PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Handguns into CA

JellyDonut
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
For the past year I have been living in Arizona while attending school (I have an apartment in my name). During this time I purchased 2 handguns (I must say, I do love the AZ gun laws, they treat you like an adult). Now that I'm looking at coming back to CA for the summer I figured I should look into registering the guns in CA so I don't risk the possibility of getting in trouble. What is the process for this?

grahlaika
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
You go to the CA DOJ website and you fill out the New Resident Handgun form. You need to send that in within 60 days of bringing your handguns into the state. That's about it.

JellyDonut
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
One more question. Do the handguns need to be on the approved list from the DOJ?

professorhard
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
No.

5hundo
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
One more question. Do the handguns need to be on the approved list from the DOJ?

Not at all...

Also, if you've got any extra cash, buy as many 1911 100% frames as you can and bring those in too...

Mark them up $50 each and you'll make a little money on the deal...

...just make sure I get one! :thumbsup:

(or two :D )

Librarian
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
For the past year I have been living in Arizona while attending school (I have an apartment in my name). During this time I purchased 2 handguns (I must say, I do love the AZ gun laws, they treat you like an adult). Now that I'm looking at coming back to CA for the summer I figured I should look into registering the guns in CA so I don't risk the possibility of getting in trouble. What is the process for this?
Are you going back to AZ for the fall?

If so, you're just 'visiting' CA for the summer, and you need not bother.

Clearly, if AZ let you buy guns there, you're an AZ resident. If you choose to become a CA resident at some future time, then you'll need the new resident paperwork for your handguns.

venom56
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
gentlemen:
my very first post. my situation is almost similar to the OP. I've been working here for a good many years but retain NV as my primary residence along with a driver's license and a CCW. Then I acquired another house in the Bay Area which is now a secondary home and dutifully obtain a CA state card.

How's the gun registration works for me? I visit my NV home like every 3-4 months and thinking of taking along my guns on my next trip. Can I register them even my CA house is not my primary residence? If and when the job dries up here, I intend to retire to my home city.

TIA