PDA

View Full Version : One pistol per 30 day rule, exemptions?

eltee
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I searched here and on the DOJ website but was unable to confirm the following:

The one concealable firearm DROS per 30 day period law is exempted under these circumstances:

1. PPT (I think I confirmed that one as true) PPT all you want
2. Dealer sale of USED guns
3. Buyer has a C&R license and a COE, can buy more than one pistol (modern inc.) per 30 day period. Essentially, a C&R + COE = no 30 day rule on any pistol old, modern, used or new

Thank you for any help and clarification

PolishMike
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Dealer sale of used guns is still dealer sale. NOT exempt from 1 in 30. Consignments, if ran properly as PPTs, ARE exempt.

Everything else is correct.

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Numbers 1 and 3 I know are correct. As for number 2 i was told that if a gun has ever been purchased by a private party (ie non FFL) then that makes it a used gun. Which exempts it from the one per 30 day rule regardless of how the dealer sells it

ke6guj
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
As for number 2 i was told that if a gun has ever been purchased by a private party (ie non FFL) then that makes it a used gun. Which exempts it from the one per 30 day rule regardless of how the dealer sells itthat would be incorrect.

The word USED never appears in the PC about the 1-in-30-days rule.

12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:

(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.
The bolded section is the PPT exemption. CADOJ also considers cosignment sales to be PPTs, so those are exempt as well. But a USED handgun that is truly dealer inventory or shipped in, does not fall under the 12082 exemption. I wouldn't be able to buy two used police trade-in glock 17's that the dealer had in stock (or had shipped in from a private party or dealer) and DROS them at the same time because 12072(a)(9)(B)(viii) does not apply. However, I am exempt from the 1-in-30 because I have a C&R+COE, so the 12072(a)(9)(B)(ix) exemption applies.

glockwise2000
05-09-2009, 8:15 PM
that would be incorrect.

The word USED never appears in the PC about the 1-in-30-days rule.

The bolded section is the PPT exemption. CADOJ also considers cosignment sales to be PPTs, so those are exempt as well. But a USED handgun that is truly dealer inventory or shipped in, does not fall under the 12082 exemption. I wouldn't be able to buy two used police trade-in glock 17's that the dealer had in stock (or had shipped in from a private party or dealer) and DROS them at the same time because 12072(a)(9)(B)(viii) does not apply. However, I am exempt from the 1-in-30 because I have a C&R+COE, so the 12072(a)(9)(B)(ix) exemption applies.

Just to make this clear as it was context. If you have a C&R + COE, you are exempt from 1-in-30 for new HGs? How about the 10 day wait? Does it exempt you too?

ke6guj
05-09-2009, 9:10 PM
Just to make this clear as it was context. If you have a C&R + COE, you are exempt from 1-in-30 for new HGscorrect.

How about the 10 day wait? Does it exempt you too?no. 10-day wait exempt for only C&R firearms.