PDA

View Full Version : Lucky deputies win lottery in CA

bshnt2015
05-05-2009, 5:30 PM
A great story

Marin deputies, already an item, strike it rich
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

(05-05) 16:51 PDT MARIN COUNTY -- Two cohabiting Marin County sheriff's deputies are sporting ear-to-ear grins because they're California's newest multimillionaires.

Brian Cabaud, 31, and 24-year-old Anneliese Hansen, who goes by Liese, aren't chasing crooks these days. They're taking some time off, contemplating what life will be like now that they are $75 million richer thanks to the Mega Millions lottery.

"It's very surreal," Cabaud said as he and Hansen, dressed in street clothes and flip-flops, met with reporters Tuesday at the California Lottery's district office in Hayward.

Asked what the couple would do now, Cabaud said, "Think, really. It's very new and overwhelming, and we just really haven't had any time to make any decisions."

Hansen said, "We're still waiting for them to say, you know, 'Joke's on you.' "

One thing they do know, though, is that they'll be going to Disneyland, which they haven't visited since they were kids. They want to tackle the "Space Mountain" ride. And Hansen intends to trade in her 1996 Toyota Camry for a Volvo.

On a more serious note, Cabaud said he plans to donate money to the families of the four Oakland police officers who were shot and killed by a parolee March 21.

Both Cabaud and Hansen are Marin County natives. He is a four-year veteran with the Sheriff's Department who previously worked as a mechanic at General Motors dealerships and drove ambulances, and she has been a deputy for 2 1/2 years.

Cabaud won a department lifesaving medal for his May 2008 rescue of a 77-year-old woman who fell into a canal near her home in Bel Marin Keys.

The couple said they have not discussed their future with Sheriff Robert Doyle. But Cabaud said, "We go to work, and we're at work. We devote ourselves to work. And then when we get home, we're off, and that's our life, you know? And I don't think that's really going to change."

Cabaud bought the couple's ticket during his lunch break Friday at the Strawberry Chevron on Redwood Highway in Mill Valley. He was heading to work at the Marin City substation on Saturday when a co-worker asked him, "Where's your ticket?"

Cabaud found it and realized he had the winning numbers: 9, 16, 24, 40, 43 and mega 35. He called Hansen, who was on patrol and thought he was playing a prank.

The two deputies live together in a town outside Marin, which they declined to name. Asked to specify their relationship, Hansen joked that Cabaud was her mechanic.

Hansen was working in the county jail when she first spotted Cabaud through a glass window. "He just had this goofy smile to him," she said, "and I'll never forget that day."

mecam
05-05-2009, 7:49 PM
I bet they retire next week. Good for them. :thumbsup:

bshnt2015
05-06-2009, 7:10 PM
Actually they said Disneyland 1st:thumbsup:

Poohgyrr
05-06-2009, 8:45 PM
Hah. I'd be so retired!

WokMaster1
05-07-2009, 6:58 AM
Quote: "Asked to specify their relationship, Hansen joked that Cabaud was her mechanic. Quote

I'm sure he is....:smilielol5: Good for them to be financially secured so early in their life.

trendar5
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Their German cars will now be serviced at the dealership.....I think they might want to keep working, which is admirable, but they are each going to get about 18.5 mil. They would be civil suit targets for every person that they put their hands on.....

CnCFunFactory
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Their German cars will now be serviced at the dealership.....I think they might want to keep working, which is admirable, but they are each going to get about 18.5 mil. They would be civil suit targets for every person that they put their hands on.....

+1 on that, deeper pockets than most small towns that get sued.