PDA

View Full Version : AW and LE related question...

johnsta
05-08-2009, 2:34 PM
Hello all! I appreciate all the good info that this forum brings. This is my first Post!

I am in Utah right now finishing up college. I will most likely return to my hometown of California and am looking for a job in LE. Being in Utah, I have "collected" a few AR's. When I bring them to CA, I WILL do whatever to make them CA compliant. When I become a LEO somewhere, would I still need to get approved by the chief (or whoever does that) to register it for LE use since I already have it? Would it be easier since I already own my own to register it as a LEO?

I am looking into a few different departments. One of them is Los Angeles Sheriff Department. Does LASD allow approved officers to carry their own AR's if they buy them? I understand such a huge department wouldn't be able to afford all those AR's. But what if I already have one/buy my own? (Sorry if this is a dumb question. Utah has awesome firearms laws so maybe I am just used to a gun friendly state...)

Any recommendations for AR friendly departments?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your time!

John

Matt C
05-08-2009, 2:36 PM
LASD? Heh, in 5 1/2 years when you get out of the jails who knows what the policy will be.

masameet
05-08-2009, 2:51 PM
Five and half years doing jail duty for new deputies?

I thought it was like one or two years, with the option of doing it forever if you screw up.

fuegoslow
05-08-2009, 2:56 PM
Do you have a Utah CCW? Reason I ask is because I applied to LAPD and my Utah CCW was frowned upon. Needless to say, that's where my background check ended.

Matt C
05-08-2009, 2:59 PM

I thought it was like one or two years, with the option of doing it forever if you screw up.

I heard it's 5 now, I could very well be wrong. I counted 6 months of academy time also. I didn't count the year of background check time.

johnsta
05-08-2009, 3:15 PM
Do you have a Utah CCW? Reason I ask is because I applied to LAPD and my Utah CCW was frowned upon. Needless to say, that's where my background check ended.

Shoot, yes I do! You were frowned upon for being a Law abiding citizen eh...hmmm Maybe I should find another department. I have a great connection there though....

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 6:00 PM

It totally depends on what station you want to go to and what gender you are. Females move out fast to almost all the stations and bureaus. If you a re a male you can be out in a couple of years if you will take Palmdale for example. If you want to hold out for a more coveted station it can take you 5 or 6 years or even more.

I say get out, get off training and then work on a transfer.

Trendkill
05-08-2009, 9:19 PM
Shoot, yes I do! You were frowned upon for being a Law abiding citizen eh...hmmm Maybe I should find another STATE

That outta cover it.

JK of course.....

Seriously though....this is why I would hope that individuals like you "would" get accepted...work their way up through the chain of command and help out the cause.

Good Luck

Trendkill
05-08-2009, 9:20 PM
It totally depends on what station you want to go to and what gender you are. Females move out fast to almost all the stations and bureaus. If you a re a male you can be out in a couple of years if you will take Palmdale for example. If you want to hold out for a more coveted station it can take you 5 or 6 years or even more.

I say get out, get off training and then work on a transfer.

Palmdale.....wow its hot as hell there. I kinda like the city though...its very low key.

CaliTheKid
05-08-2009, 9:26 PM
...Lancaster is another quick choice.

tyrist
05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
You need to pick a less desirable area to patrol and you can get out of the jails/court quick.

Jonathan Doe
05-09-2009, 5:47 AM

If you choose Lancaster Station, you may get out of jail duty earlier. I have met some deputies at Lancaster Station, who told me they went to patrol in 6 months.

johnsta
05-09-2009, 8:31 AM
In LA sheriff can you buy your own M4?

CaliTheKid
05-09-2009, 8:39 AM
Not yet --but-- if you use an AR in duty they are going to take it from you anyway. Personally I'd rather have them take their own gun.

johnsta
05-09-2009, 9:55 AM
Not yet --but-- if you use an AR in duty they are going to take it from you anyway. Personally I'd rather have them take their own gun.

You say "Not Yet", does that mean it could change?

Jonathan Doe
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
All LASD AR's are equipped with EOTechs. When I was an instructor, I have been advocating issuing AR's to the deputies, or let them buy and have them carry. But, no one cared for it. I still would like to see that happen. That way, at least the deputies will know the gun, and may take care of it better than armory rifles.

7222 Hawker
05-11-2009, 1:28 AM
Hello all! I appreciate all the good info that this forum brings. This is my first Post!

I am in Utah right now finishing up college. I will most likely return to my hometown of California and am looking for a job in LE. Being in Utah, I have "collected" a few AR's. When I bring them to CA, I WILL do whatever to make them CA compliant. When I become a LEO somewhere, would I still need to get approved by the chief (or whoever does that) to register it for LE use since I already have it? Would it be easier since I already own my own to register it as a LEO?

I am looking into a few different departments. One of them is Los Angeles Sheriff Department. Does LASD allow approved officers to carry their own AR's if they buy them? I understand such a huge department wouldn't be able to afford all those AR's. But what if I already have one/buy my own? (Sorry if this is a dumb question. Utah has awesome firearms laws so maybe I am just used to a gun friendly state...)

Any recommendations for AR friendly departments?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your time!

John

Bro - go CHP. It is a harder hiring process but worth the wait. You can move anywhere, work any type of job and no jail time. Dope, Air, Traffic, Gangs, you name it. You just have to move where the openings are. The other departments are great, don't get me wrong, and I would follow them through hell in a gasoline suit if they needed me but long term you are better being able to move.

trendar5
05-11-2009, 1:49 AM
The manufacturer of your lowers will also determine whether or not you can make them CA compliant. You can make a Sig or Robinson CA compliant, but not a Colt.

Ron-Solo
05-11-2009, 6:11 PM
LASD is considering allowing deputies to carry their own ARs, but it takes a while to change a big department. 20+ years ago when I worked one of our mountain cars we were allowed to carry our own, but that changed when one guy did something stupid, so they took it away.