PDA

View Full Version : CZ 97B .45ACP Question

socalgunrunner
05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I was checking out a CZ 97B .45 cal pistol the other day at a local gun shop. I really liked the trigger on this gun, especially in DA. I know that CZ also makes a 97BD model that has a decocker. I have not been able to fondle one of these yet.

Will the model with the decocker have the same great trigger that comes on the standard model? Or is that something that has to be sacrificed in order to have this added feature? I'd prefer to have a decocker on my gun, but not if it means I'm going to have to endure a mediocre trigger. I wish I could compare them side by side. Do any of you have first hand knowledge of these pistols?

tmuller
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I believe the trigger is the same but you sacrifice having a safety in place of the decocker. Not 100% but someone should be along shortly either to refute or back me up...

socalgunrunner
05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I believe the trigger is the same but you sacrifice having a safety in place of the decocker. Not 100% but someone should be along shortly either to refute or back me up...

It never even occurred to me to check the roster. The 97BD is not approved for sale in CA. Well I guess my decision has already been made for me. Thanks Kalifornia...

rivviepop
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I can't answer to the idea of "better" on one versus the other, but mechanically they use different parts internally (it's not just as simple as a safety lever swap). These engineering differences are going to make the triggers be different based on design alone, how all the edges and arms and so forth interact. Many CZ gunsmiths are unwilling to touch decocker models (for trigger tuning, enhancement) do the additional complexity and work involved.

An interesting thing about the decockers is that they don't lay the hammer all the way down, it's decocked to a (still safe) small angle of maybe 10% or so off of the frame. The hammer cannot be let the whole way down onto the slide (full decock) unless it is completely pulled to the rear again and the trigger pulled to release. The decocker can be used to put the gun into a safe position, and it does make the initial DA pull from that 10% decocked state nicer (takes a pound or so off, depending on specific CZ model) but it's still not a fully decocked state.

The smaller compact pistols intended as carry pieces (P-01, PCR D, etc.) are now pretty much all moving towards a decocker because of this advantage in lessening the DA pull; you can carry the firearm safely decocked but gain that little advantage from having the hammer part way back. I can definitely feel the decreased force needed to DA both my P-01 and PCR D when starting from decocked mode as opposed to fully hammer-down mode.

socalgunrunner
05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your post! You've provided some excellent information.

rivviepop
05-06-2009, 1:11 PM
By the way, it's entirely possible you could obtain the 97BD through a consignment shelf or a PPT if you do decide it's the decocker model you want. It's relatively newer (released just last year, 2008 SHOT show I think?) and you don't see a lot of them floating around yet but that will change.

thomasanelson
05-06-2009, 4:51 PM
I have a CZ97b and although it is a pain and perhaps a little less safe, I can "decock" my gun manually. Although not ideal, it does give one the advantage of carrying or storing in a quick release safe, in a chambered DA position.