View Full Version : Mounting sights?

05-07-2009, 3:47 AM
Thanks to Calgunners' input, I picked up Meprolight night sights for my XD40. Next thing is mounting them. Easy to do myself? Special tool needed? Reasonable price to have gunsmith mount them?

Loving being a newly armed citizen. :patriot:

05-07-2009, 4:58 AM
It depends on the type of sight. Some of them can just be tapped out with a small brass hammer and a punch. It would help if you have a vise and advisably a good padding tool like a used leather belt to prevent marring your slide. There are also specifically designed sight pusher from different manufacturers like Glock and Sig.

05-07-2009, 5:16 AM
Since you're asking, I'm going to assume you've never done this yourself.

While in theory it's not difficult at all. "Theoretically' is sometimes far from the truth. Fitting sights is MUCH easier than say, removing them. XD in particular are notorious for being pressed to almost near irremovable status. I know the early ones were especially bad and when I did mine, some people were having an easy time removing it while some did not. I literally had to cut them off. I've changed the sights on my XD, Glocks, Sigs, M&P, Colts and the hardest ones to remove were the ones on my XD.

YMMV, but for XD sights, I would try it myself first and if it they dont budge after a few good whacks with a punch and hammer, send it off. I'd recommend Springer Precision or SA themselves. They have the tools to do this job easy and more importantly, right. If you read/search the XDTalk forums, you'll find stories to corroborate my 'claims'. Trusting "ole jimmy bob" at the local range to do this isn't something I'd try either. Not with XD sights, they really can be that bad. Stick with the guys like Springer or Springfield Armrory.

Good luck.

05-07-2009, 5:28 AM
Since you're asking, I'm going to assume you've never done this yourself.

Correct, never done it (just acquired said XD40 as first handgun). So, if I'm lucky and the factory sights come off without a sledge hammer, what do I need to know about putting on the replacements? That is, do they fit into a standard position, or do I need special skill to adjust the sights for accuracy? Very basic questions, I know.

What cost might I expect to have them done professionally?

05-07-2009, 7:10 AM
Warning! XDs are known to be mofos when it comes to removing the sights. Some gunsmiths won't even touch them. Go with someone with a $600 sight remover or check out XDtalk.com for more info.