PDA

View Full Version : FN 57

highside880
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Whats your take on the Fn five seven ? Went to Irvington Arms and they had 2 in stock. Neat looking gun but....

dchang0
05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Ammo is too pricey, even at pre-election prices. Bu-ut, if you happen to own a PS90 or AR57, it's nice to be able to shoot both on a single cartridge at some indoor pistol ranges. And the penetration capabilities and high-capacity of the FiveseveN are outstanding--not that the high-capacity means much to us until Nordyke incorporation and following lawsuits knock the 10rnd mag limit off the books.

It's also nice that the FiveseveNs are very light and have very easily-managed recoil. I've considered getting one because I'm sitting on a stash of 5.7 ammo, but then what would I do after I run out? 5.7 ammo is sold out at most bulk sellers, and it could be a year or more before they catch up, because FN refuses to license the cartridge to other ammo companies.

springy101
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
A year or two ago I read a story about a guy who's 5-7 exploded in his hands and he later was checking over the gun and found it was firing up to about 1/4" out of battery. That really strayed me away from it.

sv_1
05-08-2009, 1:47 AM
I have one, and it's kinda meh... I like it okay, but don't love it. I got it to give to my brother for his graduation present.

Ammo prices aren't that bad considering recent trends with other calibers.

I believe that guy was using reloads, no?

jammer2k
05-08-2009, 7:42 AM
A year or two ago I read a story about a guy who's 5-7 exploded in his hands and he later was checking over the gun and found it was firing up to about 1/4" out of battery. That really strayed me away from it.

It turns out that wasn't the case, he was using reloaded ammo.

As for the OP, they are fun guns and yes the ammo prices are on the high side. If you have the money to burn I would say go for it.

HKDoc
05-08-2009, 8:20 AM
hey they used it in battlestar galactica so it must be cool.

seriously, cabelas has 5.7 ammo in stock now. if you search around you can get it about 37 cents a round. the local dealer is not going to carry it. you will have to stock up.

grip is long and if you have small hands, its not going to work. it is also very light. I really want to get one, because I have a ps90 also. but my groups with it are all over the place maybe 12" at 25 yards. I did much better with a glock, about 4-5" free hand. good shooters, not like me, report hitting steel targets consistently at 100yards with the pistol.

maschronic
05-08-2009, 8:36 AM
hey they used it in battlestar galactica so it must be cool.

seriously, cabelas has 5.7 ammo in stock now. if you search around you can get it about 37 cents a round. the local dealer is not going to carry it. you will have to stock up.

grip is long and if you have small hands, its not going to work. it is also very light. I really want to get one, because I have a ps90 also. but my groups with it are all over the place maybe 12" at 25 yards. I did much better with a glock, about 4-5" free hand. good shooters, not like me, report hitting steel targets consistently at 100yards with the pistol.

maybe what you need is a 22lr handgun. that might help you to shoot better. then move up to a 9mm or something else. you might be flinching.

HKDoc
05-08-2009, 8:40 AM
my friend who is retired ex military is working with me. want to get 22lr pistol too, been eyeing several hammerli trailside pistols.... 22lr ammo is getting harder to find too locally. my 5.7 ammo order shipped right away from cabelas. go figure.

DDRH
05-08-2009, 8:56 AM
FsN is a badass gun! Ammo, isn't too expensive, it's just a bit harder to come by.

I've read most of the reviews, but still decided to buy one. They're awesome, and would make a great collectors item, IMHO.

How much were they at IA?

for good ammo prices, you can check out:

www.truehuntersupply.com

Robert's got good deals on SS197, and he's awesome to work with.

The 5.7 is a controversial round, and handgun from what i've read, but hey, i like it, so it's my decision to purchase it. ballistics or not, if you aim right, you're intended target is down n out!

:thumbsup:

Turbinator
05-08-2009, 9:05 AM
Somewhat different question here, would you guys feel comfortable using 5.7mm as a home defense round?

Turby

DDRH
05-08-2009, 9:13 AM
i would, definitely feel comfortable using my FsN for home defense. bullets, supposedly will not penetrate sheet rock as much as buck shot, or 9mm, .40, .45, handgun ammo...but that's only from what i've read, no experience.

Turbinator
05-08-2009, 9:22 AM
i would, definitely feel comfortable using my FsN for home defense. bullets, supposedly will not penetrate sheet rock as much as buck shot, or 9mm, .40, .45, handgun ammo...but that's only from what i've read, no experience.

Perhaps some Chinese sheet rock testing is in order. I'm sure you can find lots of it out there for free. :)

Turby

DDRH
05-08-2009, 9:25 AM
there's an article on the FsN, i forgot what magazine it is, if i have time i'll scan it and post it...but some cops did research with sheet rock, and it did fairly well.

someone gotta remind me to post that article, and i gotta find the magazine too...LoL

Z ME FLY
05-08-2009, 9:28 AM
I believe if you look on youtube, you can find people shooting their FN57 at phonebooks and wood. I think from what I remember compared to the 9mm the 5.7 went deeper into the phone book...

Z ME FLY
05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgXK8SOpvpc

floorance
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I own an IOM, to put it,

1.ammo is not cheap,(but not too expensive)
2.If you have small hands you will have a hard time holding it

I had some trouble shooting it when I first got it, but once you adjust to it, it will shoot nicely. I say the most bothersome issue is finding the ammo, at times its damn near impossible Gun is light, fun to shoot, and its quite unique, I have no issues using it as a "defensive" gun if it came to be. Any gun is better then no gun ..unless its a Hi-Point :thumbsup:

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp178/bauzubau/P1070794.jpg

DDRH
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
i've got small hands, but i also have skinny hands, so i'm guessing it's not all bad for me. Small but skinny hands, the skinny part helps me reach around the grip better, than if you had hands a lil bigger but, fat fingers.

Kinda like riding a motorcycle, u can be my height but don't mean your feet'll touch the ground, depends how fat/skinny you are, make sense? anyone?

:p

masameet
05-08-2009, 1:07 PM
The Five-seveN has a long trigger pull. Which takes some getting used to. Field stripping takes like four steps. It's a fun gun and easy to shoot several full magazines in a matter of seconds. If you can get the two-toned one (khaki colored?), get that one. You'll have one Five-seveN that few of us have.

At last Saturday's Cow Palace gun show a friend pointed out ammo for it. The big sign said: "2000 rounds for $1000." He thought it was a good price until I said last Dec. you could get a thousand rounds for less than $300.

1Shewter
05-08-2009, 1:20 PM
I think the gun is amazing. Unfortunately, it is neutered in california.

Usually it holds 20+1... :(

But as for the performance, the gun is very light, very VERY manageable, and very accurate.

The round comes out at about 2300 FPS... WOOOOOW!

The bullet is designed to forward tumble upon impact so you can use it as a defense pistol without worrying too much about collateral damage.

The original intent for this pistol however, was meant to be a mid-range battle pistol. Not your AVERAGE side-arm.

DDRH
05-08-2009, 1:33 PM
Elite Ammunition, i've read has ammo compared to the MIL/LEO that FN only sells to

DDRH
05-08-2009, 2:19 PM
The Five-seveN has a long trigger pull. Which takes some getting used to. Field stripping takes like four steps. It's a fun gun and easy to shoot several full magazines in a matter of seconds. If you can get the two-toned one (khaki colored?), get that one. You'll have one Five-seveN that few of us have.

At last Saturday's Cow Palace gun show a friend pointed out ammo for it. The big sign said: "2000 rounds for $1000." He thought it was a good price until I said last Dec. you could get a thousand rounds for less than $300.

i felt the FsN has a short trigger pull, but that's compared to my MP45, and my HKP2K...what're u comparing the trigger pull to? Just curious, i've only been a firearm owner for a short time.

:confused:

akspetsnaz
05-08-2009, 2:23 PM
Get it!

MontClaire
05-08-2009, 2:33 PM
I used to have one and then I dropped it on my hardwood floor in my SF home. Nothing to my wood but the frame fell without the magazine and the piece of plastic ( 1/2 x 1/16 inches ) chipped off the frame. Just a cosmetic blemish but I sold it right away. I had one of the first ones in CA. And I waited for it to be available in our state for some time. Been following all the magazines and all the internet info. So when i finally bought it....well, I realise that in order for this ammo to be accurate- it must be of a slower speed. Then why do i need a slower speed light weight projectile that doesn't have enough mass to penetrate light cover? I am not even talking about body armor. Now... the 2000 fps rounds SS195 I think Are excellent, but they are made to be fired from P90 which has longer barrel. making your shots accurate. With FN 5.7 pistol it was a hard thing to do.
I felt more confident with TT in 7.62x25 able to get under any level II vest.
Hope it helps.

masameet
05-08-2009, 6:19 PM
i felt the FsN has a short trigger pull, but that's compared to my MP45, and my HKP2K...what're u comparing the trigger pull to? Just curious, i've only been a firearm owner for a short time.

:confused:

Well, not to worry. I'm female with medium-ish hands. So if you're a guy, and a big guy with fat fingers, the pull won't be so much.

For me, the trigger pull is similar to that of a S&W 642. Which means because it's longer than what I'm used to (Buck Mark .22 and S&W 1911 .45), I'm "staging"; to wit, "pulling the trigger rearward toward -- stopping just short of -- the point where the hammer falls and the handgun fires" (Source: My S&W Safety & Instruction Manual; Revolvers; Modern Style, p. 20; Rev.Rev_091207).

Don't mean to do that but at the point where I'm used to having the gun go BANG! it doesn't so I have to keep pulling back. That's what I mean by "long" trigger pull.

EDIT: Anyway even my firearms instructor, who's 6 foot something and maybe 210, thinks the Five-seveN trigger pull is "long."

DDRH
05-08-2009, 8:27 PM
Well, not to worry. I'm female with medium-ish hands. So if you're a guy, and a big guy with fat fingers, the pull won't be so much.

For me, the trigger pull is similar to that of a S&W 642. Which means because it's longer than what I'm used to (Buck Mark .22 and S&W 1911 .45), I'm "staging"; to wit, "pulling the trigger rearward toward -- stopping just short of -- the point where the hammer falls and the handgun fires" (Source: My S&W Safety & Instruction Manual; Revolvers; Modern Style, p. 20; Rev.Rev_091207).

Don't mean to do that but at the point where I'm used to having the gun go BANG! it doesn't so I have to keep pulling back. That's what I mean by "long" trigger pull.

EDIT: Anyway even my firearms instructor, who's 6 foot something and maybe 210, thinks the Five-seveN trigger pull is "long."

You're right about the 1911, that's what i had in mind. i've never shot a S&W642 so i can't say...heck i don't even remember what the 2 1911's i shot, felt like...ahaha. but, i do recall reading about many people who like the short 1911 trigger pull and reset.

good to know, thanks!:thumbsup:

what happened to the OP...oh, i better shutup now...:whistling:

blackfalcon
05-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I love my five seven. It is rather big but it shoots great. Low recoil and a big muzzle blast, scares people next to me. I don't think the ammo prices are too bad, compare to .45 or .40 caliber ammo. As far as home defense, I feel confident in the five seven round, much more so compared to a .380 round. The safety does take some getting use to and much different than the traditional thumb safety.