View Full Version : Shot the Marlin 795 today... not bad!

05-07-2009, 8:36 PM
So I decided to go to Metcalf and meet some fellow Calgunners this afternoon. I only brought the rimfires - Marlin 795 and the GSG-5. It took some time for me to get used to the iron sights of the 795 though, and the setup was at 50 yds. Because it was around 4'ish, there was a glare from the right side of the rear sight notch like a starburst, probably because of the shiny paint on it. Annoying as heck to me because I lose focus on the front. I'm not so used to the front sight being so small and so far compared to my ARs or GSG. Else my eyes were also getting tired from the silly glare. The Wally World bipod definitely sucks. not having a swivel is a little tough but I guess I'll keep it to keep the costs down on the plinker.

I started getting better on the iron sights though. The only issues I had later was that the bolt wasn't staying open after the last round is fired. Strange!!! It was locking earlier. Happens on all the magazines, and I didn't do anything to it. Instead, it becomes a dry fire at the end. Any thoughts what that could be? I only shot like 120 rd, 150 tops. I couldn't have broken something already from the breakin, could I? LOL

I guess I liked it more because oddly, I struggled with the GSG at the 50. I think I did field strip it last cleaning. My Vortex Strikefire was way off. I guess I gotta re-zero it again this weekend at Livermore Gun-n-Rod. I couldn't put a shot on a 6" shoot-n-c when I was able last time.

I can't wait to get my Meuller for this baby, and my Burris rings. I did way better than expected, especially compared to my GSG. 'Twas kinda fun with iron sights and probably could've done better if not for that glare. Looking forward to trying it again this weekend.

P.S. That trigger was indeed something to get adjusted to. Pretty heavy compared to my lame/softy GSG. Though I like how it breaks better than my GSG though.

05-07-2009, 8:39 PM
whats the price of one of these at big 5 out the door?

05-07-2009, 8:55 PM
whats the price of one of these at big 5 out the door?

i paid 149 on sale and was out the door at $188.xx (~$13.xx tax/ $25 DROS)

but im also sending in a $20 rebate so, like $168

05-07-2009, 9:09 PM
I paid $149.99.. then subtract $20 for rebate. Roughly $160 with DROS and Tax included. Hope I get that rebate check though! At least 1.3 boxes of ammo from Wally world. LOL