View Full Version : Ruger New Vaquero Laser Grips?

05-06-2009, 7:31 PM
Anyone know where you can buy laser grips for a Ruger Blackhawk, single six or New Vaquero? Example would be: Crimson Trace LG-210.

It seems this model laser grip has been discontinued and everyone that I've called online does not have one in stock. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Dave.

05-07-2009, 9:17 AM
The Crimson Trace lasergrip is for the Ruger SA "XR3-RED" grip frame. The NewVaq takes the XR3...so even if you can find the Crimson Trace grips you'd have to swap grip frames too.

Graft a mount for a "barrel style" laser onto an ejector rod housing maybe?

The thing about lasers is they're not all that fast, BUT the psychological effect when you paint a goblin with one is just huge :). They're worth it for that alone.

And yeah, I'd desecrate a NewVaq with a laser. Oh yeah. Bigtime.

In case you're curious as to what weirdness is going on here:

My front sight has changed since this pic was taken: I've removed the fiber optic core, and "blackened" the front mini-hex more. I'm working on a completely revised front that will be closer to Tim Sheehan's originals.

This is not a "normal" aperture sight - it's based off the Goshen Enterprises "Hexsite" concept by Tim Sheehan:

You use these by shooting both eyes open, and focusing on the TARGET, not the front sight. Tim's breakthrough it that this sight design can be used even when "blurry".

Weirder yet, it "feels like" your subconscious mind is able to deal with sights and gun alignment while your conscious mind is working on threats and targets. It is impossible to overstate what a huge difference this is and what a major boost in speed and confidence you get.

A couple of months ago a cop in Michigan knocked on a pot-head's door with a search warrant. It wasn't a no-knock dynamic entry. The cop shined a light in the pot-head's eyes, pot-head flinched and tried to cover his eyes, cop shot him due to the flinch. Turns out he was unarmed and a total pacifist (not to mention apparently not a dealer at all) and the department is going to have to pay out megabucks. Fortunately the guy appears to have survived, with damage to both his right lung and liver.

How much do you want to bet that the cop was focused on the front sight, and couldn't tell whether a sudden hand motion involved a weapon or not?

And if that's the case, how many other bad shoots have the same cause? What about Amadou Diallo, shot 41 times in New York for pulling a wallet? Granted, this class of accident is thankfully not that common, but it's a fiasco and a half when it does...and if it's happening to cops, it could happen to any of us.

There's other ways to get a target-focus sighting system that are already well-accepted. In handguns, reflex and tubular red-dots are well known but involve glass and batteries most people don't want to deal with. Scoped rifles are all target-focus and that's been the norm for generations.

If I'm focused on the front sight and the target makes a sudden move, I can't tell what the target is actually doing, just that they (or something near them) did "something".

If on the other hand I'm focused on the target, I can tell if they just pulled out a cellphone versus a knife, or a black wallet as opposed to a small black .380.

Shooting these sights, focused on the target, you really can make those distinctions.

If Tim Sheehan really has figured out a target-focus sight setup that doesn't need glass, batteries or wires, it would be a breakthrough. And from everything I can tell, broadly duplicating his work before ever having seen his hardware other than pics, he really has.

At his invitation I went to Sedona and we talked at his shop for a few hours about a month ago.

His front sight for handguns is virtually identical to a stock sight in height, for maximum holster compatibility. His rear sight has a smaller internal hex than mine and a smaller overall profile, and the shape as seen from the side is radically different from mine for easier holstering and to avoid interference with racking the slide.

When he first handed me an airsoft Glock set up with his newest sights, I couldn't tell if it was the older steel rear sight or the newer polymer. So I tapped it on my tooth, and thought it was steel from that. Nope - it's one seriously high-grade polymer. Tap two together and they make a metallic "tink!" sound. There's no possible "black finish wear" that could result in a silvery glint to the sight - it's jet black all the way through and most certainly NOT likely to wear anytime soon (like say the next 200+ years).

The new front is also polymer, molded around a brass core with steel mounting hardware that has points and divots in various directions to ensure solid lockup with the polymer molded around it. This is basically how a Glock frame is made (polymer molded around metal) and that's well-tested tech.

It turns out his oldest prototype rear sight did NOT involve a chopped-up socket . He pressed a hex key into moldable epoxy which of course has me thinking "DOH why didn't I think of that!".

We did some low-light drills with both his sight and mine, in which I froze on dropping the hammer and then he lit up my sights with a flashlight. They were right on target, and I'm thankful to say both types worked...his slightly faster, probably due to my current front sight. That's getting completely rebuilt in the next few days and the "minihex" nut is going away. Pics coming. Since I don't have any material as black as his, I'm going to try doing a rectangular brass "tombstone shape" that's hollow inside, plugged at the back and structurally supported there, well over 1/4" deep and painted black inside...basically use shadow to create "perfect blackness" and use cold blue to darken the front edges of the brass same as I use on the rear sight tube now.

The only advantage my setup has over his right now is a deeper "shadow channel" at the back of the rear sight - my hex is in the outer tube deeper than his. My rear sight is much longer than his, and I used a deeper shadow to compensate for the fact that my materials inside (black-enameled steel socket remnant) are shinier than his polymer. The polymer is very glint-resistant so this hardly matters; the obvious upsides to his are toughness (my brass could bend if dropped) and his isn't just smaller sized, but is also more compatible with holsters and slide manipulation on an auto.

The Hexsite concept involves trying to get both front and rear sights glint-free and as black as possible, so that any target lit up enough to identify will be lit enough to contrast with the sights. This is totally alien to how tritium sights work.

His priority right now is ramping up production on the Hexsites, which will include Sig-compatible variants.

05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Nice gun! Makes me wanna get one too...

05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey, thanks for the insight...no pun intended, LOL! Seriously, thanks for giving me an education. I'll look into this approach with regard to sighting my Ruger.