PDA

View Full Version : .22 pistol suggestions?

TheCilician
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm lookin to buy a new .22 pistol...but I've never had one...any suggestions on reliability, and accuracy?

Also looking in the 250-350 range...no more for a .22 ^^

wellfedirishman
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Look for a Ruger Mk I, II or III with a bull barrel. You should be able to get a decent used one for $250 or so.

They are accurate, reliable, and last forever. My first pistol is a Ruger Mk I 22 5.5 inch bull barrel from the 1970s that had been shot in bullseye competition for years by its previous owner.

It is probably my best semi-auto, and I have several.

Vacaville
05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Ruger Mark II or III. I've got a Mark II 22/45 Target model and I love it. Super reliable and very accurate.

ChaparralCommando
05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
The Browning Buckmark and the Ruger Mk2/3 are the standards. I have a Buckmark Camper model which is a pretty good value, in your price range. There are all kinds of accessories for Buckmarks and probably the Rugers too, so if you want you can trick them out in the future like the competitive shooters do. My buddy has a Ruger and likes it a lot. Both are very accurate and reliable.

TheBundo
05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm lookin to buy a new .22 pistol...but I've never had one...any suggestions on reliability, and accuracy?

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider at Alquist Arms today for $209, with a great "bird's head" grip/handle, and it comes with 2 cylinders, one for 22LR and downward, and one cylinder for 22 Mag. Lifetime warranty. Great deal, IMO, feels as solid as a Ruger

TheCilician
05-07-2009, 9:07 AM
Ruger Mark II or III. I've got a Mark II 22/45 Target model and I love it. Super reliable and very accurate.

I'm finding more and more, as I get into guns that Ruger is the best for anything that shoots .22 haha

TheCilician
05-07-2009, 9:08 AM
I bought a Heritage Rough Rider at Alquist Arms today for $209, with a great "bird's head" grip/handle, and it comes with 2 cylinders, one for 22LR and downward, and one cylinder for 22 Mag. Lifetime warranty. Great deal, IMO, feels as solid as a Ruger

Good deal, I'll check it out.

Gary13
05-07-2009, 9:25 AM

Got my 22/45 from them. Good folks with good prices. I may have to look into getting one of those.

TheCilician
05-07-2009, 9:26 AM
BUt what do you guys think about buying a SIG or even a COLT (even though both are in the $800's) and getting a .22 conversion?

What do you suggest ?

socalr6
05-07-2009, 3:20 PM
sig mosquito? Anyone have one of those? Looks tacicool

kalguns
05-07-2009, 3:57 PM
I like the ruger bearcat. you can shoot .22lr, .22short and .22 mag

sb_pete
05-07-2009, 4:27 PM
Ruger MkII would be my first suggestion. I wouldn't worry about the bull barrel either. They look cooler, but the tapered barrels are still very accurate and are much nicer to handle. They point better IMO, and the extra weight of the bull bbl makes it unpleasant for girls to shoot in my experience. Since the .22 pistol is the first gun I start out new shooters with, this can matter. Anyways, the bull bbl does look cooler and is slightly more accurate. Really, I would just look for them and buy the first one you find at a good price (assuming it is in decent shape anyways).

The MkI is also fun and I have one, but the heel mounted mag release gets annoying.

The buckmark is cool, because you can change out barrels down the line and have multiple bbls for one gun. (you can also do this with the rugers, but since the bbl is the serialed part, it requires an FFL for each one). Tactical Solutions makes very cool upper replacements for both the Ruger MK series (http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=38) and the Buckmark (http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=37). There are also Volquartsen (https://www.volquartsen.com/category/11-mkiii-conversions/6-mkiii)units.

Colt woodsman's are also nice, but I don't really care for their look personally, ymmv.

The Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 both share the same problem. Because they use a full slide over the bbl, and because .22lr is so weak a cartridge, they don't cycle well with anything but high velocity ammo. They look really cool, but the feed ramps have issues with many types of ammo, and they don't reliable cycle with anything but high velocty stuff like CCI stingers which cost ALOT more than the bulk pack you can shoot out of other guns all day long.

The Sig conversion suffers the same issues as the mosquito from what I hear, but I have no personal experience so take that with a grain of salt or three.

The Marvel conversion for 1911' (http://www.marvelprod.com/)s is amazing. It eats anything and is highly accurate. My friend has one and it is a joy to shoot. Like many 1911 conversions it does not use a full slide, so the manual of arms is slightly different, but the end result is that they function as reliably as the MK/Buckmark/Woodsman guns. Kimber (http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/rimfire/), TacSol (http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=29), and Ceiner (http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-pg.htm)also make conversions as do many others, but I have no experience with these.

The CZ Kadet (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=34) is maybe worth looking into for the tacticool setup, or the Kadet conversion (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=35) in conjunction with a CZ75 since you are thinking about the Sig or 1911 conversions. CZ75's are great guns and great bargains. The Kadet package is a little expensive (~$400 iirc), but the savings over a Sig or 1911 would easily outweigh that.

There are other options as well, but those would be the main ones I would be looking at. Once again, I think you will have the most fun and best value out of a simple used Ruger MKII though.

Hope that helps,
-Pete

TheCilician
05-07-2009, 8:52 PM
The CZ Kadet (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=34) is maybe worth looking into for the tacticool setup, or the Kadet conversion (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=35) in conjunction with a CZ75 since you are thinking about the Sig or 1911 conversions. CZ75's are great guns and great bargains. The Kadet package is a little expensive (~$400 iirc), but the savings over a Sig or 1911 would easily outweigh that.

There are other options as well, but those would be the main ones I would be looking at. Once again, I think you will have the most fun and best value out of a simple used Ruger MKII though.

Hope that helps,
-Pete

I've been looking into the CZ 75 lately, and i've decide to probably go for that. I might as well pay some more and get 2 calibers out of it.

Thanks for all your suggestions though....perhaps ill buy a ruger when i have some more cash.

Turo
05-07-2009, 9:16 PM
The MkI is also fun and I have one, but the heel mounted mag release gets annoying.

Really? I've always liked the mag release on those, different, but my thumb was never able to push the regular mag releases. maybe because it was a few years ago and my hands were smaller.

Anyway, @ OP: you really can't go wrong with a ruger mkII/III, they're pretty darn accurate and for the price they can't be beat. that said, I wouldn't get a mkI just because the one my family has is prone to jam anytime we put more than a few mags through it at a time.

Seed
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I've been looking into the CZ 75 lately, and i've decide to probably go for that. I might as well pay some more and get 2 calibers out of it.

Thanks for all your suggestions though....perhaps ill buy a ruger when i have some more cash.

I have the CZ P-01 with the Kadet Kit and it works quite well and is accurate. I had a mosquito. I enjoyed it also but prefer the P-01 with the Kadet. $$$ though.

scc1909
05-08-2009, 5:26 AM
Ruger MkII would be my first suggestion. ... The MkI is also fun and I have one, but the heel mounted mag release gets annoying.

Colt woodsman's are also nice, but I don't really care for their look personally, ymmv.

The Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 both share the same problem. Because they use a full slide over the bbl, and because .22lr is so weak a cartridge, they don't cycle well with anything but high velocity ammo. They look really cool, but the feed ramps have issues with many types of ammo, and they don't reliable cycle with anything but high velocty stuff like CCI stingers which cost ALOT more than the bulk pack you can shoot out of other guns all day long.
Good info here...thanks!

Funny you mention looks. I used to shoot an uncle's Ruger Standard/MkI back in the 60's. The Ruger is a great gun, but its looks always turned me off. "Good looks" are why I was attracted to the Walther P22, but your point about why it malfunctions so frequently with standard bulk ammo is a deal killer. I guess I am back to the Phoenix Arms for an affordable auto loader.

offrdmania
05-08-2009, 7:59 AM
If you can find a Rossi 518 in Cali then I would recommend it first. If not then definitely the Buckmark.

sb_pete
05-08-2009, 2:39 PM
Good info here...thanks!

Funny you mention looks. I used to shoot an uncle's Ruger Standard/MkI back in the 60's. The Ruger is a great gun, but its looks always turned me off. "Good looks" are why I was attracted to the Walther P22, but your point about why it malfunctions so frequently with standard bulk ammo is a deal killer. I guess I am back to the Phoenix Arms for an affordable auto loader.

Yeah, the great 5thing about the P22 and Mosquito is that they look and function like 90% scale versions of their big brothers. This is nice for training purposes as they have the same manual of arms. Unfortunately, in order to do this they need to have a full slide arrangement as opposed to the half slide setup of the 1911 and CZ75 trainers, Buckmark, etc. or the bolt only setup of the Ruger MK series (a la crappy WWII Japanese Nambu pistol actually).

The big disadvantage here is that .22lr doesn't have sufficient recoil to cycle the full steel slide of say a Sig p226. So instead they make them 90% scale and out of lighter thinner aluminum. This helps but still not enough. The slide is still too heavy and doesn't work well with anything but stingers, velociters, etc. Some people think it is just a feed ramp issue, but they still do not work well with bulk pack or subsonic even if you polish the feed ramp. They look cool, but they'd look a lot cooler if they worked with bulk pack...

Oh well. I am envious of you going for the CZ75 setup, I really want one of those too. Nice gun. :thumbsup:

Now... hurry up and buy it and then post pics ;)
-Pete

Seagrave7
05-08-2009, 3:58 PM
I have a Kimber Rimfire Target and it works great.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/rimfire/rimfire_target/

Crawfish141
05-08-2009, 4:18 PM

I suggest a Ruger Mark III, they're a good blend of price, reliability, and accuracy.

JagerTroop
05-08-2009, 5:35 PM

+1 :thumbsup:

Jonathan Doe
05-08-2009, 8:20 PM
I bought a Colt Woodsman last November from Turners on Consignment at a good price. I have shot a Sig Mosquito, and I jammed quite a lot.

Rem222
05-08-2009, 9:47 PM
A little over your price range but perhaps a Ruger Single Six Revolver. They have been around for years. 22LR and 22Mag.

Lazy-8
05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a Model 41 and I love it.

shooter65
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
browning buck mark bullseye

oakland1067
05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
If it's vintage then a Colt Woodsman or High Standard, modern Ruger Mark II or III or Buckmarks. Don't forget the revolvers if you can find them. I have a H&R Sportsman and a Rossi S&W kit gun copy that hit right where I point them.

Gunaria
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
I was at Bass Pro the other day and the had some S&W for $159 and the Buckmark for $299. Now finding ammo is another story.

chansen49
05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
My mark 3 hunter was f-ed out of the box,, sent back to ruger, still no good, now they f-ed the trigger up too!
200 rounds tonight of CCI minimag.. about 6 total jams.. WAY to many IMO
The cheap smith and wesson works great.. My buddy has one..

TheCilician
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh well. I am envious of you going for the CZ75 setup, I really want one of those too. Nice gun. :thumbsup:

Now... hurry up and buy it and then post pics ;)
-Pete

Haha, I am still looking, but will do soon!

luchador768
05-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I suggest a Ruger Mark III, they're a good blend of price, reliability, and accuracy.

I just picked up a Mk III Hunter in stainless with a 6 inch barrel. I totally love it!! An amazing little handgun for the money. I had a Mk II years ago and really liked that as well. The Mk III is about $500 plus, if you can find one in stock.

maxicon
05-15-2009, 9:42 AM
The big disadvantage here is that .22lr doesn't have sufficient recoil to cycle the full steel slide of say a Sig p226. So instead they make them 90% scale and out of lighter thinner aluminum. This helps but still not enough. The slide is still too heavy and doesn't work well with anything but stingers, velociters, etc.

The Mosquito and P22 slides are zinc, not aluminum. Definitely not guns to get for handing down to your grandchildren.

+1 on a Ruger MkII or Buckmark. Mosquito and P22 are fun plinkers, but accuracy's not very good, reliability's not very good, and construction's not very good. They look good, though!

scvpiper
05-15-2009, 4:06 PM
I got my kids the Beretta U22 6". Shoots great!! Top rail mount sights next is sighting their new red dot scope.
Now trying to find 22lr is a bear!!!!!!!

GunOwner
05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Smith & Wesson 22A - I have one and love it. Great balance - never jams (almost) - very accurate.

mala in se
05-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I have a Model 41 and I love it.

by far the most accurate handgun in my collection. i'm surprised it took 3 pages before it was even mentioned.

not the cheapest, but the most accurate of all that have been listed here.