PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a Rifle (in a locked case) in a Roadster.

hkusp9c
05-08-2009, 8:58 AM
As you guys may already know, you can't really put anything inside the trunk of a roadster. so it's most likely I'll have to lock the case and put it on the passenger seat right next to me with the top down (if necessary). Is this considered legal? unloaded rifle locked in a case on a passenger seat inside the car?
And no I will not be getting another car that has a big enough trunk space.

Thank you for your response :thumbsup:

hoffmang
05-08-2009, 9:04 AM
As long as a long gun is unloaded, it is legal. Arguably you may have to lock it to knowingly transit through 1000' of a school zone.

However, I would try to find an innocuous case or throw a blanket over it. An obvious gun case allows a LEO to inspect it for being unloaded.

-Gene

SeanCasey
05-08-2009, 9:20 AM
Well you should have posted pictures of your roadster dang it!

Anyhow, being locked in a case shouldn't be an issue at all, and I imagine that even if it wasn't locked you would fine as long as you stay away from school zones.

I have Solstice GXP and my Mosin Nagant 91/59 fits perfectly in the trunk (a 91/30 however would not... and yes they do actually have a trunk, my wife and I fit three days vacation worth of stuff in the trunk with the top down)

luckylogger6
05-08-2009, 9:34 AM
What...No gun rack in the roadster?

paul0660
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in
paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written
permission of the school district superintendent, his or her
designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as
specified in subdivision (f).
(c) Subdivision (b) shall not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private
property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private
property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the
firearm is otherwise lawful.
(2) The firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container
or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section shall not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

So, carry your long gun as you like. I wouldn't pull over while in the school zone, and I would try to conceal the long gun, especially in a roadster.

Cobrafreak
05-08-2009, 9:00 PM
Here is MY roadster. The boot is too small for my hard gun cases but I fit my rifles in the soft cases locked in back just fine. Don't mess with the COBRA:43:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/IMG_0256.jpg

SeanCasey
05-08-2009, 9:03 PM
I have always loved the Cobra... So, what engine do you have in there?

elrcastor
05-09-2009, 6:30 AM
Here is MY roadster. The boot is too small for my hard gun cases but I fit my rifles in the soft cases locked in back just fine. Don't mess with the COBRA:43:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/IMG_0256.jpg

Nice picture of your Cobra with the Golden Gate.

Cobrafreak
05-09-2009, 6:44 AM
A very high output 5.0 running around 350hp. It accelerates quick. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Top speed 152mph. 25mpg hwy in overdrive 5th. Here is a picture of the new paint job with me running it at the racetrack.http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/P5160033.jpg

SimpleCountryActuary
05-09-2009, 8:23 PM
Nice picture of your Cobra with the Golden Gate.

Why are those Maroons taking pictures of that orange metal thing and not the Cobra?

BTW, I was in the Lowell High Jr. ROTC and I would have taken pictures of the car (I apologize for calling it a "car") before taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge. :)

aplinker
05-09-2009, 8:28 PM
So, carry your long gun as you like. I wouldn't pull over while in the school zone, and I would try to conceal the long gun, especially in a roadster.

The mentioned school zone issue is Federal - where it must be locked in a gun rack or locked away (case/trunk).

M. Sage
05-09-2009, 9:22 PM
I used to just sling mine behind the seats.

bg
05-10-2009, 8:00 AM
That thing is just beggin' for a mini gun..

greenpea76
05-10-2009, 8:24 AM
What...No gun rack in the roadster?

I'd say put a roll bar in that roadster and display that rack proudly along with a confederate flag plastered on the hood.:43:

bigcalidave
05-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd say put a roll bar in that roadster and display that rack proudly along with a confederate flag plastered on the hood.:43:

ROFL... Is this Georgia? Badass!