PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for ammunition shortages?

DMCA
05-09-2009, 8:00 AM
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/nationwide-ammunition-shortage-hits-us/

Apologies if this link has been posted before. I thought it interesting that it suggests military demand is not the principle reason for the present shortages, given that the largest military supplier was not running anywhee near capacity.

It points out that a "militarization" of police departments along with the present political climate are more responsible.

Given that police are becoming much more heavily armed in the US, the notion that law abiding citizens should be disarmed is really perverse.

THT
05-09-2009, 8:26 AM
The more firepower the police have, the less we need to protect ourselves

TonyM
05-09-2009, 8:41 AM

I don't see a smiley, but I hope you're joking.

DMCA
05-09-2009, 8:46 AM

Yes, it's astonishing. The government deems their protection level be higher than the average citizen's.

Like Feinstein with her CCW. She values her life more than she is willing to let you value yours.

DMCA
05-09-2009, 8:49 AM
I don't see a smiley, but I hope you're joking.

Can't speak for THT, but would presume it is a wry comment.

I thought I was reasonably up to date and informed on this kind of stuff and was aware of the increasing numbers of AR 15's and M4's in police cruisers, but the scale would appear quite remarkable. I also thought that debunking the military as a reason for the shortage was informative.

THT
05-09-2009, 9:00 AM
Oh yes, I am indeed joking. I live in a state where I am denied my right to self-protection so the issue hits home with me very, very, poignantly.

maxicon
05-09-2009, 9:06 AM
I think it's hoarding, personally. People are on a buying frenzy, including all these people buying guns for the first time.

The shortage includes many brands and calibers that the police and military don't use. You can't even buy cheap .22 ammo readily.

The good news is that it'll end eventually, supply will go back to normal after overshooting (which will make for some great sales), and some of the hoarders will be selling off their stash as they realize they're just not shooting that much.

JTROKS
05-09-2009, 9:09 AM
Prices sure aren't providing us hope that there will be an end to this. There will be an end to this and we'll all have a laugh on how much we have put away for a rainy day, maybe even find out that someone you know has a house full of ammo, powder, primers, brass and boolits.

Mac Bolan
05-09-2009, 9:18 AM
Keep watching the news for a house fire, when the house burns like an oil refinery and big bangs a good bet thats a horder! I might start a tread, "How to tell a hoarder" kinded like "Heres your sign" type thing........... Mac

THT
05-09-2009, 9:20 AM
Part of the problem is people who buy with the intent to resell. I met a guy who, everyday, drives 100 miles of I80 and stops at every Walmart. He then buys every box of ammo they have and sells them on gunbroker. He does this every day.

valleyguy
05-09-2009, 9:28 AM
All of that still doesn't explain why there is a shortage of .22lr.... it's not a LEO or military caliber.

DMCA
05-09-2009, 9:46 AM
All of that still doesn't explain why there is a shortage of .22lr.... it's not a LEO or military caliber.

It's probably a function of ammo demand and manufacturing profitability for the ammo company.

If you take, let's say, 1 lb of brass, 1 lb lead, 1 lb copper, 1 lb powder coming in, what is the net profit for 1 lb .22lr, 1 lb 9mm, 1 lb .40 and 1 lb .45 going out?

I suspect .22lr has always been relatively cheap because ammo companies could use excess materials and manufacturing capacity to churn it out in bulk. People have bought 100 rds of .22lr long before they started buying 100 rds of the bigger calibers.

I suspect that as long as this goes on, the shortage and pricing for .22lr will become even more acute.