PDA

View Full Version : At what age

Too Slow
05-06-2009, 3:50 PM
did you buy your kid their first firearm. I've decided it will be a classic 10/22, no handguns so he can't shoot himself accidently.

Thoughts?

bongfoo
05-06-2009, 3:58 PM
i have 3 kids. my oldest (15) doesn't want to shoot but my 2 younger ones love to. i just bought the 2 of them (my 8yo son and my 10yo daughter) a 10/22. the first gun they've ever fired was my glock 17.

Erik S. Klein
05-06-2009, 4:17 PM
It depends on the kid, IMO.

My 7YO is way too excitable and probably won't be ready until his teens, at the earliest.

My 5YO is far more level-headed and might be ready sooner.

Of course, my wife (not thrilled about guns at all) probably won't let either shoot until way past their prime. ;)

Jonathan Doe
05-06-2009, 4:57 PM
My children started at about 5 years old with a Chipmunk 22LR. Now they are grown, I don't need the Chipmunk any longer. But, I guess I will keep it for the heck of it for the sake of the signature on it.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/AuthographSmall.jpg

Arteel
05-06-2009, 5:09 PM
I wish my parent got me into shooting at a young age. Would have called it quality time..

clonepsi
05-06-2009, 5:14 PM
I got A Remington 870 12g Magnum for my first gun on my tenth birthday. It aint no 10/22

mcat707
05-06-2009, 5:43 PM
My children started at about 5 years old with a Chipmunk 22LR. Now they are grown, I don't need the Chipmunk any longer. But, I guess I will keep it for the heck of it for the sake of the signature on it.

Looks like those were autographed by Arnold Schwarzenegger?

CSACANNONEER
05-06-2009, 5:47 PM
I wasn't allowed to shoot until I got my first single shot .22 at the ripe old age of 12. I think my mom had a lot to do with it. I have taken kids as young as 5 or 6 shooting. Although, it does depend on the individual maturity level, I feel that getting over the curiosity factor and learning how to safely handle firearms should be done asap! Also, I prefer to teach people how to shoot with a non-repeating rifle. That way they don't just learn to spray and pray. Instead, they take their time and learn proper shooting techniques.

bongfoo
05-06-2009, 6:24 PM
I wasn't allowed to shoot until I got my first single shot .22 at the ripe old age of 12. I think my mom had a lot to do with it. I have taken kids as young as 5 or 6 shooting. Although, it does depend on the individual maturity level, I feel that getting over the curiosity factor and learning how to safely handle firearms should be done asap! Also, I prefer to teach people how to shoot with a non-repeating rifle. That way they don't just learn to spray and pray. Instead, they take their time and learn proper shooting techniques.

i concure. i firmly believe that most of these accedental child shootings can be avoided my simple removing the curiosity factor. it's when you get the combination of curiosity and ignorance that accedents happen and children get hurt. yes adults also get hurt due to ignorance. but once again if you start them out early, that removes the curiosity and the ignorance. that is why when i bring home a new toy, the first thing i do is gather up the youngens. i go over the safety rules of handling a firearm and them make them demonstrate the safe handling of THAT PARTICULAR WEAPON. (IE keep finger off the trigger, muzzle control, place it on safe, verify it's unloaded (both visualy and physically). i make them do this with EVERY firearm i own. reguardless of weather i think the gun is too powerful for them or not. they have handled and made safe every firearm i own, from glock17 to ruger m77 7mm rem mag. my wife disagreed with me at first untill i pulled a test on the kids with her knowing what was going on. i left my glock out on the counter with a telltale for 3 days and it never moved. then i asked my kids to show mommy how to make a gun safe... she never questioned me again on the subject after that.

CSACANNONEER
05-06-2009, 6:33 PM
i concure. i firmly believe that most of these accedental child shootings can be avoided my simple removing the curiosity factor. it's when you get the combination of curiosity and ignorance that accedents happen and children get hurt. yes adults also get hurt due to ignorance. but once again if you start them out early, that removes the curiosity and the ignorance. that is why when i bring home a new toy, the first thing i do is gather up the youngens. i go over the safety rules of handling a firearm and them make them demonstrate the safe handling of THAT PARTICULAR WEAPON. (IE keep finger off the trigger, muzzle control, place it on safe, verify it's unloaded (both visualy and physically). i make them do this with EVERY firearm i own. reguardless of weather i think the gun is too powerful for them or not. they have handled and made safe every firearm i own, from glock17 to ruger m77 7mm rem mag. my wife disagreed with me at first untill i pulled a test on the kids with her knowing what was going on. i left my glock out on the counter with a telltale for 3 days and it never moved. then i asked my kids to show mommy how to make a gun safe... she never questioned me again on the subject after that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Travis8128
05-06-2009, 6:36 PM
did you buy your kid their first firearm. I've decided it will be a classic 10/22, no handguns so he can't shoot himself accidently.

Thoughts?

im 15. Got my first firearm at 15.

Id have to say its good bonding material and probably one of the only reasons i have a relationship with my dad today.

But only if your son is interested.

Id say let him know what a gun is and when he starts asking for one its time.

Travis8128
05-06-2009, 6:40 PM
also, I Dont think its the age you should be worrying about.

Its the safety and respect he demonstrates with firearms before you go about getting one of his own.

So once he starts showing that your good to go.

How old is he?

WyoDuner
05-06-2009, 6:50 PM
I bought my son his .22 pistol for his 7th birthday. Prior to that I worked him up from pellet gun to shooting my other guns then bought him his own when he showed the skill, maturity and ability to safely handle a loaded weapon that could kill dad...

I thought about getting him a youth stock for one of my 10/22s but haven't got around to that. Maybe for his 8th birthday.

No doubt there are people - even gun advocates - that probably think 7 is too young to own a gun but I would disagree. It probably is too young for most or many kids but it depends on the training, intellect and maturity of the child in question.

I'll really go out on a limb here which will almost certainly get me flamed.

I am working in CA and my family is in AZ - just my wife and son there. Like any father/husband I worry for their safety since I am not there to protect them. We all know the police can't protect them so they have to be able to protect themselves in the event a home invasion occurs. Can you see where this is going.....

I keep handguns loaded in the house, out of plain site of course, but accessible to my family in the event they need to use one to protect themselves. I know for a fact - for a fact - that my son would never, ever, ever do anything dangerous or careless with those weapons. A gun locked up in a safe, not loaded is of absolutely, positively no use if an invasion occurs. They WILL remain accessible. If there is company at the house the guns are stashed away of course...

Sorry for the rant, this thread just got me thinking about children and guns and my personal situation.

hybridatsun350
05-06-2009, 6:52 PM

How did you get Arnold Schwarzenegger to sign those? lol

WyoDuner
05-06-2009, 6:55 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man, I am totally there with you on this one. I do the same thing. My family MUST know how all of these weapons operate.

ivanimal
05-06-2009, 6:57 PM
3 months before he was born. Rossi Matched Pair.

Travis8128
05-06-2009, 7:00 PM

lol:43:

M. Sage
05-06-2009, 7:02 PM

Oh, that's it... I'm going to have to one-up you and buy a gun for my kid now.

And my wife isn't even pregnant!

ivanimal
05-06-2009, 7:05 PM
Oh, that's it... I'm going to have to one-up you and buy a gun for my kid now.

And my wife isn't even pregnant!

My bro had me beat by a year. Remington pump from the 30's it was in my safe 1 year before we announced.:)

Jonathan Doe
05-06-2009, 7:10 PM
How did you get Arnold Schwarzenegger to sign those? lol

It was about 11 years ago. I just told him, "if you put your hands on my guns, you better sign your name on it also." He complied.:thumbsup:

He only signed two guns in his life, and I have both of them.

Travis8128
05-06-2009, 7:12 PM
I just told him, "if you put your hands on my guns, you better sign you name on it also." He complied.:thumbsup:

He only signed tow guns in his life, and I have both of them.

why would he have his hands on them?

amurphy
05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
My father bought me a pump .22 Rossi when I was 10. Before that he had me learn on his Ruger MKI, and I think it was a Luger. Not sure now as he sold it. Also was able to fire what you see in the picture (with help from dad) Scan of a Polaroid. http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/warmurphy/scan0003.jpg

Too Slow
05-07-2009, 1:24 PM
also, I Dont think its the age you should be worrying about.

Its the safety and respect he demonstrates with firearms before you go about getting one of his own.

So once he starts showing that your good to go.

How old is he?

Oldest boy is 5, but I have a new boy that is 5 months. He just started rolling over so I think I have a little time.

Jonathan Doe
05-07-2009, 3:50 PM
why would he have his hands on them?

He has a beautiful Perazzi trap shotgun that he shot at my range. When he was done, he wanted to shoot skeet, but he didn't have a gun for it. So, he borrowed mind and I told him he need to put his name on my shotgun.

When he came back in 2 weeks, I told him that my son said his authograph was awesome on my gun, and he'd better put his name on my son's rifle, too. He did, and my son was very happy.

xgi1991
05-07-2009, 5:24 PM
As long as they understand the associated risk involved with firearms, there is no set age limit. I shot my first deer at age 13 with a 1917 Eddystone 30.06 (which I still have). Shot my first firearm long before that around age 4. My daughter, age 4, has already shot a BB gun and helped her daddy clean the big guys. It all depends on the proper instruction and the childs willingness to learn. But if there are firearms in the house, the sooner the better.

xibunkrlilkidsx
05-07-2009, 8:32 PM
It depends on the kid, IMO.

My 7YO is way too excitable and probably won't be ready until his teens, at the earliest.

My 5YO is far more level-headed and might be ready sooner.

Of course, my wife (not thrilled about guns at all) probably won't let either shoot until way past their prime. ;)

what she dont know dont hurt her.. but if she is anything like most women they end up finding out anyways. Just tell her you are teaching them at a young age to respect firearms and am teaching them a level of discipline and patience that will benifit them later in life.

brassburnz
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
It just depends on the kid. I got bolt action .22 rifles for my daughter when she was 12 and my son was 9. They don't really like to shoot them because the stocks are too long. My daughter prefers my Colt 1911 with a Marvel conversion, so I built another one just for her.

Turo
05-08-2009, 1:48 AM
Don't have any kids of my own, seeing as i'm 20, unmarried, and going to school, but my Dad bought me my first gun for my 13th birthday, a 20ga pump shotgun. Got it so I could go trap shooting with him and his buddies, and dove hunting when the season came about.

And since this is becoming a "minimum age to shoot" thread, I'll mention that my Dad had me shooting cans in the back yard with a pellet gun at age 4.

ERdept
05-08-2009, 4:06 AM

Thoughts?

I was taught to shoot when seven, in Texas. But, I feel that they need to older than when I was taught. Probably teens.

Edge
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I think it depends on how mature the child is, but around 7 or 8 is a good age to start. I learned on a Crossman bb/pellet gun, then went to a .22 rifle, then 22 Ruger Mark 1.

Travis8128
05-11-2009, 6:12 PM
I think it depends on how mature the child is, but around 7 or 8 is a good age to start. I learned on a Crossman bb/pellet gun, then went to a .22 rifle, then 22 Ruger Mark 1.

that's how i learned to.

And really emphasize how dangerous just a bb gun CAN be.

So he will respect that.

And by the time he goes up to a gun there will be twice the respect.

Rule .308
05-11-2009, 6:29 PM
There were always plenty of kid sized guns in the house for them to shoot but I did not buy them their own guns until their 16th birthdays. They ended up with Swede Mauser, carbine length FAL, and a Benelli Nova shotgun. All 3 of those kids learned to shoot on a single shot .22 Ithaca

TreboR
05-12-2009, 9:20 AM
Started my kids on airsofts at age 9 and 10. They are now 13 and 14 and are shooting 10/22's, 9mm, .223 and 12gauge ...supervised of course.

gdun
05-12-2009, 6:26 PM
I've been shooting guns since i could hold em, and my dad was always real careful with us kids. We've all learned how to handle guns from him. anyway, so i have shot a long time, but never really needed my "own" gun since we always had plenty of guns. But my dad bought me my remington 870 when i started hunting at 10

FeuerFrei
05-13-2009, 7:20 PM
Depends on the kid and maturity level.
Know your kid and you'll make the right choice.
Just being exposed to real guns and safe gun handling goes a long way to making them feel comfortable around firearms.
Suggest always start with .22LR bolt gun. (single shot).

JTFPEST
05-13-2009, 8:00 PM
i've had weapons i the house since my daughters were born and put the seed in thier mind when they started seeeing me with them. last weekend was the first time they wanted to pick up my pellet rifle. they loved it and it only took them tell the age of 13 and ten. maybe if i'm lucky the next time I go to the range I can get them on the .22's paticence is bliss.....

a1fabweld
05-13-2009, 9:39 PM
My daughter is 4 & my son is 2. They each have their own GSG-5 (plus my entire collection someday) even though they aren't old enough to shoot. Time will tell when they are mature enough to handle a firearm safely. No harm in buying now, because by the time they are ready, these guns may be outlawed or way overpriced.

Coastey
05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
My Dad let me shoot his .38 M&P when I was five or six. He gave me a .22 Remington 511-X when I was ten. Kept it in my room with a couple of boxes of ammo. No locks, no bolts or magazines removed, no problem. Got a 30-06 and a 20 gauge when I got my hunting license at age 12.

My ex is very anti-gun and my kids live(d) with her. Consequently my daughter has no interest in shooting although she grew up hearing my sister (her aunt) tell stories about outshooting her boyfriends. My youngest son however likes to shoot. He just turned 18 and I gave him a Garand and a spam can of ammo for his birthday.

otteray
05-14-2009, 8:02 AM
Dad gave me a Winchester or Remington single shot .22 rifle when I was about eight years old (1958.)
Shortly afterwords, I poked the muzzle down a vermin's burrow outside our cabin in Apple Valley. Got a clod of dirt stuck in it, so I showed it to Dad.:oops:
I didn't get the rifle back from Dad for a year, and my fanny hurt for about that long, too.

bambihunter
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I've got a story. I bought my friends 4yo daughter a red ryder bb gun for her 4 yo b day. There was about 30 people there watching her open her gifts, when the gun was unwrapped I swear I heard gasps...
Shes able to use it safely, is exhibiting good gun handling skills and posture, and can hit a can at about 20 feet...
I would say get the kid handling a gun when he/she can handle it themselves in a safe manner... I started at about 5 or so...

low94noma
05-15-2009, 1:55 PM
Good idea with the .22lr bolt action. For plinking and short range stuff (around 50 yards, I really like the semi autos. Bolt actions I would prefer for small-bore precision shooting, and would definitely be safer in a way with a single shot bolt action. I learned firearm safety around 10 or 11 years old with an air rifle and spring loaded handgun:). It is funny my mom gives me sh** for being a gun nut, she started it, lol.

Toolbox X
05-15-2009, 2:16 PM
I've got two sons, ages 2 and 4. As soon as the first one was born I began asking people this very question. After talking to a lot of people the wisest answer I found is this:

Every kid is different. One guy said his first son was ready at age five and his second wasn't ready until age eleven. There is no general age you can use as a rule. A kid is ready when they are ready. Hell, I know a lot of adults that still aren't ready.

rimfire17
06-12-2009, 4:20 PM
I think starting them early demystifies guns and also teaches them good safety habits. Instead of the Ruger 10/22, look for a small bolt action like the Crickett. I also hear CZ makes a good one. Save the 10/22 for a gift when they're 10 and older.

The NRA Eddie Eagle safety program is awesome. I highly recommend getting some of their material for your kids. I did the whole program for my daughter's 2nd grade class, but that was in Georgia where things are more civilized. I doubt I could even get anyone to listen to me if I volunteered to do it in California.

Can't buy anything here
06-12-2009, 5:14 PM
Mine was around a week old...but with the waiting period, he got to see it at 4 months...:)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/lowflash/FirstGun.jpg

rckjeep
06-12-2009, 5:42 PM
I just had my second child on June 1st. My son, almost 5 has shot my airsoft a bit and watched me clean birds and even shoot some. He's been too the range and did ok. I've had him safely handle my guns without issue. It was sort of a shock when he know how to cock the hammer on my Blackhawk. Guess it makes sense he's got a single action cap gun. I have a harder time teaching the wife safe gun handling. Good luck with your kids and I agree teach them young.

rabagley
06-12-2009, 7:37 PM
My girl is 10 months old. I'm still modifying a Marlin 39A down to 26.25" long to be her first gun.

We'll take it out when she's ready. I'm hoping four or five or so.

rimfire17
06-12-2009, 10:15 PM
For Dad's with daughters:

We had guns in the house from the time I could remember and I loved sitting and watching my Dad clean them. When I got older I always badgered him to take me shooting, but he never did.

He gave my brother a shotgun, but my brother was so hippified, he let it rust and my Dad took it back.

He never did take me shooting. I think he missed out on a great bonding opportunity.

So when I got old enough, I bought my own guns. :-) My Dad says he regrets not taking me, but he was old school and didn't think girls should be taught to shoot.

He's changed that opinion.

The point is -- give your daughters a chance to go shooting with you. As they get older, it gets more and more difficult to find something to do with them. Shooting is an activity that can keep you close.

Plus, when they move off on their own, they should be armed. I kept a Glock 9mm on the headboard. It gave one boyfriend serious performance anxiety!

BTW, I gave my daughter a red ryder at 5.

forgiven
06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Started both my sons shooting .22's at the ages of 4 & 6. Gave them their first guns for Christmas at the ages of 6 & 8. The gifts were Ruger Bearcats and Marlin stainless semi-auto rifles.
I've given my sons many guns since and their now both grown and responsible men, never once gave my wife and I any kind of problems. I firmly believe that a family who hunts and shoots together stays together.

Z ME FLY
06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I think it depends on the way the kid follows directions. Some of my younger cousins are very smart, listen, and have common sense. The other ones don't listen and just do whatever they want. I really wish my dad was into shooting. I remember when I FINALLY got a BB air rifle when I was 12... a month later my mom threw it away.
Finding something in common with your kids=quality time= better relationship. I can tell you if my parents accepted and were into guns we would have a lot better relationship. Plus you start them off young, give them common sense when it comes to guns, later on they will be a lot safer. Plus having two extra small hands to help load mags are always good!

Z ME FLY
06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I've given my sons many guns since and their now both grown and responsible men, never once gave my wife and I any kind of problems. I firmly believe that a family who hunts and shoots together stays together.

haha wish my folks were like this....

lokote
06-21-2009, 3:14 PM
i shot my first gun (a 12 gauge) at age six with my uncle which was a horrible experience i had a bad azz bruise for a couple of weeks but my first gun was a marlin 925m that my dad got me

dan12580
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
i got my son a wingmaster jr. a little early, ill admit, hes 21 months but the wife can shoot:D it until he can. other then that hes got around 40 or 50 guns should i keel over anytime soon. damn i cant wait to take him out shooting.

highpowermatch
06-25-2009, 3:48 PM
Both my son and daughter were 7 when they got their first rifle. they were shooting since they were 6 and can recite range safety as if it were their abc's. Am very proud!