PDA

View Full Version : Video of a pharmacist pulling a Glock on a would-be oxycodone robber

Rifle Fetish
05-07-2009, 1:35 PM
From Seattle, but still relevant to us.

http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?smlid=6229

I wish there were more people like this guy...

sv_1
05-07-2009, 1:44 PM
The "robber" looked like his pants were sagging from the load he dropped in them!

Shane916
05-07-2009, 1:44 PM
From Seattle, but still relevant to us.

http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?smlid=6229

I wish there were more people like this guy...

Intriguing. Seems like a very valid reason for those in the pharmacy business to obtain a CCW.

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 1:52 PM
gotta love the headline on that the link page though.

Why does someone protecting themselves and their business always get branded a cowboy.....especially if they're white?

gcvt
05-07-2009, 1:52 PM
Cam Edwards interviewed this guy on the radio yesterday or the day before. The guy said he purposely set up his pharmacy structure/displays to provide cover in just such an incident.

Gotta love that! :)

xLusi0n
05-07-2009, 1:54 PM
Ah, so that's what a right wing extremist looks like. Ref: DHS.

Midian
05-07-2009, 2:01 PM
Pistol Packin' Pharamcist

like it

DDT
05-07-2009, 2:07 PM
How disgusting...

"some pharmacies are exposing their customers and
employees to unnecessary dangers..."

"Pistol packin' pharmacist"

"Extreme? Maybe."

RiteAid and Walgreens are targeted more than any other pharmacies.... I wonder what corporate policy is on pharmacists carrying at work? Actually, I don't wonder and I assume the bad guys know and choose accordingly.

Oxycontin at $8K/bottle? Damn, Rush really ruined that market.

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 2:12 PM
It's about time the criminals just start getting the message that the laws and the COPs are going to be the least of their concerns from now on. The message needs to be any criminals act could quite likely cost your your life. If enough dirtbags go down the crime rate will start to drop simply because there are less criminals to commit crime.....and a perhaps a few with at least a couple brain cells left will decide it ain't worth it anymore.

yellowfin
05-07-2009, 2:16 PM
They have the medicine for all kinds of ailments, including prescription strength copper coated lead for robbery. Apply as necessary, repeat if symptoms persist.

Curtis
05-07-2009, 2:20 PM
After my accident I was on percocet. Very powerful, but under Oxycontin. My Rx was for 120/month. No pharmacy carried that much. They wouldn't fill a partial Rx. And they wouldn't tell me how much and when the next order would arrive. It was such a huge pain in the ***. All because of this type of crime. I truly felt like a criminal and drug addict. You should see the panic in their eyes when you start asking questions.

soundwave
05-07-2009, 2:21 PM
Glock 19, a fine choice :thumbsup:

DDT
05-07-2009, 2:24 PM
After my accident I was on percocet. Very powerful, but under Oxycontin. My Rx was for 120/month. No pharmacy carried that much. They wouldn't fill a partial Rx. And they wouldn't tell me how much and when the next order would arrive. It was such a huge pain in the ***. All because of this type of crime. I truly felt like a criminal and drug addict. You should see the panic in their eyes when you start asking questions.

Just about all health plans include a mail order option which often gives you a discount so there is no co-pay. Also, most hospitals have 2 pharmacies, one for inpatients and one for people being released and non-patients. The hospital pharmacy WILL have that many painkillers. I've spent way too much time over the last 7 years in hospitals. I know it won't help now, but for future issues if they come up.

Matt C
05-07-2009, 2:28 PM
Cam Edwards interviewed this guy on the radio yesterday or the day before. The guy said he purposely set up his pharmacy structure/displays to provide cover in just such an incident.

Concealment maybe, I doubt he has anything in there that would provide real cover. Still cool though, and it looked like he had some reasonable tactical sense and kept on target when the guy bolted.

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 2:29 PM
They have the medicine for all kinds of ailments, including prescription strength copper coated lead for robbery. Apply as necessary, repeat if symptoms persist.

THAT's AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ldivinag
05-07-2009, 2:44 PM
Intriguing. Seems like a very valid reason for those in the pharmacy business to obtain a CCW.

dont know what the laws are in WA, but in kalif, a business can have CCW or even OPEN CARRY, as long as the owner allows the employees to.

just go into gun store and you see employees packin'...

1BigPea
05-07-2009, 2:50 PM
Ha, that was great! He even has the list of names of people who have attempted to rob the store!

Rifle Fetish
05-07-2009, 2:56 PM

haha thats awsome

Nothing like a little vitamin Pb to cure what ails ya..

Bruce3
05-07-2009, 2:57 PM
Glock 19 FTW!

HowardW56
05-07-2009, 3:01 PM

I like it!

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 3:08 PM
Concealment maybe, I doubt he has anything in there that would provide real cover. Still cool though, and it looked like he had some reasonable tactical sense and kept on target when the guy bolted.

Although actually chasing the guy out of the store might not have been such a great idea, especially if the robber has accomplices waiting outside.

Heard a good quote at a class I took recently:

"Trouble usually comes in pairs or more."

Another one to support the use of controlled pair shots:

"If it's worth shooting once its worth shooting twice."

Decoligny
05-07-2009, 3:08 PM

Gotta love that! :)

My LEO brother-in-law came out here to California a couple of years ago at the expense of a friend who was setting up a couple of Pharmacies. He worked with the design team to set up a defensible pharmacy. Ended up with slide through drawers, high counters that a gunman can't easily see over, and security doors that require a code to open and close making it impossible for the average crook to get to the drugs.

pnkssbtz
05-07-2009, 4:04 PM
IMHO, if I were a criminal (not that I am), I would target big chain's like rite-aid or walgreens because I would know that the company forbids their employee's from being armed.

I.E. less threat to my person.

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 4:11 PM
IMHO, if I were a criminal (not that I am), I would target big chain's like rite-aid or walgreens because I would know that the company forbids their employee's from being armed.

Sounds like walgreens and rite-aid need to pony up for an armed secuirty guard then.

pullnshoot25
05-07-2009, 4:11 PM

LOVE IT!

I hate it when the news people look down their noses at people who own guns.

anthonyca
05-07-2009, 5:36 PM
Does anyone think the switch from small mom and pop robberies to large chains is because small mom and pops are arming themselves?

Waldo
05-07-2009, 6:15 PM

Two years ago in our area, 9 Rite Aide and Safeway pharmacies were held up. Some of them a couple of times. They never did catch the guys. Oxycontin and Percocets.

And just recently, a local Safeway pharmacy got hit for Oxycontin. They ended up catching that guy because after he hit a cop car trying to get away, I understand he drove back to his house.

Waldo
05-07-2009, 7:24 PM

With the security tightening up on the borders after 9/11, there's been a large increase in people turning to prescription drugs feed their habits. I wish I had a buck for every person that said "I'll see you outside" after I tell them I can't/won't fill their narcotics for one reason or another...I'd be able to retire by now.

I'm diplomatic and polite with these interactions, but desparate people can be hard to reason with. The scary part is that you run into these folks while doing everyday chores at the grocery store or Home Depot.

Hard to get a CCW here..I'm not on the sheriff's contributor list or inner circle.

Greg-Dawg
05-07-2009, 7:35 PM
In Glock we trust.

yellowfin
05-08-2009, 12:39 AM
With the security tightening up on the borders after 9/11, Uhm, they have been? I haven't seen anywhere I've lived in the past 7 1/2 years show ANY sign we have secure borders. Is there any shortage of anything that comes across?

Model X
05-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Kinda stupid for him to run out of the store with the gun drawn isn't it?

Turo
05-08-2009, 12:56 AM
After my accident I was on percocet. Very powerful, but under Oxycontin. My Rx was for 120/month.
Holy Nuts! You were on 4 of those a day? Man, when I broke my leg, I took one and couldn't sleep because I was hallucinating every time I closed my eyes. I think I had a whole bottle of 'em and after that one, I said, "forget that" and just took the pain.

dont know what the laws are in WA, but in kalif, a business can have CCW or even OPEN CARRY, as long as the owner allows the employees to.

just go into gun store and you see employees packin'...

Yep, legal to CCW in your place of business, pretty much legal to carry however you want, just like at home. Although, if you were to CCW, nobody would know, and therefore the owner can make all the rules they want. When it has to be used though, they'll be happy you broke that rule...
Though I've heard it's not uncommon to be fired for it. (mostly Pizza delivery boys though)

NSR500
05-08-2009, 1:14 AM
Does a Pharmacist have a better chance at getting a CCW in California? They are major targets of crime and I think it would be sufficient "Just Cause" to want one.

Waldo
05-08-2009, 8:02 AM
Uhm, they have been? I haven't seen anywhere I've lived in the past 7 1/2 years show ANY sign we have secure borders. Is there any shortage of anything that comes across?

I don't think they're much more secure, that's for sure...just longer waits at the airline check-in lines.:) I'll try to find one of the fed studies I was sent that suggested this, and the breakdown status of the top five illicit drugs. From what I recall, they think that the pathways of drugs coming in have changed because of the checks at commercial routes, causing shortages in some areas.

Rifle Fetish
05-08-2009, 8:45 AM
Yeah running out of the door was pretty stupid. I would have held my ground, but I understand the fact that he wanted to arrest the guy.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-08-2009, 8:48 AM
How disgusting...

"some pharmacies are exposing their customers and
employees to unnecessary dangers..."

"Pistol packin' pharmacist"

"Extreme? Maybe."

I'm not so sure. They ended with the comment that "it worked for" the pharmacist (My Hero!) after all. Compared to what we usually see from TV, this one was actually pretty supportive.

The Raisuli

Untamed1972
05-08-2009, 8:54 AM
Does a Pharmacist have a better chance at getting a CCW in California? They are major targets of crime and I think it would be sufficient "Just Cause" to want one.

Knowing this state you'd prolly hafta have been held up a couple of times, or abducted from the parking lot and forced inside to show "good cause".

Untamed1972
05-08-2009, 8:59 AM
Here's an idea. Have "special throw down bottles" of these commonly stolen drugs. These bottles would be only for giving to robbers. The pills in these bottles are spiked somehow with something that would kill these druggies in a matter of minutes if they take the stuff.....or better yet would make their skin turn blue or purple or something and make it stay that way for weeks. COPs see some purple guy walkin' down the street....he gets busted for taking stolen drugs.....kinda like those die-packs that put in with money at banks.

My personal feeling is the only way to stop, or at least reduce crime, is to just make it not "pay" for the criminal anymore. Yes...there will always be some that will risk everything. But if petty crime came with the possibility of higher consequences (like death) many might reconsider. If they don't....they end up dead and we don't hafta worry about them anymore. Crime reduction by means of criminal reduction.

NSR500
05-08-2009, 9:01 AM
Silver will turn the skin blue, permanently.

RomanDad
05-08-2009, 9:10 AM
Am I missing something???

I dont see how he knew they were being robbed?

Punk Kid comes in.... Looks a little shifty.... But having been to Seatlle a few times in my life, he looks like EVERY person between the ages of 15 and 30 in that city.

I dont see anybody helping him... he pulls something out of his pocket that looks like a prescription.....

No gun.... No weapon of any kind that I see...

Hes looking around, and then the pharmicist comes at him with the gun?

AEC1
05-08-2009, 9:39 AM
My wife used 2 work at a CVS in FL. She was robbed 3 times, the first two were sucessfull, then she got her SIG, the 3 not so much... Word must have gotten out cause it never happened again...

Mazilla
05-08-2009, 9:50 AM
A few years back, while covering a route for one of my drivers I attempted delivery to one of the pharmacies on that route. When I tried to park I noticed the entire place yellowed taped off and was turned away by PD.

The following day I spoke with the pharmacist and he had stopped the 2nd attempt by a local druggie to rob them. This time he recognized the suspect as he entered, armed himself, and when the suspect tried to jump over the counter with a weapon he shot him twice and killed him. I congratulated him on a job well done.

Rifle Fetish
05-08-2009, 3:48 PM
The pills in these bottles are spiked somehow with something that would kill these druggies in a matter of minutes if they take the stuff.....

Terrible idea.

Tillers_Rule
05-08-2009, 3:58 PM
Sweet, score another one for the good guys!

donger
05-08-2009, 4:15 PM
I used to work part-time at a Rite Aid in a not so nice part of town. And while a security guard was present, they were mostly on the look out for internal theft rather than robbers. In fact during a robbery, when I was not working, the guard was tied up while the robbers (working in pairs) held a gun to the manager and demanded the safe opened.

Theseus
05-08-2009, 8:04 PM
When they first made the comment I thought the same thing too...I was a little over edge.

I think watched the whole thing and determined when they later said it they seemed to focus on the fact that the pharmacies are not doing enough to protect their customers given the known threat.

By perhaps providing a security guide.

I'm not so sure. They ended with the comment that "it worked for" the pharmacist (My Hero!) after all. Compared to what we usually see from TV, this one was actually pretty supportive.

The Raisuli

Waldo
05-08-2009, 9:03 PM
Silver will turn the skin blue, permanently.

Off topic...some folks used to borrow the silver nitrate solution from the lab and paint the toilet seats with it.

In one of the hardest places to obtain a CCW, New York City, pharmacists seem to be able to get them readily enough.

DDT
05-08-2009, 9:09 PM

I noticed that too but I just assumed he made a verbal threat or statement. I'm sure if he hadn't intended to rob the joint he would have filed a lawsuit by now, being on TV and all.

Rifle Fetish
05-08-2009, 10:50 PM

I'm assuming the paper that the perp handed over said something like:

"Plz give moar drugzzzz!!!!"