PDA

View Full Version : Sig change the Mosquito?

Daddy4zack
05-08-2009, 7:40 PM
Did Sig upgrade the Mosquito? I had heard not so good things about older Mosquitoes.(jamming and such) My local gun shop said that was with the older model of mosquito. That the new ones were different.... What is difference?? how do you tell? how do you tell the date of manufacture of a sig?

Thanks

One Shot, One Dropped
05-08-2009, 8:57 PM
I don't know anything about any changes made to the Mosquito over the course of its production, but did you ever think he may have just been trying to sell you one?

TheCilician
05-08-2009, 9:03 PM
I don't know anything about any changes made to the Mosquito over the course of its production, but did you ever think he may have just been trying to sell you one?

That's what I think. I was ironically checking out the Sig Mosq. at my local gun-shoppe, and it read as the same model number, made in 09' too....so..

jyo
05-08-2009, 9:16 PM
Well, all I can say about the Sig Mosquito is WHAT A PIECE OF SOLID SEWAGE---my brother was looking for a mid-size 22 pistol and asked about the Sig---I told him that I had not fired or handled that pistol, but its a Sig---should be good right? To get to the point, I don't see how they could ever have test fired this gun because it just jammed repeatedly---ALWAYS---you could not even shoot one magazine full---FTE-FTF-double feed, you name it---I never would have believed Sig would ship such a poor product. When I mentioned this to a friend in the firearms business, he said his gunsmith finally got his to work after much work. I am going to ship this dog back to Sig with instructions to fix it or replace it.

rudeman
05-08-2009, 9:55 PM
Well, all I can say about the Sig Mosquito is WHAT A PIECE OF SOLID SEWAGE---my brother was looking for a mid-size 22 pistol and asked about the Sig---I told him that I had not fired or handled that pistol, but its a Sig---should be good right? To get to the point, I don't see how they could ever have test fired this gun because it just jammed repeatedly---ALWAYS---you could not even shoot one magazine full---FTE-FTF-double feed, you name it---I never would have believed Sig would ship such a poor product. When I mentioned this to a friend in the firearms business, he said his gunsmith finally got his to work after much work. I am going to ship this dog back to Sig with instructions to fix it or replace it.

I just fired 200rounds at the range and no jam or missed fire. The first thing I did was, changed to the other spring.. the ammo that I used are cci hp and federal hp

ontargetrange
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
We have been selling them for the past few years -- they are the most difficult 22 to shoot reliably -- they have to have exactly the right 22 ammo -- we have found that some CCI works well -- the most successful 22 ammo has been Fereal 810 -- the 100 rd plastic box seems to have just the right shape bullet and has the right amount of FPS to cycle the firearm --

onikage
05-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I recently purchased a Sig Mosquito. I followed the instructions in the manual and gave the gun a good cleaning before my first range trip. I used only CCI Mini Mags and shot 200 rounds with absolutely no issues. Keep it clean and use the recommended ammo until break in and it should be fine.

walter
05-09-2009, 12:07 AM
i use to have the sig mosquito and I never even notice that the frame is FREAKING PLASTIC! not polymer, but plastic! i put a light on it too fight and the slide actually melted a peice of the frame. how pathetic

Gryff
05-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I bought a used one for my son. As long as we feed it CCI Minimags, it is problem-free.

BTW, wasn't the Mosquito designed by the same guys who are now doing the GSG-5 .22s? I read that they were an airsoft company that decided to make the jump into real firearms.

HK Dave
05-09-2009, 7:51 AM
The did update the Mosquito.

I bought one last year and it runs great.

It is ammo sensitive.

With CCI Minimags I've never had a problem.

maxicon
05-09-2009, 8:02 AM
I haven't heard anything about an upgrade or new design. Best place to check would be over at www.rimfirecentral.com, as sigforum isn't that active with Mosquitos. If anyone has details on what they did, that would be useful.

Not only do you need the right spring, but it needs to be installed the right way, with the tapered end on first. Zinc and plastic seem to be the new trend in inexpensive .22s, and I wouldn't count on handing down a Mosquito to your grandkids.

Mine's OK, but it's not as reliable or as accurate as my Ruger MKII. It's a fun plinker, especially when you can find cheap ammo it likes. Mine likes Minimags pretty well, but they're a bit pricey for .22 ammo.

sv_1
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I guess i got a good one... hardly ever clean it and it cycles minimags flawlessly. The trigger is crap, but it was under $300 and perfect for introducing shooters to semi autos without fear of recoil.

-hanko
05-09-2009, 1:28 PM
i use to have the sig mosquito and I never even notice that the frame is FREAKING PLASTIC! not polymer, but plastic! i put a light on it too fight and the slide actually melted a peice of the frame. how pathetic
Plastic is a polymer, but 'polymer' sounds more technical than 'plastic'.;)

hth

-hanko

ajunkyarddog
05-09-2009, 4:14 PM
Yes, the Mosquito is ammo sensitive. Although Sig recommends CCI minimags, i've also had good luck with the Remington Golden bullets & Federal high velocity brands that have a plating on the bullet. The bare lead bullets such as the Blazer & Winchester Xpert HV work poorly in the Mosquito. It seems that their powder charge provides noticeably less recoil & the necessary kick to cycle the slide. Consequently, the spent cartridge is often left uncycled in the chamber.
I had to send the Mosquito back to Sig right after my purchase due to failures to feed & eject. Sig had my gun back in 8 days & i have enjoyed reliable performance since. The only issues since are ammo related, not Sig.
Their work order indicated polishing & tuning of the extractor. Help this helps. Good luck.

tiko
05-09-2009, 9:09 PM
I just fired 200rounds at the range and no jam or missed fire. The first thing I did was, changed to the other spring.. the ammo that I used are cci hp and federal hp

I shot 500 rds through my Mosquito with no jam, I use the thicker recoil spring ( included) and high speed 22 LR, the regular 22 LR will make lot FTF & FTE. But my Ruger MkIII eats everything just fine, and it is cheaper than the Mosquito.

Burtonwurton
05-10-2009, 2:07 AM
There is a first gen mosquito and a second gen.. The mosquito that I bought is the second gen and it shoots everything I put through it... I forgot the production date so just look it up.. The second gen fixed the feed problem

Daddy4zack
05-10-2009, 7:25 AM
There is a first gen mosquito and a second gen.. The mosquito that I bought is the second gen and it shoots everything I put through it... I forgot the production date so just look it up.. The second gen fixed the feed problem

Thats what i was told but i didnt really believe it.. hard to buy a gun with soo much controversy about it. But I do want the damn thing...

maxicon
05-10-2009, 9:32 AM

What were the changes? Any links to the info? There's a lot of talk about these out on the net, but I haven't seen anything that documents them.

ETA: Someone mentioned the trigger - I measured the trigger pull on mine recently, and got an average of 5 lb 14 oz for SA (not bad, but not great), and over 12 lbs for DA (my gauge only goes to 12 lbs).

fcr
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Is the 226 classic .22, just a 9mm with the 22 kit on it? Noticed you can get the X-change kit for centerfire ammo.

Daddy4zack
05-10-2009, 5:02 PM
What were the changes? Any links to the info? There's a lot of talk about these out on the net, but I haven't seen anything that documents them.

ETA: Someone mentioned the trigger - I measured the trigger pull on mine recently, and got an average of 5 lb 14 oz for SA (not bad, but not great), and over 12 lbs for DA (my gauge only goes to 12 lbs).

X2 Anyone have dates that they changed?? #'s?

ajunkyarddog
05-10-2009, 6:08 PM
For more comprehensive info regarding Sig Mosquito, check out this link on Sig Forums:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4101021231
These guys are hard core enthusiasts who will guide you on how to tear down & tune the trigger and troubleshoot problems

jyo
05-11-2009, 1:11 AM
Well, just so you know---we tried both springs and just about every type and brand of 22 ammo you could think of---standard velocity, high velocity, hyper velocity, sub-sonic---you name it, we tried it---didn't freaking work. I hope Sig changed this pistol, that gives me reason to believe sooner or later we will get one that works.