PDA

View Full Version : Glock Talk: Which one and does it convert...

TheCilician
05-08-2009, 9:13 PM
Yo,

I'm a 1911, CZ75 kinda guy....but i'm starting to see why everyone loves the Glock....it's a great pistol...

so here's what I want, suggestions greatly appreciated!

I've been reading that .40 is a good cal. for the Glock, but what do you guys think of 9mm?

Also, very importante, which Glocks have good/best .22 conversion kits?

Thanks very much.

Gio
05-08-2009, 9:29 PM
Glock 22 is the one you want. You can get a Lone Wolf .40 to 9mm conversion barrel, not sure which mags you use whether the 17 or 19. Also Advantage Arms makes a .22 conversion as well for the Glock 22. That might not be all that correct, but at least it is something for now ;)

-Gio

Greg-Dawg
05-08-2009, 9:42 PM
It all depends on ammo and .22lr conversion model kit availability.

All 9mm and .40S&W Glocks are awesome. Hard to choose when a gun is so reliable.

Bryan16
05-08-2009, 9:43 PM
The 22 is pretty large pistol (duty size). I'd get the 23 as a nice middle ground between a full duty size and a sub compact if you wanted a .40. I tend to prefer 9mm though as it is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil, and is still a very good defensive round. Although I'm sort of a hater against the .40 because I am a 10mm believer lol :)

You probably can't go wrong with either though! I chose the Glock 19 because of the capacity/size. Something about having 16 rounds in such a concealable size that makes me smile!

TheCilician
05-08-2009, 9:50 PM
How's camming action on it...recoil? (glock 19)

jimrod
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Depends on your use. For defensive purposes, go with the G22 in .40 S&W. For accuracy and general range use, go with th G17 in 9 mm - it's inherently more accurate and less costly to shoot. The .40 S&W is well documented by many firearms experts and writers to not be an inherently accurate cartridge, but it's good enough for gov't work. I'm sure i'm going to hear it from the .40 fanatics.

I know it's not on your list, but the Glock 21 in .45 ACP is well known to be the most accurate of the Glocks (outside of the long slide Glocks). The Glock .45 ACP barrels are purportedly manufactured on different machines than all the other calibers according to several publications. The .45 ACP is also better for defensive purposes. Something to consider.:confused:

TheCilician
05-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Hmm, We have a .40 in the house already, the Glock 17 9mm is looking good to add some variety...I'll look into it.

BUT, does the Glock 17 9mm, have a good conversion to the .22?

Gio
05-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Should be able to get an Advantage Arms kit for it.

Advantage Arms 22lr L.E. unit conversion for Glock models 17,22,24,31,34,35 includes one magazine & cleaning kit. $247.95

-Gio

TheCilician
05-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Should be able to get an Advantage Arms kit for it.

Advantage Arms 22lr L.E. unit conversion for Glock models 17,22,24,31,34,35 includes one magazine & cleaning kit. $247.95

-Gio

Ah these are sweet. Thanks.

walter
05-09-2009, 12:04 AM
unfortunately those kits are on major backorder. they are selling on gunbroker for 400+. I actually have a 19/23 kit on GB and its at 380 with 1 day left.

I say the best glock is the original 9mm glock 17 and 19. I think 19 is all around best. 9mm is my favorite caliber because its relatively cheap but its not a 22. .40 is too snappy for me. I rather go with 45acp if I could afford to

Gryff
05-09-2009, 1:06 AM
I've been reading that .40 is a good cal. for the Glock, but what do you guys think of 9mm?

The Glock 17 was their first model, and 9mm is a perfectly acceptable compromise between something less-expensive to shoot at the range, but offers decent stopping power with today's high-end defensive ammo.

Advantage Arms

Glock 22 is the one you want. You can get a Lone Wolf .40 to 9mm conversion barrel, not sure which mags you use whether the 17 or 19.

If you want it to work reliably, you have to switch out the barrel, mags, and extractor. Not sure about the recoil spring/guide rod assembly, though.

How's camming action on it...recoil? (glock 19)

Glocks may have a horrible grip angle and shape, but they have a low bore axis, so they don't rock in your hands too much during recoil.

nikki#2
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I went with a Glock 34 Tactical/Practical for USPSA/IDPA. The G17 AA Conversion Kit fits the G34/G35 as well. It is widely considered the best Kit for the Glock
(however, I wish Marvel Precision made a Glock Kit as accurate as the 1911 Unit 1). Several shooters have told me that the CZ Kadet Conversion Kit is more accurate
than the AA. I will confirm the difficulty in finding the AA Kit. I've searched everywhere, including auction sites, where they usually sell overnight at the BIN price... :mad:

I debated till the very end on a G35 .40 w/ a 9mm Conversion Barrel... My Club would allow me to shoot it in Production Division (official USPSA rules state otherwise),
and I figured it would cover ALL the bases... .40, 9MM, and 22LR.

However, it's easy to find posts reporting reliability problems with both the AA 22LR Kit and the 9mm Conversion barrels. Being a (closet) revolver-man at heart,
I have ZERO tolerance for problems of any kind, so I followed what I feel is solid advice [Glock = 9MM]. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm definitely in the minority, but no matter how much I WANT it to, the G19 does not fit my hand comfortably, like the G17/G34. I'm 6', 200lbs, but my fingers are apparently 'chubby' and I wear a Cadet-sized golf glove. Unfortunately, the G19 is a NO-GO for me. Hopefully, you will find otherwise for yourself.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/g34-4.jpg

TheCilician
05-09-2009, 12:55 PM
The Glock 17 was their first model, and 9mm is a perfectly acceptable compromise between something less-expensive to shoot at the range, but offers decent stopping power with today's high-end defensive ammo.

Advantage Arms

If you want it to work reliably, you have to switch out the barrel, mags, and extractor. Not sure about the recoil spring/guide rod assembly, though.

Glocks may have a horrible grip angle and shape, but they have a low bore axis, so they don't rock in your hands too much during recoil.

Very Good information man, thank you. Glock is starting to look like a very good buy.

punisheryayarea
05-09-2009, 4:21 PM
I just paid $685 and got the new glock 22 rtf and all I can say is Wow!!!! With the .40 you can change it to the 10mm for hunting if you want, I'm a .45 fan but when I held this new one the .45 has a run for there money.....( 4th gen is great.....)

kcbrown
05-09-2009, 4:32 PM

The grip angle on the Glock is the way it is for a reason: it allows you to (relatively) accurately point the weapon without using the sights. It's designed to point in the same direction that your index finger would if you simply pointed at something.

The 1911 grip angle (which most pistols use) is designed to line up the sights when your hand is up at eye level, in such a way that you don't have to rotate your wrist.

So: the Glock is designed to naturally point when simply held, while the 1911 is designed to naturally point when using the sights.

My personal opinion (which is literally worth nothing since I have no law enforcement or combat experience) is that the Glock is probably a slightly better tradeoff: if you're making the effort to use the sights at eye level, it's probably relatively little effort to angle the wrist a little in order to line up the sights, since you're making the effort to line up the sights anyway. On the other hand, the 1911 style grip might be slightly better for followup shots. If I had to choose which gun to shoot without the benefit of lining up the sights, though, I'd choose the Glock.

I'm hoping others with combat or LE experience will chime in with their experiences and opinions on this...

Gryff
05-09-2009, 8:49 PM
I just paid $685 and got the new glock 22 rtf and all I can say is Wow!!!! With the .40 you can change it to the 10mm for hunting if you want

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's correct. The 10mm Glocks use the .45-sized frame, so the mags won't fit in the 9/40-sized frame. I'm pretty sure that the RTF/4th Gen frames made no modifications to their size...only texture.

My personal opinion (which is literally worth nothing since I have no law enforcement or combat experience) is that the Glock is probably a slightly better tradeoff: if you're making the effort to use the sights at eye level, it's probably relatively little effort to angle the wrist a little in order to line up the sights, since you're making the effort to line up the sights anyway. On the other hand, the 1911 style grip might be slightly better for followup shots. If I had to choose which gun to shoot without the benefit of lining up the sights, though, I'd choose the Glock.

It does come down personal opinion. Glocks absolutely rock for their fans, and can completely suck for their detractors.

For many, the Glock grip angle does not point naturally. John Browning chose the angle he did for the 1911 because he considered it optimum for instinctively bringing the sights in line with the eye (i.e. pointing naturally). And his theory has been borne out for nearly 100 years with the success of the 1911 as both a fighting gun and as a competition platform.

Even many Glock fans had to train themselves to naturally orient the gun. Once you learn, it is a great weapon. The question is whether you want a gun that you have to re-learn how to shoot. Again, it's worth the effort to many, and not worth the trouble to many others. You just need to figure out which one you are.

precisionshooter308
05-09-2009, 9:02 PM
Start with the G17 you can always get a G22 or G23 later. Also Ciener makes a .22 conversion as well, though I like the Advantage Arms better.

supersonic
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm not positive, but I don't think that's correct. The 10mm Glocks use the .45-sized frame, so the mags won't fit in the 9/40-sized frame.

That would be an affirmative! The 10MM generates pressures that are too much for anything but .45ACP platforms. That pretty much goes across the entire spectrum of pistols, too. The only 10MM's, besides Glocks, that you will see are built on steel (not alloy) 1911 & the heavier CZ-type grip frames. The 10MM is at the top end (power-wise) as far as non-gas-operated pistols go. My G-20 shoots TWO 1' FLAMES - from the front and the top of the compensated barrel - when its raw fury is unleashed. As strange as it may seem, it is not only laser-accurate, but the recoil is very mild relative to the energy being released @ the muzzle with full-power loadings. In the semi-auto handgun world, the '10' is King of the Mountain.:cool:

kcbrown
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
For many, the Glock grip angle does not point naturally. John Browning chose the angle he did for the 1911 because he considered it optimum for instinctively bringing the sights in line with the eye (i.e. pointing naturally).

Right. That's essentially what I figured. But try pointing it without the benefit of using the sights. The question is how well does the 1911 point under those circumstances?

When you bring the firearm up to eye level, your hand isn't pointing at the target -- it's pointing above the target. The Glock always seems to point where my hand is pointing (so I have to angle it downwards slightly when using it at eye level). I would think that being able to simply point the weapon at the target and hit the target without needing to bring it up to eye level would be a significant advantage under some circumstances. But I have no experience to tell me how much of an advantage (if any) that would be, or how much of an advantage (if any) the Glock's grip angle would give in that scenario over the 1911's.

Shenaniguns
05-10-2009, 4:40 AM
9mm Glocks FTW!

sureshot84
05-10-2009, 5:48 AM
IF ANYONE IS STILL INTERESTED IN A NIB
ADVANTAGE ARMS .22 CONVERSION KIT FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME @ DESUSCHRIST@GMAIL.COM

Greg-Dawg
05-10-2009, 7:48 AM
I just paid $685 and got the new glock 22 rtf and all I can say is Wow!!!! With the .40 you can change it to the 10mm for hunting if you want.....( 4th gen is great.....)

Dang! For $700 you should've gotten the G34/35. Converting a .40S&W Glock to a 10mm caliber is incorrect; .357SIG and 9mm only. The RTF2 is not a 4th generation Glock.

walter
05-10-2009, 9:11 AM
Im selling a advantage arms 19-23 kit. It's on gunbroker right now

APNF128
05-10-2009, 7:01 PM
Guys there will never be an ending discussion between which caliber is a best 9mm,40cal,or 45acp. One rule of thumb to follow is practice and shoot only one cal you intend to use in self defense. Word of wisdom; Beware of a guy who own and shoot only one gun.

NotSoFast
05-10-2009, 8:03 PM
I have the Glock 35, .40 S&W 6" barrel, and love it. I previously had the G17 9mm along with the Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit. When I bought the G35 I also bought the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. The AA conversion kit works on the G35 just fine so I imagine it would work just as well on the G22 as would the Lone Wolf conversion barrel.

So if you're looking for a Glock to shoot .40 S&W, go with the either the G22 or the G35. Since I don't carry, I'm not worried about the length being an issue.

So now I'm using the 9mm up for target practice as well as shooting several mag loads of .40 to keep me in practice with me HD ammo.

Ifticar
05-11-2009, 1:33 PM
Im selling a advantage arms 19-23 kit. It's on gunbroker right now

Wow! A 90% markup over retail. I should have ordered 1/2 dozen of them. :D

CaptainGlock
05-11-2009, 4:01 PM
Very Good information man, thank you. Glock is starting to look like a very good buy.

Gryff's opinion of the Glock grip angle is not necessarily shared by all. :) On the recoil spring assembly thing, all Glocks of the same size use the same RSA.

CaptainGlock
05-11-2009, 4:21 PM
Yo,

I'm a 1911, CZ75 kinda guy....but i'm starting to see why everyone loves the Glock....it's a great pistol...

so here's what I want, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much.

I didn't find the .40 to be "a good cal. for the Glock," having owned and sold a G22 and G23. However, the .40 Glocks have plenty of fans.

Choosing a Glock is a no-brainer (at least for me :D). Choosing a caliber and model depends on what you want to do with it, how much you shoot, how much you can afford to spend on factory ammo (if you can find any :(), whether you reload, your tolerance for recoil, etc.

In the Good Old Days (six or eight months ago), 9mm was the cheapest factory ammo available (in the Good Old Days, factory ammo was available). 9mm is a good choice for gun games (GSSF, IDPA, USPSA Production). Just about the only advantage of a .40 Glock for gun games is that you can use it at Major Power factor in a couple of USPSA divisions, giving you more points for near-misses! High-quality 9mm defensive ammo makes the 9mm a decent candidate for that role. Glocks in 9mm tend to produce less felt recoil than similar-sized Glocks in other calibers when using factory ammo.

While I usually shoot .45 GAP and .45 ACP Glocks more frequently than 9mm, I do reload for the large calibers so the cost is not a big factor. The plain fact is, I do like Glocks in 9mm and I'm thinking about getting a second G34.

What would you be using your Glock for?

Gryff
05-11-2009, 8:32 PM
Gryff's opinion of the Glock grip angle is not necessarily shared by all.

Yes, it is. You've just embraced your inner freak.

:)

Like I said, some people love the guns, some don't. If you're one of the people who love the platform, then there is absolutely no reason why you should change that opinion.