PDA

View Full Version : 30 days wait question

tbui
05-05-2009, 8:27 PM
A friend of mine told me that 30 days wait before you purchase another hand gun does not apply to PPT. Is it true? I just started my 10-days wait for a pistol I bought from an out-of-state saler. So if this is true then I can purchase another hand gun via PPT right?

Gio
05-05-2009, 8:31 PM
PPT has no limits. Happy buying :D

-Gio

Josh3239
05-05-2009, 8:31 PM
Yes it is true. The 30 days applies to buying guns from dealers, not from unliscenced sellers.

TheBundo
05-06-2009, 1:48 AM
I believe there is an underground regulation that limits you to 1,000,000 handguns per month through PPT's

Quiet
05-06-2009, 3:46 AM
1 in 30 days applies to PPTs done in Los Angeles.

Also, remember, a PPT is a transfer between two CA residents facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.
If the firearm was shipped to the CA FFL dealer, then it is not a PPT.

RangerRoy
05-06-2009, 4:27 AM
Yes, you can purchase via PPT w/o regards to the 30 day wait.

If you just purchased a new handgun a few days ago, you can always just pre-pay for the item and have the dealer keep it for you until the allowed DROS date.

Some dealers will even allow anywhere from 30 days to 60 days of layaway.

dirtykoala
05-06-2009, 8:09 AM
Sorry for butting into this thread with my own question, its along the same lines though. Is this the same for intra-familial transfers? Can my dad give me 2 pistols at the same time?

sixniner
05-06-2009, 8:15 AM
If the firearm was shipped to the CA FFL dealer, then it is not a PPT.

Can anyone confirm this? Technically, if the seller is a private party from out-of-state and not a dealer, the 30-day rule still applies?

TIA

dfletcher
05-06-2009, 8:28 AM
Can anyone confirm this? Technically, if the seller is a private party from out-of-state and not a dealer, the 30-day rule still applies?

TIA

Currently, you must be a CA resident to either sell a handgun as PPT or receive a handgun as PPT - strictly a CA resident procedure. If the handgun is being sold by a person from another state, it has to go through a CA FFL and would be a dealer sale. The sale can be done by the seller mailing the handgun to a CA FFL dealer or, if the "other state" resident and his gun are physically in CA, by going to a CA FFL dealer and handing it to him to be sold to you. But it would still be a dealer sale, not a PPT. Also, handgun roster requirements would apply.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 8:29 AM

TIA

If it is a NEW pistol you have to wait 30days between New one only but if you buy a used one then a new one you could buy them at the same time if you wanted.....

tbui
05-06-2009, 8:34 AM
Yes, the 30-day rule applies to out-of-state purchase since you have to go through your FFL dealer. I just did the paper work yesterday for a CZ 75B that I purchased from a out-of-state seller and my FFL guy told me that I have to wait 30 days before I can purchase another one. However, I did not know that the 30-day rule does not apply to F2F PPT. My FFL guy also told me that he will hold the gun for 30-day for me if I was to buy another gun from out-of-state.

TIA

sixniner
05-06-2009, 9:39 AM
Thank you Caiman for the clarification
Tbui - 30-day rule does NOT apply to F2F PPT.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes, the 30-day rule applies to out-of-state purchase since you have to go through your FFL dealer. I just did the paper work yesterday for a CZ 75B that I purchased from a out-of-state seller and my FFL guy told me that I have to wait 30 days before I can purchase another one. However, I did not know that the 30-day rule does not apply to F2F PPT. My FFL guy also told me that he will hold the gun for 30-day for me if I was to buy another gun from out-of-state.

No, just the 10 day waiting .

ke6guj
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
If it is a NEW pistol you have to wait 30days between New one only but if you buy a used one then a new one you could buy them at the same time if you wanted.....incorrect. You can't buy a two handguns from a dealer at the same time if one is used. The 1-in-30 applies to all handgun sales/transfers through a dealer, NEW or USED. For instance, you can't buy a used Glock 17 that a dealer has in inventory and also purchase a new handgun within the 30-days.

However, there are a couple of exemptions to the state 1-in-30-day law. PPT transfers and cosignments are exempt from it. Another exemption is is you have your C&R FFL + COE, then you are exempt from the 1-in-30 for all handgun purchases/transfers.

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 1:43 PM
incorrect. You can't buy a two handguns from a dealer at the same time if one is used. The 1-in-30 applies to all handgun sales/transfers through a dealer, NEW or USED. For instance, you can't buy a used Glock 17 that a dealer has in inventory and also purchase a new handgun within the 30-days.

However, there are a couple of exemptions to the state 1-in-30-day law. PPT transfers and cosignments are exempt from it. Another exemption is is you have your C&R FFL + COE, then you are exempt from the 1-in-30 for all handgun purchases/transfers.

You are wrong call a gun shop
A. Castro Valley Gun Shop - www.castrovalleygunshop.com - (510) 581-1917

Andreotti Firearms & Sporting - www.andreottifirearms.com - (510) 537-6964

call for your self and ask....

Futurecollector
05-06-2009, 1:52 PM
incorrect. You can't buy a two handguns from a dealer at the same time if one is used. The 1-in-30 applies to all handgun sales/transfers through a dealer, NEW or USED. For instance, you can't buy a used Glock 17 that a dealer has in inventory and also purchase a new handgun within the 30-days.

A. Castro Valley Gun Shop - www.castrovalleygunshop.com - (510) 581-1917

Andreotti Firearms & Sporting - www.andreottifirearms.com - (510) 537-6964

:lurk5:

lorax3
05-06-2009, 1:53 PM
:lurk5:

Haha. I was thinking the same thing....

Actually, ke6guj is correct.

Read the CA Penal Code. Or take a look at THIS (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Limits_on_handgun_purchases) page, lists limits on handgun purchases and exemptions.

Some terms get a bit mixed up in the process. For instance a dealer will usually let you BUY (or in other words pay for) two handguns at once. Although if you are buying them through a dealer you can only DROS one every 30 days. So although you bought two guns, you can only take steps toward your waiting period one at a time. The second happening 30 days after the first DROS started.

Also, do not let "new" or "used" confuse you. As stated before, it does not matter if the handgun is new or used, if it is coming from a licensed dealer there is a 1-30 day limit. PPT's are exempt, intra-family tranfers, etc. Again, see the link for more info.

limits on handgun purchases and exemptions
(http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Limits_on_handgun_purchases)

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 2:00 PM
Well if im miss informed my bad, but thats what I was told by the gun shop in castro valley, sorry if I was......

Futurecollector
05-06-2009, 2:04 PM
Well if im miss informed my bad, but thats what I was told by the gun shop in castro valley, sorry if I was......

dont trust anyone, read it for yourself! the exception are for the guys on this forum, dont trust what some guy told you in a gun shop,

there is an FFL in my city that told me the DOJ only allows you to do a PPT on wednesday, lol no joke! :eek:

lorax3
05-06-2009, 2:06 PM

Remember, people at Gun Shops are like everone else. They can't know every little thing. So it is your job as an informed gun owner to make sure they know what they are talking about from now on.

Welcome to CalGuns. :thumbsup:

-lorax

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 2:10 PM
:thumbsup: