PDA

View Full Version : P2000 - To LEM or not, that is the question

high_revs
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Wifey owes me a pistol for paying her taxes. :thumbsup:

I've been reading a little on the V2/LEM trigger vs the V3 with the decocker. Looking at a regular P2000 in 40, not the SK (tried it on my hand, meh...). Anyone have any regrets on the LEM that bought it? I read it's either love it or hate it? Any know of a range that has it for rental to try?

Got another 14 or so days before my 30days are up. :cool:

CA Gun Laws Suck
05-07-2009, 2:28 AM
I would personally go with the V3. I like single action and you can use the decocker for the first shot to be DA if you carry or wanna use it as your HD gun. Nothing against the LEM it feels decent but comes down to if you like the trigger pull of the LEM. Test out the LEM and decide. Im not from up north so cant help you on which ranges rent them. Good Luck :thumbsup:

bladerunner747
05-07-2009, 5:18 AM
LEM, Love it or hate it, it is!
Just spoke to a friend of mine, He decided to get a USP compact with the LEM trigger. I warned him. He got it nevertheless and after the first session at the range, it is now for sale!
Long pull with stacking just before trigger breaks, just when you need your sights to be steady on target. Not for me. I am sure others will differ.
My advice, rent it, shoot it before you buy it. That is the only way you can be sure. Good luck!

trapshot68
05-07-2009, 7:18 AM
I've had two LEM pistols. Notice the HAD part. Just could never get used to it. I guess a crisp tuned 1911 trigger has ruined me. Not to knock it, just wasn't my thing.

However, the new owners of the two that I sold (full size and sk) love it and never looked back.

Best bet, try it.

Vin496
05-07-2009, 7:50 AM
I have a P2000 .40 w/LEM and I love it. it's my home HD gun.

Yes, it took a few range trips to get used to, but once I did, I prefer it for my HD purpose. The 1st shot has a long very light 1st pull then it stacks and breaks, follow up shots have a very short reset with a consistent break. It is not the same as a DA only trigger.

Remember this isn't designed to be a target gun, it's a combat gun. If you want a competition style trigger, this isn't for you.

Also if you don't like it at some point you can switch out the trigger variants, no need to sell the pistol if you want a DA/SA trigger later.

Purdue
05-07-2009, 8:11 AM
I have a HK P2000 V3 in .40 and LOVE it. I have also shot this in the V2 (9mm and .40) and liked both. Now I'm looking to buy one in 9mm. I really like the trigger feel and the gun is very easy to shoot rapidly and group shots without even thinking about it. If anyone has a 9mm for sale, I'm interested!!

nplant
05-07-2009, 8:23 AM
I've tried the 9mm version, and hate the trigger. I'm spoiled with 1911's, too, which, by the way, are combat guns as well.;)

CaliTheKid
05-07-2009, 8:35 AM
I have it on both my carry guns and like it a lot. You can also send your gun to HK and get a slightly lighters version of the LEM trigger installed.

Suvorov
05-07-2009, 9:00 AM
I have USP LEM, it would not have been my first choice but I didn't get a choice in the matter. After more than 1000 rounds and carrying it for a while I can see its advantages as a LEO/HD gun. The trigger is kind of a hybrid of a DAO pistol and a SAO pistol. The closest I can describe it is that it feels like a traditional SA/DA pistol that is firing in SA mode with a heavy trigger brake. The idea was to give the simplicity and safety of a DAO with the short reset of a SA. The trigger brake is designed to reduce NDs and make sure that you really want to pull the trigger, but that said the guns are accurate - you just need to have better trigger discipline to get off an accurate shot. Remember, this system was designed to minimize the chance of a negligent discharge and to make training LEOs (who may have never shot a gun before in their life) easier - it is not a trigger system designed for target shooting.

What is your primary reason for wanting it? If you are wanting it just to have an LEM or primarily for HD/carry use, I'd say it was worth looking into. However, if you are looking for more of a range gun that you can still use for HD/carry then I would personally go with the standard Variant 1-2 pistols. The safety/action of the standard USP design is IMHO the best aspect of the USP giving you the ability to shoot/carry the pistol in either SA "cocked and locked" mode or in traditional double action mode.

As far as getting the gun and finding one at a range, it may be a little tough. The roster only lists the USP40C as being the only USP LEM gun suitable for "non-LEOs" in the great Rupublik of Kalifornia as far as I can tell. :( You can get P2000s with the V2 which are LEM. Of course you can always have the LEM trigger installed by HK after you purchase the pistol.

9mmlaw
05-07-2009, 9:10 AM
I have two LEMs and love them. They are defense/carry guns and are perfect in that role. If my only desire was target shooting I would use something else. Despite other comments, a 1911 only serves as a target gun for me, it is not MY choice as a defensive gun.

Give one a try.

Greg-Dawg
05-07-2009, 9:38 AM
Pass on the LEM. It's too heavy. You end up focusing more on the trigger pull than your sights or target.

aca72
05-07-2009, 9:39 AM
My vote: V3

Eastbayguy
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Sold p2000 LEM, bought USP expert. Much happier now.

Vin496
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Sold p2000 LEM, bought USP expert. Much happier now.

Apple to oranges, different guns.

high_revs
05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
guess it'll be the V3. i do have a usp 9mm already. thanks for the responses! i have my glock as HD and shotgun already. wasn't quite as focused on HD for this pistol.

GTXR390
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
i've got a P2K with V3 SA/DA. I love it, tried the LEM, musta been the lighter trigger LEM (but the guy said it was a 8-12lb trigger, felt really light). didn't like it as much.

high_revs
05-07-2009, 9:20 PM
Well, I went to Target Masters today and tried the P2000 V3. The feel on my hand is much, much better than my USP or Glock. But that trigger.... ummmmm And here I thought my USP needs some improvement compared to my 1911 also. But the trigger on the V3 let me with doubts. It *seems* to have a longer reset than my USP. My hand was tired after 50 rounds though probably better for me because the range was charging almost $22 per 50 of American Eagle ammo!!!! ouch! That's almost twice as much what I get in gunshows or even wally world WWB.

Nonetheless, my wife and I still like it. But she wants the 9mm instead since the recoil is too much for her in the 40. So that'll be the plan, I guess. Appreciate all the feedback from y'all.

GTXR390
05-08-2009, 9:44 AM
Well, I went to Target Masters today and tried the P2000 V3. The feel on my hand is much, much better than my USP or Glock. But that trigger.... ummmmm And here I thought my USP needs some improvement compared to my 1911 also. But the trigger on the V3 let me with doubts. It *seems* to have a longer reset than my USP. My hand was tired after 50 rounds though probably better for me because the range was charging almost $22 per 50 of American Eagle ammo!!!! ouch! That's almost twice as much what I get in gunshows or even wally world WWB.

Nonetheless, my wife and I still like it. But she wants the 9mm instead since the recoil is too much for her in the 40. So that'll be the plan, I guess. Appreciate all the feedback from y'all.

I heard it's quite hard to find a 9mm P2K V3, lemme know if you can find one. I picked my .40 from TM, and they haven't restocked yet...only see SK's there, and none were in 9mm

Rivers
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I have both a P2000sk .40 and a USPf .45 with the LIGHTER 4.5# LEM triggers and they are excellent. No safety lever yet safe to carry with a round in the chamber. The trigger pull is smooth and light, and all rounds get fired SA trigger pull. The DA pull is much heavier and would only come into play should a double-strike ever be necessary. (Never had to do this.) The trigger reset is short and crisp too. No, it isn't a match trigger, it's a combat trigger.

After shooting many other pistols, including SIG and Colt 1911, I think that HK's LEM is a superb combat trigger. Mine are thoroughly broken in and very smooth, light and predictable.

Note - I always seem to read about people saying the trigger pull is too heavy, brutally heavy. Those comments come from people who do not know how to use the LEM trigger. Never ever try the trigger without having racked the slide. You simply will not use the LEM without already having racked the slide and having a round in the chamber. The LEM HK is always ready to fire. No exceptions, unless it's simply not loaded. That heavy trigger is the double-strike should you ever have a light strike or a primer that doesn't go bang. Never had one of those on an HK.

GTXR390
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
i'll concur with the smooth trigger, the LEM .40 P2K i tried had a much smoother trigger than my V3 SA/DA