PDA

View Full Version : Long gun regulations??????

ap3572001
05-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a question. Ok, As a full time peace officer in CA. You carry a sidearm on duty and off duty ( by choice) . My question is: Can a CA LEO carry a long gun ( I am talking about AR's and AK's) in the way that is not legal for the rest of the public. For example: have a loaded REM 870 in the trunk or in the back seat?

Jonathan Doe
05-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes. I have carried my AR-15 in my trunk. The only reason I didn't get involved in the North Hollywood shooting as I was driving by was I didn't have a radio, and I didn't have my uniform items with me at the time. I didn't want to be mistaken for a suspect.

tyrist
05-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a question. Ok, As a full time peace officer in CA. You carry a sidearm on duty and off duty ( by choice) . My question is: Can a CA LEO carry a long gun ( I am talking about AR's and AK's) in the way that is not legal for the rest of the public. For example: have a loaded REM 870 in the trunk or in the back seat?

yes..if you look at 12031(b)(1) and 12031(b)(2) PC it exempts LEO/retired LEO from 12031(a).

ap3572001
05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks!!! So , If my agency has a list oh handguns that they alow on and off duty, should they also have a list of rifles and shotguns? They will NOT let me pack a 1911 on or off. But I can carry my Browning BLR (.308) loaded in the trunk?

tyrist
05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks!!! So , If my agency has a list oh handguns that they alow on and off duty, should they also have a list of rifles and shotguns? They will NOT let me pack a 1911 on or off. But I can carry my Browning BLR (.308) loaded in the trunk?

How much time do you have on? You should know that while you are exempt legally your department can still take administrative action against you. You can carry pretty much whatever loaded firearm you want but if you end up in a shooting it might be administratively disapproved even though legally justified.

sgtbuck
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
My Department made us qualify with our off duty weapon, They would also keep a record of the make model and ser number. Now that I am retired I still have to go in once a year to qualify.

ap3572001
05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=tyrist;2451484]How much time do you have on? You should know that while you are exempt legally your department can still take administrative action against you. You can carry pretty much whatever loaded firearm you want but if you end up in a shooting it might be administratively disapproved even though legally justified.[/QUOTE Ok. So , LEGALLY in CA I can carry whatever firearm I want . But my agency may not approve it?

tyrist
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Ok. So , LEGALLY in CA I can carry whatever firearm I want . But my agency may not approve it?

You won't do a day in jail but it might cost you money and employment.

BigDogatPlay
05-09-2009, 2:28 PM

+1.

Many agencies I am familiar with locally to me don't let officers use a rifle in the car until they have been to a recognized patrol rifle course, and to qualify with the rifle(s) they issue or that an officer might individually own. Clear and consistent standards for rifles are still, in some cases, being developed.

Your agency policy manual and / or general orders book will tell you what you can and can not do. Assuming your agency wants you to qualify with a rifle and doesn't specifically disallow you from carrying a personally owned one with you off duty, then I would guess you could do it.

If your agency policy is that you may only arm yourself with department issue weapons while acting as a peace officer, then you probably couldn't.

Getting into a scrape off duty and being out of policy when you do it, is an E ticket ride to disciplinary action.

tyrist
05-09-2009, 5:09 PM
My agency as well as most I am aware of don't want you to leave a dept/personally owned long arm in a vehicle unattended because of the possibility of theft. I had to sign a contract stating I wouldn't leave my personal long arm which I carry on duty unattended in my personal vehicle. I can only store it in a black and white...my locker at work...kit room...or in a locked gun safe at home when not in my presence.

I have no intention of running to the market with it and having to carry it in with me. I would prefer not to be shot.

dro57
05-09-2009, 9:35 PM

+1

Every department has the discretion to develop policy more restrictive than what the law allows. It's not worth violating it at the cost of your employment or days on the beach.

bluestaterebel
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
But I can carry my Browning BLR (.308) loaded in the trunk?

do you carry your rifle or shotgun loaded at work? The LAPD doesnt allow that. you have to rack a round in the shotgun when you pull it out. You have to put a magazine and chamber a round in your rifle.