hung up on it being the first, it won't be the last.

+1 to that. It really won't matter much which comes 1st.

FastFinger
05-14-2009, 8:49 PM
nikki#2 - Did you take that photo? Very sharp.

Greg-Dawg
05-14-2009, 9:50 PM
Get a Deagle.

zcrehan
05-14-2009, 9:57 PM
Looking at a Glock and a Sig p226?

Why not also look at the best of both worlds the Sig Pro! (http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-sigpro-2022-9mm-da-sa-night-sights.html)

bigcalidave
05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Get a Deagle.

+1 ftw

Gio
05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I say Glock I love my 17 :)

-Gio

markw
05-14-2009, 11:21 PM
What all have you test driven? I did the same thing and ended up with a CZ for not much more than a glock. I'm 6'2" and have big hands also.

bsg
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
i would go with an older w german sig.

hybridatsun350
05-14-2009, 11:47 PM
For a first handgun, I'd recommend a Glock 17, 19, or 34. They are extremely simple, and they just work. They're also very easy to detail strip and fix/upgrade yourself if needed. Plus, the 9mm models are cheaper to feed!

Sig's are awesome guns, but I would definitely go with a Glock for a first handgun. You can get a Sig (or two) later.

JohnJW
05-15-2009, 1:01 AM
They're both pretty good guns and you can't go wrong with either. Shooting from the bench they probably don't differ that much, but if you're thinking of using either for self-defense at home you will need some method of carrying the firearms instead always having it in your hands because chances are you will have more false alarm than actual encounters. In these situation, for a first handgun, a Sig 226 maybe a better choice than a Glock. If needed, a SA/DA handgun with an exposed hammer will be a safer choice when you have to tuck it into your waistband, put in your pocket, or holstering it in the dark. Riding the hammer when you holster your gun will give some tactile feedback in case something snags the trigger and your eyes should always be looking at anywhere but your gun holster.

. . . but plenty of people have Glocks and are living counter proofs so . . it really up to you:)

BunnySlayer
05-15-2009, 1:14 AM
The arguement for a .22 is a good one. Cheap, easy on the hands and great practice. Having said that if it's for personal or home defense get whatever fits your hand and you like. Don't worry about a bunch of old gun coots like us who sit around and argue about 9 vs 45 vs 40 vs 357 vs 38 vs.....well you get the idea. In the end if it fits your hand and you shoot it well only the coroner will know the difference if it comes down to it. Hopefully it won't. Whatever gun you get spend twice what you paid for the gun (at least) on a good training school such as Gunsite, Firearms Training Associates, Thunder Ranch etc etc. Training is more inportant than which brand your shooting.

bluestaterebel
05-15-2009, 1:14 AM
Glock34

loosewreck
05-15-2009, 2:05 AM
I have narrowed the field down to a 9mm for cost reasons and full size because I have huge hands and I can't get a CC to save my life in this county. Top runners are the Glock 34 and the sig 226. I should check to see if I can shoot them at Target masters or some place.

Both great guns.

Which ever one you shoot better or which ever one you get a better deal on.

Don't sweat it too much, eventually you'll have them both and many others. :eek:

B Strong
05-15-2009, 6:11 AM

Get a Glock with a .22 caliber conversion kit.

SIG's are great pistols, but you can't beat a Glock for versatility.

You could go with a G35, get a 9mm conversion barrel and a .22 kit and have three pistols in one.

SCMA-1
05-15-2009, 7:13 AM
Tryout a Springfield Armory XD9/XD9 Tactical; you may like it better than a Glock 17/34.:thumbsup:

SCMA-1

Erik S. Klein
05-15-2009, 7:24 AM

There is no better firearm than the Sig 226!

I'm personally not a fan of striker-fired weapons anyway; give me a hammer and an SA trigger pull any day. :P

But do try them both. They hold differently and one may work better in your hands. . .

The 226 was my first. ;)

taloft
05-15-2009, 7:53 AM
Each one definitely has a different feel in the hand. I'd find out which one works for you. The only thing that matters is if you can hit your target with it and a lot of that will be a matter of hand fit.

Sigs are very precise. Mine is much more accurate than I am. This is an excellent HD gun.

I've seen a big dualie truck run over a Glock and there was no mark on the gun. The hard case was wasted but, the firearm didn't have a scratch. You'd really have to go out of your way to kill a Glock. If you want to shoot in matches, the Glock is an excellent choice.

Either selection is a good one so, I'd base it on intended use and fit.

Lancear15
05-15-2009, 8:02 AM
You really can't go wrong with Glock, Sig, CZ or H&K.

But my personal favorite is the HK.

JTROKS
05-15-2009, 8:31 AM
Get the Glock because it's cheaper then save up for the Sig. Then save some more and get a CZ. Don't stop there, keep saving and buy another one then another.... You get the pitcher.

punisheryayarea
05-15-2009, 8:44 AM
Get a glock my first gun was a Glock 30sf and I was not disappointed at all.....
The easiest to field strip and let just say dummy proof!:thumbsup:

dirtykoala
05-15-2009, 3:29 PM
go with glock, then attach a bayonet to it.

scr83jp
05-15-2009, 3:56 PM
I'd reccomend a .22lr. If you need a centerfire pistol, I'd go with the Sig.

check out www.lipseys.com for their exclusive ruger specials such as a ss single six 4 5/8" barrel with 22 /22mag cylinders,i got one of those limlited editions several years ago.

hellraiser
05-15-2009, 4:41 PM
cant go wrong with a glock....

rideanddive
05-15-2009, 5:08 PM
I've owned 2 Glocks, a pre-ban Glock 17 and a Glock 26. Though I have a huge amount of respect for Glocks, I wasn't ever able to feel comfortable with the ergos. I recently traded my G26 for a Springfield Armory XD9. For me the XD9 has the better feel and pointability and I prefer its trigger pull to the Glock. Just one man's opinion.

Black Majik
05-15-2009, 5:10 PM
I own both. I shoot the G34 better but I like the SIG more. Does that make sense? :)

How about a P2000 v3?

hkusp9c
05-15-2009, 5:13 PM
+1 for sig :D

Gator Monroe
05-15-2009, 5:30 PM
Get 2, a 50's Ruger Mk 1 and Early Gen 1 Glock 17 !:thumbsup:

bobnfloyd
05-15-2009, 5:45 PM
I would recommend the Sig. If you get it in 40, you can get a conversion barrel (Bar-Sto) to have a 9mm version as well. Sigs also sell a .22 conversion slide, barrel, and magazine. You'll get a lot of versatility from the Sig. I probably have to agree that the glock is more reliable, however, the Sig is very easy to clean, simple to maintain, reliable, accurate and has a great double and single action trigger. The Decocker and Explosed hammer provide more information than the striker fired Glock.

Of course, I second the information given in this forum so far. If you can, go rent the 2 and see which one feels the best in your hand and you feel comfortable to shoot with. Eventually you'll also get a .22 (Ruger Mark 2 or 3, or my personal preference, a Browning Buckmark) since that seems to be one of your critieria. Just FYI, if you get the Sig, visit Sigforum.com, for your questions. Sig like very wet rails, so make sure to put a good amount of oil on where the rails and frames meet. Good luck.

sd_shooter
05-15-2009, 9:56 PM
How about the CZ 75B?

- DA/SA
- Safety
- Steel frame
- Same price as Glock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75

http://www.pishtov.com/CZ/Pic-cz75b_p-m.jpg