PDA

View Full Version : What does it actually take for out of state dealer to ship to CA?

Dangerous1
05-06-2009, 3:34 PM
I wanted to order a handgun from CDNN but they told me that they don't ship handguns to CA. I know that it's the same policy for many other dealers.

What does it actually take to set up a system for them to sell to us? Is it really that hard? Getting frustrated as you all have probably felt.

Josh3239
05-06-2009, 3:37 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php

9mmlaw
05-06-2009, 3:46 PM
CDNN has long had the policy of not shipping to CA. It changed briefly a few years back but I doubt you ever convince them to sell to CA.

Dangerous1
05-06-2009, 3:53 PM
Thank you.

It looks pretty simple to me. The out of state dealer needs to enroll in the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/addEnrolee.do?dispatch=display. Then log in and request a CFLC number https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/index.jsp 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

How much money dealers are losing for not wanting to do this simple process we'll never know. California is pretty much an untapped market.

Dangerous1
05-06-2009, 3:56 PM
CDNN has long had the policy of not shipping to CA. It changed briefly a few years back but I doubt you ever convince them to sell to CA.

It's a shame. They're an excellent store. I've purchased magazines from them and didn't cross my mind that they wouldn't sell handguns to us. The salesman on the phone said he works on commission so he'd love for them to review their policy but he didn't sound hopeful.

Sam
05-06-2009, 4:07 PM
Well I guess CA's scheme is working then. Everyone from out of state who is actually setup for the program kinda complains about it but agrees the extra few minutes is worth it for another sale.

Dangerous1
05-06-2009, 4:15 PM
Imagine if a dealer updates inventory online and advertises that they "WILL SHIP TO CALIFORNIA."

Sam
05-06-2009, 4:55 PM
Imagine if a dealer updates inventory online and advertises that they "WILL SHIP TO CALIFORNIA."

well they probably wouldn't have to update their inventory until they were restocked...

KRS Juan
05-06-2009, 8:46 PM
@Sam
I have never bought anything from them but ImpactGuns (http://www.impactguns.com/) in Texas has a huge "WE SHIP GUNS TO CALIFORNIA" image front and center on their homepage a well as a page dedicated to guns they sell that are on the safe-gun-list.

Sam
05-06-2009, 8:58 PM
@Sam
I have never bought anything from them but ImpactGuns (http://www.impactguns.com/) in Texas has a huge "WE SHIP GUNS TO CALIFORNIA" image front and center on their homepage a well as a page dedicated to guns they sell that are on the safe-gun-list.

Cool, stuff like this always makes me want to buy from these merchants.

chefdude
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Man it takes about 15 min for them to fill out the paperwork..that is it. Just think they have cut their busines volume by 20% just by not taking the time to do the paperwork...great business minded people yeah? They may have good deals but dont deserve My business

dchang0
05-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Jim Schuler at KingdomArms.com signed up with the CFLC to sell me a PS90, and he said it was really easy. He was very enthusiastic to make the sale, unlike these other companies that run in fear of a little paperwork...

slick_711
05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Cool, stuff like this always makes me want to buy from these merchants.

How about the merchants located IN CA? :p

scr83jp
05-07-2009, 9:17 PM
Last fall in pennsylvania a dealer told me he received an application from CAL DOJ to get cleared to sell & ship guns to CA,his store had a supply of Win Model 12's,older rifles,etc.

Rudolf the Red
05-07-2009, 9:54 PM
I think it's pathetic that some dealers ignore us. All they have to do is register basic info ONCE and after that they enter their login, my CFD#, and print a copy of the form. It literally takes 30 seconds. Screw them. Whenever I find a firearm I want on gunbroker and they state "No Sales to CA", I tell them they lost a sale over nothing and I hope ignoring 30+ million people is a business plan that works for them.

Thunderbird
05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey guys. I am a dealer in Oklahoma. I just signed up on the CFLC. It was VERY quick and VERY easy. I could have held my breath in the time it took me to set up. I agree it is just good business. Worth a little extra effort to check legality and print one form to be able to do business with a population that size.

If you run into this on something you really want but a dealer is stubborn, send me an email. I would be glad to be a go-between for the same fee I charge my local customers for a transfer. $20

Rudolf the Red
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey guys. I am a dealer in Oklahoma. I just signed up on the CFLC. It was VERY quick and VERY easy. I could have held my breath in the time it took me to set up. I agree it is just good business. Worth a little extra effort to check legality and print one form to be able to do business with a population that size.

If you run into this on something you really want but a dealer is stubborn, send me an email. I would be glad to be a go-between for the same fee I charge my local customers for a transfer. $20

Right on!

flatovercrest
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Man it takes about 15 min for them to fill out the paperwork..that is it. Just think they have cut their busines volume by 20% just by not taking the time to do the paperwork...great business minded people yeah? They may have good deals but dont deserve My business

They are gun shop owners...what do you expect..?

Dangerous1
05-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Thank you very much. I will be ordering a Lauer lower from you right away. What is your address/phone/fax?

Thunderbird
05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
They are gun shop owners...what do you expect..?

Guess I am a different breed since I work from home. Come to think of it, those guys cant be too bright..."Lets see.... Step 1: Maximize overhead.... Step 2: Minimize customer base"

wildhawker
05-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Guess I am a different breed since I work from home. Come to think of it, those guys cant be too bright..."Lets see.... Step 1: Maximize overhead.... Step 2: Minimize customer base"

After limiting your customer base, proceed to Step 3: disenfranchise said customer base with inflammatory comments on public forums and promote FUD wherever possible.

Thunderbird
05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
OK at the risk of sounding dumb.... what is FUD?

9mmlaw
05-08-2009, 4:15 AM
OK at the risk of sounding dumb.... what is FUD?

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

DLaw
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM

This is why I'll never buy anything from them.

smittty
05-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I wanted to order a handgun from CDNN but they told me that they don't ship handguns to CA. I know that it's the same policy for many other dealers.

What does it actually take to set up a system for them to sell to us? Is it really that hard? Getting frustrated as you all have probably felt.

Shipping is about $30, our FFL's here in SB charge a fee of $75 plus $24 dros and depending on the FFL they might charge you tax on the invoice amount. I recently bought a P6 from JG Sales that was advertised at $369 + $10 for hand pick + $20 for 2nd mag and by the time I took it home it cost me just over $550.

I found that it's smarter to buy a new gun from your local dealer.

Thunderbird
05-09-2009, 7:25 PM
Shipping is about $30, our FFL's here in SB charge a fee of $75 plus $24 dros and depending on the FFL they might charge you tax on the invoice amount. I recently bought a P6 from JG Sales that was advertised at $369 + $10 for hand pick + $20 for 2nd mag and by the time I took it home it cost me just over $550.

I found that it's smarter to buy a new gun from your local dealer.

Mainly smarter because you dont KNOW what the mark up is when you walk in to buy a new gun at a local dealer.

However, I agree that $550 is extreme for a P6, which is my carry gun I might add, and I am quite fond of it. I wouldnt pay $550 for it though, and if someone offered me $550 I wouldnt think twice.

I didnt look real close at J&G's P6's. Most I have seen come with 2 mags though for around $350, give or take??? Gotta have 2 mags though, they are expensive.

Biggest problem is the price of the FFL transfer though. I charge $20. The most I have seen in this area is $50, but I would say $35 is about average.