PDA

View Full Version : Confused by Cali's AK laws...

scc1909
05-08-2009, 9:33 AM
I'd like to build a California-compliant AK47, but am confused by what I read, and hope you guys can clarify the situation for me. Oh, and I understand that any answers are NOT legal advice. :thumbsup:

The basic concept is legal here, right?

Is an underslung folding stock legal here? (I like the looks of those, and an out-of-state friend who's built a bunch of AKs has a Hungarian kit he'll help me build...it looks like this kit, but without the forward pistol grip...wrap-around wood instead.)
http://www.ak-47.us/pic/parts/0-partkit-036.jpg

Maximum 10-rounds allowed in the clip, right? (My friend says we can put a permanent blocking plate in the clip to restrict it to 10 rounds.)

Anything else you can think of? I don't want to do anything illegal, even accidentally.

Thanks!

Rukus
05-08-2009, 9:38 AM
In order to keep the folding stock as a folder you would need to extend the muzzle so that when the stock is folded the overall length of the firearm is 30" or greater. Otherwise you must fix the stock so it cannot fold and make sure that in this configuration the OAL is 30" or greater. And you are on the right track with a 10 round limit, but it would be in the Magazine. Not a clip.

Also dont forget the maglock.

HunterJim
05-08-2009, 9:46 AM
Part of the desired function of California's gun laws is to confuse the citizens so they will give up gun ownership as more trouble than it is worth.

jim

HotRails
05-08-2009, 9:46 AM
Doesnt the AMD-65 qualify as an SBR without a permanently attached muzzle brake?

scc1909
05-08-2009, 9:50 AM
Good point about the length...I totally missed that when I was trying to decode the DoJ website... ;)

I'm unclear on the clip vs magazine thing, too, as I thought AKs came with clips.

Maglock?

pwall
05-08-2009, 9:52 AM
Cali gun laws are very complex..
Dont expect to figure it out in 5 minutes...

HotRails
05-08-2009, 9:59 AM
16 inch barrel length is a federal requirement, unless you get the NFA tax stamp. 30 inch overall length is a CA requirement.

peepshowal
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Good point about the length...I totally missed that when I was trying to decode the DoJ website... ;)

I'm unclear on the clip vs magazine thing, too, as I thought AKs came with clips.

Maglock?

Written very succinctly from everyones favorite Wikipedia: "The term clip is commonly but erroneously used to describe a firearm magazine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearm)). A clip is used to feed a magazine, while a magazine or a belt is used to load cartridges into the chamber of a firearm."

An AK uses a magazine.

Python2
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Umnnn, negative. Clips are use to make your wife/gf look pretty.:) Magazine is for the AK to make it look pretty and scary:thumbsup:

SKSer
05-08-2009, 9:29 PM
you need to read the CA AW flowchart to understand the law, take your time and read it to understand it because if an LEO comes up to you to take your cali Legal AK away, dont expect to just say, "well i read it on calguns and they said it was legal". You need to understand your rights.

let me see if i can give you a cliff notes version of the laws so you understand a little better for the time being.

the first thing you need to understand is what makes a rifle, which is a reciever. the reciever is like a frame of a car. If you take a chevy frame and put all ford parts on it, then you have a CHEVY with all ford parts, not a ford.

In california rifles are banned by two ways either being on a 1. "banned list"
or by 2. generic "AW" features.

the DOJ used to be able to say if your rifle looks like an AK to us then it is banned, then in the recent past, the DOJ was forced to ban guns by make and model. so let me see if I can give you an example.

a " Colt AR-15" Is on the ban list, and is illegal. Take all the parts off this gun and you still have a Colt AR-15 bare lower reciever, which is still a illegal firearm in california.

a "Stag-15" lower reciever is virtually identical to a "Colt AR-15" lower reciever and is legal in california because it is not on the list. So now take all your Colt parts and put them on your Stag-15 and you now have a California legal rifle as long as it conforms with the generic AW law. which is a list of features your gun is not allowed to have (read up on it) but the just is generally this: If you want a detachable magazine, then yoou have to get rid of the pistol grip, or if you want the pistol grip (most people want), then you cannot have a detachable mag (without the use of a tool).

Now to move to an AK type rifle. you cannot own an "AK-47" in california, but what you can own is a NDS-3 reciever (manufactured by nodak spud) put together with AK parts (plus required US parts to make it 922R compliant, read up on this.) to make a california legal rifle because you own a NDS-3, not an AK. or you can make your own reciever (read up on homebuilding and its legalities) and name it a Poop-1 and assemble it with AK parts. Then just comply with the "Generic AW features law". and you can have a california legal AK.

anyone please feel free to ad or correct as necessary, but this is the "just" of it.

vandal
05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
AMD65 has about a 12.5" barrel. There are lengthened AMD-65 brakes floating around that when permanently attached bring the barrel length to >16" as required by federal law.

To retain the pistol grip you would need some type of bullet button and 10-round magazines.

Even with all that you still need to keep it 30" OAL. You would need to pin the stock open because CA measures OAL with folding stocks folded. I don't know of any muzzle devices long enough to bring the AMD65 to 30" OAL with the stock folded. The AMD65 does not have a bayonet lug so that option is out.

The AMD-65 does make a decent pistol.

Below is a AMD-65 pistol with bullet button and 10/20 magazine (20rd body blocked to 10 rounds):
http://contentproviders.com/dwimages/amd65p2.jpg

Amacias805
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Im surprised that no one has posted the flowchart here!

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

so if check the flowchart. its a great start!

after you have a basic understanding

read the full version -
http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

then like someone previously mentioned, since your considering building an Ak type. it will need to be "922r compliance" which is a little more a search
------------

however, if you wanna skip the build you can pick one up from
here & save your self a bunch of hassel. (i would still suggest you learn and know the flow chart)

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/category.sc;jsessionid=37846D82A338647E699CFD43801 1DA20.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=17
-----------

i hope this helps you out

fourZero
05-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Henderson no longer makes "real" AKs due to lack of quality parts kits. I purchased an AK-101 (NDS-3 + Yugo) from them about 2 years ago and inquired about purchasing another, and was told that all they are doing now is selling "certified" WASR rifles. Not exactly AKs.

Amacias805
05-09-2009, 6:22 PM
Henderson no longer makes "real" AKs due to lack of quality parts kits. I purchased an AK-101 (NDS-3 + Yugo) from them about 2 years ago and inquired about purchasing another, and was told that all they are doing now is selling "certified" WASR rifles. Not exactly AKs.

I know, i was just suggesting something that might be easier than building one.

i also failed to mention that he could also buy and convert a Saiga, and just make it 922r compliant which would be a better, (slightly more expensive) than a Wasr.