PDA

View Full Version : 5-9-2009 Gun Buyback

HowardW56
05-07-2009, 5:40 PM
Has anyone else thought about going to one of the gun buyback locations and offering to buy guns (using a proper PPT).

The city is only offering $100.00 per gun...

I wounder if I could stay out of jail... :rolleyes:

Musclemom
05-07-2009, 5:47 PM
It'd be mighty tempting if I lived closer. I do wonder what would come of it. You'll probably get harassed by antis who are bound to be present. I suppose there's really not anything they can do about it if the gun is legally owned by the person you're buying it from right?

HowardW56
05-07-2009, 5:50 PM
It'd be mighty tempting if I lived closer. I do wonder what would come of it. You'll probably get harassed by antis who are bound to be present. I suppose there's really not anything they can do about it if the gun is legally owned by the person you're buying it from right?

Thats what I was thinking...

All the people would have to do is be willing to accompany me to the closest FFL for the private party transfer...

tyrist
05-07-2009, 6:39 PM
most of the gun returned to those things are junk.

BigBamBoo
05-07-2009, 7:16 PM

Asphodel
05-07-2009, 7:18 PM
The really obvious thing to do would be to have several friends set up cars with big signs, on streets approaching the 'buy-back' event.

The signs could read "In California, it is legal to sell long guns (shotguns and rifles) to a private collector if they are 'curio and relic' over fifty years old. (We have a copy of the relevant California code here for reference)
We are private collectors who are willing to pay more....sometimes quite a bit more, and in cash.....for certain older rifles or shotguns. If you'd like, stop and let us make an offer, if your rifle or shotgun qualifies.

The sign might also say

'If what you have is a handgun, let us give you a valuation from the firearms 'Blue Book'. If yours is valuable, we will direct you to a dealer who can sell it for you, for more than you'll get at the buy-back, or we may make an offer for it, with the understanding that the actual sale must be handled through a licensed dealer'

cheers

Carla

HowardW56
05-07-2009, 7:32 PM
The really obvious thing to do would be to have several friends set up cars with big signs, on streets approaching the 'buy-back' event.

The signs could read "In California, it is legal to sell long guns (shotguns and rifles) to a private collector if they are 'curio and relic' over fifty years old. (We have a copy of the relevant California code here for reference)
We are private collectors who are willing to pay more....sometimes quite a bit more, and in cash.....for certain older rifles or shotguns. If you'd like, stop and let us make an offer, if your rifle or shotgun qualifies.

The sign might also say

'If what you have is a handgun, let us give you a valuation from the firearms 'Blue Book'. If yours is valuable, we will direct you to a dealer who can sell it for you, for more than you'll get at the buy-back, or we may make an offer for it, with the understanding that the actual sale must be handled through a licensed dealer'

cheers

Carla

Ithat is along the lines of what I was thinking... The long guns don't really interest me, I like old revolvers... :)

eflatminor
05-07-2009, 8:11 PM

The sign might also say

cheers

Carla

I too think that's a good idea. I had thought it would be appropriate to hand out copies of the BoRs or maybe a small primer on the 2nd. Doubt though many would get it. Hell, we'd be lucky if they could read.

HowardW56
05-07-2009, 8:12 PM
I too think that's a good idea. I had thought it would be appropriate to hand out copies of the BoRs or maybe a small primer on the 2nd. Doubt though many would get it. Hell, we'd be lucky if they could read.

Translate everything to 4th grade English, or Spanish...

bohoki
05-07-2009, 9:21 PM
it is prudent to stay far away from "gun amnesty turn-ins"

(never call them buybacks) it just doesn't make sense it implies that people only have them because the government allows you to have them

DDT
05-07-2009, 9:32 PM
A simple sign:

"Gun Buy Back? Get more for your gun TODAY. Ask me how!"

SKSer
05-07-2009, 9:41 PM

On the front page of my local paper a few weeks back they had a photo from the local buy back that took place the day before and it was a sheriff holding a nice little AR, I almost started crying, what a shame, although im fairly sure that AR didnt meet its end, it probably went into the trunk of some LEO's personal vehicle.

sorensen440
05-07-2009, 9:43 PM
Has anyone else thought about going to one of the gun buyback locations and offering to buy guns (using a proper PPT).

The city is only offering $100.00 per gun...

I wounder if I could stay out of jail... :rolleyes:
an organized effort would be awesome

gotgunz
05-07-2009, 9:47 PM
As previously stated on CalGuns; I did this at a similar event in Richmond many, many years ago.

The event was at a church and those people were pissed to no end!

The cops even asked me what I thought I was doing, LOL.

I scored big time on some very nice stuff! And was able to upset a large group of anti's in the process.

I would do it again but this one is too far away!

RobG
05-07-2009, 9:51 PM
On the front page of my local paper a few weeks back they had a photo from the local buy back that took place the day before and it was a sheriff holding a nice little AR, I almost started crying, what a shame, although im fairly sure that AR didnt meet its end, it probably went into the trunk of some LEO's personal vehicle.

Probably came from his trunk to begin with. What better way to show how they are making the streets safer.:rolleyes:

Midian
05-07-2009, 9:56 PM
An easier sign would read

YOU ARE BEING DISARMED
SO YOU ARE NO LONGER A THREAT

N6ATF
05-08-2009, 1:30 AM
:dupe: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171695&highlight=buyback

MrSigmaDOT40
05-08-2009, 5:03 AM
As previously stated on CalGuns; I did this at a similar event in Richmond many, many years ago.

The event was at a church and those people were pissed to no end!

The cops even asked me what I thought I was doing, LOL.

I scored big time on some very nice stuff! And was able to upset a large group of anti's in the process.

I would do it again but this one is too far away!

:eek: Wow, I'm with you if it happens again in the bay:thumbsup:

MrSigmaDOT40
05-08-2009, 5:06 AM
A simple sign:

+1 :thumbsup:

ad6mj
05-08-2009, 7:21 AM
Probably came from his trunk to begin with. What better way to show how they are making the streets safer.:rolleyes:

I agree these things are theatrical events.

tommyid1
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
where is it at.

steadyrock
05-08-2009, 12:40 PM
A simple sign:

I do like this. Simple works well. How about:

"FREE Gun Valuation HERE. Get Double Your Money or MORE on Qualified Guns. Ask us How!"

ChuckBooty
05-08-2009, 1:29 PM
How PRICELESS would it be for an FFL to set up a Lemonade Stand with a sign that says that they'll buy the guns for $125. And just load 'em all up in a big bucket...lol! Can you imagine the ruckus?!

DDT
05-08-2009, 1:55 PM
How PRICELESS would it be for an FFL to set up a Lemonade Stand with a sign that says that they'll buy the guns for $125. And just load 'em all up in a big bucket...lol! Can you imagine the ruckus?!

Well. That's pretty much what this whole thread has been about so yes, it would be funny. It might also save some great guns from being destroyed.

sorensen440
05-08-2009, 1:57 PM
who wants to protest wasteful spending ?

fuegoslow
05-08-2009, 2:24 PM
So...where is it at?

HowardW56
05-08-2009, 2:52 PM
where is it at.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/HowardW56/gunbuyback_FAQsheet_5-11_Page_1.jpg

socal2310
05-08-2009, 3:16 PM
Don't forget to offer cash instead of gift cards! No one would get into the other line without checking yours out first! :rofl2:

Ryan

CaliforniaCarry
05-08-2009, 4:58 PM
Do you think they'll accept AK receivers as "Assault Weapons"? Flat-bending time...

Also, Turners in Reseda is quite literally right down the street from the Reseda buyback location ;)

Xerxes
05-08-2009, 6:35 PM
Has anyone looked into the legality of gun buy backs in CA?

I mean a church, jeez......how do they get around the FFL requirement.

How can a PD buy personal firearms without an FFL since they are not firearms bought by the PD for business use, but instead for a political purpose.

Is it not illegal to us public funds for promoting a political agenda?

Especially for an attack on the 2nd ammendment.

SchooBaka
05-08-2009, 6:54 PM
What a great idea!
I'll start stashing some cash now for the next one in norcal. It'd be alot of fun to go crash one of these. Even if you don't get anything, the look on the anti's faces would be priceless.

Librarian
05-08-2009, 7:24 PM
How can a PD buy personal firearms without an FFL since they are not firearms bought by the PD for business use, but instead for a political purpose.

Is it not illegal to us public funds for promoting a political agenda?

There is an exception for gun buy-backs. Of course, having said that, I can't find it again ...:(

obeygiant
05-08-2009, 9:07 PM
There is an exception for gun buy-backs. Of course, having said that, I can't find it again ...:(

Would this be the one?

Penal Code Section 12078(a)(6)

(6) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 and subdivision (b) of
Section 12801 do not apply to sales, deliveries, or transfers of
firearms to authorized representatives of cities, cities and
counties, counties, or state or federal governments for those
governmental agencies where the entity is acquiring the weapon as
part of an authorized, voluntary program where the entity is buying
or receiving weapons from private individuals. Any weapons acquired
pursuant to this paragraph shall be disposed of pursuant to the
applicable provisions of Section 12028 or 12032.

cousinkix1953
05-08-2009, 9:39 PM
I don't think that I would buy them myself; but a sign suggesting that sellers try a gun shop first is a good idea. The LAPD Gun Unit might use it's Gestapo powers against a private citizen operating out of his car. No commercial business license and no state franchise tax board paperwork. You're f------...

gotgunz
05-08-2009, 9:40 PM
Perhaps a sign at the buyback near the school reading:

"You are being set up! It's a trap! Bringing a gun within 1000' of a school is a crime and this attempt to make you and your family unarmed victims does not exempt you from the law!
By the way; we will offer you more $$$ for your gun 1001' away from this school upon inspection"

cousinkix1953
05-08-2009, 9:52 PM
Penal Code Section 12078(a)(6)

(6) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 and subdivision (b) of
Section 12801 do not apply to sales, deliveries, or transfers of
firearms to authorized representatives of cities, cities and
counties, counties, or state or federal governments for those
governmental agencies where the entity is acquiring the weapon as
part of an authorized, voluntary program where the entity is buying
or receiving weapons from private individuals. Any weapons acquired
pursuant to this paragraph shall be disposed of pursuant to the
applicable provisions of Section 12028 or 12032.
These are the key words! A left wing peace group tried to sponsor a gun buy back in Santa Cruz, without any police department supervision. They claimed that the LEOs were all corrupt and might keep weapons for themselves. Several people called the BATFE field office in San Jose in 1995. It didn't take long for the feds to put these radicals under police supervision. One member of their gang had a criminal record and PPT of handguns had been outlawed a couple of years before. You guys would certainly have a legitimate complaint against anybody who operates outside of police supervision...

Librarian
05-08-2009, 9:56 PM
Would this be the one?

Yes! Thank you.

saki302
05-09-2009, 2:20 AM
Look closely at the fine print: "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST".....

-Dave

DDT
05-09-2009, 3:06 AM
Perhaps a sign at the buyback near the school reading:

"You are being set up! It's a trap! Bringing a gun within 1000' of a school is a crime and this attempt to make you and your family unarmed victims does not exempt you from the law!
By the way; we will offer you more $$$ for your gun 1001' away from this school upon inspection"

They moved the violating locations.

cousinkix1953
05-09-2009, 4:13 AM
They moved the violating locations.
Are you sure about that? Most everybody lives within 1,000 feet of a school in major cities. They might however claim that the law does not apply to a building which is unoccupied on the weekends, when most buy backs are happening.

We rarely see kids playing ball anymore. Most of those school districts have fenced off their fields; because they are afraid of greedy ambulance chasing attorneys filing stupid lawsuits. "Hey you guys, we can't play baseball any more; so lets be gang bangers." Government beauracrats helped to create their own juvenile crime problems...

bondmid003
05-09-2009, 9:10 AM
If only this was in San Diego, that being said anyone with a gun worth any value would probably take it to a pawn shop. The key words are "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" i.e. they're trying to attract criminals to turn in stolen guns

HowardW56
05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I went to one of the LAPD locations this morning. They were out of gift cards by 11:00 AM.

Surprisingly the officer I spoke to did not have any objection to my offering to buy guns, he was there, as assigned. From what I saw there was a lot of junk being sold dumped there, ancient bolt action rifles, screwed up/rusty old revolvers.

Colt
05-09-2009, 1:05 PM

Saw a segment on TV News yesterday - someone turned in a Colt National Match. Aargh!!!!

CitaDeL
05-09-2009, 2:40 PM
Are you sure about that? Most everybody lives within 1,000 feet of a school in major cities. They might however claim that the law does not apply to a building which is unoccupied on the weekends, when most buy backs are happening.

I might claim that because there is no school during spring break and summer recess that the law doesnt apply to me openly carrying a sidearm while walking he sidewalk directly adjacent to the school- but there is no such exemption. If it applies to us, I applies to everyone in possession of an unsecured firearm whether or not they intend to turn it in or sell it to the police for a gift card.

luchador768
05-09-2009, 4:09 PM
$100 for a "regular gun" and $200 for and "assault rifle?" So one could double their money by bonking a friend on the head with the butt of their $20 dollar rusty single shot? Nice!

Theseus
05-09-2009, 4:14 PM
Did anyone confirm that the new sites were not within 1000' of a school, or did we just assume?

I could use this if they were in the "zone"

zachary2287
05-09-2009, 5:08 PM
Did anyone confirm that the new sites were not within 1000' of a school, or did we just assume?

There was an older thread about this issue. I don't have time to find it for you or I would, but IIRC a couple of the locations were at schools and most others were within the 1000' zone.

HowardW56
05-09-2009, 5:19 PM

The site in Harbor city was just across & down the block from a private school... (500' + or -)

whobob
05-09-2009, 5:59 PM
Someone report to the DOJ and ATF about the school zone yet?

JDoe
05-09-2009, 6:17 PM

Here is at least one you can check out with Google Earth...

Busy Bees Wonderland Pre-School (http://maps.google.com/maps?latlng=14203557709519664643&q=Busy%20Bees%20Wonderland%20Pre-School&near=33.931091,-118.310861&z=16&iwloc=A&hl=en&gl=us) I might have more for you later...

LASD Location
11507 Western Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90047

Around 630 ft from

Busy Bees Wonderland Pre-School
1851 W Imperial Hwy
Los Angeles, CA 90047
(323) 757-7779‎

Edit: This looks like it could be another...

Location No. 8 - Topanga Area
Hope Chapel of the Valley
7930 Mason Avenue
Canoga Park, CA 91306

900 ft or less from

Sunny Brae Ave Elementary School
20620 Arminta St
Winnetka, CA 91306