PDA

View Full Version : Quality, powerful, carry?

chilly_bill
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm sure this is the eternal question, but I'm looking for something light and small enough to pocket, yet powerful enough to comfortably be an effective defense weapon against large animals or people. Also, I want something of the utmost quality.
My Valtro makes Kimber's look a bit cheap, but I understand that they are considered to be quality weapons, thus one option is a Kimber like the Ultra CDP II in .45 or something like that. (25 oz)
I very much like the HK P2000 SK in .40 cal also. (22.4 oz.) While I have little to say, this seems like it's one of the most logical and probable choices.
There are the 2 1/2" barrel Colt Pythons that are rare but beautiful. But while I love the gun and the caliber, the weight is a bit too much (can't find a number, anyone?). So nice to shoot though!
I've got a S&W 37-3 in .38 caliber. While it's light enough and small enough for the job, the power just is not going to help much in case of mountain lion attacks (I carry it while out in the woods hiking and riding). It's already in the Safe though. And while quality is more than adequate, there is nothing really inspiring.
I'd love to get peoples opinions on any of these or other preferences for light, powerful, small weapons. I'm open to revolvers or pistols.

dfletcher
05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I have a couple of 37s - a 3" and a 2" - and while they're great for carry I don't think I'd feel well protected in the woods.

I'd consider a 41 Magnum to be the minimum for walking around in the woods if bears might be about, I guess a 357 Magnum would do (which I think means a 10 mm works also) in the absence of bears. I just bought a Taurus 2.5" titanium in 41 Magnum, seems to pack quite a bit of punch and weighs about 20 oz.

You might consider the Model 60 Smith with a 5" bbl in 357 Magnum or an SP101 Ruger. The 5" bbl 60 is a bit longish, but might make for better handling & accuracy.

There's a few 10 MM semi autos out there also, as well as the Smith 610 revolver. Ad Smith makes a whole line of lightweight N frames with mostly 4" bbls that would work well for you.

CSACANNONEER
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
First, I'm going to assume that you are not afraid of bears and, that your 37-3 is chambered in .38spl and not .38S&W. IMHO, a .38 special +P is fine for big cats at <20ft. It's all about shot placement. You are aware that many people use .22mag revolvers and a pack of dogs to hunt cats, aren't you? If a single shot of .22mag will drop a cat, a .38spl will too. When I'm in the hills, I either carry a SP101 with shotshells and Hydroshocks or my Kimber CDPII Pro. The Ultra is a smaller but, I wanted a full size grip, standard 8 round mags and, I didn't like the idea of spending $35ish on a new recoil spring assembly ever 500 rounds!

BTW, there was a bear running around in an apartment complex in Camarillo this morning. So, you never know what you'll come across or where it will be.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Get a Glock 36 .45acp its 765 g / 26.99 oz. LOADED with 6 rounds and 570 g / 20.11 oz unloaded..... Im a Glock fan they are so easy but yet the toughest guns I know underwater, in snow, in sand, like I said Glocks are GREAT! Glock say's "Six rounds of .45 AUTO. . ... in a package that
fits into the hands of any user.
With the new GLOCK SLIMLINE™ we present
grip ergonomics of the next dimension.
By using a single-stack magazine, the GLOCK 36 measures only 28.5mm/1.13 in. in width. Together with the secure-grip design, this makes handling the pistol very easy" and I trust glock.....
:thumbsup: Glock

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Or a .357 Glock 33, Glock say's "High muzzle velocity and energy packed in
an easy handling subcompact pistol:
The GLOCK 33 in .357 opens up entirely
new possibilities for you. The proven
GLOCK design is comfortable worn concealed.
Nine rounds are available for use in the standard magazine.
As a backup weapon with superior ballistic performance, the “pocket rocket” is second to none."
WEIGHT
560 g / 19.75 oz.
LOADED (~)
755 g / 26.63 oz

MasterYong
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP and night sights. It's by far my favorite handgun, and is perfect for carry.

I'm not sure about the specific weight, but it's a lot lighter than my other .45's are.

If you get a Kimber UCII, get some aftermarket Wilson mags to go with it. The extended floorplate on some of the Wilson models make this firearm a lot more comfortable to grip and make mag changes easier.

xLusi0n
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I find the glocks a bit thick for concealed carry, but I do anyway.

pullnshoot25
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
S&W 329PD... 26oz .44mag.

Vacaville
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
S&W 329PD... 26oz .44mag.

Ouch - that's gonna recoil like a mother****. But you are right. It fits the OP's requirements perfectly.

wildhawker
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
First, I'm going to assume that you are not afraid of bears and, that your 37-3 is chambered in .38spl and not .38S&W. IMHO, a .38 special +P is fine for big cats at <20ft. It's all about shot placement. You are aware that many people use .22mag revolvers and a pack of dogs to hunt cats, aren't you? If a single shot of .22mag will drop a cat, a .38spl will too. When I'm in the hills, I either carry a SP101 with shotshells and Hydroshocks or my Kimber CDPII Pro. The Ultra is a smaller but, I wanted a full size grip, standard 8 round mags and, I didn't like the idea of spending $35ish on a new recoil spring assembly ever 500 rounds!

BTW, there was a bear running around in an apartment complex in Camarillo this morning. So, you never know what you'll come across or where it will be.

Heh, I used to live in that complex when it first opened.

chilly_bill
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I have a .357 S&W 386 SC in a 3 1/8" barrel, but while it is beautiful, light and powerful, it's simply too big to pocket. I'd love something like that but smaller frame. Does it exist? The Ruger SP101 is a nice option. I'd love something even nicer though, like a Colt :)
Anyone try one of those .357 Glocks? That sounds nice.

You might consider the Model 60 Smith with a 5" bbl in 357 Magnum or an SP101 Ruger. The 5" bbl 60 is a bit longish, but might make for better handling & accuracy.

There's a few 10 MM semi autos out there also, as well as the Smith 610 revolver. Ad Smith makes a whole line of lightweight N frames with mostly 4" bbls that would work well for you.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP and night sights. It's by far my favorite handgun, and is perfect for carry.

I'm not sure about the specific weight, but it's a lot lighter than my other .45's are.

If you get a Kimber UCII, get some aftermarket Wilson mags to go with it. The extended floorplate on some of the Wilson models make this firearm a lot more comfortable to grip and make mag changes easier.

Not the Glock 36 in its GLOCK SLIMLINE™ small very small:thumbsup:

Greg-Dawg
05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Use the one you've trained with. Took a lot of classes with my Glock and it's the best weapon for my needs. I have a subcompact in .40S&W without the extended magazine grip; fits in the back pocket really well and with an inside the waisteband holster.

Get a Glock 27.

tomd1584
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I like the glock 27 and the glock 36. 10 rounds of .40 s&w, or 6 rounds .45 acp

chilly_bill
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone not like Glocks? Seems like guys at the shop speak of them as cheap, but owners appear to love them. I've never had a chance to shoot one.
Do people generally consider .40 a powerful enough round for self defense?

cineski
05-06-2009, 2:06 PM
While revolvers are nice and present the op for power, I wouldn't carry one around SoCal. Primarily because a lot of places require you to carry open and unloaded. It's a lot easier to slam a mag in and rack the slide on a semi-auto than it is to open a cylinder, insert speed loader, close (although I'm not talking personal experience). I'd look at an XD45c, Glock 29 (compact 10mm) for cats. I wouldn't call these upmost quality, but they're good for roughing around in the woods. Also, the HK45c (if you can find it) are awesome or the USP 45c.

MasterYong
05-06-2009, 2:15 PM
While revolvers are nice and present the op for power, I wouldn't carry one around SoCal. Primarily because a lot of places require you to carry open and unloaded. It's a lot easier to slam a mag in and rack the slide on a semi-auto than it is to open a cylinder, insert speed loader, close (although I'm not talking personal experience). I'd look at an XD45c, Glock 29 (compact 10mm) for cats. I wouldn't call these upmost quality, but they're good for roughing around in the woods. Also, the HK45c (if you can find it) are awesome or the USP 45c.

I felt the same way about speed loaders... until I bought my girlfriend a S&W (airframe I think, I can never remember the model number, too lazy to look it up, but it's the one with the aluminum frame and titanium cylinder) ...she can easily load that revolver with a speed loader as fast as I can slap a mag in any of my semi-autos and rack the slide. Reason is she only needs two hands for the loader- opening and closing the cylinder is a one-handed operation. With my semi-autos the only way racking the slide is a one-handed operation is if it's already locked open! If it's locked open and we're doing speed loading drills then I'll win anytime.

Miltiades
05-06-2009, 2:35 PM
I'm sure this is the eternal question, but I'm looking for something light and small enough to pocket, yet powerful enough to comfortably be an effective defense weapon against large animals or people.

I believe that your requirements are difficult to achieve. With respect to pocket carry, I think that size and weight considerations limit you to something like a S&W airweight J frame snubby (12 to 15 ounces empty) or a Kahr PM9 (17 ounces empty). A 3 inch 1911 weighs 25 ounces empty and about 30 ounces loaded, which is not very practical for pocket carry.

So unless you can take on the "large animals" with an airweight revolver or the Kahr 9mm, you might have to go with a larger gun carried on the belt. You might consider the Glock 29 in 10mm as a belt gun for this application. It is pretty compact and only weighs about 24 ounces empty, but would give you 10 rounds of 10mm for use against large animals or human adversaries. I believe that 10 mm should handle black bears or mountain lions.

CSACANNONEER
05-06-2009, 4:29 PM
Heh, I used to live in that complex when it first opened.

Which one was it? I just heard about it on KFI this morning but, they didn't say exactly where it was.

wildhawker
05-06-2009, 4:33 PM
Avalon Camarillo on Flynn near Adolfo Rd.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519136,00.html

I miss KFI!

thomasanelson
05-06-2009, 5:11 PM
I love my P2000sk, but my Glock 27 is great too. You might also think about the Glock 30 or 29, USP40c or even a Taurus PT145.