PDA

View Full Version : Buy low, replace parts?

Monticore
05-08-2009, 6:51 PM
Hi All,

I will be buying my first handgun soon, and with a baby on the way the budget may not be what I'd like. I am leaning towards Glock 22, XD40, or maybe a 1911. I have fired a wide range of semi-autos and if money were no object would go ape at the store (one month at a time.)

So the question:
Lets say I found a G22 on the forums here and the OP says there's multiple thousands of rounds down the pipe, but the price reflects that. I know it will be different per pistol so I'll stick with the G22 for now, how does one decide to go for it knowing that they may want to swap out a few parts fairly soon? Is it as simple as a few parts? Lets say that a new barrel and spring are all thats really worn out. Are there parts of the frame to reallt watch out for? Or the slide?

I'm not exactly sure how to best ask what's in my head.
If I see a Springfield 1911 on here for $500 that has a few thousand rounds through it, do I jump on it? Are the replacement parts that expensive where I should just save a little longer and buy new?

bohoki
05-08-2009, 6:53 PM
get an extractor its the only thing that ever failed me

Oregonish
05-08-2009, 7:07 PM
A glock is glock, there made to be punished, Bud's gun shop usually has LEO trade-in's for $389, try that. .40 cal ammo is some what easier to find too. A 1911, well, that's another story. I know you've seen the GB thread about the guy selling ONE round of .45 as a joke, well, it's no damn joke. I have a better chance of getting a reach around by Selma Hayek while being video taped by Lily thai, than you finding .45 ammo right now, plus the prices are ungodly if you do find it.

I would buy a .22 cal and plink away for cheap right now if I were you, especially since you have a baby on the way. Plus, When you buy a firearm, factor in a safe, ammo, mags, cleaning supplies, range costs.

But, between both, I would go with a glock, hands down. But that's my 2 cents.

loosewreck
05-08-2009, 7:14 PM
Glocks will be far cheaper and easier to maintain and the prices of replacement parts are extremely affordable. A 1911 will require a bit more skill and experience, with fitting parts, trouble shooting, etc.

However both guns are almost equally user friendly when it comes down to detail stripping. Glocks IMHO just barley wins. (YMMV)

I'm not totally sure on this, but I think Glock will replace an older generation frame for a current one. Maybe someone more knowlegable will chime in.

Monticore
05-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the thoughts so far.

I have not yet checked prices in stores, and kind of ignore GB.com as there's too much anti-CA floating around there. The forums here is where my lunch hour is spent. I occasionally see a G22 with 9mm kit and a holster and an extra mag or two, with a box or so of ammo, all for like $600. Sometimes my eyes bug out and I think, where's my wallet??? On darn, it's in SoCal. Drat!

Then I wonder, it seems like a great deal.
But is it a lemon in disguise? Shot out?

That's what got me thinking, just replace a few key parts and I just "refurbished" it.

I look forward to more words of wisdom and experiences.

railroader
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html Good prices on used glocks. Mark

Oldnoob
05-08-2009, 11:35 PM
If you buying a 2nd gen Glock and worry about all the internal parts. Sent it back to Glock and they will replace all except the barrel for free. So all you really spend is the shipping fee. Glock are tough, and barrel can go on tenth thousands of rounds. I never feel bad to buy a used Glock.

Sinixstar
05-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm personally not a big fan of glocks myself (i just don't like the feel of any polymer pistol) - but if you're looking to save some money buying something used, but know it will go bang all the time - glock is absolutely the way to go.

Somebody posted the torture thread around here not long ago about the guy with the G21 who's done everything from soak it in saltwater for a week, dropped it from a plane, ran it over with a truck, dropped it loaded off the roof of his house, hasn't cleaned it in ages - and still puts up respectable groups with it. Oh yea, and it has something like 150k rounds through it. He's been TRYING to break the thing, and hasn't been able to. There's just not many other guns out there that can/will stand up to that kind of abuse. (I'll see if I can dig up the link)

1911's are great guns (own one myself) but they do require a bit more knowledge and effort to really run effectively - not saying they're not reliable, just they're a little more high-maintenance. XDs are nice too - but compared to the reliability of a Glock, I don't think there's much comparison.

I agree with what someone said above in that the .40 would probably make for a good choice right now. 9mm and 45acp are both pretty much impossible to find - and the .40 is a solid round in it's own right. You're certainly not sacrificing anything going that route, and you're gaining everything in availability.

smittty
05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi All,

I will be buying my first handgun soon, and with a baby on the way the budget may not be what I'd like. I am leaning towards Glock 22, XD40, or maybe a 1911. I have fired a wide range of semi-autos and if money were no object would go ape at the store (one month at a time.)

So the question:
Lets say I found a G22 on the forums here and the OP says there's multiple thousands of rounds down the pipe, but the price reflects that. I know it will be different per pistol so I'll stick with the G22 for now, how does one decide to go for it knowing that they may want to swap out a few parts fairly soon? Is it as simple as a few parts? Lets say that a new barrel and spring are all thats really worn out. Are there parts of the frame to reallt watch out for? Or the slide?

I'm not exactly sure how to best ask what's in my head.
If I see a Springfield 1911 on here for $500 that has a few thousand rounds through it, do I jump on it? Are the replacement parts that expensive where I should just save a little longer and buy new?

I don't recommend that 1911. Their eliability is hit and miss.

Spare yourself the trouble and just buy a new Glock or XD in 9mm. I just bought a new G19 for $539 here in SoCal. All their Glocks seemed to be that price, G22 included.

I've done PPT and bought from out of state etc, and it doesn't save enough money to make it worth while. A couple months ago bought a surplus P6 thinking it was a smart purchase but in the end I saved $50 compared to the price of the G19 that I just bought.

Also, most if not all of the PPT deals that I've seen here and on other forums have been overpriced.

Here, 40 sw is as hard to find as 9mm but it costs almost $10 a box more. I recommend 9mm because it will always be cheaper and once this panic period is over the ammo will become more plentiful. Most places still seem to always have a few boxes of each type of ammo.

I recommend that you buy the new Glock or XD and Congrats on becoming a dad.

Smitty

JohnnyG
05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
A used G22 with a couple thousand rounds through it is hardly used, in my opinion. These things can take serious punishment and are easily fixed. The only thing I might consider replacing is the slide spring and maybe buy a spare extractor (as has been mentioned).

Tyrius
05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
If you're looking to save money and upgrade the parts as they break down on you, a Glock's definitely the way to go. I'm a 1911 man myself, but hand-fitting parts just isn't as much fun as dropping them in and going back to the range.

I have a better chance of getting a reach around by Selma Hayek while being video taped by Lily thai, than you finding .45 ammo right now, plus the prices are ungodly if you do find it.

You, sir, have just given me a new life goal.

Greg-Dawg
05-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Buy the Glock and if you see any worn parts, call Glock and they'll take care of you. They send me FREE parts all the time.

Monticore
05-09-2009, 4:59 PM
Buy the Glock and if you see any worn parts, call Glock and they'll take care of you. They send me FREE parts all the time.

But Greg, are you the only one on these forums certified to carry this Glock 40 (BANG!!!)......