PDA

View Full Version : Shipping firearm to LEO in CA?

df662
05-05-2009, 8:02 PM
Hello guys. I have a quick question for you. I am selling an MP5 clone pistol with a detachable 30 rd magazine on GB (this is a civilian sale, I am not an FFL holder and I am in AZ). I was contacted by a person claiming to be a LEO in CA wondering if I would ship to his dealer in CA. I have never shipped to CA. Is it legal for me to ship to his FFL? He stated that he will be getting a department letter to do the California DOJ registration. He also said that along with the copy of an ffl licsence, the dealer will be sending me a high cap mag certificate for CA. Is it ok for me to ship this firearm complete with the 30 rd magazine to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bluestaterebel
05-05-2009, 8:13 PM
He stated that he will be getting a department letter to do the California DOJ registration.

wow! would really like to know what department would issue a letter for an mp5 clone pistol! sounds fishy. did he ask for a serial #. the department would probably want to know that first before issuing a letter.

df662
05-05-2009, 8:22 PM
He did not ask for a serial number yet, he did not purchase the pistol yet. Here are some of the things he said in the emails.

"What you need to do is just ship the gun to my FFL. I will get a department letter to do the California DOJ registration. You do not need to modify anything on the weapon. We can legally buy it in this configuration as LEO."

"You do not have to worry a thing. I will have the FFL send you a high cap mag certificate for CA. I will deal with the FFL to register the weapon in CA as LEO. It is pretty simple. I have done that before.
Thanks."

I would appreciate some help with this one, like I stated before I never shipped to CA before and do not know the rules. Thanks again guys.

gunrun45
05-05-2009, 8:22 PM
With a copy of receiving FFL with CA assault weapons license you can legally ship such a gun into CA. Receiving a copy of his department letter is an extra bonus measure of insurance for you, but not required as far as I know. His department letter will require the Make, Model and serial number of the firearm in order to register it as an AW in CA. That really isn't your problem though since its his responsibility to register it. Technically, if he is not a LEO in CA, you can still legally send it to the FFL in CA (although not recomended). If the FFL does not receive the proper paperwork from the buyer, they will not release it to him and the buyer is then stuck trying to get rid of the gun out of state while it sits at the FFL that you sent it to. Trust me, this has happened before with handguns that are bought online, sent to an FFL and then they can't be registered to the buyer because they are not on the approved list of handguns for sale in CA.

It is the CA FFL's responsibility to make sure that the purchaser is legally eligible to take posession of the firearm in CA. If the buyer is a LEO, he will have a copy of his department ID and a letter from his chief or sheriff authorizing the purchase of this gun that is considered an Assault Weapon by CA law. It is up to the buyer to fill out the applicable paperwork here in CA.

If he or she is a LEO, they are exempt from CA's high cap mag laws and the "safe handgun" list that limits sales of several models of guns in CA.

Just as a heads up, some FFL's in Ca will not accept a gun from out of state (especially a handgun) that is not sent from an FFL in your home state. I would recomend contacting the FFL that you are shipping it to to confirm the details PRIOR to shipping. If you do elect to ship from an FFL in your state, they have to be registered with the California Department of Justice Firearms Bureau to import guns into CA... yeah, kind of a joke if you ask me. I guess we are our own country now:rolleyes:

I know several CA LEO's who have bought UZI's, HK91's, H&K 94's, Galil's, etc... Believe it or not, my parting gift from my last dept was a registered AW 7.5 inch barrel AR-15 pistol. Some agencies are not as restrictive as others depending on size, politics and location...

As a side note, thank you for doing business with someone in CA. I know we can be a headache to deal with, but we really appreaciate the time you have taken to complete this sale to a CA resident.

Mike

df662
05-05-2009, 8:26 PM
He stated that his FFL does accept shipments from non FFL holders. I just want to cover my butt as far as shipping the pistol into CA. Once it is there it is his responsibility to come up with the paperwork from his department for the FFL for the registration/transfer. So to sum it all up, I am allowed to ship the pistol as is with the 30 rd magazine into CA as long as I receive a copy of the FFL license and and the CA assault weapons license correct?

gunrun45
05-05-2009, 8:33 PM
Yep. You got it. I would still call the FFL when you find out who it is, just to make sure that everything is in line.

df662
05-05-2009, 8:35 PM
OK guys, thanks alot for your help, this was a great learning experience. Thanks again :)

gunrun45
05-05-2009, 8:35 PM
Any time. Thanks again for working with us :)

1*mike
05-05-2009, 8:38 PM
He stated that his FFL does accept shipments from non FFL holders. I just want to cover my butt as far as shipping the pistol into CA. Once it is there it is his responsibility to come up with the paperwork from his department for the FFL for the registration/transfer. So to sum it all up, I am allowed to ship the pistol as is with the 30 rd magazine into CA as long as I receive a copy of the FFL license and and the CA assault weapons license correct?

Correct. And GSG5s are not AWs per CA-DOJ because its a rim fire. However, the high cap mag does require letter head from his dept.

I often buy high cap mags directly from online retailers. I just provide them w/ the letter head and they ship them.

And I second the thanks for dealing w/ the People Republik of Cali

gunrun45
05-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Correct. And GSG5s are not AWs per CA-DOJ because its a rim fire. However, the high cap mag does require letter head from his dept.

I often buy high cap mags directly from online retailers. I just provide them w/ the letter head and they ship them.

No, the high cap mags do NOT require a letter from the department. Per CA DOJ firearms they only require proof of employment and they specifically state that your work ID is all that is required. Some retailers require a letter to cover their kesters, but it is not required. This is stated on their main website. Under the old Federal ban, a letter was required to purchase mags over the now expired federal 10 round limit.

From the statement that the buyer would be providing a letter from his employer I gathered that it was a centerfire gun, not a rimfire GSG.

bluestaterebel
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
With a copy of receiving FFL with CA assault weapons license you can legally ship such a gun into CA. Receiving a copy of his department letter is an extra bonus measure of insurance for you, but not required as far as I know. His department letter will require the Make, Model and serial number of the firearm in order to register it as an AW in CA. That really isn't your problem though since its his responsibility to register it. Technically, if he is not a LEO in CA, you can still legally send it to the FFL in CA (although not recomended). If the FFL does not receive the proper paperwork from the buyer, they will not release it to him and the buyer is then stuck trying to get rid of the gun out of state while it sits at the FFL that you sent it to. Trust me, this has happened before with handguns that are bought online, sent to an FFL and then they can't be registered to the buyer because they are not on the approved list of handguns for sale in CA.

It is the CA FFL's responsibility to make sure that the purchaser is legally eligible to take posession of the firearm in CA. If the buyer is a LEO, he will have a copy of his department ID and a letter from his chief or sheriff authorizing the purchase of this gun that is considered an Assault Weapon by CA law. It is up to the buyer to fill out the applicable paperwork here in CA.

If he or she is a LEO, they are exempt from CA's high cap mag laws and the "safe handgun" list that limits sales of several models of guns in CA.

Just as a heads up, some FFL's in Ca will not accept a gun from out of state (especially a handgun) that is not sent from an FFL in your home state. I would recomend contacting the FFL that you are shipping it to to confirm the details PRIOR to shipping. If you do elect to ship from an FFL in your state, they have to be registered with the California Department of Justice Firearms Bureau to import guns into CA... yeah, kind of a joke if you ask me. I guess we are our own country now:rolleyes:

I know several CA LEO's who have bought UZI's, HK91's, H&K 94's, Galil's, etc... Believe it or not, my parting gift from my last dept was a registered AW 7.5 inch barrel AR-15 pistol. Some agencies are not as restrictive as others depending on size, politics and location...

As a side note, thank you for doing business with someone in CA. I know we can be a headache to deal with, but we really appreaciate the time you have taken to complete this sale to a CA resident.

Mike

well said, and kudos to your former agency to let you register such a weapon. :thumbsup:

df662
05-06-2009, 6:08 AM

This is not a GSG. This is a 9mm caliber.

Ron-Solo
05-17-2009, 3:32 PM
This is not a GSG. This is a 9mm caliber.

Make sure the FFL is also an AW licensed dealer. LEO or not. He'll need a letter from the Dept to take delivery and register it as an AW with DOJ.

The 30 round mag reguires a hi cap mag permit by the dealer, which is a complete different animal. Dept letterhead is not required since the Fed ban expired.