PDA

View Full Version : Going after FCC licenses of MSM.

nicki
05-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Now that the "second amendment is a right", could we possibly go after the FCC licenses of radio and television stations since having a license is a government granted privilege:43:

Sure you have a right to free speech, but you don't have a right to slander, to libel or to violate the rights of others.

Even if our actions don't result in FCC action, they would have a effect on shareholder value and could result in reduction in demand for TV adds.

Maybe we also could look at "shareholder lawsuits". If a station is actively promoting violations of the rights of groups, doesn't it undermine the profitability of the station.

With 72 percent of the public supporting RKBA, a station management that is actively promoting a gun ban agenda is violating their "fudiciary duties" to keep the company profitable.

Just a thought.

Nicki

WokMaster1
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
That fruit is considerably higher in the tree & I believe such a move will anger more people (potential supporters for us) faster & be branded as a anti 1A, conservative & downright right of the right wingers.

Better to stay the course & "pluck" the low hanging fruits first so the tree gets top heavy & ....... (think of the potential there)

DDT
05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
The FCC is currently being used to put pressure on right wing radio. I don't see this being a good thing in any way shape or form right now.

However; if we as gun owners can ever claim protected status that may change. We could then theoretically argue for equal time (or whatever standard for "diversity" the FCC ultimately adopts.)

Untamed1972
05-07-2009, 2:13 PM
The FCC is currently being used to put pressure on right wing radio. I don't see this being a good thing in any way shape or form right now.

However; if we as gun owners can ever claim protected status that may change. We could then theoretically argue for equal time (or whatever standard for "diversity" the FCC ultimately adopts.)

That's what kills me about the left's gripe with conservative talk radio and demanding equal time.

Ok...that's fine.....when does conservative views get equal time on TV news? Or newspapers?

CalNRA
05-07-2009, 2:53 PM
That's what kills me about the left's gripe with conservative talk radio and demanding equal time.

Ok...that's fine.....when does conservative views get equal time on TV news? Or newspapers?

I would love to see some pro-2nd talk shows on MSNBC.

Equal time, right? For each "gun crime" special then we demand a "citizen protects other citizens from thugs" story.

DDT
05-07-2009, 2:54 PM
I would love to see some pro-2nd talk shows on MSNBC.

I wouldn't, I'm just fine with things the way they are. Let the market decide the vase majority of what is going to go on the air.

Tillers_Rule
05-07-2009, 3:06 PM
I'd rather get rid of the FCC and free up the air waves. Any group that is unaccountable for their actions has way too much power.

E Pluribus Unum
05-07-2009, 3:27 PM
I'd rather get rid of the FCC and free up the air waves. Any group that is unaccountable for their actions has way too much power.

As an amateur radio operator, I would be against that. CB is a joke because there is no license, no consequence for bad behavior.

sholling
05-07-2009, 3:44 PM
You won't get their licenses pulled for not being fair to gun owners. What you might be able to go after them on is not serving their community. For example if the mayor of Lost Angeles farts it's a 10 minute news story but the only way something in another city is covered is if there are deaths or arrests involved. The city of LA is only a fraction of the area they are supposed to serve.

B Strong
05-07-2009, 4:05 PM
Now that the "second amendment is a right", could we possibly go after the FCC licenses of radio and television stations since having a license is a government granted privilege:43:

Sure you have a right to free speech, but you don't have a right to slander, to libel or to violate the rights of others.

Even if our actions don't result in FCC action, they would have a effect on shareholder value and could result in reduction in demand for TV adds.

Maybe we also could look at "shareholder lawsuits". If a station is actively promoting violations of the rights of groups, doesn't it undermine the profitability of the station.

With 72 percent of the public supporting RKBA, a station management that is actively promoting a gun ban agenda is violating their "fudiciary duties" to keep the company profitable.

Just a thought.

Nicki

Nicki,

You can absolutely forget moving the FCC to act on any complaint that doesn't involve obscene material.

To the best of my knowledge,and I've been interested in FCC enforcement issues for quite some time, they don't have any standing protocol for taking action against broadcasters for anything other than the broadcast of obscene material.

Broadcasters that want to deny the existence of Second Amendment rights aren't going to run afoul of the FCC for calling us gun nuts, but if they slip and call us ****ing gun nuts, we might get some traction.

packnrat
05-07-2009, 7:15 PM
Best one can regarding the FCC, is send a regesterd letter to them complaning when and were (aka same time same channel) when a lie or twested truth was told by a talking head.
The FCC does keep track, and it does come up at renewel time.