PDA

View Full Version : Georgia too...

yellowfin
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
For those of you who think I'm a little far out there or off the deep end, this just passed the Georgia senate 43-1.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/fulltext/sr632.htm
A RESOLUTION

Affirming states' rights based on Jeffersonian principles; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, the Ninth Amendment of the United States Constitution states "[t]he enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people" and the Tenth Amendment states "[t]he powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE that this body reaffirms the principles of government expressed by Thomas Jefferson in a resolution written for the Kentucky legislature in 1798 stating that the several States composing the United States of America, are not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their General Government; but that, by a compact under the style and title of a Constitution for the United States, and of amendments thereto, they constituted a General Government for special purposes, -- delegated to that government certain definite powers, reserving, each State to itself, the residuary mass of right to their own self-government; and that whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force; that to this compact each State acceded as a State, and is an integral party, its co-States forming, as to itself, the other party: that the government created by this compact was not made the exclusive or final judge of the extent of the powers delegated to itself; since that would have made its discretion, and not the Constitution, the measure of its powers; but that, as in all other cases of compact among powers having no common judge, each party has an equal right to judge for itself, as well of infractions as of the mode and measure of redress; and
That the Constitution of the United States, having delegated to Congress a power to punish treason, counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States, piracies, and felonies committed on the high seas, and offences against the law of nations, slavery, and no other crimes whatsoever; and it being true as a general principle, and one of the amendments to the Constitution having also declared, that "the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people," therefore all acts of Congress which assume to create, define, or punish crimes, other than those so enumerated in the Constitution are altogether void, and of no force; and that the power to create, define, and punish such other crimes is reserved, and, of right, appertains solely and exclusively to the respective States, each within its own territory; and
That it is true as a general principle, and is also expressly declared by one of the amendments to the Constitution, that "the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people;" and that no power over the freedom of religion, freedom of speech, or freedom of the press being delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, all lawful powers respecting the same did of right remain, and were reserved to the States or the people: that thus was manifested their determination to retain to themselves the right of judging how far the licentiousness of speech and of the press may be abridged without lessening their useful freedom, and how far those abuses which cannot be separated from their use should be tolerated, rather than the use be destroyed.

<snip to meet the 10000 character max>

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that any Act by the Congress of the United States, Executive Order of the President of the United States of America or Judicial Order by the Judicatories of the United States of America which assumes a power not delegated to the government of the United States of America by the Constitution for the United States of America and which serves to diminish the liberty of the any of the several States or their citizens shall constitute a nullification of the Constitution for the United States of America by the government of the United States of America. Acts which would cause such a nullification include, but are not limited to:
I. Establishing martial law or a state of emergency within one of the States comprising the United States of America without the consent of the legislature of that State.
II. Requiring involuntary servitude, or governmental service other than a draft during a declared war, or pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.
III. Requiring involuntary servitude or governmental service of persons under the age of 18 other than pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.
IV. Surrendering any power delegated or not delegated to any corporation or foreign government.
V. Any act regarding religion; further limitations on freedom of political speech; or further limitations on freedom of the press.
VI. Further infringements on the right to keep and bear arms including prohibitions of type or quantity of arms or ammunition; and
That should any such act of Congress become law or Executive Order or Judicial Order be put into force, all powers previously delegated to the United States of America by the Constitution for the United States shall revert to the several States individually. Any future government of the United States of America shall require ratification of three quarters of the States seeking to form a government of the United States of America and shall not be binding upon any State not seeking to form such a government.

9th and 10th Amendment plus 2nd AND secession all rolled into one nice little piece. SWEET!

JDoe
05-05-2009, 11:42 PM
We live in interesting times.

The "Montana Firearms Freedom Act" discussed here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=181149

Which state will be next?

nick
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Interesting times indeed. I'm kind of curious what kind of interesting :)

7x57
05-06-2009, 12:03 AM
For those of you who think I'm a little far out there or off the deep end, this just passed the Georgia senate 43-1.

What makes you think we will think you less far out or off the deep end if you happen to be right, or if the state of Georgia agrees with you? :43:

7x57

Fate
05-06-2009, 7:42 AM
Secession and Civil War will never happen, especially from some backwater southern state like Georgia.

[/sarcasm]

zachary2287
05-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Don't know if this is a dupe, but Oklahoma's getting in on the fun as well. Oklahoma's Sovereignty (http://www.newsok.com/house-bypasses-governors-veto-to-claim-oklahomas-sovereignty/article/3366762)

I've been waiting so long for the 10th amendment to return.

navyinrwanda
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Secession and Civil War will never happen, especially from some backwater southern state like Georgia.
Well, of course not. Because they're still underway. That's why we refer to them as the Recent Unpleasantries...

aileron
05-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Being the devils advocate here for a moment.

But couldn't you actually get a Constitutional Convention to come together if you got enough states to disavow the constitution. So if the President wanted to redo the constitution he could create enough havoc through executive orders to get enough states to say... hey, your overstepping your bounds. Then he gets to have his Constitutional Convention and the states played into his hands.

Wouldn't that be in the best interest of those that wish to change the constitution and not to those of us who believe in it?

AEC1
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Time to update BOB. TX, GA, or OK or Montana...

GenLee
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Time to update BOB. TX, GA, or OK or Montana...

I believe Utah is ringing the bell as well. :thumbsup:

3GunFunShooter
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
And so, it begins.

demnogis
05-06-2009, 2:22 PM
TX was the first I believe to do this in April. I hope more states assert their sovereignty against our unjust and criminal Federal Government in the coming months. Sadly, I think California will be one of the last.

yellowfin
05-06-2009, 2:27 PM
California has repeatedly thumbed its nose at the federal government and the rest of the country, it's just been for the wrong reasons. :(

Kid Stanislaus
05-06-2009, 2:45 PM
Secession and Civil War will never happen, especially from some backwater southern state like Georgia. [/sarcasm]

I don't know where you are from but I'm guess'n it ain't Georgia. I'm also think'n maybe you're just a troll.

Kid Stanislaus
05-06-2009, 2:47 PM
Being the devils advocate here for a moment.

But couldn't you actually get a Constitutional Convention to come together if you got enough states to disavow the constitution. So if the President wanted to redo the constitution he could create enough havoc through executive orders to get enough states to say... hey, your overstepping your bounds. Then he gets to have his Constitutional Convention and the states played into his hands.

Wouldn't that be in the best interest of those that wish to change the constitution and not to those of us who believe in it?

I think that if a constitutional convention were ever called, highly unlikely, and the liberals dominated, there'd be a whole bunch of states that just would opt out of the union.

7x57
05-06-2009, 2:53 PM
I don't know where you are from but I'm guess'n it ain't Georgia. I'm also think'n maybe you're just a troll.

I'm guessin' you missed the rather pointed humor.

7x57

natedogg1777
05-06-2009, 2:53 PM
This is sweet. I love it!

KWA-S
05-06-2009, 3:19 PM
The 10A drumbeat gets louder and louder. This is what, the 15th state?

I just wish the sentiment gets to the point of knocking the federal government down a bit...it has gotten way too much larger than its original purpose.

Legasat
05-06-2009, 6:06 PM
I hope all 50 states do it, but it don't mean nuttin if they aren't ready to back it up.