PDA

View Full Version : How big of trouble is my friend in?

Oldnoob
05-06-2009, 8:45 PM
Well, I just recently learn that in CA, we can only sell/trade/give out 5 handguns per year. So I was taking to my co worker/friend about it, and he at first don't believe me until I sent him the link (the quote fellow calgunner sent me). Than he told me that last year, he sold over 7 handguns through PPT all to different buyers (at different setting). :kest:

So how big of trouble is he in? The kind of he should pay some ticket or the kind he should pack his bag and take the next bus to Mexico?

ke6guj
05-06-2009, 8:47 PM
you meant, "all to different buyers", right?

I think it would depend on if your friend was on LE's "radar" for acting as an unlicensed dealer. Was he flipping handguns, or did he just need some money and liquidate part of a collection?

maschronic
05-06-2009, 8:52 PM
did someone come knocking on the door? just curious, did you also find out if rifles falls under the same number as handguns?

Oldnoob
05-06-2009, 8:57 PM
you meant, "all to different buyers", right?

I think it would depend on if your friend was on LE's "radar" for acting as an unlicensed dealer. Was he flipping handguns, or did he just need some money and liquidate part of a collection?

yeh, sorry, I mean "buyers". As far as I can tell, he is a law abiding citizen just like you and me. His newly wedded wife just give a birth to a beautiful baby girl, so I would assume he was selling some of his collection for that reason.

Oldnoob
05-06-2009, 8:58 PM
did someone come knocking on the door? just curious, did you also find out if rifles falls under the same number as handguns?

No one knock on the door yet. Rifle don't not count in this law.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175020 this was the thread I ask on calgun, about the limit of handgun sells per year.

maschronic
05-06-2009, 8:59 PM
No one knock on the door yet. Rifle don't not count in this law.

ok. thanks!!

kermit315
05-06-2009, 8:59 PM
he is probably fine. unless they come knocking, I wouldnt worry too much about it. if they do, tell him to explain the situation.

Its stupid laws like that one that turn otherwise law abiding citizens into "criminals".

ke6guj
05-06-2009, 9:01 PM
just curious, did you also find out if rifles falls under the same number as handguns?

12070(c)
(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without regularity. long guns fall under a different section of the code that is not speciified to as the exact number of long guns you may transfer.

edit: to the OP, your friend is probably OK. Many people have violated the "less than six transactions" without being busted for it. The law is there, and can be enforced, but I think CADOJ does look at the person's history on that. Just like the 1-in-30-day handgun violation is actually a punishable crime, but it seems that they normally just void the DROS and have you redo it.

Oldnoob
05-06-2009, 9:09 PM
I was hoping about if he can pay the fund/ticket and get this thing over with. I know he want to get into either fire fighter or law enforcement field (I'm pretty sure the first). And I don't want this little episode will cost his future.

ke6guj
05-06-2009, 9:15 PM
I was hoping about if he can pay the fund/ticket and get this thing over with.there's no fund/ticket he can just pay and clear it. He would just have to wait to see if they ever knocked on his door about it.

jamesob
05-06-2009, 9:19 PM
he is fine, there is nothing wrong with a total liquidation if you need the cash to pay bills.

bohoki
05-06-2009, 11:33 PM
generally that little provision of the law has been pretty much on the honor system

the dros system doesnt seem very interested in the seller unless the gun is stolen

tgriffin
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Your friend is probably fine as mentioned. I wouldnt sweat it. Now if multiple guns he sold were used to commit a crime and were to be recovered...That might be a different story.

zinfull
05-07-2009, 9:24 AM
I believe that the law was to make you get a dealers license if you were selling that may guns per year.

jerry

geeknow
05-07-2009, 9:30 AM
Well, I just recently learn that in CA, we can only sell/trade/give out 5 handguns per year. So I was taking to my co worker/friend about it, and he at first don't believe me until I sent him the link (the quote fellow calgunner sent me). Than he told me that last year, he sold over 7 handguns through PPT all to different buyers (at different setting). :kest:

So how big of trouble is he in? The kind of he should pay some ticket or the kind he should pack his bag and take the next bus to Mexico?

I have wondered this too...

Here is my take (learned ones please feel free to correct);

Your friend, based upon the above, did not transfer one single firearm. The dealer did as the licensed, legit, transfer dealer.

Table Rock Arms
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM

When you say "he sold over 7 handguns", are you referring to 8 or a much larger number?