PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Foundation (CGF) in The National Press!

oaklander
05-08-2009, 3:34 PM
POSITIVE press for CGF - Kudos to Kes for spotting this!

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/06/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4996598.shtml

Lawsuit Seeks Stronger Gun Rights For California Citizens

(AP) In theory, law-abiding Californians who undergo a criminal background check and pass a government training course can receive a permit from their local sheriff to carry a concealed firearm.

But in practice, many California counties flatly deny permits to residents who meet the requirements for a concealed carry permit -- a situation that a lawsuit filed in federal court in Sacramento on Tuesday hopes to remedy.

The lawsuit filed by the Second Amendment Foundation and the Calguns Foundation says the routine denials of concealed carry permits violate the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

One of the plaintiffs is Deanna Sykes, a lesbian and a firearms instructor who says she believes her sexual orientation and small stature make her a target for criminals. Another is Andrew Witham, a private investigator and campus public safety officer, whose local sheriff denied his request to carry a handgun while away from work.

The case "presents a very simple legal issue: people have the right to bear arms," Alan Gura, a Virginia attorney representing the plaintiffs, told CBSNews.com on Wednesday. "The state is able to regulate that right, but it cannot arbitrarily deny the right to bear arms based on the whims of local officials. The current law has absolutely no standards to it, and some local officials regrettably abuse their discretion. They decide self-defense is not a valid reason to deny the gun carry permit."

Section 12050 of California law says that "the sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character" may issue a concealed carry permit. Californians who carry a concealed weapon without a license are subject to criminal penalties including fines and a one-year jail term. (Nearly every state has some form of concealed carry laws, with 36 states saying that sheriffs must issue them by default, and two states -- Alaska and Vermont -- require no advance permission.)

What the pro-gun rights groups that filed this lawsuit hope to do is apply the U.S. Supreme Court's reasoning in the landmark D.C. v. Heller case decided last year. Even though Heller focused on the firearm restrictions of the nation's capital, by recognizing a constitutional right protecting individual possession of firearms, the justices expressed a dim view of sweeping prohibitions on Americans' Second Amendment rights.

Gura said that he knew of no case filed since the Supreme Court's decision that has led to a definitive ruling about how Heller applies to concealed carry permits.

A map prepared by the CalCCW.com site shows that the more liberal counties around San Francisco and Los Angeles tend to be the ones that deny permits to regular citizens. A 2007 report from the state of California shows that the county of San Francisco, for instance, issued only six permits that year -- while the rural, wooded, and far less populous county of Shasta issued 2,306 permits.

A bill titled AB 357 introduced in the California legislature in February would remove some discretion from local officials if the applicant for a permit qualified for one. (The city of Davis, for instance, tells applicants: "An evaluation and comparison of our current services to available resources has forced us to discontinue processing and issuing CCW [Carry Concealed Weapon] licenses. I apologize for the inconvenience this action will cause you.")

Last month, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment -- which required states to offer freedoms found in the Bill of Rights such as a jury trial -- protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That decision is important because it means extreme state laws violate the Second Amendment as much as extreme federal laws would, and it is binding on the Sacramento court where the lawsuit was filed this week.

Representatives of the defendants in this case, Sacramento county and Yolo county, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

tmuller
05-08-2009, 3:38 PM
Nice! Thanks again Calgunsfoundation and SAF for all your hard work.

Frijolito1988
05-08-2009, 3:41 PM
damn this is awsome.

curtisfong
05-08-2009, 3:45 PM
now if only the mainstream press would pick up on how closely linked to corruption CCW issuance is.

double_action
05-08-2009, 3:45 PM
This is great . . . the only thing is . . . .

now I have to donate MORE money ;)

rolo
05-08-2009, 3:49 PM
That is sweet! The more this happens the better!

Kid Stanislaus
05-08-2009, 3:52 PM
We better hope it works because we'll NEVER get a decent CCW law out of the state legislature.

gcvt
05-08-2009, 4:04 PM
:hurray:

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 4:09 PM
Any plans for Gene and Bill to appear on talk radio?

AlexDD
05-08-2009, 4:10 PM
Nice coverage...

Didn't know that about City of Davis. That is weak! Would they stop issuing building permits?

FreedomIsNotFree
05-08-2009, 4:12 PM
Is it just me or do others vision CGF as a snowball that keeps gaining in size and power? Congrats to the entire CGF crew!

supersonic
05-08-2009, 4:17 PM
Bravo, all..........Bravo!!!!!:thumbsup:

Saigon1965
05-08-2009, 4:24 PM
Not just you - It is gaining momemtum -

Is it just me or do others vision CGF as a snowball that keeps gaining in size and power? Congrats to the entire CGF crew!

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 4:25 PM

It is needed to be replicated in other oppressed states, and a couple states near them to kick out the AGPC out entirely.

natedogg1777
05-08-2009, 4:34 PM
Dude - you guys are awesome! I read through the lawsuit I am quite impressed...this could be very good.

Guruwes
05-08-2009, 4:39 PM
Nice Job!!!
Keep up the good work!!!

AEC1
05-08-2009, 4:40 PM
I have a tingling feeling in my legs, and it is not from the great savior Obama!

1BigPea
05-08-2009, 4:54 PM
And to think for the past 6 months my wife and I have been discussing moving out of California for good and taking our money and business elsewhere. Now it looks like we're gonna have to stick around awhile and see what Gene, Bill and the other "right people" have planned for the RKBA here in CA!! :thumbsup:

Glock22Fan
05-08-2009, 5:00 PM
POSITIVE press for CGF - Kudos to Kes for spotting this!

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/06/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4996598.shtml

Perhaps kudos are in order, but this has been posted in at least two other threads starting on Wednesday.

As quoted elsewhere, Declan (the author) says:

My specialized media training on how to distort the firearms issue isn't scheduled until next week. I think there's an extra-credit class on confusing automatic shotguns with automatic machine guns, and how to refer to bolt-action hunting rifle with black fiberglass stocks as assault weapons that should be immediately banned lest another Columbine occur.

oaklander
05-08-2009, 5:08 PM
LOL - I know the article was mentioned deep in the main thread about the CCW challenge. Just thought it was worthy of its own thread. It's makes me feel warm and fuzzy that Calguns, and the CGF, have gotten so much traction and success in such a short amount of time.

Just a few short years ago, I remember thinking that California was the WORST state for firearms rights.

With some of what we are now doing, we may become the vanguard!!!

Perhaps kudos are in order, but this has been posted in at least two other threads starting on Wednesday.

As quoted elsewhere, Declan (the author) says:

nooner
05-08-2009, 5:14 PM
One can hope!

Sobriquet
05-08-2009, 5:14 PM
My congratulations to everyone over at CGF. I'm glad to see you guys getting some of the recognition you deserve.

tombinghamthegreat
05-08-2009, 5:17 PM
Good to hear. I find it interesting that this forum ended up becoming a major political vehicle in CA for gun rights.

mecam
05-08-2009, 5:40 PM
What does Paul Helmke and his Brady cronies think about these law suits? :tt2:

Can'thavenuthingood
05-08-2009, 5:51 PM
LOL - I know the article was mentioned deep in the main thread about the CCW challenge. Just thought it was worthy of its own thread. It's makes me feel warm and fuzzy that Calguns, and the CGF, have gotten so much traction and success in such a short amount of time.

Just a few short years ago, I remember thinking that California was the WORST state for firearms rights.

Vanguard= the forefront of an action or movement.

I think we are there, at least Point in California.

Dynamic is an excellent descriptor as many things are happening throughout the Calguns community.

Waiting we are not.
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Vick

Vacaville
05-08-2009, 5:51 PM
Go Calguns! Thanks to everyone who's working on this.

7x57
05-08-2009, 6:19 PM

I believe California already *is* the vanguard. While Heller II against DC and the recent lawsuit about Americans living abroad not being able to buy guns in the US are important, Sykes is huge. It seeks to give real, enforceable content to "bear" just as Heller+Nordyke gives a real, enforceable content to "keep." Even the Chicago suit is still about "keep", because it has to stay very close to Heller in order to focus on incorporation. The Montana-style refusal to accept federal regulation would be a strong contender if it were serious, but I'm afraid it isn't so while I'm all in favor of the symbol it doesn't count for the lead. But enforcing the right to bear, if successful, is absolutely huge. Without "bear" we only have half the Second Amendment at best, even if there were no infringements at all on what we could keep. We need Sykes as groundwork for attacking the other laws almost as much as we needed Heller.

So at this time, I believe California has taken over the lead from DC. And since I am so harsh on California in general, let me say that while the incorrigible over-regulation of this state gives the lie to the do-what-you-want image of CA *in general*, California gun owners of the type represented by Calguns are in fact really living that image and should be proud of that. That's why California is the point man right now.

My parents, no friends of about anything California represents, were pretty impressed with the fact that California gun owners seem to be a rowdy bunch of malcontents who don't seem to take orders well. :thumbsup:

Go, rowdy malcontents, go. :43:

7x57

05-08-2009, 6:28 PM
Spreading the word in the Blogosphere:

California "Shall Issue" Concealed Carry Weapon Permits, Here We Come! (http://transsylvaniaphoenix.blogspot.com/2009/05/california-shall-issue-concealed-carry.html)

:thumbsup:

Legasat
05-08-2009, 6:31 PM
You guys are awesome!

Fjold
05-08-2009, 6:42 PM
I wonder if we could get this article posted in places like Gunbroker.com to show some of the ignorant people in the rest of the States what we are doing out here.

supersonic
05-08-2009, 6:55 PM
I wonder if we could get this article posted in places like Gunbroker.com to show some of the ignorant people in the rest of the States what we are doing out here.

That's a brilliant idea. I have almost been banned from there because I get into sooo many confrontations (both through e-mail & phone) with dozens & dozens of sellers from out of state that are completely ignorant & 'militant' in their 'stand' against Ca.;)

05-08-2009, 7:03 PM

Done! http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=373700

Ford8N
05-08-2009, 7:45 PM

:thumbsup:

DDT
05-08-2009, 7:46 PM
CGF at the van, cover our backs if you can keep up.

hoffmang
05-08-2009, 8:06 PM
My parents, no friends of about anything California represents, were pretty impressed with the fact that California gun owners seem to be a rowdy bunch of malcontents who don't seem to take orders well.

:whistling:

-Gene

HowardW56
05-08-2009, 8:23 PM
It was in the Sun (San Bernidino) too...

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_12323443

Plus

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/SAF-Calguns-Foundation-bw-15095354.html?.v=1

and

http://news.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20090501/01may20092017.html

HowardW56
05-08-2009, 8:30 PM
ANd

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS163504+09-Mar-2009+PRN20090309

vrand
05-08-2009, 8:34 PM
It was in the Sun (San Bernidino) too...

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/ci_12323443

Plus

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/SAF-Calguns-Foundation-bw-15095354.html?.v=1

and

http://news.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20090501/01may20092017.html

The word is getting out :thumbsup:

radioburning
05-08-2009, 8:36 PM
This is great! Maybe instead of California being known as the example of horrible gun laws, it will start being the example of how to fight them.:boxing_smiley::notworthy:

Aegis
05-08-2009, 9:52 PM
We better hope it works because we'll NEVER get a decent CCW law out of the state legislature.

The legislature does not have the common sense to do so and they are too busy driving this state into bankruptcy.

AngelDecoys
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Always nice to get positive coverage.

Last month, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment -- which required states to offer freedoms found in the Bill of Rights such as a jury trial......

Ironic since Amendment V has been held not to be incorporated against the states. Hurtado v. California I wonder if there's any state constitutions that don't provide for indictment by grand jury?

7x57
05-08-2009, 10:27 PM
:whistling:

-Gene

If the shoe fits..... :thumbsup:

Needs a slogan.

Calguns: showing soccer hooligans how to rumble since XXXX.

Calguns: making soccer hooligans look good since April 20, 2009.

Calguns: the junkyard dog of gun-rights.

Calguns: we'll see YOU in court!

Calguns: don't tread on me, dude.

Not quite right, but the thought is there.

7x57

N6ATF
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Needs a slogan.

Calguns: we'll see YOU in court! and YOU, in two weeks, and YOU in two weeks...

Fixed.

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Calguns: B***slapping California's legal system back to freedom.

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
What does Paul Helmke and his Brady cronies think about these law suits? :tt2: Cut them down from the rafters and ask them.

DDT
05-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Calguns: Kicking *** and takin' guns.

7x57
05-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Ironic since Amendment V has been held not to be incorporated against the states. Hurtado v. California I wonder if there's any state constitutions that don't provide for indictment by grand jury?

I believe so, heard precisely in the context of the fifth not being incorporated, but I can't remember which. Maybe someone knows.

7x57

megavolt121
05-09-2009, 1:37 AM
If the shoe fits..... :thumbsup:

Needs a slogan.

7x57

More like:
Calguns, Causing the Brady's headaches since 2005.

oaklander
05-09-2009, 1:48 AM
vires ex plures

("strength from many")

DDT
05-09-2009, 1:52 AM
vini vidi bangi

I came, I saw, I shot.

oaklander
05-09-2009, 1:53 AM
vini vidi bangi

I came, I saw, I shot.

LOL

N6ATF
05-09-2009, 2:06 AM
vini vidi bangi

I came, I saw, I shot.

NICE!

Blackhawk556
05-09-2009, 2:42 AM
iIf these lawsuits are successful, California gun owners will gain tremendous respect from the rest of the country. They laughed at us first, but we will have the last laugh. :King::44:

artherd
05-09-2009, 4:41 AM
I try to avoid tooting my own horn, but I've gotta say: Not too shabby for a fledgling ragtag organization under a year old, with no employees!

My parents, no friends of about anything California represents, were pretty impressed with the fact that California gun owners seem to be a rowdy bunch of malcontents who don't seem to take orders well.

"I don't like being told 'no' " - Me. :D

Needs a slogan.

"The Calguns Foundation: Teaching Deputy Attorney Generals the law, since 2008 :)"

supersonic
05-09-2009, 5:44 AM
vires ex plures

("strength from many")

Let's pray this all works out for the best & for what we, as a free people, are born with in this country: freedom in the 2A. Let's also pray that it doesn't become a plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose "situation.";)

GenLee
05-09-2009, 6:35 AM
You know, With all these "CG has changed" threads. Is it "going down hill" jargon. All we have to do is look around and see what a difference we have all made. Be it the CGN, CGF, or the "Right people" WE have all gained momentum in these most trying of times. Kudos from me to the entire CG community.

Ding126
05-09-2009, 8:25 AM
In the past year, I have seen more pro-gun progress in Ca than I have seen in 20 years. I tip my hat to all parties involved and especially to the Calguns people.

AggregatVier
05-09-2009, 9:42 AM
In the book "The Postman" the surviving forces of science and civilization in Oregon are being beseiged by barbarians from the south. But what is driving the barbarians northward are soldiers from a civilization even further south who are fighting for their freedom and independence. On each soldier's shoulder they wear the California Bear flag.

I had no idea the book was prophetic. Maybe we should start proudly wearing a flag patch ourselves to symbolize our struggle?

SimpleCountryActuary
05-09-2009, 9:08 PM
In the book "The Postman" the surviving forces of science and civilization in Oregon are being beseiged by barbarians from the south. But what is driving the barbarians northward are soldiers from a civilization even further south who are fighting for their freedom and independence. On each soldier's shoulder they wear the California Bear flag.

I had no idea the book was prophetic. Maybe we should start proudly wearing a flag patch ourselves to symbolize our struggle?

I would buy some. Seriously. The restoration of the California Republic has started on Calguns. Perhaps someday an ad on Gunbroker.com will say:

"Sales ONLY to California". :thumbsup:

"Our sturdy Golden Bear is watching from the sky
Looks down upon our colors fair
And guards us from his lair
Our banner Gold and Blue
The symbol on it too
Means Fight! for California
For California through and through."

bluthandwerk
05-09-2009, 9:13 PM
I proudly wear my (subdued) Bear Flag patch on my jacket every day :D