PDA

View Full Version : Startled burglar pleads for his life

Peragro
05-09-2009, 4:39 PM
Eric Stucky said he had every intention of shooting the man he caught breaking into his home Friday morning in the 2000 block of S.W. West Trail Road.

Lucky for the burglar, he didn’t try to escape or make a threatening move while being held at gunpoint.

Pointing his .357-caliber Desert Eagle at the man in his home office, Stucky said he called 911 and explained the situation...

more at the link

http://www.cjonline.com/news/local/2009-05-09/startled_burglar_pleads_for_his_life

Whiskey84
05-09-2009, 4:55 PM
Hahaha. Score one for the good guys.

PutTogether
05-09-2009, 5:06 PM
I don't like the comment from the police toward the end where they worry about more people taking things into their own hands.

gcvt
05-09-2009, 5:07 PM
"It ended well today, but the likelihood of things ending badly when a weapon is involved is probably high," [Sgt.] Vest said.

Can't just say "It ended well"? :rolleyes: :no:

Sam1
05-09-2009, 5:39 PM
cops think gun owners are taking their jobs lol

CitaDeL
05-09-2009, 5:52 PM
"It ended well today, but the likelihood of things ending badly when a weapon is involved is probably high," [Sgt.] Vest said.

Okay Sgt Vest, would you care to share with us how many calls you have been on that involved a firearm? What's that? All of them involved a firearm? Yes, that's right, every call you have been on involved a firearm since you are required to carry by your departments policy. Now how many times in your experience has it ended badly for you? Since you are making comments on how likely things will end badly when a weapon is involved, it must not be as bad as you portray- (As you would clearly be dead, incarcerated, or disabled if what you were saying were true.)

I will say that not all experiences are equal, but police spokespeople have got to stop telling people not to defend themselves, stop telling people to cooperate with criminals, and stop dismissing lawful armed self defense as some sort of anomoly that defies their expectations.

What a tw@t!

Roadrunner
05-09-2009, 5:54 PM
I don't like the comment from the police toward the end where they worry about more people taking things into their own hands.

I'm with you on that. What are we supposed to do, cower in the corner until our heroes arrive?

M. Sage
05-09-2009, 6:50 PM
“I did the wrong thing,” Stucky said. “I admit that. I told the police the same thing.”

Obviously... You let one get away!

And use a long gun next time. Handguns are for backing your main weapon up!

I can imagine that conversation:

"Please don't shoot me, don't shoot me!"

"Don't move, and I won't shoot!"

"I don't wanna die, don't shoot me!"

"... then how much money you got?"

"What!?"

Roadrunner
05-09-2009, 6:54 PM
Obviously... You let one get away!

And use a long gun next time. Handguns are for backing your main weapon up!

I can imagine that conversation:

"Please don't shoot me, don't shoot me!"

"Don't move, and I won't shoot!"

"I don't wanna die, don't shoot me!"

"... then how much money you got?"

"What!?"

That would be justice.

RobG
05-09-2009, 6:57 PM
:thumbsup: for the good guys!

“It ended well today, but the likelihood of things ending badly when a weapon is involved is probably high,” Vest said.

Yea, for the bad guy.

Legasat
05-09-2009, 7:54 PM
The Police can't be everywhere all the time. I am glad this guy took it upon himself to defend his home. I am equally glad he was smart enough not to shoot unless he had to.

unusedusername
05-09-2009, 10:13 PM
That would be justice.

That would be AWESOME! :thumbsup:

*Disclaimer: Never actually do this.

avdrummerboy
05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll probably get railed for this, but why call the police at all?

Me, I would simple tell them to stop or i'll shoot, turn around get the F*** out of my house, and if you do anything stupid and threatening you will be shot.

I am a firm believer in not reporting crimes that don't happen.

M. Sage
05-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Nah, hold him and have the cops throw the book at him.

Notice the gang affiliation they mentioned in the article? Even without a gang affiliation, you don't want him coming back later.

Nachoman
05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I actually agree with the homeowner when he stated it wasn't the smartest thing to do. Two robbers enter the house and you don't really know if they are armed, could easily end up outgunned (not to mention he went to take a shower... wtf). Ultimately self preservation is the key, while it's not as glamorous as catching them, it probably would have been smarter to call the cops after the initial window break.

Tillers_Rule
05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Maybe the cop just read the story of the off duty shooting at the lady with the cell phone?

Anyway, yea, it's pretty lame when cops say stuff like that. He could have left it at, the home owner did the right thing, good job!

Nuuze
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Hopefully the burglar wasn't standing on the mans carpet soiling it! :rofl2:

BroncoBob
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Oh I'm sure the BG's shorts had soil stains :smilielol5:

RobG
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Oh I'm sure the BG's shorts had soil stains :smilielol5:

I imagine staring down the wrong end of a DE has that effect:p

Warhawk014
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
job well done.

Sinixstar
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Me, I would simple tell them to stop or i'll shoot, turn around get the F*** out of my house, and if you do anything stupid and threatening you will be shot.

Because now you just let a clearly dangerous criminal back out on to the streets, and taught him a valuable lesson on how to be a better criminal.

congrats.

glockwise2000
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Kudos to Eric Stucky and F*** to Sheriff’s Sgt. Justin Vest. What the hell was the Sheriff thinking. If he could be there like Superman in the scene of the crime as fast as a bullet, then I would voluntarily relinquish my RKBA. But, until that doesn't happen, I will be keeping my guns and will never hesitate to use if the event happens.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Justin Vest, aren't you glad someone is doing your job while you are chugging your doughnuts?

N6ATF
05-10-2009, 12:39 AM
police spokespeople have got to stop telling people not to defend themselves, stop telling people to cooperating with criminals, and stop dismissing lawful armed self defense as some sort of anomoly that defies their expectations.

Summarized.

CnCFunFactory
05-10-2009, 2:07 AM

+1 on that.

Texas Boy
05-10-2009, 2:30 AM
Reminds me of a story I heard about scenario training. Scenario was:

"Wife's car is in driveway with door open. Front door to house is open, lights are out. You pull up in front of house and have a weapon."

Guy said he entered the house, started his sweep and spotted a "perp" with a big knife. Instinctively he yelled "drop it". The "perp" did. At that point he realized he had blown the scenario - he had no way to keep this guy detained while he searched for the 2nd perp and rescued the likely hostage. He said the take away was shoot the intruder on sight and keep searching for the 2nd threat.

In the OP's story it appears no one else was home or expected - and the intruders were unarmed. However, what if the 2nd intruder was armed and burst in while he was detaining the 1st? What if his wife/child/mother/etc had unexpectedly come home and been attacked by the 2nd intruder? What do you do now? You can't shoot the guy who has surrendered and if you turn your back on him to assist your family he might join the fight instead of flee.

I don't think any reasonable person really wants to kill another human, but we should all seriously think out the consequences of yelling "freeze" instead of just shooting. I've thought it out and I know what I "think" I'd do if someone had forcibly entered my house. I hope I never have to find out what I would really do....

Seesm
05-10-2009, 3:26 AM
Yey good guys!!

bigcalidave
05-10-2009, 3:36 AM
Why is the guy posing like a moron with his deagle? BG is gonna be in jail for a few weeks / months. Maybe pissed at getting caught and a story in the paper about crying. That's a #1 reason for shoot first ask questions later, it's almost impossible to defend yourself against an intruder that is armed, knows you are armed, wants to kill you, and has the element of surprise. Homeowner should be paying close attention to when that guy gets released.

otteray
05-10-2009, 8:08 AM

Hey, that must be the hip, new way to show that you are "cool", by not being a snitch.
And what if this guy had just beaten, robbed and raped a neighbor before hitting your crib?
You just set him free to strike again. :mad:

soundwave
05-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm with you on that. What are we supposed to do, cower in the corner until our heroes arrive?

That is exactly what they recommended. Didn't you watch 20/20 "If I Had a Gun" special??? In summary, we are incompetent and can't defend ourselves effectively with a firearm. If we try, we will just end up hurting another innocent person. Run and hide and wait for death....I mean help.

That's the general message from the media and many law enforcement officers. It is insane that some people buy into this.

Stucky should be on the next 20/20 special as a shining example of a responsible vigilant citizen. Don't hold your breath for that though.

Peragro
05-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Sheriff’s Sgt. Justin Vest, aren't you glad someone is doing your job while you are chugging your doughnuts?

I'm a big believer in Robert Peel's take on the police:

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that
the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid
to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare
and existence.

This is why it's annoying to me to hear a police officer speak of "civilians" since that is what they are rather than a military force.

tonelar
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Sgt Vest sounds like he's gunning for a nice political career move to CLEO and beyond.
The majority of LEOs on the street are pro 2A rights.

Jedi
05-10-2009, 1:16 PM
Lets see, someone breaks his window, so he decides he will lay in wait for the guy to return so he can catch him. If he had shot the guy, it is likely that he would be up on murder charges.

avdrummerboy
05-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Because now you just let a clearly dangerous criminal back out on to the streets, and taught him a valuable lesson on how to be a better criminal.

congrats.

Not really, unless you kill them in the altercation, all that happens (unless somehow it is their third strike) is that they go to jail for a little while and then are back out anyway. If they are a vengeful person they might be back, in which case you take care of what you didn't do the first time. If they are smart they stay away from your home and surrounding areas. For me it's that they will most likely be back out on the streets anyway so why waste LEO time and taxpayer dollars for it?

st.clouds
05-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Had he reported the incident to the police, they may come too early or too late, in which case the perps would have stayed or gotten away. He clearly took the riskier gamble and it clearly paid off.

Vest should have kept his mouth shut.

7222 Hawker
05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
cops think gun owners are taking their jobs lol

No way, I'm a cop and I wish more people would take care of business. Saves the tax payers money and saves me the paperwork!

low94noma
05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow, it is funny how some, not all, law enforcement officers expect us to retreat and hide form the threat. What that means is you run and hide and wait to be killed. Most gun owners I know are proficient with their use of firearms and know da** well how to use them in a threat situation. My home is mine and my families domain. Any threat in my home, Ill take a tactical position in my hallway and then "THINGS GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT". I am sure glad my house is set up the way it is, tactical position right outside my bedroom door that has a clear line of site with no sleeping quarters in the way. I will call 911, yes, but I am ready if sh** ever hit the fan. My home is not one a criminal wants to break into. I think that goes for a lot of Calgunner's here too.

Worried about us taking things into our own hands, that is too funny.

low94noma
05-11-2009, 12:16 AM
No way, I'm a cop and I wish more people would take care of business. Saves the tax payers money and saves me the paperwork!
I like your thinking. I do know most LEO's are aware that anything can happen between the time they are dispatched, to the time they arrive on scene. I am sure that they feel better knowing that family was able to protect themselves during the response time.

You can't blame every officer because the choice of words the one officer said. I think California babies criminals too much here. I hope to see an overturn of a right-to-carry, and some firearm restriction laws. I will be open carrying regardless in around the middle of July just as an exercise of my 2nd amendment right and a message to the criminals that things will change in California soon. I would rather conceal carry though. Got to work with what you have.

Sinixstar
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Not really, unless you kill them in the altercation, all that happens (unless somehow it is their third strike) is that they go to jail for a little while and then are back out anyway. If they are a vengeful person they might be back, in which case you take care of what you didn't do the first time. If they are smart they stay away from your home and surrounding areas. For me it's that they will most likely be back out on the streets anyway so why waste LEO time and taxpayer dollars for it?

So you're saying a criminal on the street is better then a criminal in Jail? How's that logic work?

Nevermind that if he's breaking into your house - chances are he's broken into others as well. Who knows how potential confrontations in those situations ended. You have no way of knowing if this person is just a petty burglar or he's got dead bodies, rapes, assaults, etc on his hands as well.

rugit
05-11-2009, 12:35 AM
i like how the other guy had to break out of the house.

05-11-2009, 1:15 AM
Eric Stucky said he had every intention of shooting the man he caught breaking into his home Friday morning in the 2000 block of S.W. West Trail Road.

Lucky for the burglar, he didn’t try to escape or make a threatening move while being held at gunpoint.

Pointing his .357-caliber Desert Eagle at the man in his home office, Stucky said he called 911 and explained the situation...

more at the link

http://www.cjonline.com/news/local/2009-05-09/startled_burglar_pleads_for_his_life

No puppies were hurt / kids didn't cry /liberals feelings were still intact.
And the streets did not run red with the blood of innocents.

Steverino
05-11-2009, 1:39 AM
i like how the other guy had to break out of the house.

:thumbsup:

avdrummerboy
05-11-2009, 8:29 AM
So you're saying a criminal on the street is better then a criminal in Jail? How's that logic work?

Nevermind that if he's breaking into your house - chances are he's broken into others as well. Who knows how potential confrontations in those situations ended. You have no way of knowing if this person is just a petty burglar or he's got dead bodies, rapes, assaults, etc on his hands as well.

You're right I don't know what they've got under their belt, which is why they probably wouldn't get out alive anyway. All I was getting at is that by tying up LEO time for a few hours and wasting tax dollars you do get to put him in jail, and unless these hypothetical crimes are indeed under his belt he most likely will not be in jail for long. And we all know how well incarceration changes criminals minds, IT DOESN'T! In other words, they will be back out anyway; so what does having them locked up for a short time do, its like waiting periods on firearms, it essentially does nothing.

Untamed1972
05-11-2009, 8:49 AM
"Sheriff’s Sgt. Justin Vest said the department is seeing more people take matters into their own hands as the number of gun owners and people with concealed-carry permits rises."

But even when he did call and told them he had someone at gunpoint and might shoot them......it still took them 4 minutes to get there.

What would COPs like a law-abiding citizen and crime victim to do in those 4 minutes (or maybe more sometimes) while they wait for the "cavalry" to come to the rescue?

If more criminals start facing immediate consequences for their actions they might start rethinking some othere criminal activities. And the ones that don't will end up dead and we wont hafta worry about them preying on innocent people anymore.

MrClamperSir
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I guess what I didn't understand is why it takes twenty minutes after the glass shatters to figure out you are being robbed. Who leaves their firearm out on an open night stand while your working in the basement, put it away or take it with you. And the shower thing was weird!? The picture that this guy took posing with his DE, WOW! The whole thing seemed strange to me.

GTXR390
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Okay Sgt Vest, would you care to share with us how many calls you have been on that involved a firearm? What's that? All of them involved a firearm? Yes, that's right, every call you have been on involved a firearm since you are required to carry by your departments policy. Now how many times in your experience has it ended badly for you? Since you are making comments on how likely things will end badly when a weapon is involved, it must not be as bad as you portray- (As you would clearly be dead, incarcerated, or disabled if what you were saying were true.)

I will say that not all experiences are equal, but police spokespeople have got to stop telling people not to defend themselves, stop telling people to cooperate with criminals, and stop dismissing lawful armed self defense as some sort of anomoly that defies their expectations.

What a tw@t!

right on!

AntiBubba 2.1
05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Once sheriff’s deputies arrived, they arrested Ex’Zabra Smith, 20,

If his mother had named him James or Henry, I'd bet he'd have been in college instead.

While Kansas law permits people to make a citizen’s arrest in the commission of a felony, Stucky said the choice to stay in the house and handle the situation on his own probably wasn’t the safest choice.

“I did the wrong thing,” Stucky said. “I admit that. I told the police the same thing.”

Sheriff’s Sgt. Justin Vest said the department is seeing more people take matters into their own hands as the number of gun owners and people with concealed-carry permits rises.

“It ended well today, but the likelihood of things ending badly when a weapon is involved is probably high,” Vest said.

How many of you actually read the story? While in general I get angry when cops say that, in this case it could have ended very badly. First:

A builder and woodworker by profession, Stucky said he was on the phone in the basement about 9:30 a.m. when he heard the window to his back porch shatter. He said it took him about 20 minutes to figure out what happened.

“I’m being robbed,” he finally surmised.

It wasn't a matter of not having time to call 911, or of not having a phone. Second:

Playing the role of detective, Stucky said he speculated the burglar left but would return after it appeared safe enough to enter. Playing the scenario in his mind, Stucky said he took his handgun from his nightstand and envisioned catching a burglar red-handed.

No, playing the role of ninja commando. He is preparing to wait for the burglar to return. He still has not called the police. :shuriken: Third:

“This was kind of stupid,” he said, “but I took a shower. I left the music on, got out of the shower and dried myself off.” Then he waited.

"Kind of", in the way that Mt. Everest is kind of tall, Antarctica is kind of cold, and the Pope is kind of Catholic. I thought I was going to have to drive myself to the ER when I read that, my jaw hit so hard. Fourth:

About 10:30 a.m., Stucky said he peeked around the corner from his bedroom to see a large man climbing through the broken window. Returning to the bedroom, he said he heard a second person enter. He said one went to the second floor of his home and the other went into his office. Crouched on his knees, Stucky said the unarmed burglar in his office turned around to discover he was being watched.

As Stucky described it: “Then he started screaming like a little scared girl, 'Please don’t shoot me, please don’t shoot.’ ”

If that burglar had had any idea how dumb this homeowner was he'd have passed right out.

If he'd pulled the trigger that homeowner would be in jail right now, and his lawyer would be outlining just how expensive his idiocy would be, even after they got the charges down to probation, and the loss of rights that come with being a felon. That is, IF they could get the charges reduced; the DA may be contemplating a run for state office.

Get this through your heads: THIS TYPE OF GUN OWNER IS NOT OUR FRIEND. HE IS AN IDIOT, AND WE DO NOT WANT HIS KIND REPRESENTING US.

Geez.