PDA

View Full Version : Right to Carry in National Parks

Smity
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

I am sure that most of you are aware that on March 19th, the right to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in national parks and wild life refuges was suspended. I really don't know how much this would help, but I can't stand by and do nothing any longer. I sent the following message to President Obama through his website www.whitehouse.gov (just click on Contact Us to send him an email).

"Dear Mr. President, I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you."

If you wish to participate and send your own message, please post when you have done so and I will post the totals every so often so we can all see the progress.

My reason for doing this is because I think we can make more of a difference in the opinions and actions of our elected officials if we coordinate the messages to focus on one issue at a time with as many voices as we can get. I chose the National Parks issue because it is something that we can all agree on and I was shocked when I did some research and found out how much was considered to be a national park, Gettysburg, PA for example.

The reason I chose the President, rather than Senators or Governors, etc. is because there aren't any 2nd Amendment supporters that have his ear. I want to let him know that there is another opinion that isn't coming from an organization which may have an agenda, but directly from the people.

If you choose to participate, feel free to use your own words or copy mine. My only request is that you keep your email to the President clear, concise and professional so that we are all taken seriously. So far, 49 others have sent an email to the President from other forums and I have been humbled and inspired by the participation.

Thanks and good luck,
Smity
Capt US Army (hon dis), Smallbore Shooter, Bullseye Pistol Shooter, CCW holder, hardworking husband and father

Midian
05-07-2009, 1:09 PM
So can you openly carry in a national park?

Smity
05-07-2009, 2:03 PM
No - no firearms on NPS (National Park Service) land.

On Jan 9th, 09, George Bush signed an executive order stating that NPS had to follow state firearms laws. There was an injunction filed that reversed the executive order because "the proper environmental impact study had not been completed."

The problem is that there is so much NPS land that it is impossible in some areas to drive or walk from point A to point B without crossing NPS land. Virginia is a good example of this. They have many roads that are maintained by NPS and people have been arrested and prosecuted for carrying while driving on these roads. They are regular looking roads, you wouldn't even know it was NPS land. Washington, DC is another example, national monuments are NPS land. Gettysburg, PA is another example. You probably have been on NPS land and didn't even know it.

Smity

Total emails sent from all forums is now 51

by the way, instead of going to www.whitehous.gov, you can go to

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

put in your zip code and you can email or send a paper letter to the President, your Senators and Representatives all at the same time. It's an NRA-ILA Action Center feature. Quite impressive, I have used it. You don't have to be an NRA member.http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Glock22Fan
05-08-2009, 4:44 PM
You can read more about this here (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=31751&page=4&viewID=912836)
and in my thread referring to it
here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=181614)

Maybe Bob Bishop could suggest other politicians needing to know our opinion?

Smity
05-08-2009, 7:09 PM
John,
Your post inspired me to do a little more research.

Check this out!

The NPS (National Park System) controls a total of 84.6 million acres of land. 8,505 Monuments and Statues 680 Water Treatment and Wastewater Collection Systems 5,300 Family Housing Units 505 Dams 1,804 Bridges and Tunnels 7,580 Buildings 8,500 Miles of roads and parkways 12,250 Miles of Unpaved Trails

...and that is just a partial list. For a complete list go to:http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/quickfacts.htm

This is nothing more than an underhanded dirty trick by the Brady Commission to put 3.6%, yes that's 3.6% of the entire United States off limits, in addition to making it so difficult in some areas that you just wouldn't be able to do it without committing a felony.

Total emails sent is now up to 60 across all forums. Thanks for your help!

Smity

DDT
05-08-2009, 9:05 PM
The NPS (National Park System) controls a total of 84.6 million acres of land. 8,505 Monuments and Statues 680 Water Treatment and Wastewater Collection Systems 5,300 Family Housing Units 505 Dams 1,804 Bridges and Tunnels 7,580 Buildings 8,500 Miles of roads and parkways 12,250 Miles of Unpaved Trails

Now THAT is interesting.....

n6nvr
05-09-2009, 1:36 AM
To give you an idea of some of the more interesting "lands" involved Here is a quote - "For those of us who live and work in the Greater Washington region, National Park experiences are part of our daily lives. Commutes along the scenic George Washington Memorial and Baltimore-Washington Parkways; bike rides and walks along the C&O Canal and Rock Creek Park; golfing and picnics at Haines Point; family camping adventures in Greenbelt, Catoctin and Prince William Forest Parks;" also the Natchez Trace and Blue Ridge Parkways, the Mojave National Preserve here in CA, certain National Natural Monuments, like the Carizo Plain, etc.

It's like some of our freeways might be National Park Lands (ours aren't, but they are in the DC-Baltimore area), but the Golden Gate National Recreation area? means some places in San Francisco you might walk into suddenly, are NPS administered and you are committing a felony. (That assumes you were legally carrying, ahem,)

gunsmith
05-09-2009, 2:38 AM
some parts of the popular tourist areas of SF Fishermans Wharf are patrolled by the National Park Police.
When I did security down there and needed a miscreant
really rousted I would call them.
You really don't want to run afoul of NPP, they are very serious police.

DDT
05-09-2009, 3:10 AM
You really don't want to run afoul of NPP, they are very serious police.

No kidding, ask Vince Foster.

Smity
05-09-2009, 7:43 AM
Total emails sent is now 64!

Smity

Smity
05-09-2009, 2:15 PM
67, now working on forum #9.

If you are just tuning in, don't be bashful. You can still weigh in. I will continue to update as long as the total keeps going up.

Smity

Smity
05-10-2009, 8:00 AM
Total is now 71!

If you're under the impression that this does not effect you, here is a list of the NPS controlled land in California:

Alcatraz Island, San Francisco, CA
Cabrillo National Monument
San Diego, CA National Monument
California National Historic Trail
Various States, CA,CO,ID,KS,MO,NE,NV,OR,UT,WY National Historic Trail
Channel Islands National Park
Ventura, CA National Park
Death Valley National Park
Death Valley, CA,NV National Park
Devils Postpile National Monument
the Sierra Nevada near Mammoth Lakes, CA National Monument
Eugene O'Neill National Historic Site
Danville, CA National Historic Site
Fort Point National Historic Site
Presidio of San Francisco, CA National Historic Site
Golden Gate National Recreation Area
San Francisco, CA National Recreation Area
John Muir National Historic Site
Martinez, CA National Historic Site
Joshua Tree National Park
Southern California between I-10 and Hwy 62; headquarters in Twentynine Palms, CA National Park
Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail
Nogales, AZ to San Francisco, CA, AZ,CA National Historic Trail
Lassen Volcanic National Park
Mineral, CA National Park
Lava Beds National Monument
Tulelake, CA National Monument
Manzanar National Historic Site
Independence, CA National Historic Site
Mojave National Preserve
Southern California between I-15 and I-40; headquarters in Barstow, CA National Preserve
Muir Woods National Monument
Mill Valley, CA National Monument
Old Spanish National Historic Trail
AZ,CA,CO,NV,NM,UT National Historic Trail
Pinnacles National Monument
Paicines, CA National Monument
Point Reyes National Seashore
Point Reyes, CA National Seashore
Pony Express National Historic Trail
Various States, CA,CO,KS,MO,NE,NV,UT,WY National Historic Trail
Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial
Concord Naval Weapons Station, CA National Memorial
Presidio of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
Redwood National and State Parks
Del Norte & Humboldt counties , CA National and State Parks
Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park
Richmond, CA National Historical Park
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
San Francisco, CA National Historical Park
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area
Thousand Oaks, CA National Recreation Area
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
In the southern Sierra Nevada in Tulare and Fresno counties, CA National Parks
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area
Whiskeytown, CA National Recreation Area
Yosemite National Park
the Sierra Nevada, CA National Park

...and don't forget about the roads going through these areas.

It's just an email. It takes two minutes.
http://capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Example: I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you.

Smity

Smity
05-10-2009, 2:14 PM
Total number of people who have sent emails is now 83.

If you notice, I have changed the reporting from number of emails to number of people who sent emails. Many are reporting back as having sent multiple emails -- the President, 2 Senators and 1 Representative (one way to do this is with the NRA-ILA email tool at http://capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/). Since I can't go back find out who sent multiple emails, I will now report as # of people instead. The total number of actual emails sent is definitely in the hundreds.

Great job everyone!

Smity

Glock22Fan
05-11-2009, 8:15 AM
My anonymous source on Capitol Hill says that the following politicians are the ones to which it would be most profitable to send letters asking for the ban to be revoked (i.e. that concealed carry should be permitted -- according to local state regulations -- within National Parks. If you haven't already included these in your letters, please do so now.

-Senator Reid
-Rep.Nick Rahall (WV) (chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee)
-Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ) (chairman of the National Parks, Forests and Public Lands Subcommittee)

and California folks:
-Rep. Joe Baca
-Rep. Jim Costa
-Rep. Cardoza.

Thanks

Smity
05-11-2009, 8:42 AM
That's great information! What is the easiest way you have found to email them?

Smity

Glock22Fan
05-11-2009, 4:02 PM
That's great information! What is the easiest way you have found to email them?

Smity

I don't. Use snail mail, it is more likely to be read and remembered.

Smity
05-11-2009, 7:17 PM
You're right, there are other important players and the players change depending on the issue. I think that the NRA-ILA should have an option in there email tool to add the Senate Majority and Minority Leaders, Speaker of the House, various Chairman and anyone else that might be proposing bad legislation or holding up good legislation. It certainly would amplify the effectiveness of an effort such as this.

There are nearly 4 million members of the NRA. What if all of them sent Harry Reid a letter calling for 100% observance of the 2nd Amendment. It's an intriguing thought.

Anyone have any NRA contacts?

Smity -- Total people who have sent emails is now 93.

Glock22Fan
05-12-2009, 4:53 PM
OK, here are some more ideas for contact information:

Phone and fax (and some email info) can be found by looking up the individual representatives here (http://www.house.gov) or for the Senate here (http://www.senate.gov). There are search boxes near the top to help you select a representative, or a state (for senators) and go to their web pages. Often this gives snail mail address as well as email/fax/phone information.

You may also be able to get to the data by going to www.XXX.house.gov, where XXX is the last name of the representative.

For example, www.rahall.house.gov (www.rahall.house.gov) takes you to Rep. Nick Rahall's page (he is the chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee). On that page his addresses given are:

Beckley Office
301 Prince St.,
Beckley, WV 25801
(304) 252-5000

Bluefield Office
601 Federal St., Room 1005
Bluefield, WV 24701
(304) 325-6222

Huntington Office
845 Fifth Ave.
Huntington, WV 25701
(304) 522-6425

Logan Office
220 Dingess St.
Logan, WV 25601
(304) 752-4934

Washington Office
2307 Rayburn HOB
Washington,DC 20515
(202) 225-3452

Clicking his contact button gives a form where you can send your emails, but there does not appear to be an email address for him.

There's also a "write your representative" button on the house.gov home page

I found that the house.gov site had to be tried several times and is very slow - don't know if it is overloaded or having technical problems, so if you don't get through, try again -- the links I gave are the correct ones.

Glock22Fan
05-12-2009, 5:17 PM
There are nearly 4 million members of the NRA. What if all of them sent Harry Reid a letter calling for 100% observance of the 2nd Amendment. It's an intriguing thought.

What if many of them wrote him one from home, one from work, one from mom & dad's house . . . . . . . . . . Get a lot of milage with, say, 4 pieces of paper, four envelopes and under two bucks worth of stamps.

Post them a few days apart though or they might notice!

Smity
05-12-2009, 9:02 PM
A bill has passed in the Senate! This is happening right now! Read this and get everyone you can to email the President and your Congressmen using http://capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

This still has to pass in the House and be signed by the President!
__________________________________________________ _____________________
http://washingtonindependent.com/42641/senate-approves-coburn-gun-amendment

or http://gunowners.org/

Senate Approves Coburn Gun Amendment…in Credit Card Bill
By Mike Lillis 5/12/09 6:44 PM

The Senate on Tuesday night easily passed an amendment to credit card reform legislation that would allow concealed weapons in national parks. The vote was 67 to 29.

The question now is this: Will a controversial gun proposal attached to popular underlying legislation be the poison pill that sinks that larger bill? That’s been the case with legislation allowing the District of Columbia a voting representative in Congress, to which the Senate attached language scrapping many of Washington’s strict gun control laws. As a result of that gun amendment, the DC-vote bill remains stalled in the House months after it passed the upper chamber.

Now, Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), the chief sponsor of the credit card reform bill, is wondering whether the same might be the fate of his credit card proposal. “My concern is about what the underlying bill — what happens to it,” Dodd said on the chamber floor just before the vote. “I hate to see us lose this opportunity to make a difference with credit card reform.”

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), who sponsored the concealed weapons bill, said he supports many of Dodd’s credit card provisions, and didn’t have in mind to offer his amendment just for the purpose of killing the larger bill. “I don’t want to see it fail on this,” Coburn said. “But nor do I want to see the Second Amendment trampled on.”

So much for an easy, clean, must-pass credit card reform bill.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Smity

Glock22Fan
05-14-2009, 4:13 PM
This has just been released. I'm afraid I do not have a link, or do I know where it was published, but here is the article.

NATIONAL PARKS: Preparing EIS for firearms rule will take 2-3 years (05/14/2009)
Noelle Straub and Eric Bontrager, E&E reporters
The Interior Department will need two to three years to prepare an environmental analysis and propose a rule on the hot-button issue of whether park visitors should be allowed to carry concealed firearms, officials said today.
That timeline would effectively delay a decision Interior must make about the matter, which pits a pro-gun Senate majority against parks groups that oppose allowing the weapons, and it may encourage lawmakers to address the issue through legislation.
The Obama administration has been grappling with how to handle a rule put in place just before the Bush administration left office that allows visitors to carry concealed firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges in states with concealed carry laws. A federal judge blocked the rule in March, siding with anti-gun and conservation groups, which argued that Interior had failed to conduct an assessment of the rule's potential environmental effects, as required under the National Environmental Policy Act.
Interior decided last month against challenging the court ruling. The department said it would comply with U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly's ruling that blocked the policy change until the Obama administration conducted a full review of the rule's environmental impacts.
Interior by next week must file a motion seeking a stay of the Bush rule while it prepares an environmental impact statement (EIS) and determines what regulation is appropriate in light of that analysis. Dan Wenk, the acting director of the National Park Service, today said that at the court's request, the motion will include a schedule and cost estimate to go through the NEPA process.
The EIS will cost about $500,0000, he told the House Interior Appropriations Subcommittee.
"We believe that the EIS process is appropriate and necessary because it is highly controversial -- we had over 140,000 comments on the proposed rule last year," Wenk testified. "So the process will take two to three years and cost about $500,000 for us to engage the public in terms of public scoping, public meetings, appropriate response, coming up with alternatives. And then once we have a final decision, putting together the final rule, or the proposed and final rule."
In the meantime, parks will operate under the existing 1983 rule, which allows guns to be transported through parks but only if they are inoperable and stowed.
Lawmakers who support changing the Reagan-era policy said today's announcement makes a legislative response all the more important.
"The Second Amendment is not subservient to environmental analysis, and it's unbelievable that a federal agency would take 2 or 3 years to try and develop a position or do a study on a civil right already guaranteed in the Constitution," Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah) said in an e-mail. "If the agency is indeed that irresponsible, Congress better step up in any way we can and defend Americans and their rights."
Senate amendment
Such congressional efforts are under way. Two days ago, the Senate approved, 67-29, a guns-in-parks amendment from Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) that goes further than the Bush rule.
The amendment, attached to credit card legislation under consideration in the Senate, prohibits Interior from creating or enforcing any regulations prohibiting an individual from possessing a firearm in national parks and wildlife refuges, as permitted by state law.
The House already passed its version of the credit card bill, and President Obama is pushing for Congress to approve the measure by Memorial Day. The question remains whether the Coburn amendment can survive a House-Senate conference. If it does, House members say it is unlikely to hamper final passage.
"It's not that hard of an issue, because Secretary Salazar already said he's not seeking to overturn the Bush administration rule," said Natural Resources Chairman Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.). "It's a non-issue, I don't see us devoting any time to this issue, but I could be overruled by above."
While the Bush administration rule only applied to concealed weapons, the Coburn amendment offers no such distinction, leading some groups to raise concerns that it could be a far more radical change. A coalition of parks and anti-gun groups sent a letter to Obama yesterday asking him to oppose the "dangerous and misguided" amendment.
"The amendment sponsored by Senator Coburn would allow individuals to openly carry rifles, shotguns, and semiautomatic weapons in national parks if the firearm is in compliance with state law," the letter said. "As a result, individuals could attend ranger led hikes and campfire programs carrying rifles."
The groups included the National Parks Conservation Association, the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, the Humane Society of the United States and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
But Rahall disagreed with those worries, saying, "I don't think it's a bridge too far, because it'll be implemented by reasoned individuals and enforced by just as reasoned individuals."
Natural Resources Committee ranking member Doc Hastings (D-Wash.) said that although he missed the vote on the credit card bill, he opposed the legislation -- but he may change his position if it includes the Coburn measure.
"I will look at it very closely because of that amendment," he said, suggesting other House Republicans may also do the same. "If they were to bring that bill over and we were to have an up-or-down vote in the House with the guns amendment, I think it would pass."

jimh
05-14-2009, 4:22 PM
nice. it always seemed so stupid to me to take the guns away in the purest of wilderness.

Glock22Fan
05-14-2009, 5:04 PM
nice. it always seemed so stupid to me to take the guns away in the purest of wilderness.

It always seems stupid to me that they presume that people who can be demonstrably trusted to carry a gun in the urban jungle will immediately lose their common sense and control as soon as the population density drops. Or, alternatively, are fine carrying along a country highway, except when it meanders in and out of a National Park.

TheBundo
05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
We WON!!!!!!

RANDO
05-21-2009, 9:01 PM
:willy_nilly::party::willy_nilly:

shooter4ever
06-04-2009, 9:13 AM
Surplisingly, Obama signed the bill into law: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-05-22-guns-national-parks_N.htm

Govt: Guns barred from national parks until February
WASHINGTON (AP) — A new law allowing loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges will not take effect until next year, the Obama administration said Friday.
President Obama signed the gun law without comment Friday as part of a measure creating new rules for the credit card industry.
A spokeswoman for the Interior Department said that because the credit card law won't take effect until nine months after it is signed, the gun measure also will be delayed.
Spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said the Interior Department will follow Congress's directive and put the new firearms law into effect in late February 2010.
Until then, rules adopted under the Reagan administration will remain in place. The rules severely restrict guns in the national parks, generally requiring that guns be locked or stored in a glove compartment or trunk.

"As Interior prepares to implement the new law, the department will work to understand and interpret its implications for our national parks and wildlife refuges, with public safety and the safety of our employees as our foremost consideration," Barkoff said. "For the time being, the current Reagan administration regulations governing possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges remain in place."
The Interior Department's decision drew immediate criticism from Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., the chief sponsor of the gun measure.
Spokesman John Hart said Coburn will offer the gun amendment to other bills in order to implement the decision as quickly as possible.
Hart said Coburn was confident the amendment would be approved again, noting that the measure received support from 27 Democrats in the Senate, including Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.
The measure, adopted by wide margins in the House and Senate, allows licensed gun owners to bring firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges as long as they are allowed by state law.
Hart said Congress clearly intended for the law to take effect soon, adding that Coburn was disappointed the law apparently will not be in place this summer, when national parks are most crowded.
Bryan Faehner, associate director of the National Parks Conservation Association, applauded the Interior Department's decision.
"We are pleased, because that provides more time that our parks will remain safe and free from shotguns, rifles and semiautomatic weapons," Faehner said.
"We hope that the American public and members of Congress will have more time to understand the far-reaching repercussions of this outrageous and disturbing law that has nothing to do with credit cards and will only put park visitors at risk," Faehner said.
Faehner called national parks among the safest places in the country. According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, there were 1.65 violent crimes per 100,000 national park visitors in 2006, far below the national average for violent crime.
Coburn countered that parks are not crime-free and that the law would help law-abiding fight human and animal threats.
The vote allowing guns in parks was a bitter disappointment for gun-control proponents, who watched as a Democratic-controlled Congress handed a victory to gun-rights advocates that they did not achieve under Republican rule. Democratic opponents blamed the National Rifle Association, which pushed hard for the gun law.
Republicans said gun owners simply want to exercise their Second Amendment rights. The GOP called the current policy confusing to those who visit public lands, noting that merely traveling from state-owned parks to national parks meant some visitors were violating the law.
Obama did not mention the guns provision during a signing ceremony for the credit card bill. A White House spokeswoman referred questions to the Interior Department.

TerryC
07-17-2009, 6:48 AM
Hi All,

I am sure that most of you are aware that on March 19th, the right to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in national parks and wild life refuges was suspended. I really don't know how much this would help, but I can't stand by and do nothing any longer. I sent the following message to President Obama through his website www.whitehouse.gov (just click on Contact Us to send him an email).

"Dear Mr. President, I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you."

If you wish to participate and send your own message, please post when you have done so and I will post the totals every so often so we can all see the progress.

My reason for doing this is because I think we can make more of a difference in the opinions and actions of our elected officials if we coordinate the messages to focus on one issue at a time with as many voices as we can get. I chose the National Parks issue because it is something that we can all agree on and I was shocked when I did some research and found out how much was considered to be a national park, Gettysburg, PA for example.

The reason I chose the President, rather than Senators or Governors, etc. is because there aren't any 2nd Amendment supporters that have his ear. I want to let him know that there is another opinion that isn't coming from an organization which may have an agenda, but directly from the people.

If you choose to participate, feel free to use your own words or copy mine. My only request is that you keep your email to the President clear, concise and professional so that we are all taken seriously. So far, 49 others have sent an email to the President from other forums and I have been humbled and inspired by the participation.

Thanks and good luck,
Smity
Capt US Army (hon dis), Smallbore Shooter, Bullseye Pistol Shooter, CCW holder, hardworking husband and father

In Consitutional theory (I refer to it as theory as the constitution dosen't exist anymore), it is not the President who makes laws, it's the Congress. You may want to write your House and Senate representatives.

MudCamper
07-17-2009, 9:23 AM
You may want to write your House and Senate representatives.

Don't waste your time, unless you just want to write them to thank them. Keep reading the thread. The credit card bill (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.627:) passed, and it includes a right to carry clause that is better than the original Bush order. We'll be able to carry in NPs by February next year.

gunn
07-31-2009, 9:35 AM
Q: The way the law is written today, may I keep an unloaded rifle disassembled my car's trunk (locked) while camping in a National Park / National Recreational Area (not Forest)? I don't plan on taking it out while I am on NP land but am considering going target shooting later in the weekend (off NP land, of course).

Q: Do I need to declare the firearm to the park ranger upon arrival?

I can also add a lock on the bag if need be.
-g

MudCamper
08-04-2009, 9:46 AM
Q: The way the law is written today, may I keep an unloaded rifle disassembled my car's trunk (locked) while camping in a National Park / National Recreational Area (not Forest)? I don't plan on taking it out while I am on NP land but am considering going target shooting later in the weekend (off NP land, of course).

Yes.

Q: Do I need to declare the firearm to the park ranger upon arrival?

No.

And see Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).