PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Process Question

Twist18
05-08-2009, 4:21 PM
A quick question for any LEOs that may be familiar with the hiring process....I recently applied for and was not hired as a Reserve Officer. I completed every step other than the psych and medical......apparently they must have found something in my background, but I have no idea what it could be. Nobody from the city's HR dept. or from the PD itself has returned my calls so far. My question is: Are they required to tell me why I was not hired, or if not, how can I go about finding out what the issue is/was? Thanks!

strangerdude
05-08-2009, 4:23 PM
Were you not assigned a B.I.? When I went through the process I had a B.I. and two separate contact numbers to reach him.

Unit74
05-08-2009, 4:25 PM
Most agencies have a non-disclosure policy.

LAPD will tell you what they found, but that's the only place I can think of who will give you the dirt they found.

Twist18
05-08-2009, 4:34 PM
Were you not assigned a B.I.? When I went through the process I had a B.I. and two separate contact numbers to reach him.

The background was contracted to an outside firm, it took forever, and he didn't even speak with all of my friends/contacts that I listed.

Twist18
05-08-2009, 4:39 PM
Most agencies have a non-disclosure policy.

LAPD will tell you what they found, but that's the only place I can think of who will give you the dirt they found.

Even if they have a non disclosure policy, are there any labor laws or anything that could be used to get them to disclose what they found? I need to know what the issue is or was, so that I know if I have any future in Law Enforcement. I've never had any isses come up in any other L.E. backgrounds that I've had done.

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 4:46 PM
What other LE backgrounds have you done?

Twist18
05-08-2009, 5:32 PM
What other LE backgrounds have you done?

I've done several......I was hired a Sheriff's Deputy, I left that job about 12 years ago because I didn't make it through FTO. After leaving there I tested at a couple of agencies, and passed their backgrounds, however I failed the psychs (the psychs were all conducted by the same person) due to maturity issues. I know this because I went back to the same psych for a CSO job I was testing for, he told me then about the maturity issues, but that he thought I was a different person now, so I don't believe I failed that psych. This all kind of a long story made short, I'd be typing forever if I told my entire LE history!

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 5:46 PM
Any of the reasons you listed from your past could be in themselves the reason you washed out this time. As I am sure you know in the world of applying and making it through an academy the nail that sicks out gets hammered. Sucks though.

Unit74
05-08-2009, 6:58 PM
Even if they have a non disclosure policy, are there any labor laws or anything that could be used to get them to disclose what they found? I need to know what the issue is or was, so that I know if I have any future in Law Enforcement. I've never had any isses come up in any other L.E. backgrounds that I've had done.

Not sure... I guess you could serve legal papers demanding they disclose the reason for denial and see what happens.

Twist18
05-08-2009, 7:22 PM
How much does debt figure in to it? We have a lot of debt, however we pay all of our bills on time and have an excellent credit rating.

Unit74
05-08-2009, 7:40 PM
How much does debt figure in to it? We have a lot of debt, however we pay all of our bills on time and have an excellent credit rating.

What's the ratio?

Twist18
05-08-2009, 7:52 PM
Not sure what you mean by ratio,but we rent, so no mortgage, have two credit cards, one is pretty much maxed, the other has about $8,000 in available credit, and we don't use that one at all unless its an emergency. We have two car loans, one we got in 05, the other in late 07, and thats it for our debt.

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 8:28 PM
Debt to income is a big factor for obvious reasons.

sgtbuck
05-08-2009, 8:30 PM
I've done several......I was hired a Sheriff's Deputy, I left that job about 12 years ago because I didn't make it through FTO. After leaving there I tested at a couple of agencies, and passed their backgrounds, however I failed the psychs (the psychs were all conducted by the same person) due to maturity issues. I know this because I went back to the same psych for a CSO job I was testing for, he told me then about the maturity issues, but that he thought I was a different person now, so I don't believe I failed that psych. This all kind of a long story made short, I'd be typing forever if I told my entire LE history!

I would say not making it through FTO training is the main reason. It cost a lot of money to get to the point of FTO training. They just don't want to take a chance since you failed to make it through another departments training.

In my department it cost the same to train a Reserve Officer as a Full time Officer. Reserves also had there own chain of command. We were very careful about who we hired. We only took the top people. Anything like that in the background we would not have considered. We looked for the people who we knew would make it through the whole process (Level one full basic POST). We were also certified to do our own backgrounds. We did not like to take chances. I actually saw people that we turn down get hire as a full time Officer with our Department.

The reason for this was it took us a lot of years to get the full respect of our full time counter parts. Some Reserves in the 70s and early 80s (do to lack of training and lack of good background checks) gave us a not so good rep in my department. We worked our asses off and by 1994 we were treated and respected as equals. The full time Officers even campaigned successfully to remove Reserve Officer from our badges and put Police Officer in place of it. We worked one man cars on a beat, Gangs, FTOs you name it we did it.

I tell you this because you might be thinking that it should have been easier to be a Reserve Officer. It's not. It is actually more difficult in some ways.

Put your apps in every Department you can. Try to figure out what you can say and do. Try to give the department your going for a better picture of what kind of person you are today. It is not going to be easy but do not give up. And remember if you want to be a Reserve most Reserve organizations have allot to say about who they hire.

Good Luck and I hope I gave you some insight to help you get picked up.

gotgunz
05-08-2009, 8:43 PM
I would guess the failing out of FTO is the culprit.

Twist18
05-08-2009, 8:50 PM
I don't think failing FTO has anything to do with it, that was 12 years ago, I was barely 22 when I got hired, just turned 23 when I left, I'm 35 now, and I know MANY stories of officers not making it through FTO at one department, and getting hired right away by another department. At the department I was applying for, they'd just hired a guy who'd failed FTO at another place, but he made it through FTO there. I appreciate the opinions, but I really doubt thats a factor, I've always been up front about not making it through FTO when I've applied at departments, and the departments always decide to proceed with the process for me.

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 9:07 PM
Any conflicts with past or present employers?

BigDogatPlay
05-08-2009, 9:51 PM
For the OP...

If you filled out the full background form you would / should have been required to sign waivers for your medical and financial records to be accessed. Those waivers usually also include a hold harmless and non-disclosure. One of the big reasons for non-disclosure is so that the candidate doesn't go take it out on whomever said whatever.

Not saying that would happen, just that it's a concern relative to disclosing who said what about you.

If your debt to income ratio is weighted too heavily to the debt side that would almost certainly be a concern, particularly in the current financial climate. If your FICO is reasonably good and you don't have any foreclosures, bankruptcies or repossessions then that would likely not be a problem.

What you have to guard against is the investigator finding out something you didn't tell them first. That is an almost certain path to a DQ. Of course since they won't tell you what it is that they found that they didn't like, you are left guessing.

It sucks, but there it is.

ETA: Bilging FTO is not an automatic DQ. I know a number of guys who were blown out of FTO in one agency and landed immediately somewhere else and were successful.

Twist18
05-09-2009, 9:17 AM
I understand they wouldn't want me to know who, if anyone, said something bad about me to protect that person or persons, but I don't think anyone did. I'm self employed and have been for 8 years, prior to that I worked for my aunt and uncle for almost 4 years, and before that was the Department that I failed FTO.

My credit score is excellent (over 730 on experian) my wife says if they used equifax it would be higher, probably in the 750 range. I've never had anything reposessed, never any collections, heck, I've never had any 30 day lates! We do have a lot of debt, but we always pay our bills on time.

I'm married, I have two kids, I rarely drink, don't do drugs (other than marijuana and nitrous 4 or 5 times in high school) I've had no negative contacts with the police at all. I have one traffic ticket on my record for not wearing my seat belt, and that was about 5 years ago. I just have no clue what they could have found! I really think its BS that they won't tell me so that I could at least know and try and explain whatever it is......not to mention, what if someone is lying about me.....I have no recourse! I'm really frustrated, and I don't know what to do........if I apply at another department, they'll ask why I didn't get hired with this one, and they'll check with them, and possibly wash me out for the same thing and not tell me again!