PDA

View Full Version : Study: Most Liberal States are Least Free

FelixP
05-08-2009, 6:28 AM
Woke up and saw this in my news feed this morning. Surprise!

Link (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/free_states_study/2009/05/06/211385.html?utm_medium=RSS)

Untamed1972
05-08-2009, 7:39 AM
Yeah.....I've said that for years. CA....a state commonly associated with the "do your own thing" moto is one of the most over regulated states in the country.

I think it's time to come up with a new term besides "Liberal" because that just doesn't seem to capture the truth of the left's mentality anymore.

Theseus
05-08-2009, 8:00 AM
Yeah, in California you can do whatever you want, as long as it is what they want you to do. Actually, I just read this and it is surprisingly honest and from what I can tell they tried to be pretty un-biased.

The problem, because the result produced a liberal negative view it will be ignored as biased.

HunterJim
05-08-2009, 8:22 AM
California could save us a lot of money by not replicating federal regulations at the state level and duplicating bureaucrats.

I looked for the report on the originator's website but did not find it. Anybody with a link to the report?...thanks...jim

lioneaglegriffin
05-08-2009, 8:27 AM
sorry don't do newsmax links.

rabagley
05-08-2009, 8:36 AM
Watch out, that's libertarian spin there. There are a lot of people on this board who are, ahem, a bit further to the right than that.

HunterJim
05-08-2009, 8:48 AM

Is that an example of the dreaded thread crapping?

jim

sgtlmj
05-08-2009, 8:56 AM
Here's a direct link to the study:

http://www.mercatus.org/PublicationDetails.aspx?id=26154

I downloaded it when it came out back in Feb-March, and found it very informative. Regardless of what you think of Newsmax for doing their own story on it, the study is unbiased and based on commonly available statistics and demographics. Odd that Newsmax didn't link to it though.

HunterJim
05-08-2009, 9:47 AM
sgtlmg,

Thanks for the link...

lcdrjld

CAL.BAR
05-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes but curiously you will also immediately see that those are the states that the largest number of people chose to live in! (or looked at another way, those are the most regulated b/c they have millions of people crammed into them and you can't do and act like you are out on your MT ranch) When (like MT) you have less than a million people living in the 4th largest state in the union, it really doesn't matter what you do b/c you're going to have to drive two hours to find someone to do it to!

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I think it's time to come up with a new term besides "Liberal" because that just doesn't seem to capture the truth of the left's mentality anymore. Lots of us have been calling them communists for years.

evan69
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
The victimless crimes part is HUGE.

rysmithjr
05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Lots of us have been calling them communists for years.

yeah, and you wonder why no progress has been made?

Shotgun Man
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Never heard of newsmax. Is there something wrong with them?

Sam
05-08-2009, 12:17 PM

I don't know of a better term for such knuckleheads.

The study is pretty interesting. thanks!

Roadrunner
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Communism is like the term progressive, it's a euphemism for Marxism or Leninism. There's nothing community oriented or communal about it.

colossians323
05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Here's a direct link to the study:

http://www.mercatus.org/PublicationDetails.aspx?id=26154

I downloaded it when it came out back in Feb-March, and found it very informative. Regardless of what you think of Newsmax for doing their own story on it, the study is unbiased and based on commonly available statistics and demographics. Odd that Newsmax didn't link to it though.

Sorry, don't do direct links that have been posted up on newsmax:rolleyes:

nicki
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM

We should not be calling "Liberals" communists even though I know they get a A+ for following the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto:rolleyes:

I think that has become "counter productive" for us.

I think the term "Statist" or "Authoritarian" is more approprate.

Probably half the "Liberals" out their potentially could evolve into "Libertarians" if someone showed them the light and if that doesn't work, well, there is the 2 by 4 solution:43:

I deal with my share of liberals in my daily life and I and when I discuss guns, many have never heard our position and why.

Every liberal we turn also gets us one to two fencesitters in the process.

Nicki

CnCFunFactory
05-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah.....I've said that for years. CA....a state commonly associated with the "do your own thing" moto is one of the most over regulated states in the country.

I think it's time to come up with a new term besides "Liberal" because that just doesn't seem to capture the truth of the left's mentality anymore.

How about "oppressed" instead of "liberal" ?

chris
05-08-2009, 1:27 PM

that is the state we live in a communist one.

KWA-S
05-08-2009, 1:54 PM
I like "Authoritarian," actually...sometimes it feels like California's government thinks its our nanny, choosing what it thinks is best for us. "I know whats good for you better than you do," etc.

lioneaglegriffin
05-08-2009, 2:02 PM
Is that an example of the dreaded thread crapping?

jim

i like to think that i would be crapping on a site full of yellow journalism. the thread is fine and i cannot contribute to this thread (i was going to if it had been a blog or something simular i.e reason.com) because im not going to give that site a hit from me.

Texas Boy
05-08-2009, 2:18 PM
Yes but curiously you will also immediately see that those are the states that the largest number of people chose to live in! (or looked at another way, those are the most regulated b/c they have millions of people crammed into them and you can't do and act like you are out on your MT ranch) When (like MT) you have less than a million people living in the 4th largest state in the union, it really doesn't matter what you do b/c you're going to have to drive two hours to find someone to do it to!

I have long believed that population density directly correlates with crime rate and oppressive legislation. It seems like a basic law - the denser the population, the more opportunity for someone to tread on someone else. And in this denser population there will be more outcry by people seeking government protection - hence more oppressive legislation. Look at places with even higher population density than NYC, LA, or Chicago (try China, HK, Taiwan, India, etc) and look how even more oppressive their laws are.

I fear as the population of the US continues to grow our individual rights (gun or otherwise) will continue to diminish.

And can someone please explain the problem with newsmax? I've never heard of this site and would like to understand past history or experiences that make newsmax a less credible source than our other biased sources like CNN, MSN, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc...thanks!

CAL.BAR
05-08-2009, 3:11 PM
I have long believed that population density directly correlates with crime rate and oppressive legislation. It seems like a basic law - the denser the population, the more opportunity for someone to tread on someone else. And in this denser population there will be more outcry by people seeking government protection - hence more oppressive legislation. Look at places with even higher population density than NYC, LA, or Chicago (try China, HK, Taiwan, India, etc) and look how even more oppressive their laws are.

I fear as the population of the US continues to grow our individual rights (gun or otherwise) will continue to diminish.

And can someone please explain the problem with newsmax? I've never heard of this site and would like to understand past history or experiences that make newsmax a less credible source than our other biased sources like CNN, MSN, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc...thanks!

EXACTLY! You can't live in LA like you live in MT or WY etc. It is a simple law of physics. Gun laws are no different. More people = more crime = more people afraid of crime = more people in favor of gun control. And you're right, the loss (or extreme curtailment) of gun rights is inexorable as our population surges. Hell, how many hours do yo have to drive from downtown LA just to find a piece of open land upon which to fire a rifle?

Super Spy
05-08-2009, 3:55 PM
Texas, Colorado, and Oregon seem like the places to be, though good luck finding a job in Oregon!

Prc329
05-08-2009, 4:10 PM
On personal freedoms, California does well of course on same-sex partnerships and marijuana, but it also has the most restrictive gun laws in the country, a highly restrictive policy regime for motorists, and smoking bans. Arrests for victimless crimes are surprisingly high, with 21.6 percent of all arrests being for victimless crimes, the fifth highest in the country.

I find that quote very interesting.

HunterJim
05-08-2009, 4:59 PM
Examining how encumbered we are in California by the over-burdensome regulation enacted by our Legislature, it is pretty obvious just how difficult it will be to throw off these chains.

Each area of regulation has regulators and constituents who will fight to keep it.

Probably time to move out of this mess.

jim

sgtlmj
05-08-2009, 5:22 PM
Sorry, don't do direct links that have been posted up on newsmax:rolleyes:

;) :thumbsup:

Bad Voodoo
05-08-2009, 9:07 PM

How about FERC?

Fascist Entitlement Ruling Class.

DDT
05-08-2009, 9:27 PM
i like to think that i would be crapping on a site full of yellow journalism. the thread is fine and i cannot contribute to this thread (i was going to if it had been a blog or something simular i.e reason.com) because im not going to give that site a hit from me.

So now that you have the direct link feel free to drop the newsmax diatribe and contribute to the thread.

I had never heard of the Mercatus Center, I look forward to checking out more of their stuff. It is interesting that Austrian economics is listed so prominently on their site. It would be nice to have a source for scholarly writings from an Austrian Economics perspective.

cousinkix1953
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
There might be an excepotion for the peoples' republik of Vermont. They have no gun control laws, except for those that were shoved down their throats by Congress. They have no waiting periods and no permits if you want to carry a concealed handgun or wear it on a belt holster. Everybody just buys a gun, does the NICS check and walks out the door,

There is no assault weapons ban there. Bill Clinton had to sue several sheriffs just to enforce the Brady Law law. And just last week, you heard that the hypocritical mentally unstable anti-gun lawyer, who handled that case, blew his brains out with a revolver...

HunterJim
05-09-2009, 7:45 AM
I had never heard of the Mercatus Center, I look forward to checking out more of their stuff. It is interesting that Austrian economics is listed so prominently on their site. It would be nice to have a source for scholarly writings from an Austrian Economics perspective.

The Austrian School is well-known in economics, see for example:

http://mises.org/

jim

hawk81
05-09-2009, 8:30 AM
The word liberal is miss used today. These states aren't liberal, they are controlling fascists.

05-09-2009, 9:27 AM
Never heard of newsmax. Is there something wrong with them?

Absolutely. They are not part of the Soros Liberal Propaganda Machine.
Some people have severe allergies to consumption of anything that is not Statist or neo-Marxist.

CAL.BAR
05-09-2009, 9:45 AM
There might be an excepotion for the peoples' republik of Vermont. They have no gun control laws, except for those that were shoved down their throats by Congress. They have no waiting periods and no permits if you want to carry a concealed handgun or wear it on a belt holster. Everybody just buys a gun, does the NICS check and walks out the door,

There is no assault weapons ban there. Bill Clinton had to sue several sheriffs just to enforce the Brady Law law. And just last week, you heard that the hypocritical mentally unstable anti-gun lawyer, who handled that case, blew his brains out with a revolver...

Not a particularly crowded state right? (also incredibly white and upper middle class to stinking rich I believe)

Nanook
05-09-2009, 10:09 AM
OK, seriously, at least three people have spoken disparagingly about newsmax, and I still have no idea why. Are they an anti-RKBA organization or something? Does their site have annoying pop up ads? What is wrong with them?

Roadrunner
05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Newsmax (www.newsmax.com) is a conservative news service along the same lines as Fox News.

cousinkix1953
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
OK, seriously, at least three people have spoken disparagingly about newsmax, and I still have no idea why. Are they an anti-RKBA organization or something? Does their site have annoying pop up ads? What is wrong with them?
I don't think so. Surely not with people like col. Geoff Metcalf on their staff of columnists...