PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new plinker.

Turo
05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Picked up my first pistol yesterday, a Beretta u22 Neos, because of the generally good things I'd heard about it. I'm a poor college student, so my budget was just about $300 and I feel like I got a pretty good deal on a brand new gun.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t266/Turophiliac/Fakenewgrips-1.jpg
YES! I know it's Pink, it was the only grip they had in stock, and I have a blue one ready to put on before it even goes out to shoot. I know i'm gonna get crap for it, so bring it on! lol

I have been told countless times that a Ruger mkIII is a great plinker, and i'll agree, but i've shot my dad's quite a bit and I wanted something a little different for my own.

Anybody else have one? What do you like/dislike about it?

EDIT: Not the new grips yet, but I changed them from pink to blue. Remember, photoshop is your friend ;)

05-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I have never fired one, so I would like to hear a range report. I have the Ruger MKIII and that is a fun little gun. The Beretta doesn't look right to me. It looks like something that should be on Star Trek, but if you like it that is all that matters.

Turo
05-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I have never fired one, so I would like to hear a range report. I have the Ruger MKIII and that is a fun little gun. The Beretta doesn't look right to me. It looks like something that should be on Star Trek, but if you like it that is all that matters.

The range report is the first thing to happen after cleaning!

lol I kinda like the "star trek" look of it, but maybe that's because I play too many video games ;)

I like a little variety, and I can practically shoot my dad's mkII any day I want, so that's why i went ahead and got something different.

ErikTheRed
05-06-2009, 12:23 AM
It looks like something that should be on Star Trek

EXACTLY. "Phasers on stun, Spock!"

But from what I read, a damn dependable pistol.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure neither Capt. Kirk nor Spock ever carried pink phasers.) ;) ;) ;)

spareparts
05-06-2009, 7:40 AM
I bought one of the Beretta Neos for my wife and a Ruger Mark III 22/45 for me. She did want pink, but I can only compromise so far. I like them both but if I could only have one I'd take the Ruger.

ETA: Anyone know when the carbine kit for the Neos is going to be around?

Turo
05-06-2009, 10:06 AM
ETA: Anyone know when the carbine kit for the Neos is going to be around?

Supposedly thegunsource (http://www.thegunsource.com/item/62268__Beretta_Misc__Accessories_BERETTA_U22_NEOS_ CARBINE_.aspx?SR=1) is selling it at that link for about $260 (more than the actual price of the gun lol) but I read somewhere that this one may not be the actual one released by Beretta, but made by someone else. I don't know. It actually looks like fun, converting your pistol into a carbine, but I'm not sure on the legalities.

BTW spareparts, I'm going to be selling the pink grip as soon as I can get home to change it into the new blue one (in a week or two) so if you'd like I can give you a deal on it, plus your wife may like it at well ;).

hybridatsun350
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Sweet gun. However, it looks like a Browning Buckmark had some sexy time with a Phaser! lol :)

paintballergb
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I would shoot it with pink grips. Hell I would shoot a gun with rainbows all over it if I got it for a good price.

nick
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I have one of those (with black grips :p), same as yours, 6" barrel. It's very accurate. The only issue I ever ran intois when shooting a lot of cheap dirty ammo (such as Walmart's Federal value pack). If I put a few hundred rounds of that crapthrough it without cleaning, the carbon builds up around the chamber and the slide doesn't go all the way into battery. It's not visible unless you specifically look for it, but that's when you start having failures to fire and an occasional failure to feed. So, if you shoot cheap ammo, don't be lazy and clean it. Disassembling it is very easy, so that's not an excuse :)

Turo
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Cleaning is the first thing to be done when getting home from the range/ditchbank/random field :thumbsup:

Another question for you .22 handgun owners out there; My dad has a few of these "Thumb Savers" (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1299) and I love them, especially after loading 550 rounds of .22 within a few hours! I'm sure it would, but can anybody confirm that they would work on the Neos magazines? if they're anything like the ruger or browning mags then they should, but I haven't had a chance to play with mine yet.

Too Slow
05-06-2009, 1:56 PM
Yesterday, so I'm in gun jail for 10 days. I'll drop a note once I've had some range time. It got great reviews at gunblast. I like that you can go with as long as a "7 barrel and it already has a rail built in.

WyoDuner
05-06-2009, 3:22 PM
I bought one for my son when he turned 7 yo. I got the 4.5" barrel for him because it is a little lighter. Really, I have no complaints and it is a breeze to take apart - just turn the thumb screw below the barrel.

The trigger is good - not great (like a Buckmark) but quite good. Accuracy and reliability are great, no complaints there. Also, it has a built-in rail along the full length of the gun for optics if you need that.

I think it is a great value. I just wish they had it in stainless - if so, i'd buy another for me.

illuminate10
05-06-2009, 7:42 PM
I got the all black with 6" barrel and it shot all the ammo flavors out there without a hiccup. I like everything about it, disassembly, rail, ergos, appetite.......but can use a thinner front sight.

nick
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I bought one for my son when he turned 7 yo. I got the 4.5" barrel for him because it is a little lighter. Really, I have no complaints and it is a breeze to take apart - just turn the thumb screw below the barrel.

The trigger is good - not great (like a Buckmark) but quite good. Accuracy and reliability are great, no complaints there. Also, it has a built-in rail along the full length of the gun for optics if you need that.

I think it is a great value. I just wish they had it in stainless - if so, i'd buy another for me.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProductGroupDetailDropDown.aspx?parentid=410000 1565&parentLink=2100000084:3100001364:3100001520:410000 1565

spareparts
05-07-2009, 1:01 PM
Supposedly thegunsource (http://www.thegunsource.com/item/62268__Beretta_Misc__Accessories_BERETTA_U22_NEOS_ CARBINE_.aspx?SR=1) is selling it at that link for about $260 (more than the actual price of the gun lol) but I read somewhere that this one may not be the actual one released by Beretta, but made by someone else. I don't know. It actually looks like fun, converting your pistol into a carbine, but I'm not sure on the legalities.

BTW spareparts, I'm going to be selling the pink grip as soon as I can get home to change it into the new blue one (in a week or two) so if you'd like I can give you a deal on it, plus your wife may like it at well ;).

Nothing against the organization with the same name but...no pink pistols in my house. Or Hello Kitty rifles.

Truth be told...my wife just thinks her guns belong to her...I'll let her keep thinking that.

Turo
05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Update: Just sent the forms in to the DoJ to get the pistol transferred to my name yesterday :D

Being as I'm 20, my dad is the one that actually purchased the pistol, but I sent in my intra-familial transfer forms yesterday to have it transferred to me.

btw, anybody know how this works or how long I can expect it to take?

PutTogether
05-10-2009, 3:09 PM
Is that thing as comfortable as it looks? It is a strange looking gun no doubt, but it seems like it is VERY comfortable to grip on to. (thats what she said)

Turo
05-10-2009, 3:14 PM
(thats what she said)

ROFL, I get to hear those every day! never gets old!

/ontopic
From everything I've read/heard about them, the grip is very comfortable. most people say that the angle is pretty extreme, but after they handle it, they really like it. (twss lol)

I haven't had a chance to hold/shoot mine yet, but I'll know by next weekend :D