PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 shooting low-scope or rifle issue?

Quemtimebo
05-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Just got back from the range with my 10 22! It shoots well, in pretty tight groups out of the box, but it hits low. Like 4" low. I have a Nikon Prostaff scope and any adjustments I try to make just don't work. By the end of the evening I wasn't even hitting the paper anymore and just gave up on it. Clearly my attempt to sight in my scope failed miserably. At this point should I take the whole thing to a gunsmith?

BSlacker
05-09-2009, 5:50 AM
Here is something you might try to center the scope and start over.
Find a cardboard box that the scope will fit across with the box walls in about the same position as the rings. Cut V notches in the opposite walls and set the scope in the notch. Now look through the scope at a surface 20 yards away. Make a note of the reticle position on the target. You may even go downrange and mark it. Rotate the scope 180 and mark the spot the reticule is on the target and adjust the scope until the reticle is half way between the marks. You will get to see how the adjustments work and see how well they work doing this so experiment a little and see how the adjustment moves the reticle. Keep going in a circle and adjusting the scope to get the least movement of the reticule against the target. Put it back on the rifle and start over. Start sighting at 15 yards and get it on target and just walk it out to the desired distance 5 yards at a time if need be.
Counting the clicks and centering almost never works to find center. :)

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2009, 6:48 AM
If you are shooting good groups, both your scope and your rifle are working properly. The only problem is user error regarding your ability to zero your scope. If you are close enough to me, I can help you zero your scope with ONE shot at your distance of choice. I'll be at Angeles this morning so, if you are close enough, come on down and find me. I'll be shooting (I hope) my new homebuilt AK, as well as, a few other AK type longguns.

wellfedirishman
05-09-2009, 7:10 AM
Get a laser boresighter for $25 or so. They are invaluable for 22s, since you can re-sight in at any time.

I have one like this, and use it with all my 22s:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203458987&listingid=29751660&dcaid=17902

Put in the boresighter, turn it on, and center the scope hairs slightly above the dot from 10 yards or so. Easy.

Quemtimebo
05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm 100 percent certain it's user error, too. I really appreciate the tips: I'll call around and see if anybody's got a boresighter and I will *definitely* head up to Angeles today.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2009, 6:38 PM
I left there about 2pm. I did help a few people zero their scopes today but, I don't think you were one of them. PM me and we can set up a date and time to do it.

Arteel
05-09-2009, 6:55 PM
Boresighters are only good to get you on paper. I don't think that's a big problem for the OP since he already got his shots on paper.

Get a laser boresighter for $25 or so. They are invaluable for 22s, since you can re-sight in at any time.

I have one like this, and use it with all my 22s:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203458987&listingid=29751660&dcaid=17902

Put in the boresighter, turn it on, and center the scope hairs slightly above the dot from 10 yards or so. Easy.

Quemtimebo
05-09-2009, 9:23 PM
I left there about 2pm. I did help a few people zero their scopes today but, I don't think you were one of them. PM me and we can set up a date and time to do it.

CSA, sorry I missed you! That's about when I left, too. I was over on the pistol side at the black benches. I'm going out of town this week to watch a family member's property while she's away. But I'll be back in a week. Thanks for your offer of help, and I'll be in touch.

what2be
05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Boresighters are only good to get you on paper. I don't think that's a big problem for the OP since he already got his shots on paper.

Not necessarily. Normally, I always use a bore sighter and then shoot paper and adjust as necessary. IF I would have used a bore sighter, I would have seen the problem I ran into when I got to the range I was shooting at.

I just put a new scope on a new .22 rifle and used a spacer plate so I could move the scope forward. Unfortunately, I didnt notice that when I slid the spacer plate forward on the dovetail on the gun, the end of the spacer plate moved past the end of the dove tail on the gun and got slightly raised on the groove at the base of the barrel.

When I went to shoot, I was shooting 2 feet low, so I tried to adjust it with the elevation turret. I had the turret maxed out and was still shootint 6" low. I took the spacer off, reset the elevation turrett and was back on paper.
IF i had used the bore sighter, I would have seen it been 2 feet off and would have fixed the problem before I wasted a hour and a half at the range trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Per the OP question, he needs to make sure he has the correct scope mount rings for the gun hes mounting it on, and then make sure he has put enough clicks in the scope (most are 1/4 inch per click) but check with the scope mfg. Some people will put 4 clicks or 8 clicks and think it hasnt changed anything, when really they should have put in 12 clicks or so..

Quemtimebo
05-11-2009, 2:04 PM
Not necessarily. Normally, I always use a bore sighter and then shoot paper and adjust as necessary. IF I would have used a bore sighter, I would have seen the problem I ran into when I got to the range I was shooting at.

I just put a new scope on a new .22 rifle and used a spacer plate so I could move the scope forward. Unfortunately, I didnt notice that when I slid the spacer plate forward on the dovetail on the gun, the end of the spacer plate moved past the end of the dove tail on the gun and got slightly raised on the groove at the base of the barrel.

When I went to shoot, I was shooting 2 feet low, so I tried to adjust it with the elevation turret. I had the turret maxed out and was still shootint 6" low. I took the spacer off, reset the elevation turrett and was back on paper.
IF i had used the bore sighter, I would have seen it been 2 feet off and would have fixed the problem before I wasted a hour and a half at the range trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Per the OP question, he needs to make sure he has the correct scope mount rings for the gun hes mounting it on, and then make sure he has put enough clicks in the scope (most are 1/4 inch per click) but check with the scope mfg. Some people will put 4 clicks or 8 clicks and think it hasnt changed anything, when really they should have put in 12 clicks or so..

I'm using the Weigand Integramount designed to fit the 10/22 receiver.