PDA

View Full Version : Getting started - handgun shooting the proper way

Requiem
05-06-2009, 3:23 PM
So up until now I've really only shot rifles without the chance to learn the correct ways to shoot handguns. I'm wondering if someone can give me some pointers and web links for helping me get started on the right track without developing bad habits when I do end up shooting for my first time at the range. I'm interested in the tactical marksmanship mostly (human silhouette targets) but what other type of shooting is there?

Dangerous1
05-06-2009, 3:28 PM
Use the pad of your pointer finger and not the joint.

rkt88edmo
05-06-2009, 3:30 PM
google todd jarrett he has some online vids.

Sam
05-06-2009, 3:54 PM
Take a class from an instructor that is qualified. The information and skills that were introduced were the best use of my money to date concerning firearms.

B Strong
05-06-2009, 4:04 PM
So up until now I've really only shot rifles without the chance to learn the correct ways to shoot handguns. I'm wondering if someone can give me some pointers and web links for helping me get started on the right track without developing bad habits when I do end up shooting for my first time at the range. I'm interested in the tactical marksmanship mostly (human silhouette targets) but what other type of shooting is there?

Go to Ebay and get one of the Front Sight first timer 4 day pistol class certificates and get some professional instruction right out of the gate.

Getting a foot up on skills development will help you immensely.

kermit315
05-06-2009, 4:15 PM
what everybody else said. if you get instruction now, you wont have as many bad habits to try to break later.

Greg-Dawg
05-06-2009, 4:27 PM
Take a class. Start out with Basic Handgun and work your way up.

AMERBOY
05-06-2009, 5:22 PM
best thing i ever did was take a basic handgun class.learn the right way and you wont get into any real bad habits.

barrym66
05-06-2009, 5:29 PM
Go to Ebay and get one of the Front Sight first timer 4 day pistol class certificates and get some professional instruction right out of the gate.

Getting a foot up on skills development will help you immensely.

+1 on this - I attended Front Sight in early April and it was by far the best money I've ever spent, skills-wise. I'm going back in June for the next class.

If you are interested, I have a few first-timer (white) certificates that I'll be selling here shortly for $200. Good for the 4-day handgun, shotgun, or rifle courses (or 2x, 2 day courses). PM me if interested.

Barry

Requiem
05-06-2009, 5:34 PM
I don't feel like driving all the way to Las Vegas. Front Sight sounds great and all but it's way too far away and way too expensive. It also seems kind of scam-like...

The guy giving away 4 day handgun courses and a whole **** ton of stuff including a new springfield xd (overall worth $4,000) for only $1200?

I don't know. I'm just gonna get a handgun and have a friend who's developed good shooting habits teach me. Or find a cheap basic handgun course that will show me the essentials to develop good handgun habits.

barrym66
05-06-2009, 5:43 PM
I don't feel like driving all the way to Las Vegas. Front Sight sounds great and all but it's way too far away and way too expensive. It also seems kind of scam-like...

The guy giving away 4 day handgun courses and a whole **** ton of stuff including a new springfield xd (overall worth $4,000) for only $1200?

I don't know. I'm just gonna get a handgun and have a friend who's developed good shooting habits teach me. Or find a cheap basic handgun course that will show me the essentials to develop good handgun habits.

I felt the same way before I attended, but sice the class cost was only $200 (I bought a white cert on Ebay), I gave it a try. My total cost was about $750 all up (hotel, class cert, 800 rounds of ammo, food and gas from San Diego). There were people from all over the US and 6 people from Italy, Canada, and England in my class of 40 people.

Regardless, taking a class, any class, is better than just going to the range and plinking away.

+1 to you for taking the intelligent approach and asking for advice first - good luck and good learning!

Barry

B Strong
05-06-2009, 5:45 PM

I've gone, I've trained, I enjoyed myself. Buy a certificate from someone on Ebay with mucho positive feedback, or the gentleman who posted above offering the certificate for $200.00.

It's not so long a trip as you'd think, rooms aren't that expensive.You're biggest cost is the case of ammo you'll go through, and you can even rent Glocks on site and leave the cleaning to the FS staff.

dchang0
05-06-2009, 6:13 PM
Suarez Int'l does plenty of handgun classes in Calif. esskay turned me on to them, and I had a lot of fun at the last class. I have also seen classes in progress at various local indoor ranges such as On Target down in Laguna Niguel.

But, if you don't want to take a course in person, there are plenty of videos from reputable trainers online. Basically, keep your grip "high-tang" (as high up the buttstrap as possible), wrap as much of your support hand onto the remaining portions of the grip as possible, keep your thumbs high along the slide, don't put your support hand index finger on the outside of the trigger guard, extend your arms out fully in a locked-elbow isoceles with a martial-arts-type active stance (slight lean forward into the gun to absorb recoil) and use just the pad of your finger on the trigger.

WyoDuner
05-06-2009, 6:31 PM
If you are not interested in the class I'll offer this. Just my opinion....

1. Find the RIGHT handgun for you. If you can afford it, start with a nice .22 - Ruger Mark III, Buckmark or Baretta U22 Neos are great choices. You can shoot LOTS of CHEAP ammo and everyone should have a .22 pistol anyways. Get a defensive/larger caliber later.

2. Make sure the gun is sighted in correctly. Either by carefull target shooting or with the help from an experienced friend. Once you know the gun shoots where it is aimed you can work on shooting skils - not before. How would you know if it's you or the gun missing the target???

3. Practice aiming and trigger control by shooting groups on paper from a rest. Take it slow - aim, exhale partially, slowly squeeze the trigger. When the gun fires it should be almost a surprise. You want to gradually apply trigger pressure until it fires - no jerking. Just liek with rifle shooting.

4. Shoot groups on paper from a standng position. Be prepared to be disapointed in the group size vs your groups from a rest. Let your groups size from a rest be your goal for groups size shot from standing position. Shoot slow and focus on holding the pistol steady. This is hard and takes practice. Increase your pace as you become more proficient being careful not to jerk the trigger.

5. Go to an outdoor range with pistol steel targets. Work on hitting every one you aim at. Then do it faster and faster.

6. Get a friend and teach him how to shoot a pistol.....

Rob Roy
05-06-2009, 6:40 PM
google todd jarrett he has some online vids.
+1 on that. Go to youtube and search his name. His stuff is really good.

Sam
05-06-2009, 7:28 PM
I can see why you wouldn't want to drive to NV to take a class, but it should be easy to find a basic pistol class in the bay area.

M. D. Van Norman
05-06-2009, 9:25 PM
2. Make sure the gun is sighted in correctly.Ö Once you know the gun shoots where it is aimed you can work on shooting.Ö How would you know if itís you or the gun missing the target???

Itís always you.

Rob Roy
05-06-2009, 9:34 PM
Before all, practice correct grip and stance.

fcr
05-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I was looking for a thread that was recently here about this subject and was given the advice of the Jarret youTube vids. It really helped. I wanted to thank the people who gave me the advice. So if they read this, Thanks.

Requiem
05-07-2009, 7:33 AM
Thanks guys. The Jarret youtube videos seem to be the ticket once I get some snap caps and my handgun.