PDA

View Full Version : High capacity magazines

SacDep
05-05-2009, 2:13 PM
I know law enforcement can have high capacity magazine in their personal handguns. Does that apply to shotguns as well? rifles? Please only respond if you know what you're talking about. =) Thanks in advance.

B.D.Dubloon
05-05-2009, 2:39 PM
Yes.

Cpl. Haas
05-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Yes, the law doesn't define pistol vs. shotgun vs. rifle high-capacity magazines any different. Officers do still need to make sure using a hi-cap in their gun is legal... for example, a 10+ round mag in a Bullet Button equiped OLL would be an illegal AW if not already registered.

Sniper3142
05-06-2009, 7:30 AM
I know law enforcement can have high capacity magazine in their personal handguns. Does that apply to shotguns as well? rifles? Please only respond if you know what you're talking about. =) Thanks in advance.

Yes, LEO can have and use high capacity (10+) magazines (and so can civilians) in a properly configured firearm.

Digital_Boy
05-06-2009, 8:30 AM
A LEO can purchase/import new hi-cap magazines to use in their duty weapons, and can legally purchase and register AW's with the appropriate letters from their superiors on department letterhead.

Civilians can legally use hi-cap magazines that they owned before 1/1/2000 in their handguns and long arms and registered AW's. They are not allowed to purchase/import new complete magazines, but they are allowed to purchase/import any or all of the following: magazine bodies, magazine floorplates, magazine followers, magazine springs, either individually, or as a rebuild kit consisting of the complete set of components to rebuild an entire magazine.

JohnnyG
05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Actually, the law does not specify duty weapon use. LEO's can buy/import large capacity magazines for any otherwise legal shooting purpose according to the law.

Jwood562
05-07-2009, 1:27 PM
good question that I have seen and never seen a clear answer to.

For example if I carry gun for duty use with a high cap mag then I take the gun home, should I have only a 10rd magazine in it when not at work or is it OK to have the high cap magazine in it off duty

sorensen440
05-07-2009, 1:33 PM
good question that I have seen and never seen a clear answer to.

For example if I carry gun for duty use with a high cap mag then I take the gun home, should I have only a 10rd magazine in it when not at work or is it OK to have the high cap magazine in it off dutyLeo's are exempt regardless of duty or home use

spitrhyma
05-09-2009, 1:09 PM
Does it apply to LEO'S wife or kIds if used when LEO is not present?

LMAO "or kids"

BigDogatPlay
05-09-2009, 1:17 PM
Does it apply to LEO'S wife or kIds if used when LEO is not present?

There is no law that makes possession of a magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds illegal.

There are laws about manufacturing, importing, selling, offering to sell, transferring to persons not authorized by law to do any of those things. Giving them to your kids to use when you are not there could be construed as a transfer, I'd think. Loaning on the range is another story and is cool AFAIK.