PDA

View Full Version : Can you get your Glock barrel ramp feed polished?

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 8:30 AM
So California Gunner Family.....Can you get your Glock barrel ramp feed polished? or just get a different barrel?????? The reason I ask is because the one I have in my Glock30sf has a little cheap in the coating...... and this is my carry weapon at work........ and out of 500rds had 4 or 5 jams...... but used Fed ammo ok and PMC ammo ok, but Winchester bulk is were I had the prob. and I'm thinking that its the one that messed up my barrel.......

cineski
05-06-2009, 8:32 AM
Can you explain why you want to do this? It may help us help you.

glockman19
05-06-2009, 8:36 AM
You can do both. I'd just get another barrel. If you are having feeding issues. what glock model?

You can get a good aftermarket barrel from www.glockworld.com

I like the storm lake barrels. they also have an opposite twist to the OEM barrels.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 8:40 AM
revised up top....

Corbin Dallas
05-06-2009, 8:43 AM
Your feed ramp should already be smooth enough. No need to polish.

If you have a "chip" in your feed ramp, send the barrel back to Glock. This should not happen.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 9:21 AM
the chip is in the black coating not in the actual barrel......

hybridatsun350
05-06-2009, 9:22 AM
You can get new stainless barrels for ~$100.

Voo
05-06-2009, 9:27 AM
If there's an actual "chip" or "ding" in the ramp, contact Glock and ask them for support. While, I've never had to contact them for anything, I've read on various forums that their CS is top notch when it comes to making things right.

If it's marred (like scuffed) that's perfectly normal. The shape/dimension on some of the projectiles will cause the finish on the ramp to blemish more or less, it's arbitrary really. Regardless, the ramped part of the barrel is pretty smooth as is from the factory. If you're getting jams, thats probably not it. Winchester white box is not "quality" ammo and I actually remember other people having issues with it in their 1911's. I realize it's not the same gun, but it all tends to point back to crappy ammo- which in your case, IS somewhat similar (since you mentioned other brands ran flawlessly)

If you had clear pictures of the ramp area that might help.

I'll say that if you decide to polish it, it really is mindlessly easy. Some flitz and 20 minutes of elbow grease are all it takes to give it a mirror shine.

Also, don't get another barrel yet. You may or may not need a new barrel, but to just go out and buy one is uncalled for at this point. Call glock and post some pictures up before you do anything that's gonna cost you out of pocket. There are a ton of things that can make your glock jam, but for now, you should determine if there's an issue with your feed ramp.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 9:39 AM
You can do both. I'd just get another barrel. If you are having feeding issues. what glock model?

You can get a good aftermarket barrel from www.glockworld.com

I like the storm lake barrels. they also have an opposite twist to the OEM barrels.

If there's an actual "chip" or "ding" in the ramp, contact Glock and ask them for support. While, I've never had to contact them for anything, I've read on various forums that their CS is top notch when it comes to making things right.

If it's marred (like scuffed) that's perfectly normal. The shape/dimension on some of the projectiles will cause the finish on the ramp to blemish more or less, it's arbitrary really. Regardless, the ramped part of the barrel is pretty smooth as is from the factory. If you're getting jams, thats probably not it. Winchester white box is not "quality" ammo and I actually remember other people having issues with it in their 1911's. I realize it's not the same gun, but it all tends to point back to crappy ammo- which in your case, IS somewhat similar (since you mentioned other brands ran flawlessly)

If you had clear pictures of the ramp area that might help.

I'll say that if you decide to polish it, it really is mindlessly easy. Some flitz and 20 minutes of elbow grease are all it takes to give it a mirror shine.

Also, don't get another barrel yet. You may or may not need a new barrel, but to just go out and buy one is uncalled for at this point. Call glock and post some pictures up before you do anything that's gonna cost you out of pocket. There are a ton of things that can make your glock jam, but for now, you should determine if there's an issue with your feed ramp.

I'll try to put some pics up tonight im at work right know with no cam..... the "chip" is in the black paint coating, no dents or dings just a
"chip" were I can see a spot on the ramp that is now showing the stainless steel were the black was......

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
So just talked to Glock they said send a pic and send the barrel back and there fix the prob with no prob:thumbsup:.......

Voo
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I'll try to put some pics up tonight im at work right know with no cam..... the "chip" is in the black paint coating, no dents or dings just a
"chip" were I can see a spot on the ramp that is now showing the stainless steel were the black was......

It really does sound like you just wore some of the finish off. It's not paint, its some other oxide or phosphate coating they put on the barrel. It's durable but it does wear with use.

If you cant' feel the imperfection- like you would a hole, divets gap, or recess then its likely fine and in all probability, cosmetic.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
It really does sound like you just wore some of the finish off. It's not paint, its some other oxide or phosphate coating they put on the barrel. It's durable but it does wear with use.

If you cant' feel the imperfection- like you would a hole, divets gap, or recess then its likely fine and in all probability, cosmetic.

Glock said they will fix it, yes they said that its oxide, but wear only after 500-600 rounds??????

CaptainGlock
05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Glock said they will fix it, yes they said that its oxide, but wear only after 500-600 rounds??????

Sure, what's so surprising about that? Look at your barrel. I suspect that you'll see some of the black oxide worn off there too. It means nothing.

I have never polished or seen the need to polish the feedramp of a Glock. All I've encountered are as smooth as a baby's bottom!

I think polishing feedramps is a 1911 thing. ;)

CaptainGlock
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
So California Gunner Family.....Can you get your Glock barrel ramp feed polished? or just get a different barrel?????? The reason I ask is because the one I have in my Glock30sf has a little cheap in the coating...... and this is my carry weapon at work........ and out of 500rds had 4 or 5 jams...... but used Fed ammo ok and PMC ammo ok, but Winchester bulk is were I had the prob. and I'm thinking that its the one that messed up my barrel.......

On the "jams," what sort of malfunction are we talking about? Failure to feed? Failure to go into battery? Failure to eject?

Greg-Dawg
05-06-2009, 1:02 PM
On the "jams," what sort of malfunction...Failure to go into battery?

If this is the case, the trigger bar is the culprit. A friend brought in his G30SF that would fully go into battery, he dremelled the trigger bar and now it's good to go.

MrKyle
05-06-2009, 1:03 PM
Sure, what's so surprising about that? Look at your barrel. I suspect that you'll see some of the black oxide worn off there too. It means nothing.

I have never polished or seen the need to polish the feedramp of a Glock. All I've encountered are as smooth as a baby's bottom!

I think polishing feedramps is a 1911 thing. ;)

Speaking of early wear, is it normal for the breech face to be devoid of almost all finish after only a couple hundred rounds? I suspect it is, as my glock 17 has run flawlessly so far.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 2:53 PM
On the "jams," what sort of malfunction are we talking about? Failure to feed? Failure to go into battery? Failure to eject?

Failure to feed, but I only had that problem with WWB ammo.....
Not with Fed. American Eagle, or PMC, or DPX(for carry only):thumbsup:

rabagley
05-06-2009, 3:52 PM
Your gun is fine. Poor tolerances on the ammo.

CaptainGlock
05-06-2009, 4:51 PM
Speaking of early wear, is it normal for the breech face to be devoid of almost all finish after only a couple hundred rounds? I suspect it is, as my glock 17 has run flawlessly so far.

Consider what the breech face goes through when you shoot! ;)

precisionshooter308
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
White box WW ammo is only gilded not plated. My G21 hated white box. If the other ammo works use it instead.

B Strong
05-07-2009, 6:06 AM
If one particular brand of ammo presents problems and others don't, it isn't a hardware issue with the pistol, it's the ammo.

The only reason to change barrels in major caliber Glocks is the KB factor - all the major caliber Glock barrels are throated way deep into the chamber to allow for 100% feeding with all known bullet types, and this leaves a large section of the brass unsupported - thin brass? High pressure" Kb!

CaptainGlock
05-07-2009, 1:21 PM
If one particular brand of ammo presents problems and others don't, it isn't a hardware issue with the pistol, it's the ammo.

The only reason to change barrels in major caliber Glocks is the KB factor - all the major caliber Glock barrels are throated way deep into the chamber to allow for 100% feeding with all known bullet types, and this leaves a large section of the brass unsupported - thin brass? High pressure" Kb!

Actually, I would say the only reason to use an aftermarket barrel in a Glock is so one can use naked lead bullets--which I despise.

ANY firearm can blow if exposed to a serious over-pressure excursion.